• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Metallica Fanboy vs. Kam

blazheirio889

Banned
Pronoun
she
Originally Posted by Metallica Fanboy
Speaking of battle limits, I'll reach mine.

1 vs. 1 Single
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, direct healing
Arena: Adhesive Hole

A wasteland stretches beyond an eye's reach. The scenery is extremely plain. The catch about this arena is that it was once used for war. A trap was set at a specific spot; all soldiers that fell in it were firmly glued by an extremely sticky substance that covered the surface of the hole. Remains of the victims still can be seen over the pink goop. With the knowledge that any Pokémon stuck in this hole could be recalled by a Poké Ball, however, the idea to battle there seemed interesting. All ground-dwelling Pokémon to enter this match will be stuck in the adhesive trap until it's knocked out and recalled, thus, unable to leave their current positon. Pokémon capable of flight/floating, though, can avoid the goop, thus, are free to move.

Other: No purely aquatic Pokémon (land dwelling/anfibious water-types are still allowed). All Pokémon engaging in this battle must have access to at least one projectile move.

Metallica Fanboy's active squad:
Aerodactyl [Dexterous] (M) <Pressure>
Slakoth [Megatherium] (M) <Truant>
Carvanha [Warfare] (F) <Rough Skin>
Machop [Super Macho Man] (M) <No Guard>

Kam's active squad:
Mudkip [Kappa] (M) <Torrent>
--> Signature Attribute: Natural Leader
Misdreavus [Envy] (F) <Levitate>
Bronzor [Zero] (N/A) <Levitate>

And by coin flip:
Metallica Fanboy sends out.
Kam sends out and attacks.
Metallica Fanboy attacks.

Last edited:
Anyone who looked at my active squad and the arena would think my choice for this battle is obvious.

Go, Dexterous.

Hm, I think I'll send out Zero. Let's go.

Zero, I want you to use Psychic on Dexter. However, I want you to use it to psychically direct him into the goop. Make him flop in a Jesus Christ Pose[sup]tm[/sup]. You know what I mean: belly up, with the head rolled back. It should fall in the goop fairly easily, and then you can prepare yourself for the next round of attacks. I say... use Hypnosis until it falls asleep, then eat its dreams. If you're damaged, eat its health. Otherwise, eat its energy.

Psychic (to drag Dexterous into the goop) ~ Hypnosis ~ Hypnosis/Dream Eater

Last edited:
First things first, getting dragged down into the goop is a clear disadvantage. There's no weaseling around Psychic... Except by using Protect, which you will do.

Afterwards, your opponent is going to try another nasty thing, which is sleep. Made worse by the fact that, if you fall asleep, you'll fall, and not necessarily outside the goop. Stop it from using Hypnosis by Taunting.

Finally, since we'll have Zero trying to use Hyponsis and failing, it's an opportunity to set up for my next few obvious moves.

Protect ~ Taunt ~ Sunny Day

1 vs. 1 Single

A wasteland stretches beyond an eye's reach. The scenery is extremely plain. The catch about this arena is that it was once used for war. A trap was set at a specific spot; all soldiers that fell in it were firmly glued by an extremely sticky substance that covered the surface of the hole. Remains of the victims still can be seen over the pink goop. With the knowledge that any Pokémon stuck in this hole could be recalled by a Poké Ball, however, the idea to battle there seemed interesting. All ground-dwelling Pokémon to enter this match will be stuck in the adhesive trap until it's knocked out and recalled, thus, unable to leave their current positon. Pokémon capable of flight/floating, though, can avoid the goop, thus, are free to move.

Other: No purely aquatic Pokémon (land dwelling/anfibious water-types are still allowed). All Pokémon engaging in this battle must have access to at least one projectile move.

The wasteland that was the home of the Adhesive Hole was as still as still could be. The occasional puff of wind tossed handfuls of sand into the air, but otherwise the scene was completely and utterly motionless. If one dared to crawl close to the depression dug into the otherwise flat desert and peer over the edge, they’d note that the pink goop that gave the Adhesive Hole its name was as immobile as its surroundings, no longer stretching up eagerly to swallow anything that so much as touched its glossy surface now that there was simply nothing to disturb it.

Hopefully, by the end of the match, that would change.

A faint humming was heard in the distance as a lone speck in the sky slowly approached the barren plains. The referee had insisted on a helicopter as the method of transportation instead of the usual Abra, in case the humanoid fox accidentally teleported them straight in the middle of the military trap – paranoid and overly-cautions as always.

Eventually the air-borne craft landed, a safe distance away from the dent in the earth, the landing made easy by the fact that there was hardly even a breeze. The referee stepped out and eagerly shook out her legs, which had started to fall asleep. She was closely followed by two ASB trainers. After their little stretch, the three humans took their positions: the battlers on opposite ends of the hole, and the referee somewhere off to the side.

The next few minutes were filled with a tedious monologue of the rules and the restrictions and the terrain effects, blah blah blah. The referee sighed inwardly; if there was one thing she despised about her job, it was reiterating the laws of the arena. Finally, as the speech drew to a close, she motioned to Metallica Fanboy to send out his Pokemon.

Dexterous the Aerodactyl materialized from his Pokeball in the standard flash of brilliant white light. Having been notified of the terrain beforehand, the once-extinct Pokemon began to flap his wings at a slow, leisurely pace to keep his rocky bulk aloft. On the other side, Kam barely hesitated before throwing his own Pokeball, the two halves of the sphere cracking open to allow Zero the Bronzor into the arena.

Round One

Metallica Fanboy (O)

Aerodactyl
Dexterous (M) <Pressure>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Protect ~ Taunt ~ Sunny Day

Kam (O)

Bronzor
Zero (N/A) <Levitate>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Psychic (drag Dexterous into goop) ~ Hypnosis ~ Hypnosis/Dream Eater

Undoubtedly eager to avoid getting dumped into the adhesive sludge so early in the battle – for that matter, what in the world was a ‘Jesus’ pose? – Dexterous distributed some of his energy in a faintly shimmering orb around him. It solidified into a translucent green shield in a heartbeat, protecting the Aerodactyl from all harm. He shifted uncomfortably in the confined area, feeling a bit of claustrophobia stir up in his body.

Zero, however, was completely ignorant of the barrier cutting it off from its opponent, and amplified the reach of its mind, its gaze eerie and unblinking. An almost invisible tendril of sparkling purple glow seemed to stretch into the air, making a beeline for Dexterous – only to stop dead, literally half a centimeter away, sensing that it could make it no further. Zero seemed to twitch, and with the faintest of pops the faint violet wisp winked out of existence.

Relaxing his tense muscles and allowing the Protect to fade away, Dexterous put on an infuriating grin that stretched from one side of his face to another. “Hey, loser!” he called. “Is that the best you can do? Jesus position, my ass. That was nothing.” For a little extra effect he flared his wings. “Not that I was expecting much from you, stupid Bronzor. You’re all useless! You just float there like the china dishes like you really are: fragile, feeble, and a cinch to break.” Zero twitched again, quite displeased by the Aerodactyl’s insults and mocking voice. Its anger only grew from then, as Dexterous let loose with a stream of obscenities that would have most certainly made Arceus scowl. Screw Hypnosis; it wanted hot-blooded violence, and it wanted it now. At a loss for what to do, the Bronzor merely levitated there, fuming.

After several minutes of non-stop verbal abuse, Dexterous fell silent, with the smirk still plastered to his face. The damage was done, though: you could actually see smoke blowing from Zero’s flat form, if you squinted. Confident that he wouldn’t be in any immediate danger for the rest of the round, Dexterous ignored his opponent, and instead inclined his head to the sky and let out a roar. Then he angled his wings into a dive, turning one or two circles before chopping the air to regain height, repeating the process several times, gathering a ginger sphere of power in his jaw all the while. Finally, when it had reached the size of a volleyball, the Aerodactyl shot it towards the heavens, where it exploded, temporarily turning the sky orange before the glow faded away, leaving nothing but the intensified rays of the sun.

The rapidly-heating air only added on to Zero’s ire; finally snapping, it let out a metallic cry of rage before recklessly hurling itself at its opponent. Dexterous growled in surprise and tried to dart to the side, but the Bronzor managed to crash into the pterodactyl’s left wing.

Metallica Fanboy (O)

Aerodactyl
Dexterous (M) <Pressure>
Health: 95%
Energy: 85%

Kam (O)

Bronzor
Zero (N/A) <Levitate>
Health: 98%
Energy: 92%

Terrain notes
The sun is shining down on the wasteland that houses the Adhesive Hole, and will do so for another 11 actions.

Final notes
Metallica Fanboy attacks first next round.

Last edited:
Wait, I attacked second last round.

Doesn't that mean I'm supposed to attack first now?

...Crap. *headdesk* My brain seems to be malfunctioning as of late.

Yeah, you're supposed to attack first this round. Sorry for the screw-up. I'll go fix that now.

It's time to open advantage by abusing the way Zero's pissed and how you're faster.

To begin with, let's do unto others what they've been trying to do unto you. Rock Tomb your opponent into the goop. To do that, you'll probably need it floating over the aforementioned goop, so, if necessary, use the fact it's angry at you to draw it toward you.

At that point, it's not unlikely to think both Pokémon will be stuck on the adhesive hole, so, for safety measure, let's go with a projectile. One that will strike our foe's only weakness, and one that will benefit from the weather.

If you failed to stick Zero on the goop once, keep trying.

Rock Tomb (Trap Zero on the goop) ~ Rock Tomb/Flamethrower x2

Zero, I know you're pissed, but here's what you have to do.

First, use Psychic and drag it into the goop, preferably with the head in a position where it's jaw is submerged in the sticky liquid, preventing it from using Flamethrower. Then, I want you to do one of the following:

1. Use Double Team if it attacks you, or
2. Use Charge Beam.

After that, use Flash Cannon if you got the Special boost from Charge Beam. Otherwise, just go with Charge Beam again.

So, to recap:

Psychic ~ Double Team (3 clones)/Charge Beam ~ Flash Cannon/Charge Beam

Last edited:

1 vs. 1 Single

Round Two

Metallica Fanboy (O)

Aerodactyl
Dexterous (M) <Pressure>
Health: 95%
Energy: 85%
Commands: Rock Tomb ~ Rock Tomb/Flamethrower ~ Rock Tomb/Flamethrower

Kam (O)

Bronzor
Zero (N/A) <Levitate>
Health: 98%
Energy: 92%
Commands: Psychic ~ Double Team/Charge Beam ~ Flash Cannon/Charge Beam

Dexterous flexed his wing experimentally to make sure it was still functioning properly; even though he only felt a dull twinge, it was better safe than sorry. Then he looked at the scenery below him. Normally he would stamp on the ground to call stones up to crush his opponent, but... Shrugging, he backwinged until the ground below him was covered with sand instead of pink, sticky goop, and landed. Then he gave a dramatic roar, head tilted back, and punched the earth with strong arms. Boulders tore themselves from the land around him with earsplitting cracks and flew towards Zero, who was far too slow to avoid the imminent rocky onslaught. The first stone crashed into the adhesive slime right behind him, but the second hit its mark, forcing the metallic disk to the ground. There was a sucking sound as the Bronzor’s lower half was engulfed by goop. Thankfully, the first rock prevented Zero from toppling over and becoming completely submerged. Regardless, the wet stickiness of the gunk was incredibly uncomfortable, and he gave a high-pitched screech of frustration.

Satisfied with his work, Dexterous flapped back over the hole, fire already bubbling in his throat. This turned out to be a fatal mistake, though; suddenly, behind the boulders, Zero’s eyes glowed a wrathful fuchsia, and the archaic pterodactyl felt himself lose control of his muscles. His body was enveloped with the same colour as Zero’s unblinking eyes as the Bronzor held his opponent in a psychic grip. He gave a vengeful jerk and Dexterous was forced down, gasping, into the Adhesive Hole about two meters away from Zero. At the last second, though, the Aerodactyl managed to wrench his head so his snout pointed to his opponent. Some match it would be, if he was to be deprived of both his physical and projectile moves.

Zero growled in irritation. Well, looks like I’m not out of harm’s way yet… And indeed he wasn’t, because in the next instant, Dexterous had spat out a thin, strong plume of flame. Not all of it made it through the rocks still surrounding the prone Bronzor, but those than made it through burned viciously at the metal alloy that made up the Pokemon’s body. Zero gave a pained yell; while the alloy was heat-resistant to an extent, it yielded easily under the Flamethrower’s intense heat, and the concentrated sunlight only worsened the agony. As the flames died down, he faintly recalled his commands, and his anger gave a sudden spike. Double Team? Double Team? How was he supposed to move at all, with the stupid pink stuff latching onto him like a plethora of Octillery tentacles? If his metallic face was capable of showing any emotion, it would’ve been twisted into a furious pout.

Dexterous’s next attack did nothing to improve Zero’s mood. The pterodactyl inhaled deeply, then roared, giving his fire sac a powerful squeeze as he did so, and another torrent of flame gushed from his jaws. Once again, the Flamethrower was somewhat weakened by the boulders, but by now they were sagging, submitting to the heat and running to the ground in a hot, molten mess. Zero screamed, the sound warped and metallic, and cringed before the blaze, praying that it would die down soon.

As soon as it did, he shut his eyes hatefully and gathered electricity from the atmosphere, which he then fired at Dexterous in a thin, white-yellow beam. It was the Aerodactyl’s turn to cry out in pain as the electricity ran across his body, searing his nerves before fizzling back into the air. Even after the attack had faded away, Zero’s body crackled every so often with electrical charge. The euphoria of finally being able to lay on some damage, and the thrill of power the static lent him, cleared the Bronzor’s head and calmed him down.

Metallica Fanboy (O)

Aerodactyl
Dexterous (M) <Pressure>
Health: 78%
Energy: 74%

Kam (O)

Bronzor
Zero (N/A) <Levitate>
Health: 65%
Energy: 79%
Status: Still rather pissed, but level-headed enough. +1 Special Attack, -1 Speed.

Terrain notes
The sun is shining down on the wasteland that houses the Adhesive Hole, and will do so for another 8 actions.

Final notes
Kam attacks first next round.
I don’t think I have to explain why Double Team failed.
Charge Beam raised Zero’s Special Attack.

Uh, yeah.

That was... not good.

Hm. This isn't going to be helpful. Let's go with a Trick Room to get you some speed. If he Taunts you, use Flash Cannon, and if he uses a deadly Flamethrower, Protect.

Next up, here's what I want you to do. Use Psychic to lift some goop off the ground and drop it on his jaws, thus preventing him from using his deadly fire attacks. If you can't do that, then use either Rain Dance or Flash Cannon, depending on whether or not you're Taunted.

Follow up with either Confuse Ray or Flash Cannon, depending on whether or not you're taunted.

In any case, if he Protects, use Calm Mind.

Confusing string time:

Trick Room/Flash Cannon/Protect ~ Psychic/Rain Dance/Flash Cannon ~ Confuse Ray/Flash Cannon

Use Calm Mind if Taunted

Long series of conditionals, I know, but it's not that hard to understand. Besides, you're a robot... mirror... thing. You can do it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be sure about these big conditionals working, but, being ready for the worst is a must.

If the worst is it, can't let them get ahead with these attacks like Trick Room. Taunt it with no regard for any Flash Cannons.

Assuming the thing with using Psychic to shoot goop goes through, we need a countermeasure. And what better countermeasure than exactly what they want to avoid? Not sure if this will work, but, it's hard to imagine a lot of goop will be used, so, fire in the hole.

After that, Zero's pretty open for further assault, so, let's take advantage of the fact this isn't the kind of place to miss... And, so to say, get risky with the fire.

Taunt ~ Flamethrower ~ Fire Blast

1 vs. 1 Single

Round Three

Metallica Fanboy (O)

Aerodactyl
Dexterous (M) <Pressure>
Health: 78%
Energy: 74%
Commands: Taunt ~ Flamethrower ~ Fire Blast

Kam (O)

Bronzor
Zero (N/A) <Levitate>
Health: 65%
Energy: 79%
Status: Still rather pissed, but level-headed enough. +1 Special Attack, -1 Speed.
Commands: Trick Room/Flash Cannon/Protect/Calm Mind ~ Psychic/Rain Dance/Flash Cannon/Calm Mind ~ Confuse Ray/Flash Cannon/Calm Mind

Dexterous smirked – a difficult ordeal, considering his lower jaw was imbedded in the sticky goop – and yelled. “Yo, loser! Seems like you’re in a pretty pickle, eh? How’re you gonna get me now?”The Aerodactyl beckoned with his tail – the only part of his body that wasn’t being hugged by the adhesive trap – in an ubiquitous sign that said, Come get some. Normally Zero wouldn’t be provoked by such a common signal, but its temper hadn’t cooled down completely from last round, and its fuse blew when Dexterous stuck his tongue out. Stupid, stupid, stupid Aerodactyl! Stupid long, complicated commands! Under normal circumstances the Bronzor would’ve had plenty of trouble deciphering the puzzling words, but in the state of towering rage it didn’t even try. It gave a cry of fury and attempted to launch itself at its opponent, his wrath-clouded mind forgetting about the pink slime sticking to its lower half.

Dexterous chuckled to himself as he watched Zero twitch about, rendered completely immobile by the military trap. It was time he got to business, though. Taking a deep breath, his progress somewhat inhibited by the sticky substance pressing against his chest, he let it out in yet another torrent of flame. The blaze, strengthened by the heat from the sun, ate relentlessly at the metal alloy that made Zero’s body, melting it yet further. It screamed in rage; it wanted to writhe in pain, but couldn’t. After what seemed like an eternity the flames died down, leaving a half-melted, absolutely livid Bronzor.

Panting slightly, Zero tried to collect its mind – and understandably hard task, considering its state of ire – but try as it might, it couldn’t make head nor tail of its commands. It singled out two of its four attacks: Psychic and Flash Cannon… but what was it supposed to do with them? Screw it! Unable to think straight, the Bronzor resorted to using a psychic fist to pound at the pinkish sludge in front of it, each thump releasing a sluggish ripple as well as a bit of its anger.

As Zero vented his fury on the unfortunate slime in front of him, Dexterous had given his fire sac a potent squeeze. The flames bubbled around in his closed maw, several molten drops of lava dripping from his mouth as he poked and prodded the scalding stuff with his tongue. Unable to stand the heat any longer, the Aerodactyl opened his mouth as wide as he could, letting a great ball of fire burst out, which quickly unfurled into a towering, blazing symbol. It struck Zero square on, and its metallic form was engulfed in all-consuming flame. It screamed again, whatever passed for a throat in the Bronzor’s body swiftly going raw. Though the Flamethrower dealt incredibly agonizing pain, this attack was even mightier, and Zero thought it would morph into a puddle of liquid navy metal before the attack finally died down. Its prediction wasn’t completely off the mark: when the Fire Blast faded into the atmosphere, wasted away due to lack of fuel, Zero looked less like a disc than a sagging pile of shiny leaf litter.

Fortunately for the Bronzor, its commands for this action weren’t too complicated, and they were made even easier by the fact that two of the three options were automatically omitted due to its still-raging mood. Gathering as much steel-type energy as it could from its body and the air around it, Zero concentrated the power in a small, compact sphere in front of it. Eventually it became too unstable to control. As it released its hold on the bright, silvery orb, it rocketed towards Dexterous in a glistening stream, striking the Aerodactyl in the shoulder. He roared in pain as the energy assaulted his rock build, leaving a sting even when the glittering burst had faded.

Metallica Fanboy (O)

Aerodactyl
Dexterous (M) <Pressure>
Health: 62%
Energy: 53%
Status: Wishing he could rub his sore shoulder. -1 Special Defense.

Kam (O)

Bronzor
Zero (N/A) <Levitate>
Health: 25% (CAPPED)
Energy: 73%
Status: Utterly irate. +1 Special Attack, -1 Speed. Taunted (1 action remaining).

Terrain notes
The sun is shining down on the wasteland that houses the Adhesive Hole, and will do so for another 5 actions.

Final notes
Metallica Fanboy attacks first next round.
Super effective fire attacks + sunlight = fun.
Flash Cannon lowered Dexterous’s Special Defense.
Zero hit the damage cap on the 3rd action.
Kam, as stated in the rules, you can’t use more than 3 conditionals without the risk of your Pokemon acting erratically. I rolled a die to see what attack he’d use on the 2nd action (because all-out elemental abuse is not cool) and I got Psychic, but seeing as how the adhesive material is so strong that you’ll be stuck in there for good once you’re in, I doubt Zero could lift out chunks of it, so he just pounded at the stuff in front of him.
Also, I'd prefer it if you didn't edit your commands. As far as I can see they're the same, but editing them after your opponent has posted is a big no-no; in any case, I could read them just fine.

This certainly looks like it's going to end fast. But, can't relax 'til the end.

Since our foe is so badly battered it's not a stretch to imagine it might faint with two more flamethrowers. Open the round with more fire in the hole.

The second action, Taunt's effects will end, and we know we need to keep them under control with those nasty non-offensive moves like Trick Room, Hypnosis or Rain Dance. Besides, you have enough health to be protected by the damage cap. So, still paying no regard for Flash Cannons, and also not caring about how it's not going to last so much if we keep using it, keep the taunting up.

Finish the round with more flames.

Flamethrower ~ Taunt ~ Flamethrower

If I position the move so it is done at the very end of the first action, could I avoid Zero being Taunted?

Meh.

Zero, use Psychic to divert all incoming Flamethrowers and direct them towards the Aerodactyl.

Use Flash Cannon when it Taunts.

Psychic ~ Flash Cannon ~ Psychic

Back
Top Bottom