• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How long do Pokemon live?

Ayame

Weeping Willow Pines.
Seriously, how long do normal Pokemon (like Skitty, Charizard, nonlegendaries) live?
Like, even in the game, Pokemon die... But in the anime, Ninetales supposedly lives ages... I know that's based on kitsune legends and such, but seriously, who is dying first? Your Pidgey, or you? Personally, I think it would be devastating to have your Pokemon die of old age. Has this been mentioned in the anime? I know they can die, say, if they have large wounds/sacrifice themselves, but Pokemon hardly seem to age. They just evolve, but they're basically timeless. Especially legendaries, who live ages and ages.
If Pokemon live a long, long time, then what happens when you die? Do they die, too, or do they get released? Would they die more easily having to fend for themselves in the wild, or would their lifespan stay the same?
It seems so strange, and even though they obviously cannot perish ingame, how long do the creatures live in general?
Or do Pokemon die and become ghost Pokemon? That would be kind of awesome...
Also: Cubone's mother apparently dies after childbirth... Just remembered that...

Last edited:
Don't forget the entire mountain in ruby sapphire and emerald... also all of the towers dedicated to deceased pokemon....as for their lifespans, I have no clue...But that reference to the ninetales that you mentioned, its owner/trainer did die. and yet it still wasn't released....Weird.

I have the feeling that they don't die due to old age. In the anime, Ash and company are told by various people that so-and-so caught this Pokémon when he/she was a child and in most cases, we're talking about captures that happened twenty or thirty years ago.

I do think that Pokémon can die from unnatural causes, like a Charmander being left out in the rain. Should its tale be extinguished, it'll die. Similar to the case of Marowak dying after giving birth.

In that sense, no, Pokémon don't die at a certain point. Their deaths are unexpected and unpredictable. Otherwise, they life forever.

And if they're meant to live forever, there's no way their purpose was to die and be recreated as Ghost-Type Pokémon.

At least, that's my view on the life of Pokémon.

I think they do die, but maybe not for decades.

I have to think about this, hm...

Time to hit the shower.

My thinking chair died after an unfortunate run-in with burritos.
I think they are immortal, unless killed or by unnatural causes, like Hatter said.

Pokemon whose trainers die might give up the will to live or something and waste away... Of course, with definite exceptions.
I don't know. It's an interesting subject, I think.

It's said that Ninetales lives for a thousand years, and Wartortle lives for ten thousand, but other than that, I think that Pokemon live as long as their animal counterparts normally do. It's most logical.

@Darksong: Then if so, Pikachu should have died by now.

I think I agree with Hatter. :/

I think that most regular pokemon have a lifespan close to ours. Like, remember that one Pikachu with the blue eyes that could sense big waves? His trainer has had that thing for years!
And BTW, wasn't the Cubone's mother killed by team rocket? Or are you talking about other Marowak and Cubone. (If its the last one, I have some sort of theory that has something to do with Kangaskhan. But that's a thread for another day.)

It said the surfing Pikachu was around 40 in that episode, didn't it? Or am I making that number up? o.o

I think they would probably live longer than normal animals, but the smaller, more common species (Rattata, Pidgey, etc) probably don't live as long as, say, a Dragonite, I guess mostly due to the fact that the smaller ones would also be more likely to fall prey to a bigger one.

And actually, what about the Pokemon like Metagross and Voltorb? Can they just float around forever? Hm....

No... Metacross and Voltorb can be melted so then you would just burn them into smoke and then I don't think they will live

What about manmade pokemon, like Porygon? Would they live until "turned off"?

^Yes.

(I love considering the 'life' of the Porygon line :D)

Anyway, I'd say most Pokémon have lifespans similar to humans. I think, however, that the bigger, 'tougher' ones (Finaol evolutions and such) live longer then that. Also, legendaries, being sort-of-deities, are immortal to natural death. In my opinion.

They can't be immortal. Remember in RBFRLG, Gary's Raticate dies. (I think it's his Raticate but I don't remember well.) Also there is the little girl who who gives you Swift in RB and Return in FRLG, she says she doesn't need it anymore because her pokemon died. And in the lobby of the Lavender Tower, a girl says something like, 'My Growlithe... why did you have to die?'.

Um. I don't think the pokemon creators have actually worked anything out regarding lifespans. I think Pokemon just die when it's conveniant to the story.

Last edited:
Maybe they live the same amount as ordinary animals, they just don't age while in their balls.

Either that or they don't die of old age.

Until the internal battery dies
I think that they live after a certain amount of time outside their Pokéball (how long I'm not to sure), I don't believe that they age inside their balls, as they are turned into energy inside the balls being held by the mirrors in it, so they are held in a sort of state of waiting IMO.

Back
Top Bottom