• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

On Removing Clutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

surskitty

「にがいのは いやだ」って…
Pronoun
they
Why are threads consisting of people counting or posting random numbers acceptable?

Why are 30% of the forum's posts in forum games, usually in the threads with no actual discussion?

Can anyone actually justify this or can I lock them and preferably draw and quarter the ones responsible?

ETA: Main issue resolved; forum killed for half an hour courtesy of me pressing the wrong button while dealing with a 17k post thread filled with jack squat; now discussing CLEANING THINGS UP IN GENERAL

Last edited:
Re: On Stupid Threads in Forum Games

I vote for purging forum games for all the reasons listed in the posts below
very few of the threads involve any thought, exactly one involved discussion in the form of a rivalry, and some people are saying the one thread with 17000 posts may be why tcodf is so slow recently, so...

Why are threads consisting of people counting or posting random numbers acceptable?

Why are 30% of the forum's posts in forum games, usually in the threads with no actual discussion?

simple and easy postcount++

I knew surskitty posted this because all of her Forum Discussion threads begin with "On."

Seconding purging Forum Games altogether.

There're a few good threads in forum games, though. Presumably. And then there's things like that one counting thread that contains 8% of all posts.

Good forum games could always be moved to Miscellaneous Discussion. Right now it's just a bunch of polls so it's not really going to hurt anything.

Why?

Some people enjoy posting there and like it, just because you see it as pointless doesn't mean that you should altogether get rid of what other people enjoy.
I don't particularly like or participate in Forum Games, but this is stupid. Heaps of people post in this thread and it's unfair to get rid of it just because you don't particularly like it.

A lot of people do enjoy it, and who really gives a shit if it's 30% of the forum's posts - I thought quality was more important than postcount anyway.

33%, actually!

And 8% of the entire forum is contained within US Vs. The World, the point of which seems to be merely fighting back and forth over a counter that doesn't mind when the same person counts twice. Or 3700 times, in the case of Arylett.

One in every twelve posts, across the entire forum, is in a thread dedicated to bumping a number up or down by 1.
One in every three is content-free.

(Note that surskitty deleted and subsequently undeleted the above mentioned thread, which is throwing things off; vB didn't restore the posts in the thread to either user or thread postcounts. Add 17500 to the total of Forum Games and total posts globally and you'll get about 72,000 in Forum Games and 217,000 total.)

Move the threads with some point that are active appropriately; purge all the games if you're going to.

Why?

Some people enjoy posting there and like it, just because you see it as pointless doesn't mean that you should altogether get rid of what other people enjoy.
I don't particularly like or participate in Forum Games, but this is stupid. Heaps of people post in this thread and it's unfair to get rid of it just because you don't particularly like it.

A lot of people do enjoy it, and who really gives a shit if it's 30% of the forum's posts - I thought quality was more important than postcount anyway.
Please explain to me the value of incrementing/decrementing a counter repeatedly.

Quality is more important than postcount, but that's rather a lot of posts all being used for ... nothing useful.

Please explain to me the value of incrementing/decrementing a counter repeatedly.

Quality is more important than postcount, but that's rather a lot of posts all being used for ... nothing useful.

Because people enjoy it. I don't like many of the forum games - but honestly, is 3000 pointless posts really harming anyone? Deleting the forum games isn't going to make TCoD any better of a forum, it just means a lot of people are going to be disgusted with the fact that these silly threads are actually removed because the mods don't like it. They're not against the rules; leave them alone.

Or 3700 times, in the case of Arylett.

does this serve any purpose other than to flame Arylett? If you don't like her, fine, but seriously grow up.

On the issue of post count:

post count should count posts with good quality information

not counting and other worthless shit

post count used to be OFF in forum games, for chrissake

I vote for purging forum games for all the reasons listed in the posts below
Har.

some people are saying the one thread with 17000 posts may be why tcodf is so slow recently, so...
It's entirely possible. To get to the last page (862 or so) of that thread, the database first has to find the first 861 pages so it can skip over them. That's a little harder than just grabbing the first ones it finds. I've known vB forums that enforce closing after 1000 posts to avoid this.

There're a few good threads in forum games, though. Presumably.
Where?

The same reason outright spam isn't allowed: because it degrades the quality of the forums as a whole and encourages people to pull the same nonsense everywhere else.

One in three.

They're not against the rules
There's a no-spamming rule.

I still hold that forums deemed unworthy of counting towards post count are unworthy of existing in the first place.

But this isn't about postcount; that's merely a statistic. This is about the posts themselves.

Some people enjoy murdering kittens with butter knives
that doesn't mean people should just stand aside and watch them do it just because they enjoy it
some of us *like* our kittens alive and intelligent with meaningful things to say. The kinds of people who kill them degrade our society of kitten-loving fellows.

Ha, I remember when Forum Games was more than those goddamn counter games. Sure I posted in them a few times, but I never saw the thrill at all.

Third/fourthing (whichever it is now) purging, but only if it's just the counter games.

...speculation that the massive thread is what's making tcodf run so slowly recently...

Because people enjoy it. I don't like many of the forum games - but honestly, is 3000 pointless posts really harming anyone? Deleting the forum games isn't going to make TCoD any better of a forum, it just means a lot of people are going to be disgusted with the fact that these silly threads are actually removed because the mods don't like it. They're not against the rules; leave them alone.

does this serve any purpose other than to flame Arylett? If you don't like her, fine, but seriously grow up.

actually I believe posts/threads with no value count as spam

also when the fuck did this have to do with flaming Arylett? it has to do with the quality of thread material in forum games, and people abusing it for post count (to be the super coolest members on the forums!)

Because people enjoy it. I don't like many of the forum games - but honestly, is 3000 pointless posts really harming anyone?
Yes. In case you hadn't noticed, the forums decide they don't feel like loading every five minutes or so, and this could definitely contribute to that.

Aside from that - quality control. I know stupid posters won't go away if Forum Games is closed, but we'd be removing a huge outlet for stupidity. It benefits everyone.

The same reason outright spam isn't allowed: because it degrades the quality of the forums as a whole and encourages people to pull the same nonsense everywhere else.

One in three.

How on earth is forum games degrading the quality of the forum? They're simple little games that people like to play.

Also, who really cares if one in three posts is a forum games post, honestly. It just shows that people like posting in forum games, not that the forum is in any way degraded.

Aside from that - quality control. I know stupid posters won't go away if Forum Games is closed, but we'd be removing a huge outlet for stupidity. It benefits everyone.

Yeah, except the people who like posting there, you know? :|

Yes: it takes up server space. This in itself is not a huge deal, but there's no reason why 30% of the posts here are ... nothing. (I'm assuming that maybe 3% of forum games is actually good, which is probably overestimating, but hey.)
I don't really care either way about Arylett, actually! I do, however, find it completely ridiculous that a rather sizable portion of the forum consists of absolutely nothing.
On the issue of post count:

not counting and other worthless shit

post count used to be OFF in forum games, for chrissake
No, post count should count posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom