• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referees Wanted

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
So there are definitely still people around interested in playing ASB, but not as many who are able to take battles at the moment. Since I can't referee every match that's out there, I'm hoping that there are some new people who are willing to give the job a shot. If you're interested, try reffing the round described below and posting the result in this thread. Please include all damage and energy calculations along with the reffing. Based on how you do, I'll either approve you as a referee or give you some tips to help you out if you want to try again.

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope to be able to add some new referees soon!

The current round to ref:
Battle Info said:
1vs1 Single
Style: Set
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: OHKO's
Arena: A Boat

A normal, cruise-ship-sized rowboat that is in the middle of the ocean. Oh, yeah, and it's about 50 miles away from Antarctica.

Current Pokémon Status said:
Red
[Scratch] porygon2 (X)
Ability: Download | Item: Dubious Disc
Status: CAPACITORS OVERLOADED! -- Attack +1, Paralysed (Moderate)
Health: 90%| Energy: 86%

Blue
[Rebecca]zigzagoon(F)
Ability: Pickup | Item: None
Health: 80%| Energy: 88%

Red said:
Use Trick Room on the first action. Then Skull Bash two times. If she protects/detects, use Defense Curl.

Trick Room ~ Skull Bash/Defense Curl ~ Skull Bash/Defense Curl

Blue said:
I believe skull bash is a low-priority move, so trick room will do /nothing/. Rebecca, use covet first and then charge beam. Finish off with an ice beam!

Covet ~ Charge beam ~ Ice beam

Last edited:
Do you know when a new ref quiz will be made? I took this quiz a loooong time ago (either February or March of 2016), and failed, so I'm ineligible until a new one is made. But I still really want to be a ref!

i would because I love math but i didn't even know that pokemon with more experience did more damage until i saw one of these quizzes
sorry

I was planning on applying after I had finished one battle, but with the shortage I might as well apply now.

EDIT: Application submitted.

Last edited:
i'm 7 questions into the quiz, will finish tomorrow
time-consuming, but not really hard, unless i'm missing something stupidly obvious

Do you know when a new ref quiz will be made? I took this quiz a loooong time ago (either February or March of 2016), and failed, so I'm ineligible until a new one is made. But I still really want to be a ref!
Ooh, yeah, somehow I completely forgot some people might have already been locked out of this one. No worries, I'll put a new one together--it should be up in a few days.

I sent mine in to Zhorken some time ago! though I'm p sure I failed hahahah
Ah, okay. I'll poke Zhorken and see if they have any idea what's up, hopefully you can get some feedback, at least, and if you passed, then that's great. :P

Thanks to everyone who's giving the quiz a shot; I'll do my best to get stuff graded and back to you as fast as I can.

Okay! It has been far, far too long, but I've responded to all the ref tests that were submitted. Thanks to everyone who took a stab at it!

This time, rather than doing a quiz + mock round, I'm just going to do the mock round: basically, I'll post all the info for one round of reffing here, you make a post as though you were a referee adjudicating that round, and then I'll assess your reffing. Within a week, promise!

When you make your post, please also include your calculations. This makes it a lot easier for me to check your work!

Without further ado, here's the battle info, which I'll also update into the first post:

Battle Info said:
1vs1 Single
Style: Set
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: OHKO's
Arena: A Boat

A normal, cruise-ship-sized rowboat that is in the middle of the ocean. Oh, yeah, and it's about 50 miles away from Antarctica.

Current Pokémon Status said:
Red
[Scratch] porygon2 (X)
Ability: Download | Item: Dubious Disc
Status: CAPACITORS OVERLOADED! -- Attack +1, Paralysed (Moderate)
Health: 90%| Energy: 86%

Blue
[Rebecca]zigzagoon(F)
Ability: Pickup | Item: None
Health: 80%| Energy: 88%

Red said:
Use Trick Room on the first action. Then Skull Bash two times. If she protects/detects, use Defense Curl.

Trick Room ~ Skull Bash/Defense Curl ~ Skull Bash/Defense Curl

Blue said:
I believe skull bash is a low-priority move, so trick room will do /nothing/. Rebecca, use covet first and then charge beam. Finish off with an ice beam!

Covet ~ Charge beam ~ Ice beam

Last edited:
Alright! Ha, I've checked this thread several times but noted the lack of a quiz as it was still in the works. Guess that means I need to actually read threads rather than just skim.

Without any more waffling, here I go:

As Porygon2, the newest hopeful to be a The Cave of Dragonflies Referee, entered the plain, beige room the screen hanging above the door switched on, reading "Porygon2: 00%". A mirror on the other side of the room reflected the score, behind it were the elders of the ASB, scrutinising the referee's ability.

"Cold Storage" barked a computerised voice from overhead. With that, the projectors flickered on, overlaying an image on the drab, beige room.

The image of ice covered the floor, hologrammatical crates stacked high over eachother. The walls turned plain grey, with ice creeping up from the floor.

Two images of trainers flickered to life. The one on the left appeared to be the Pokémon Trainer Red in his Generation 1 garb. The one on the right appeared to be the Gym Leader Blue, also in his Generation 1 garb.

In 30 fps, both trainers simultaneously threw their Poké Balls. As the Pokémon appeared, their stats came up on the convenient tablet Porygon2 was holding. Red sent out his Slowpoke, Dopey, and Blue matched that with his Absol, Katrina.

"Let the battle begin" barked the computerised voice again.

Round One​

Red (OO)
slowpoke
Dopey ♂ | Oblivious
Health: 100%

Energy: 100%

Commands:
Headbutt~Water Gun~Confusion
Pooooooke

(OO) Blue
absol
Pressure | ♀ Katrina
100% :Health

100% :Energy

:Commands
Toxic~Swords Dance~Megahorn
:Status
"It's so cold, my processor's running at peak efficiency."​

Katrina began the round. Shivering slightly (who knew computer generated disaster beasts could feel the cold?), she started to clear her throat. Making awful, gurgling, guttural sounds, the Absol was collecting all of the disgusting and bilious substances in her body. A squirming lump travelled up her throat and into her mouth, horrible purple and sickly green liquid dribbling from her clenched teeth. She took a step forward, opening her maw and spitting out the mass of toxins. This revolting ball of liquids flew through the air, landing with a sickly spludge on Dopey's head. The toxins seeping in and poisoning the Slowpoke.

Even with the painful venom seeping into Dopey's body, he kept the official Slowpoke™ oblivious expression. Staring blankly into Katrina's soul, he slowly took a couple of steps back. His little nubby legs didn't slip on the fake-but-possibly-real-to-him ice. After a few slow steps, he started to move forward. Initially at a painfully slow pace, he began to pick up momentum. Trotting along at a nice pace, he lowered his head. Faster and faster he became (but still quite slow, he's a Slowpoke y'know) until he was under a foot away from Katrina. There he sprung himself off of the ground and collided head first with the Absol, sending both parties sliding back some on the fake ice.

Shaking off the 36kg of Slowpoke that had just collided with her, Katrina's weird scythe-head-horn-thing began to glow. Following suit were her eyes, both glowing with an off-grey colour. Jigging side to side, she bobbed her head, waving around the weird scythe-head-horn-thing. This grew with intensity, her head waving around, trotting on the spot. Her tail wagged, glowing faintly too. As this bizarre dance occurred, her weird scythe-head-horn-thing, claws and tail all grew slightly. Suddenly the dance ended, the glowing dissipating into the air. Katrina appeared to be more fearsome.

Dopey appeared unphased. Who knew what was going on in his oblivious little head. The bizarre dancing of a disaster beast named in poor taste left no impression whatsoever on him. After a second of doing literally nothing, Dopey opened his mouth. There a small torrent of water arched in the air to strike Katrina on the weird scythe-head-horn-thing. Being only a small torrent of water, it did provide some damage, but more just succeeded in knocking the Absol back by maybe three inches.

This was the moment Katrina had been waiting for. After spending the first two actions preparing, now was her time to shine. She sturdied her stance as she concentrated. Shutting her eyes tight, her weird scythe-head-horn-thing glowed faintly green. The longer she concentrated, the more green it glowed. In addition, the weird scythe-head-horn-thing grew a little too. Opening her eyes, she let out a fearsome (what noise to Absols make? It sounds like a oo-OO-oo) "oo-OO-oo" and charged forward. Claws scraped the ice, sending a mild cloud of slush behind her. She lifted her head as she approached the not-at-all-fussed Dopey. She slammed her head forward, striking Dopey with the growing-and-glowing-green-weird-scythe-head-horn-thing sending him flying back several feet. Hitting the ground with an inelegant thud.

Dopey returned to an upright position. That unsettling blank look remained. Again it did nothing for almost a full second, then its eyes started to glow blue. Its eyes glowed blue for what must have been maybe thirty to forty seconds. But nothing happened. It was trying to use confusion against a Dark-type Pokémon. That's what happened.

Both Pokémon froze and the projection flickered off. The drab, beige room returned.

End of Round One.​

Red (OO)
slowpoke
Dopey ♂ | Oblivious
Health: 081%

Energy: 090%

Commands:
Headbutt~Water Gun~Confusion
Simulation switched off. Badly Poisoned (2% next round)

(OO) Blue
absol
Pressure | ♀ Katrina
088% :Health

087% :Energy

:Commands
Toxic~Swords Dance~Megahorn
:Status
Simulation switched off​

Action 1:
Katrina's Toxic -> 4% energy used
Accuracy roll -> 50. Hit

Dopey's Headbutt
70/10 -> 7% damage done
70/20 +1 (eff) * 1.2 -> 6% energy used
Critical roll -> 33. No

-1% health from Dopey (Toxic)

Action 2:
Katrina's Swords Dance -> 2% energy used

Dopey's Water Gun
40/10 * 1.25 (STAB) -> 5% damage done
40/20 - 1 (STAB) * 1.2 -> 2% energy used
Critical roll -> 98. No

Action 3:
Katrina's Megahorn
120/10 * 1.5 (Super Eff) -> 18% damage done
120/20 + 1 (over 100) -> 7% energy used
Accuracy roll -> 22. Hit
Critical roll -> 51. No

Dopey's Confusion
50/10 * 1.25 * 0 -> 0% damage done
50/20 - 1 *1.2 -> 2% energy used

Last edited:
FYI, I'm going to be grading this in three days. So if there's anybody else who was interested in making an attempt at this test, please get your test reffing in before then, or you'll have to start all over with whatever the next test round ends up being.

Welp, this ended up being a pretty easy one to grade.

I enjoyed reading your prose. It's clear, easy to read, and nicely descriptive of how the battle's playing out. Some nice humor as well. I don't have any complaints.

Your numbers look great. Nothing to worry about there.

All in all, heartily approved. Welcome to the team!

...it occurs to me I don't actually know how to give someone referee powers on the database, but I'll talk to Zhorken about getting that done. Feel free to do some reffing in the meantime if you'd like; it's easy enough to add stuff into the database after the fact she said about work someone else would have to do.

For everyone else, a new referee test is available!

The ref breathes in deeply. This is his, what, second or third time taking the test? He can’t blow it off now. He has to impress.

The thought flits across his mind as the unrelenting winds turn his umbrella inside out.

=Round One=

Red

meowth
PC9NyEI.png

meowth
Goldpaw (M)
Health: 46% | Energy: 63%
Ability: Technician
Commands: Hypnosis~Rest/Zap Cannon~Sleep Talk/Chill

Blue
chansey
PC9NyEI.png

chansey
Persephone (F) @Lucky Egg
Health: 83% | Energy: 37%
Ability: Serene Grace
Status: Shielded by a safeguard (3 more actions) | Mood: “A nice beach chair would do.”
Commands: Protect~Hyper Beam~Focus Punch

The rain falls in sheets, soaking the few brave, foolish souls duking it out on the gloomy shoreline. The weather doesn’t get to Goldpaw, though. Although the fighting has left him battered and bruised, he still has some pep in his step; he merrily bounces on the heels of his feet. Persephone, on the other hand, looks much more worn out. She scans the shoreline for a chair –or anything she can repurpose into a stool, really- but frowns when she finds nothing of the sort.

She snaps out of her reverie when her Trainer gives out commands. She manifests a light-blue barrier around her current pale-green one. Swirls of the barriers’ colors intermingle with each other, reminiscent of seawater. The display would have been a pleasanter sight if you could actually see the thing. However, the Meowth closes his eyes and places his hands on top of his head, locked in deep concentration. The coin on his forehead glows an eerie pink. The peculiar waves it emits bounce harmlessly off the barriers surrounding Persephone. She allows the shield to dissipate, now that its purpose has been fulfilled.

Goldpaw grimaces at the failure of his attack. This is one of the few times Hypnosis lands, and it fails even now? He scoffs and rolls his eyes. Instead, he begins producing an orb of erratically crackling electricity. As it steadily grows larger and more unstable, rain sizzles against its surface. Goldpaw sends his zappy creation careening towards Persephone with an excited nya! The attacks slams her side. Little jolts dance and crackle along the emerald shield, trying to find an opening to no avail. She breathes a sigh of relief as the last of the electricity peters out. Now, it’s her turn to retaliate. She opens her mouth and summons her own little ball of energy. Once it grows to about the size of a volleyball, Persephone shoots a beam of pure ferocity that engulfs the cat Pokémon, illuminating the battlefield for the duration of the attack.
The hit knocks the wind out of Goldpaw. Once the assault’s over, he notices attack also took a toll on the Chansey. He paces in a circle for a bit and lies down, relaxing as much as the stormy circumstances would allow. Persephone looks on, herself greatly exhausted by the Hyper Beam. The Safeguard then dissipates, leaving Persephone completely vulnerable to the elements.

=End of Round One=

Red
meowth
PC9NyEI.png

meowth
Goldpaw (M)
Health: 29% | Energy: 64%
Ability: Technician
Commands: Hypnosis~Zap Cannon~Chill

Blue
chansey
PC9NyEI.png

chansey
Persephone (F) @Lucky Egg
Health: 71% | Energy: 26%
Ability: Serene Grace
Status: Normal. | Mood: Could really use that beach chair about now.
Commands: Protect~Hyper Beam~nothing (recharge)

Action 1:
-Hypnosis: 2% energy consumed, accuracy roll 6.
-Protect: 2% energy consumed.
-Safeguard: 1% energy consumed.
-Debris Roll: 79
-Totals: Goldpaw consumed 2% energy, Persephone consumed 3% energy.
Action 2:
-Zap Cannon: 12% damage inflicted, 7% energy consumed, accuracy roll 7, crit roll 86 (no crit).
-Hyper Beam: 17% damage inflicted, 6% energy consumed, accuracy roll 86, crit roll 27 (no crit).
-Debris Roll: 58
-Totals: Goldpaw took 17% damage and consumed 7% energy, Persephone took 12% damage and consumed 7% energy.

Action 3:
-Chill: 10% energy recovered.
-Debris Roll: 74
-Totals: Goldpaw recovered 10% energy, Persephone consumed 1% energy.

Grand Totals:
Goldpaw: 46%-17%=29% health, 63%-9%+10%=64% energy.
Chansey: 83%-12%=71% health, 37%-11%=26% energy
Ref Notes:
-Goldpaw went first since he has a speed of 90.
-I rolled debris by rolling 1-100. If the roll landed 10 or less, I would have rolled for the target.
-I assumed the combatants’ experience to be less than 4 each.
-Since Hyper Beam was not indicated to be a single action attack, I assumed it wasn’t.
-Blue commands first.
-Red commands next.
-I ref.

I'm going to be grading this in about three days, so if you've been working on a reffing, please try to have it up soon!

You did a nice job with the battle description, especially in terms of incorporating the arena into the action and your descriptions of what was going on. The only place I was a little confused was during the second action where you described the zap cannon: when you talked about the electricity trying to find a way in past her shield and eventually petering out, I thought she'd used another protect or something.

For your calculations, though, it would have been helpful for you to break things down more, e.g. hyper beam did 17% damage because of what? Ordinarily I'd expect 15% base damage, then another 3% for STAB, which would make it 18%. I'm not sure whether you're taking your energy/damage values out of the DB or calculating them manually, because the DB lists it as 8%, which is accurate (7% based on its base power, plus another 1% for its guaranteed paralysis), but you took 7 here. Those are the only problems I saw, but I am curious how you got those numbers. (I also, personally, knock 1% off pokémon even on turns they're doing nothing unless they're actively chilling, but that's no big deal at all.)

I already talked to you about the hyper beam thing, but for the benefit of any prospective referees who might be looking at old grades: I would usually have the hyper beam performed in one action here, because otherwise Blue's commands don't make much sense. Alternatively, I would have asked the battler for clarification... since Blue was commanding second anyway, they could always have amended their orders if they liked. (Since I'm the one running ref exams at the moment, you can always ask me for clarification if you want, which is what ILS did!)

The final verdict is a little hard... the only issues here are quite minor, but if the small discrepancies are the result of you doing something weird with your calcs, it's not bueno. I think I'm going to say approved, but I would like to hear how you arrived at those damage/energy numbers!

For everyone else, new battle scenario's up! Happy reffing!

Shiver Raft: Phoenix’s Mock Round

A chill permeates the air on board a large boat. Two battlers, the rivals, Red and Blue, stare each other in the eyes. The pokémon on the field do likewise. Well, at least they try to. Scratch’s eyes flicker and glitch, while Rebecca’s eyes dart to and fro, anxious.

Blue breaks the silence, as always. “What’s taking that newbie so long?”

Red shoots Blue a look.

“Well, the form clearly said-”

As he complains says this, a small dinghy with a little bell on it approaches the boat. It appears hardly large enough to hold the testee, let alone the 2 Asberian officials behind him. The name of the fine dinghy reads, “Mighty Lapras.”

As the nervous ref steps onto the boat, followed by the officials, he blows the whistle for attention.

“Alright, I want a good clean fight. No Fissures, no Guillotines, no- you get the idea. On your mark, get set, battle!”

Mock Round
Scratch [Porygon2]
porygon2
Ability:Download | Item:Dubious Disk
HP: 90%, NRG:86%
Commands: Trick Room~Skull Bash/Defense Curl~Skull Bash/Defense Curl

Rebecca [Zigzagoon]
zigzagoon
Ability:Pickup | Item:[None]
HP:80% | NRG:88%
Commands:Covet ~ Charge Beam ~ Ice Beam

On the word “Begin”, Rebecca saunters toward the digital pokémon. As Scratch tries to calculate the meaning behind this seemingly friendly move, Rebecca yanks the disk out of Scratch’s drive and punches the pokémon before retreating away. Scratch is still making calculations. Suddenly, the digital pokémon releases a large field, changing the surroundings briefly into a strange, cubic room before returning to the cold surroundings of the ocean. Rebecca suddenly feels sluggish, while Scratch seems a great deal less burdened by paralysis than before.

Scratch lowers his head, taking aim at the Zigzagoon while toughening up his defenses, charging an attack. Rebecca takes this opportunity to gather electricity into her body, then releases the charge, letting the beam course towards Scratch. However, the beam passes right over Scratch’s head, as Scratch goes from charging up to charging forward, impacting Rebecca with his head at full force.

Scratch returns to the head-down defenses-up pose from before, while Rebecca charges yet another beam. This time, however, the beam hits its mark with searing cold. Scratch’s vision turns to static for a second, before returning to normal in time to charge forward once more, striking Rebecca with his skull in time for the round to end.

End of Mock Round

Scratch [Porygon2]
porygon2
Ability:Download | Item:[None]
Status: Pondering whether Porygon2s even have skulls.- +1 ATK, Mild Paralysis
HP: 72%, NRG:59%
Used: Trick Room~Skull Bash~Skull Bash

Rebecca [Zigzagoon]
zigzagoon
Ability:Pickup | Item:Dubious Disk
HP:46% | NRG:76%
Commands:Covet ~ Charge Beam(missed) ~ Ice Beam

The referee blows his whistle and documents the results of the round, while the league officials document his documentation skills. They nod to each other, then signal for the referee to return to the dinghy.

“Wait, what about us?” Blue asks, whining a bit.

One of the officials looks at him, raising an eyebrow. “You two are strong, right?” Red nods, while Blue prepares to brag. The official cuts him off. “You can row.” The officials, plus Phoenix, motor off in their dinghy, chuckling.
action 1: the coveting
speed: rebecca=60, scratch= 60 20 (prlz)
rebecca uses covet, (crit roll=43, no crit) base=6, w/stab=7.5 w/stats=8.5= 8%dmg, -3% nrg (BONUS: steal Dubious Disc)

scratch uses trick room. (Parlyz chance 18%. Roll: 75. No parlyze. Chance reduced to 16%) good job, scratch. -5% nrg

end of act. 1:
scratch= 82% hp, 81% nrg (lost dubious disc) (mod. prlyz)
rebecca= 80% hp, 85% nrg (gained dubious disc)

Action 2: Scratch is done w/ your shit

trick room is in effect.
Speed: rebecca=60 scratch = 60 20 (prlz) (ORDER REVERSED DUE TO TRICK ROOM)
scratch readies for skull bash (+1 def)

rebecca uses charge beam (90% hitchance. Roll: 96. miss.) -4% nrg

scratch releases skull bash (prlyz chance: 16%. Roll= 33, no prlyz. reduce chance to 14%),(crit roll:23 no crit) base=13 w/stab= 16.25 w/stats= 17.25= 17% dmg. 8 + 3(one action bonus)= -11% nrg (no longer def. boosted)

end of act. 2
rebecca= 63% hp, 81% nrg
scratch= 82% hp, 70% nrg (mod. Prlyz)

action 3: step up your game, rebecca

trick room is in effect.
Speed: rebecca=60 scratch = 60 20 (prlz) (ORDER REVERSED DUE TO TRICK ROOM)
scratch readies for skull bash (+1 def.)

rebecca uses ice beam (crit roll:27 no crit) base=9, w/stats=10=10% dmg (frz chance: 10% roll=52 no frz) -5% nrg

scratch releases skull bash (prlyz chance=14% roll= 32 no prlyz, chance reduced to 12%. prlyz reduced to Mild) (crit roll: 98 no crit) base=13 w/stab= 16.25 w/stats= 17.25= 17% dmg. 8 + 3(one action bonus)= -11% nrg (no longer def. boosted)

end of round
scratch= 72% hp, 59% nrg (mild parlyz.)
rebecca= 46% hp, 76% nrg

Awesome! Thanks for applying.

For anyone else who might be interested in this round, I'll try to get grades in in a week or so, so be sure to post before then if you want a shot at this test!

Back
Top Bottom