• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

On Encounter Rates In Safari Zone Areas

Clover

neither simple, nor coherent.
On Encounter Rates
or, Why Are There Shiny Starters What Is Wrong With You People

Hello, I'm MidnightSaboteur! You may remember me from television specials shown region-wide, or that giant poster plastered on that brick wall right outside. (Remember, pokémon battling is peace! Freedom is PC boxes! Ignorance... is actually ungood.)

Y'see, there's always been some ambiguity surrounding encounter rates in Safari Zone areas. I figured that was a good thing, as I never wanted (and still don't want) all the rules of the Safari Zone to be set in stone. However... there are a few areas that have come to my attention as tipping the scales to rarities. Therefore, I thought I'd come up with a rarity tiers list of sorts to help keep things in a basic sort of... thing. (I am not the best with clarity.) This should mostly be common sense, although a few that are more common in the games are rarer due to the setting (ralts only appear to cheerful people, clefairy are almost unknown, etc).

Here it is! I can put it here in code tags too if it matters. Every four hundred ninety-five pokémon, classified by relative appearance rate; all you have to do is ctrl/squiggly-f the name. Like I said, this should just be a guide if you have questions or if you've been warned about your encounter rates. There's no need to worry about every single pokémon you supply.

The main points that apply to everyone are that starter pokémon should be one in one hundred, and shiny common pokémon should be at least one in two hundred (Deluxe Pokémon Emporium has an exception of one in one-fifty). I'm willing to make an exception if you talk to me about raising rates in your area/subarea in exchange for higher prices (so, say, $10 for a 1/70 rate of rares).

Well... that should be it! Please let me know of any questions, comments, or concerns~!

Nice, I think that's a good guide. But, I have another idea. I used the Pokemon Rarity Guide on ASB, which can be found here, as a base.

Really, I just put Rarity One and Rarity Two into one group and called it common. They have a 75/100 chance of being found.

Then, for uncommon, I combined Rarity Three and Four, and added the evolved forms of common Pokemon. They have a 20/100 chance of being found.

Rare, I combined Rarity Five and Six, and added the evolved forms of the uncommon Pokemon. They have a 4/100 chance of being found.

Next, Super Rare. You guessed it, I combined Rarity Seven and Eight, and added evolved forms of rare Pokemon. Excluding Rotom, Phione, and the Fakemon, of course. They have a 1/100 chance of being found.

Then Ultra Rare. Seeing as I have now run out of rarities, It's just made up of the evolved forms of super rare Pokemon. They have a 1/200 chance of being found. I highly doubt anyone who uses this guide will give much of these out.

Lastly, Mega Rare. Also known as OMG-These-Are-So-Ridiculously-Rare-That-I-Doubt-Anyone-Will-Ever-Find-One Rare. They are the evolved forms of ultra rare Pokemon, and have a 1/300 chance of being found.

Now, my method for finding shinies. If the Pokemon is common or uncommon, it has a 1/100 chance of being shiny. If the Pokemon is rare or super rare, it has a 1/200 chace of being shiny. If the Pokemon is ultra rare or mega rare, it has a 1/300 chance of being shiny.

As for banned Pokemon, the same as Midnight's. If you ask me, that should just be common sense.

Eonrider has made good guide?

I think it's better to just use Midnight's as a baseline if you're having trouble with the idea that rare Pokemon should be rare.

Um, yeah... do whatever you think works and I'll poke in from time to time to make sure it's all good. That applies to everyone. [shrug] (I would prefer if shinies were at least 1/200. Someone once got two shinies in the /same post/, and that's not gonna fly.)

Um... it's kind of /weird/, but it's not 'bad'... your area was one of those... yeah, one of those ghost-only ones. Why do so many areas involve ghosts? Anyway, considering your limited choices, I guess that's fine.

Update to rotom: I did some research for the upcoming contest and discovered that rotom are not actually legendaries, but simply like snorlax and sudowoodo - a limited number per game, but certainly not legendary. Soooo.

I still think they should be kept rare, so in the Safari Zone region rotom are sort of semi-legendaries: you can put him in your area, but only one ever, and you should ask permission first. Yep.

Um... it's kind of /weird/, but it's not 'bad'... your area was one of those... yeah, one of those ghost-only ones. Why do so many areas involve ghosts? Anyway, considering your limited choices, I guess that's fine.

Update to rotom: I did some research for the upcoming contest and discovered that rotom are not actually legendaries, but simply like snorlax and sudowoodo - a limited number per game, but certainly not legendary. Soooo.

I still think they should be kept rare, so in the Safari Zone region rotom are sort of semi-legendaries: you can put him in your area, but only one ever, and you should ask permission first. Yep.

I've had Rotom available in my (long dead and possibly glitched so that new posts won't bump it back up, since the last few posts in it don't seem to register on the topic list) for a while now, and it's at a 1/100 chance and only on the most expensive option available. ($8.) Should I like, triple, quadruple, or amillionuple that or what? (Even though I doubt the area will be resurrected any time soon, provided it's even possible to resurrect.)

One per area. So sure, have it on 1/100, but once someone obtains it it's gone. Sounds fine the rest of the way.

I think that sageing is related to all the 500 errors. At least, that's happened to me before. idk.

What if we want items? How should those be classified (obviously Potion would be Common, Max-Revive SuperRare, Key-Items Banhammered)?

Items that don't do anything gamewise (potions, most any kind of medicine, most... most things, actually) are free to be given whenever. There aren't any globally accepted items, after all - "Congrats, you got a master ball!" "OH MY GOD what does that do" "Um... idk! but it's shiny! :D" - so any worth given to items is pretty arbitrary.

The only items I can think of that are worth something are evolutionary items. And, well, fossils. And... [shrugs] I guess those should be uncommon. use your judgment \o/ You could even start a pokémart like an area... hm.

Oh dear, it does seem to have expired, hasn't it. Good thing I made a copy! ... On my thumb drive at home. I'll put it back up ASAP; thanks for alerting me!

ETA: Kay, here you go!

Code:
COMMONS (Feel free to give out as much of these as you want! They are plentiful and abundant and should make up the majority of your stock.)

Caterpie
Metapod
Weedle
Kakuna
Pidgey
Pidgeotto
Rattata
Spearow
Ekans
Pikachu
Nidoran (mesu!)
Nidoran (osu!)
Sandshrew
Vulpix
Jigglypuff
Zubat
Oddish
Paras
Venonat
Diglett
Psyduck
Mankey
Poliwag
Growlithe
Machop
Bellsprout
Tentacool
Geodude
Slowpoke
Magnemite
Doduo
Seel
Grimer
Shellder
Gastly
Drowzee
Krabby
Voltorb
Exeggcute
Cubone
Koffing
Rhyhorn
Lickitung
Tangela
Horsea
Goldeen
Staryu
Magikarp
Sentret
Hoothoot
Ledyba
Ledian
Spinarak
Ariados
Chinchou
Pichu
Cleffa
Igglybuff
Togepi
Natu
Mareep
Marill
Hoppip
Skiploom
Aipom
Sunkern
Yanma
Wooper
Murkrow
Misdreavus
Unown
Pineco
Girafarig
Dunsparce
Snubbull
Qwilfish
Heracross
Sneasel
Teddiursa
Slugma
Swinub
Corsola
Remoraid
Houndour
Phanpy
Stantler
Smeargle
Tyrogue
Smoochum
Elekid
Magby
Poochyena
Zigzagoon
Wurmple
Silcoon
Cascoon
Lotad
Seedot
Taillow
Wingull
surskit
Shroomish
Whismur
Makuhita
Azurill
Nosepass
skitty
Sableye
Mawile
Aron
Meditite
Electrike
Plusle
Minun
Volbeat
Illumise
Roselia
Gulpin
Carvanha
Wailmer
Numel
Spoink
Spinda
Cacnea
Swablu
Zangoose
Seviper
Lunatone
Solrock
Corphish
Baltoy
Barboach
Shuppet
Duskull
Tropius
Wynaut
Snorunt
Spheal
Luvdisc
Starly
Staravia
Bidoof
Kricketot
Kricketune
Shinx
Budew
Burmy, Burmy, and Burmy
Pachirisu
Buizel
Cherubi
Shellos and Shellos
Drifloon
Buneary
Glameow
Chingling
Bronzor
Bonsly
Mime Jr
Happiny
Chatot
Munchlax
Riolu
Hippopotas
Skorupi
Croagunk
Finneon
Mantyke
Snover

UNCOMMONS (Mostly evolutions of commons or ones that were uncommon in their debut games, these ought to be rather rarer - 20% [2/10] at best.)

Fearow
Arbok
Raticate
Butterfree
Beedrill
Pidgeot
Raichu
Nidorina
Nidorino
Sandslash
Clefairy
Ninetales
Wigglytuff
Golbat
Gloom
Parasect
Venomoth
Dugtrio
Persian
Golduck
Primeape
Arcanine
Poliwhirl
Kadabra
Machoke
Weepinbell
Tentacruel
Graveler
Ponyta
Slowbro
Magneton
Farfetch'd
Dodrio
Dewgong
Muk
Cloyster
Haunter
Onix
Hypno
Kingler
Electrode
Exeggutor
Marowak
Hitmonlee
Hitmonchan
Rhydon
Weezing
Chansey
Kangaskhan
Seadra
Seaking
Starmie
Mr Mime
Scyther
Jynx
Electabuzz
Magmar
Pinsir
Tauros
Gyarados
Lapras
Eevee
Porygon
Omanyte
Kabuto
Aerodactyl
Snorlax
Dratini
Furret
Noctowl
Lanturn
Togetic
Xatu
Flaaffy
Azumarill
Sudowoodo
Jumpluff
Sunflora
Quagsire
Wobbuffet
Forretress
Gligar
Steelix
Granbull
Shuckle
Ursaring
Magcargo
Piloswine
Octillery
Delibird
Mantine
Skarmory
Houndoom
Donphan
Hitmontop
Miltank
Larvitar
Mightyena
Linoone
Beautifly
Dustox
Lombre
Nuzleaf
Ralts
Swellow
Pelipper
Masquerain
Breloom
Vigoroth
Ninjask
Loudred
Hariyama
Delcatty
Larion
Medicham
Manectric
Swalot
Sharpedo
Camerupt
Torkoal
Grumpig
Trapinch
Altaria
Cacturne
Crawdaunt
Claydol
Lileep
Anorith
Castform
Kecleon
Banette
Dusclops
Chimecho
Absol
Glalie
Sealeo
Clamperl
Relicanth
Bagon
Beldum
Staraptor
Bibarel
Luxio
Wormadam, Wormadam, and Wormadam
Cranidos
Shieldon
Combee
Floatzel
Cherrim
Gastrodon and Gastrodon
Ambipom
Drifblim
Lopunny
Mismagius
Honchkrow
Purugly
Skuntank
Gible
Bronzong
Lucario
Hippowdon
Drapion
Toxicroak
Carnivine
Lumineon
Abomasnow
Weavile
Lickilicky
Tangrowth
Yanmega
Probopass

RARES (These include starters, pseudolegends, twice-evolved commons [especially ones that require specific, difficult-to-acquire items], and once-evolved uncommons. No more than 1% [1/100] chance at best.)

Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Charmeleon
Wartortle
Nidoqueen
Nidoking
Clefable
Vileplume
Poliwrath
Alakazam
Machamp
Victreebel
Golem
Rapidash
Gengar
Ditto
Vaporeon
Jolteon
Flareon
Omastar
Kabutops
Dragonair
Chikorita
Cyndaquil
Totodile
Bayleef
Quilava
Croconaw
Crobat
Ampharos
Bellossom
Politoed
Espeon
Umbreon
Slowking
Scizor
Porygon2
Kingdra
Blissey
Pupitar
Treecko
Torchic
Mudkip
Grovyle
Combusken
Marshtomp
Ludicolo
Shiftry
Kirlia
Gardevoir
Slaking
Shedinja
Exploud
Aggron
Wailord
Vibrava
Cradily
Armaldo
Feebas
Huntail
Gorebyss
Relicanth
Shelgon
Metang
Turtwig
Chimchar
Piplup
Grotle
Monferno
Prinplup
Luxray
Roserade
Rampardos
Bastiodon
Mothim
Vespiquen
Gabite
Spiritomb
Magnezone
Rhyperior
Electivire
Magmortar
Togekiss
Leafeon
Glaceon
Gliscor
Mamoswine
Gallade
Froslass
Dusknoir

SUPER-RARES (Okay, you /can/ /technically/ give these out, but with a 0.5% [one pokémon in every two hundred goes] chance, you might only give out one or two... ever. [I'm not going to jump on you if you give three or four, especially if you /do/ get that much traffic, but just keep these numbers in mind.] These include any shinies [shinies of rares ought be that much rarer] and twice-evolved rares.)

Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Dragonite
Meganium
Typhlosion
Feraligatr
Tyranitar
Sceptile
Blaziken
Swampert
Flygon
Milotic
Salamence
Metagross
Torterra
Infernape
Empoleon
Garchomp
PorygonZ

BANHAMMERED (Don't give these out ever! If it's on the list, it is unavailable in your area period the end. This includes legendaries [including Rotom and Phione], fakemon [seriously? don't be an idiot], and Gen 5 pokémon [for the moment, ofc].)

Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Mewtwo
Mew
Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Lugia
Ho-Oh
Celebi
Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Latias
Latios
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys, Deoxys, Deoxys, or Deoxys
Rotom, Rotom, Rotom, etc
Uxie
Mesprit
Azelf
Dialga
Palkia
Heatran
Regigigas
Giratina and Giratina
Cresselia
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin and Shaymin
Arceus
Zorua
Zoroark

Last edited:
thanks.
EDIT: Here's how i stacked up the tiers:
IT's all a dice-roll. 20-sided die.
Common: 1-10
UnCommon: 11-15
Rare: 16-19
SuperRare: 20 (I have never rolled a 20 before)

NonShiny: 1-19
Shiny: 20

I experimented and found that I never really roll anything higher than an 18, so this is a pretty fair scale.

Last edited:
That makes your shiny chance one in twenty, way too high. Is this an actual d20 or an RNG?

i'll chec out random.org

EDIT:
Yea, I'm using random.org, so my normal pokemon thing (common, uncommon, etc) is as above, with landing a 200 = shiny, anything else is nonshiny

Back
Top Bottom