• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Chaon vs. Xaldin

M&F

tikitok
Pronoun
any
Sorry for the delay. The forum was being slow on me.

My first battle ever!

Battle Format: 1 v 1

DQ Time: 1 week

Set

Damage Cap: 30%

Banned and Restricted Moves: Only OHKO moves.

Arena Description: Shadow Forest. A thick covering of trees all around blocks most light from the forest and makes it very hard to see. The trees are thick and could potentially do significant damage to smaller pokemon (i.e. Sunkern, but only minor damage to mid-sized pokemon, and no damage at all to larger pokemon. The air is also very dry, making it easy to light things on fire.

Chaon's active squad:
- Bael (Male Vulpix - Flame Body)
- Valence (Female Ponyta - Blaze)
- Mendall (Male Growlithe - Flash Fire)
- Theod (Female Teddiursa - Scrappy)

Xaldin's active squad:
- Fireblitz (Male Chimchar - Blaze)
- Nightslice (Male Scyther - Technician)
- Valandar (Male Ralts - Synchronize)

Random.org called a 60, which means:
- Xaldin sends out
- Chaon sends out and issues commands
- Xaldin issues commands
- I ref

By the way, Chaon, most of your team has abilities they couldn't possibly have. A Vulpix can only have Flash Fire, so I'll have Bael have that, but you'll have to tell me whether Valence has Flash Fire or Run Away, and whether Theod has Quick Feet or Pickup.

(Why must I always pick first?)

Anyway, I guess that I'll use Fireblitz! Do me proud!

Last edited:
Let's go Valence! Ready anytime you are!

((My bad on the abilities. Valence will have flash fire as well, and Theod will have quick feet.))

Let's make this quick and easy, start off by using agility to get close to him , then if he attacks you, use Double Team, but if he does anything otherwise, use Take Down, then Stomp him into the dust.

Agility ~ Double Team / Take Down ~ Stomp

Last edited:
Ok, first use double team (3 clones), then use Shadow Claw. The follow it up with counter (Yes, it is an egg move).

Double Team (3 clones)~Shadow Claw~Counter

Set

Round 1

Chaon (O)
Currently out: Valence
Ponyta
Female Ponyta
Ability: Flash Fire
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Condition: Stomping the ground, eager to fight.
Commands: Agility ~ Double Team/Take Down ~ Stomp

Xaldin (O)
Currently out: Fireblitz
Chimchar
Male Chimchar
Ability: Blaze
Energy: 100%
Condition: Warming up and trying to stay focused.
Commands: Double Team (3 clones) ~ Shadow Claw ~ Counter

Arena:
Shadow Forest. A thick covering of trees all around blocks most light from the forest and makes it very hard to see. The trees are thick and could potentially do significant damage to smaller pokemon (i.e. Sunkern, but only minor damage to mid-sized pokemon, and no damage at all to larger pokemon. The air is also very dry, making it easy to light things on fire.
Arena status: Unchanged.

-----​

The trio involved in a battle that was soon to happen inched through the thin path that extended between two lines of trunks. No matter how uncomfortable, they knew it was the only way to reach the chosen arena – the trees formed a wall difficult to penetrate.

If it wasn’t for their prior knowledge of the forest, they would take much longer to find out the spot with enough room to hold a fight between Pokémon inside. It was tough to see, as very little light could pierce the ceiling of foliages that covered the whole place.

Under such circumstances, raising a flag would be in vain. The referee chose to limit himself to initiating the match in a purely verbal way. He took a brief moment to remind each trainer of the rules, and then ordered them to send out.

Both sides released Pokémon that improved each field of view. In front of either battler, stood creatures whose fire weakened the shadow that hung around. All commands issued, the round commenced with a now visible raise of a flag.

The fiery steed on Chaon’s side of the field was the first to move. She stood on her hind legs, neighing. At the blink of an eye, she stomped the ground and rushed until her image became a blur. As she passed by her opponent, said Pokémon sprang to action as well, giving chase. Both creatures ran, but mostly for the sake of running.

By the end of the marathon, Valence was all pumped up, eager to move on to the next command. Her foe hadn’t tried anything up to this point, so the idea was to use Take Down. But, who was the target? There were four of them, all identical to each other.

The chimp was not merely running along earlier, apparently – it had been gaining speed on the purpose of blurring his own image, creating a trio of identical illusions. Only one was the real deal… But which?

Deciding to take a wild guess, the Ponyta lowered her head, then sped once more. The startled Chimchars all jumped to the left. One of them failed to avoid the hit, but turned out to be an illusion. Unable to control her speed, the attacker ran straight towards a tree. The crash certainly looked painful.

Glancing at the foe with a mischievous grin, the three fire-type monkeys prepared for the counterattack. The original one summoned ghost-type power to its hands, as the clones followed suit. They leapt against the target, swinging their minute fingernails against her skin.

Not happy at all given the increasing damage she had been receiving this round, and now even more frustrated over not knowing the direction from which the attack came, Valence glared against the three foes, turning around and preparing to attack. With a furious neigh, she stood on her hind legs, then took a large step forward, throwing her weight against one of the Chimchars. However, the attack passed right through, as the two remaining chimps pointed and laughed at the Ponyta.

They didn’t even bother to attack by then. After all, they were ordered to counter an attack that never happened.

Round 1 – End

Chaon (O)
Ponyta
Female Ponyta
Health: 92%
Energy: 89%
Condition: Seriously wanting to strangle these monkeys, all two of them.

Xaldin (O)
Chimchar
Male Chimchar
Energy: 91%
Condition: Pointing and laughing.​

Additional notes:
- If I made any mistakes, please do point them out. Even if it’s just grammar.
- Take Down on the second action missed, and while Valence didn’t receive recoil damage, she still lost some health due to hitting a tree.
- Stomp on the second action also missed. And, as a consequence, Counter failed.
- For the record, since there are two Pokémon on the field that have fire on their bodies, I’m assuming the arena is lit well enough to not call for a deduction in the accuracy of all attacks.
- Xaldin attacks first next round.

OK, that was a good first round. I want you to use Fury Swipes, then Brick Break, and then Toxic. If he uses a status increasing move, use taunt. If he uses a physical attack, use counter. If he uses protect, uses captivate. Hope it is clear enough.

Fury Swipes/Taunt/Counter/Captivate~Brick Break/Taunt/Counter/Captivate~Toxic/Taunt/Counter/Captivate

[/long command string]

Okay Valence, you took a nasty hit, but don't get discouraged. Start off with a substitute, then come up from behind that nasty little monkey, and hit him as hard as you can. Then, use captivate.

Substitute + Faint Attack ~ Captivate

Last edited:
Sorry, Chaon, but two attacks in a combo still count as two attacks. And you only get three attacks per round.

You'll need to change these commands a bit.

Set

Round 2

Chaon (O)
Ponyta
Female Ponyta
Health: 92%
Energy: 89%
Condition: Seriously wanting to strangle these monkeys, all two of them.
Commands: Substitute + Faint Attack ~ Captivate

Xaldin (O)
Chimchar
Male Chimchar
Energy: 91%
Condition: Pointing and laughing.
Commands: Fury Swipes/Taunt/Counter/Captivate ~ Brick Break/Taunt/Counter/Captivate ~ Toxic/Taunt/Counter/Captivate

Arena:
Shadow Forest. A thick covering of trees all around blocks most light from the forest and makes it very hard to see. The trees are thick and could potentially do significant damage to smaller pokemon (i.e. Sunkern, but only minor damage to mid-sized pokemon, and no damage at all to larger pokemon. The air is also very dry, making it easy to light things on fire.

-----​

After roughly two minutes, both sides were done deciding on the next bits of strategy. The Pokémon faced each other, ready to fight.

Valence was eager to trample at least one of these pesky chimps. She mentally reviewed her first order. Start with Substitute and… What was it again? Faint Attack? What’s that supposed to mean? Was that an euphemism for forfeiting? Well, regardless of whether her trainer wanted to give in, she had no intention of stopping.

Hopefully, the other side of the battle was also taking their time to make out what they were ordered. The several commands were causing Fireblitz to have a headache. With a total of six different moves to consider, it was hard to get thoughts straight. Captivate, Counter, Toxic, Fury Break, Brick Swipes… Wait, wasn’t it the other way around?

While her foe stumbled to pick a move, the Ponyta decided to settle for the first part of the combo. She closed her eyes and focused deeply, attempting to channel her own life force. As she made an effort towards it, her silhouette started to form in front of her. Then, the shadow became solid, and gained the creator’s traits, with slowly increasing precision.

Once the fiery steed opened her eyes, the substitute looked exactly like she did.

She moved on to the next attack. By that time, her target was still trying to remember whether the moves were called Fury Swipes and Brick Taunt or not. Frustrated, the Chimchar gave up and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath…

As soon as he opened his eyes once more, he saw his foe closer than she should probably be. He prepared to dive toward some random direction in case she wanted to stomp him again. However, he then noticed she wasn’t exactly standing on her hind legs with a glare. Instead, she was looking straight at his eyes, with a different sort of look. Kind of… Cute.

Of course, she wasn’t willing to keep it up for much longer. This round was starting to get on her nerves. She wanted to do nothing but attack, and yet, she had been doing anything but attack. However, whatever effort she did put in performing the attack was enough, as Fireblitz was already much more focused on staring at her than at actually carrying his orders out.

After some seconds of absolutely no movement, the small monkey decided it was about time he did something that round. He was still clueless about which attack went where, so he just randomly chose to use Toxic Br- no, just Toxic. He gathered some body fluids into one large purple spit. It touched Valence’s neck… And pointlessly slid down the substitute’s body, as the real deal smirked behind.

Round 2 – End

Chaon (O)
Ponyta
Female Ponyta
Health: 77%
Energy: 80%
Condition: Feeling a bit smug, but very bored and still itching to attack.

Valence’s Susbtitute
Health: 15%

Xaldin (O)
Chimchar
Male Chimchar
Energy: 87%
Condition: Wondering why isn’t Toxic working, along with several other things.​

Additional notes:
- Sorry, Chaon, but a Ponyta can’t learn Faint Attack.
- Long strings of conditionals usually confuse Pokémon into not attacking or moving erratically. Therefore, Fireblitz didn’t attack on the first two actions, and used Toxic during the third.
- No Substitute size was specified. By standard, Valence produced a medium sized one.
- Chaon attacks first next round.

Last edited:
Well.... that was.... uneventful. Let's try getting right up to him as fast as possible and hitting him hard. Then stomp him into the dust!

Agility + Tackle ~ Stomp

(Sorry, but I can't help laughing at that round.)

Ok, that was... different... Anyway, I want you to use Focus energy, then use a Thunder Punch when she is running at you. Then finish it off with a counter!

Focus energy~Thunder Punch~Counter
er

Set

Round 3

Chaon (O)
Ponyta
Female Ponyta
Energy: 80%
Condition: Feeling a bit smug, but very bored and still itching to attack.
Commands: Agility + Tackle ~ Stomp

Valence’s Susbtitute
Health: 15%

Xaldin (O)
Chimchar
Male Chimchar
Energy: 87%
Condition: Wondering why isn’t Toxic working, along with several other things.
Commands: Focus Energy ~ Thunderpunch ~ Counter

Arena:

-----​

As the commands were issued once more, both battlers went back to facing each other, although both sides were slightly uneasy.

Once more, Valence aimed furiously at one of her opponents. She stood on her hind legs, then ran at top speed towards the target. Having been distracted beforehand, the chimps were surprised. The Ponyta lunged against one of them violently.

She landed on her legs and looked back, noticing there was only one Chimchar now, one that looked relatively unharmed. A clear indication that she missed.

Choosing to ignore his foe’s stomping anger, Fireblitz closed his eyes and tried to concentrate. The appeal put up by the fiery steed, though not completely washed away, impacted him much less now. He took a deep breath, then opened his eyes again. For a moment, it felt like time was flowing at a lower rhythm.

However, regardless of how time went by, Valence was still moving very fast. She stood on her hind legs again, preparing to make one more powerful lunge for the opponent. The fire-type monkey tried to initiate a Thunderpunch in order to counter the attack, but he couldn’t stop the Ponyta from stomping him square on the head.

After the attack, with a furious neigh, she jumped behind her Substitute.

Drawing elemental power from his essence, Fireblitz initiated the next command. Electricity crackled from his fist as he delivered an uppercut straight on Valence’s Substitute.

His next order was to counter, so, he put his guard up and waited. But the attack never came.

Round 3 – End

Chaon (O)
Ponyta
Female Ponyta
Energy: 72%
Condition: On the defensive, glad to have finally gotten to stomp that damn chimp.

Valence’s Susbtitute
Health: 10%

Xaldin (O)
Chimchar
Male Chimchar
Health: 94%
Energy: 77%
Condition: Waiting for Valence to attack.​

Additional notes:
- Somehow, I forgot to dock 15% of Valence's health as a cost for Substitute. Edited Round 2 to reflect that. Sorry for the inconvenience.
- If I may point it out, all moves involved in a combo are made in one action.
- Agility is meant to be a temporary boost, so, I should say it by now, the boost granted by the first Agility Valence used will be over next round.
- Tackle on the first action missed.
- Focus Energy on the first action diminished the effect of Captivate.
- Counter on the third action failed.

OK, that (somewhat) failed. Anyway, use another Thunder punch, then a brick Break. If the substitute is still up, use another thunder Punch, if not, then use Toxic.

Thunder Punch~Brick Break~Thunder Punch/Toxic

Nice hit Valence, but let's not get cocky. That monkey is bound to be angry, so we have to get out of his way. If the Substitute is still up, I want you to Chill out for a minute, but if not, use protect. Then create two copies of yourself to fake him out. Then finish the round with an iron tail.

Chill / Protect ~ Double Team (2 copies) ~ Iron Tail

Set

Round 4

Chaon (O)
Ponyta
Female Ponyta
Energy: 72%
Condition: On the defensive, glad to have finally gotten to stomp that damn chimp.
Commands: Chill/Protect ~ Double Team (2 clones) ~ Iron Tail

Valence’s Susbtitute
Health: 10%

Xaldin (O)
Chimchar
Male Chimchar
Health: 94%
Energy: 77%
Condition: Waiting for Valence to attack.
Commands: Thunderpunch ~ Brick Break ~ Thunderpunch/Toxic

Arena:

-----​

The dry air of the forest felt thicker with each round, as both battlers attempted to gain advantage. Taking their time to think, both battlers issued commands.

Valence would open the round… But she didn’t really move. Relying on the Substitute to keep her from harm for a while, she laid down and closed her eyes, peacefully relaxing on the grass.

Meanwhile, Fireblitz called upon the powers of his essence once more, sparks crackling from his right hand. He delivered a quick jab too the Substitute, striking it square on the chest. It made a crack, but didn’t break it altogether.

After regaining some energy, the Ponyta was ready to move once more, even though she felt a bit slower than before. She remembered how much of a bother it was to attack through the Double Team used by her opponent earlier, and she imagined it’d be a pleasure to give him a taste of his own medicine. She stood up and sprinted around the Chimchar, her copy crafted with life force following suit. Their image became extremely blurry after a while. When they stopped running, the two fiery steeds were now six.

The crack on the chest made it easy to tell apart which clones were from the real Valence and which were from the Substitute, but both had three anyway, so, it wasn’t that much helpful.

The chimp remembered how his foe acted while he had Double Team up himself. She’d just take a wild guess and attack. While this was much unsuccessful for her, it was merely a matter of luck. He ran for one of the Substitute clones, delivering a hook right next to the crack… And it connected.

With a sudden burst of confidence, Fireblitz finished the combo with two more punches. As the clones all vanished, the toy that had been covering for Valence shattered. In a few seconds, six Ponytas became one.

The fiery steed knew that this was the time to go offensive, as all things stopping her opponent from attacking were now gone. She summoned the Steel-type powers from her essence, a sheet of liquid metal oozing over her tail. Despite the heat, it became solid.

Running toward the opponent, Valence swung her backside, her metallic tail smashing against the target’s face. He tripped, but didn’t fall; the attack lost some potency due to the fact his body heat accelerated the iron’s melting, which was completed after a while, leaving the Ponyta’s tail free to move once more.

This time sure that it would connect, Fireblitz mixed some body fluids in his mouth, spitting them square at the foe’s face. The nasty toxin easily penetrated skin and entered her bloodstream. As soon as it entered, it already began to sting.

Round 4 – End

Chaon (O)
Ponyta
Female Ponyta
Health: 76%
Energy: 73%
Status: Speed 2+. Poisoned (Badly; 1% this round, 2% next).
Condition: Already beginning to feel ill.

Xaldin (O)
Chimchar
Male Chimchar
Health: 88%
Energy: 59%
Condition: Glad he got Toxic to work this time.​

Additional notes:
- Brick Break on the second round broke the Substitute and, because it connected, made the Double Team clones vanish.
- Toxic on the third round badly poisoned Valence.
- Chaon attacks first next round.

Okay Valence, we have to finish this quick! The first priority is to defend, so if he tries anything, use Protect. Other than that, start by using agility again, and get somewhere where he won't be able to see you. Then shoot a toxic at him, see how HE likes it. And finally, stomp him into the ground one more time.

Agility / Protect ~ Toxic / Protect ~ Stomp / Protect

OK, now that horse is going down. After agility, use taunt. Then use protect, if taunt worked, then use thunder punch... again then use Brick Break... again.

Taunt~Protect/Thunder Punch~Brick Break

Last edited:

Set

Round 5

Chaon (O)
Ponyta
Female Ponyta
Health: 76%
Energy: 73%
Status: Speed 2+. Poisoned (Badly; 1% this round, 2% next).
Condition: Already beginning to feel ill.
Commands: Agility/Protect ~ Toxic/Protect ~ Stomp/Protect

Xaldin (O)
Chimchar
Male Chimchar
Health: 88%
Energy: 59%
Condition: Glad he got Toxic to work this time.
Commands: Taunt ~ Protect/Thunderpunch ~ Brick Break

Arena:

-----​

A fifth round of commands was fired, both trainers becoming warier as the battle progressed.

Valence promptly took a defensive stance, watching Fireblitz’s movements carefully. He was next to immobile, not looking like he was about to try anything. After some seconds of staring, the Ponyta carried on with her command, zipping around the field at top speed. At one point, she took a large leap above her foe, rushing for a hideout while he was distracted.

The fact she was a Pokémon with fire on her body battling in a dark place, hiding from view wasn’t an easy job. But, there was a small path leading upwards. A large rock blocked its end. The running creature jumped over it, using its back as a hiding spot.

Her opponent was still mildly confused by how she just vanished to any place. But, no matter where, he knew his next move would bring her out. To ensure she could hear him, he prepared to turn up his voice’s volume as high as possible, then initiated the round of insults.

A bright flame rising from behind a boulder indicated that Valence clearly did not appreciate being called a coward. Or maybe the part where he questioned her brain’s ability to even attack at all was what did the trick. As she raced toward her target, it was clear she had no intention of using Toxic or Protect. She didn’t even take time to actually figure what she was going to do, so she chose to merely bump her foe.

The attack damaged both attacker and attacked.

After getting up from the blow, smirking, the Chimchar once more summoned electric powers from his essence, sending them to his hand. Then, he leapt upwards, delivering an uppercut straight on the target’s jaw. The attack struck just in the right position to nearly throw the victim backwards.

The powerful blow further fueled the Ponyta’s rage. With a loud neigh, she leapt against the chimp, pinning him on the ground with her legs. He reacted to it, knocking her legs aside with two alternated hooks. Using the momentum, Fireblizt performed another uppercut as he stood up, ending his combo. He had aimed for a weak spot, but missed it by just an inch.

The poison in Valence’s veins began to act up again as she stepped away from her foe a bit. Slowly, her pain was beginning to speak louder than her anger.

Round 5 – End

Chaon (O)
Ponyta
Female Ponyta
Health: 56%
Energy: 60%
Status: Speed 4+. Poisoned (Badly; 2% this round, 3% next). Taunt under effect (1 more action).
Condition: Still irritated, but beginning to be pulled down to earth.

Xaldin (O)
Chimchar
Male Chimchar
Health: 78%
Energy: 42%
Condition: Smirking widely at his foe’s wrath.​

Additional notes:
- For the record, Xaldin, may I ask why you edited that last post?
- On the second action, due to being under the effects of Taunt, Valence ignored her commands and used Struggle instead.
- Thunderpunch on the second action was a critical hit.
- Brick Break on the third action almost landed a critical hit as well. But, since it didn’t, no extra damage there.

I kept on rethinking on my commands, and saw a lot of holes in it. Anyway, that was a good round Fireblitz, but you seem low on energy, so chill, then, use taunt again if she uses a stat increasing attack, if not, then use attract, then use rock climb.

Chill~Taunt/Attract~Rock Climb

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom