• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress Articeon

eevee_em

Mew!
My first Pokemon fanfic. Its about an Eevee who is stolen by Team Rocket and turned into a cross between a Glaceon and an Articuno. Comments appreciated. Read on:

Prologue:

Flareon watched as her three children played on the living room floor. It seemed like yesterday when she had named them and explained how they would not use them for very long because her owner, a Pokemon breeder, would sell them when they were old enough. That was four months ago. Now they were old enough to be sold, to go out into the world and have their own adventures.
One of the Eevees had pounced on another one and the to began wrestling. Flareon chuckled. That was Fang and Sky, always fighting. Sky wanted to take part in contests, and she had an aura of confidence around her that would certainly make her good at them, even if got her into trouble sometimes. Fang was the battler of the group, and always played a little rough with his siblings. He was a quick learner, though, and Flareon knew he quickly pick up proper battling techniques. Fang and Sky rolled around and almost knocked over their brother, Pebble. Quite, gentle Pebble. When Flareon had asked him what kind of person he wanted to be sold to, had said he didn't care, as long as they were nice. But Flareon knew he wanted to stay with his family.
Briing. Flareon twitched her ears at the sound of the door bell. Her owner, a tall, slender girl with brown hair and glasses, walked across the room to answer it.
“Hello,” said the man at the door.” I heard you have three Eevees for sale. Is that true?”
“Yes, it is,” said the Pokemon breeder. “Please, come in.”A blond, short haired man wearing a brown over coat walked into the room.
“Are these the ones?” asked the man.
“Yes,” responded the Pokemon breeder. “That Flareon over there is the mother. Witch one would you like?”
“Actually, I was wondering if I could take all of them. I'm a professor, you see,
and they would be very helpful in my evolution research.”
“Wonderful! I'll bring them to your lab tomorrow and we can discuss price and such.”
“Can't I just take them now?”
“I'd like to make sure the lab is a good home for them, if that's okay with you.”
“I figured you would say something like that, so luckily I can prepared. Butterfree, use Sleep Powder!” The man sent out a butterfly like Pokemon who blew purple powder into the Pokemon breeders face, causing her to collapse on the floor, asleep.
He's going to steel my children! Thought Flareon. She lunged at the Butterfree, her fangs hot with fire. Wile she managed to inflict a rather nasty wound on its wing, it managed to land another Sleep Powder, and soon she lost conciseness...

*~*~*~*
What happened? Thought Flareon as she woke up. Then she remembered. “Pebble? Fang? Sky?” she called for her children, but heared no reply.
Nearby, her owner was waking up. “Where are the Eevees?” she asked. Flareon gave her a concerned look. The Pokemon breeder understood. “I'll look up stairs,” she said, “You check the yard and their favorite hiding spots.”
The two split up, but even after a solid hour of searching, the Eevees were nowhere to be found.
“I'm sorry, Flareon,” said the breeder, picking the Fire Pokemon up. “I let that man steal your children. Something tells me they aren't going to have a very good life at all.”

Chapter 1
Evolution:

"I don't understand," murmured Pebble. "Mother said we'd be traveling with nice trainers, or living in a nice house. She never said anything about being trapped somewhere like this." The Eevee looked out of the metal cage he was locked in into a large, dark room. Portions of it were lit by small, bright lights, most of witch had at least one human working under them. Only the front wall of the cage had bars to look through, the others were simply sheets metal.
"What are you talkin' about?" Pebble heard Fang say from the next cage. "Mother said when we were sold, we'd live someplace different. We've been sold, and this is someplace different."
"Didn't you see the way Mother fought with that man's Pokemon?" Sky said from the cage next to Fang's. "Something tells me that man wasn't supposed to take us, and that we shouldn't be here."
Pebble was about to agree when the floor of the cage lurched beneath him. The Eevee gave a little yelp as the cage shook with fast, jerky movements. He tried to look out the front of the cage to see what was happening, but he couldn't keep his balance long enough to do so. When the shaking stopped, Pebble found that he was in a different room. , he thought. The Eevee was going to look around the room, but he was distracted by a human. He was tall, dark-haired, and wearing the same kind of white coat that Pebble had seen on every other human in this place. And he was looking in the cages. “Hello young Eevees,” he said. “My name is Prof. Linch. I expect you're wondering why you're here. I am part of an organization called Team Rocket. We are trying to harness the abilities of the most powerful Pokemon. The natural route would seem to be to capture or create legendary Pokemon, but they have a reputation of being impossible to control. So I came up with a new idea: instead of trying to control powerful Pokemon, why don't we make powerful the Pokemon we can already control? The results wouldn't be as powerful as the actual legendaries, of course, but they would still outrank their unmodified counterparts. That's where you come in. It seems Eevees have the perfect genetic makeup to have their evolution process modified. Instead of just being a normal Glaceon, Flareon, and Jolteon, you three will have powers and abilities like that of the legendary birds. The injections please, Simon.”
A small human with chin-length hair and glasses held out three syringes, each containing an eyrie glowing liquid of a different color. Prof. Linch took the sky-blue one in one hand and opened Pebble's cage with the other. The Eevee suddenly felt very scared. I don't wanna have the powers of the legendary birds! he thought. I just wanna be a normal Pokemon like everyone else! Pebble moved to the back of the cage, but the professor grabbed the fox Pokemon's front leg and pulled him forward. The Eevee began to wail and cry, like a very young Pokemon separated from its mother, as the injection was inserted into his leg. "Quit being such a baby, Pebble!" said Fang called from his cage."Think of how awesome those powers will be!"
Pebble didn't see how the powers would be “awesome”, but he stopped wailing anyway, though he still had tears in his eyes. The professor, finished administering the injection, grabbed Pebble by the scruff of his neck and tossed him onto a concrete floor. The young Pokemon began to slowly rise to his feet when he felt a throbbing pain in his foreleg. Pebble looked down and gasped. The hair on his was slowly but definitely changing from brown to dark blue! Whats going on? Thought the Eevee. Then the pain began to spread, first to his chest, then to his other foreleg. In a matter of second the Eevee could feel it in his entire body. The injection site on his leg began to glow white, and soon the glow to began to spread. Is this...evolution? Pebble began to scream as the pain intensified, but the sound was cut off as the glow enveloped his head. No, I've seen evolution, its faster than this. The young Pokemon could feel his body changing shape, but the change happened in bursts, not smoothly like they would in normal evolution.
After a few minutes that felt like an eternity, Pebble felt the pain begin to ebb away, the glow fading with it. The Pokemon felt like all of his strength had been drained from him. He managed to take a step forward, then collapsed onto the cold, hard floor, darkness enclosing on his mind...

*~*~*~*

When Pebble awoke he found himself in a small, concrete room with a chain link door. Bright morning sunlight shined in through a small window. Cautiously the Pokemon got up, his claws scraping on the floor. Claws? Thought Pebble. Eevlutions do not have claws! But there they were, three small curved claws on each foot, with a fourth one about halfway up his legs. Pebble was startled at first, then he remember Prof. Linch's words about him not being normal after his “evolution”. Curious, the young Pokemon began to examine himself. He looked like a Glaceon, but his fur was a much darker shade of blue, and the ribbon-like fur on his head was brown, as were his paws. His tail was a long, sparkly blue ribbon, even darker in color than his fur. But the most striking difference was no doubt his wings. They were large, each about the length of his body, the same color as his fur, and had a faint sparkle.
“Pebble? Fang?” Pebble recognized Sky's voice. “Can you two hear me?”
“Sky?” He called back.
“Pebble!” said Sky. “Are you all right? Where's Fang?”
“I'm right here,” Fang replied. “And before you ask, yes, I'm okay.”
“I'm okay too,” said Pebble. “But...did you two wake up with wings and claws?”
“Yes!” Fang answered. “I can't wait to learn how to use them! Think of how powerful I'll be!” Pebble detected an unusually dark edge in his voice.
“I woke up with them, too,” Sky replied wistfully. “I still can't believe we were given these powers. We, of all the Eevees in the world! Those birds must have been very powerful to earn the name 'legendary'. I wonder what they looked like.”
“Powerful birds with big wings and claws on their feet.” said Fang.
“Thank you Fang, great master of the obvious,” Sky replied sarcastically.
Pebble was about to tune out his siblings' argument, but suddenly he realized something. “Hay guys,” he called. “I don't think we call each other by those names anymore.”
“Why's that?” asked Fang.
“Remember, Mother said we would be given new names after we were s- er.. got new owners.” answered Pebble.
“Oh yeah.” said Fang. “I forgot about that. I wonder what our new names will be.”
“We'll probably find out when Prof. Linch comes back,” Sky suggested.
As if on cue, Prof. Linch walked in, followed by another human in a brown suit and a cream, catlike Pokemon. “They are recovering very quickly, Giovanni,” said the professor to the other human as they walked in. “I think they will be able to start training by tomorrow.”
“Excellent,” said Giovanni. “And are these the Pokemon?”
“Yes,” said the professor. “This is Moleon, Zapeon, and Articeon.” As he spoke he pointed to each of the former Eevees in tern, first to Sky, then to Fang, then finally to Pebble.
So that is my new name, thought Pebble. Articeon.

Last edited:
What, no comments? Come on, people, at least tell me if you like it.

Chapter 2
Training Begins:

A day had passed since Articeon's “evolution”. The young Pokemon had just finished a bowl of Pokemon food, and was curled up in the patch of morning sunlight in his cage. Just as he about to doze off, he heard the door to the main room open. The Pokemon looked up to see Prof. Linch's assistant, Simon, walk in the room, fallowed by three other humans. The first was a female with long, curly, red-orange hair and green eyes. The second was a male who had short, black hair and very dark brown eyes. The third was another male with dark blue hair that went just past his ears and eyes the exact same color. All of them were wearing black clothes with red Rs on them.
“These must be them,” said the black haired human.
“They are all sooo cute!” squealed the female human. “Especially the spiky yellow one!”
“Hey!” yelled Zapeon. “I am not cute!”
“Awh, look, its trying to sound tough,” the female continued. The black haired human chuckled while the blue haired one rolled his eyes. Articeon heard Zapeon growl.
“So..Witch ones witch?” the black haired human asked Simon.
“The one on right is Moleon.” said Simon. “She's the only female-”
“I want it!” the female human cut him off.
“Okaay.. She's a Fire/Flying type and has the Flash Fire ability,” said Simon.
The human wasn't paying attention.“Hi Moleon!” she said. “My name's Autumn. I'm in charge off training you. Now do me a favor and get in this Pokeball, Okay?” Articeon heard Moleon's cage open, and then an odd laser-y sound that he guessed was the Pokeball.
“The one in the middle is Zapeon,” Simon continued. “He's Electric/Flying and has the Volt Absorb ability.”
“I'll take that one,” said the black haired human. “I like the way it reacted to being called cute. If that's okay with you, Caleb?”
“Whatever, Vincent.” responded the blue-haired human.
Articeon heard Vincent open Zapeon's cage, fallowed by the sound of another Pokeball.
Caleb reached for Articeon's cage and a Pokeball. “Looks like I'm stuck with you,” he said. Articeon looked at him doubtfully. Do I really want to be stuck with a trainer who didn't chose me? thought the Pokemon.
“That's Aticeon.” said Simon. “He's-”
“Ice/Flying?” said Caleb. “And has the Snow Cloak ability?”
“How did you?” asked Simon.
“It wasn't to hard to figure out,” answered Caleb. Articeon's ears twitched. He caught on to that awfully fast, Thought the Pokemon. And he seems to know a lot about Pokemon. I wonder what he could teach me. “Linch'll kill me if I battle in his lab, so just hop in the ball quietly, okay?” Caleb said to Articeon before tossing the Pokeball at him. The Pokemon didn't struggle when it absorbed him. Maybe this won't be to bad, after all.
*~*~*~*

Articeon didn't have time to think about what it was like in the Pokeball, at least he thought he didn't. When Caleb let the Pokemon out again he wasn't in the lab anymore, but in grassy field near what he assumed was the lab building. How long was I in the Pokeball? He wondered.
Articeon took a look around and noticed his siblings had been sent out of their Pokeballs as well. The Ice-type realized that he hadn't been able to look st them since their “evolution”. Zapeon looked like a Jolteon and was only a slightly different shade yellow, but the ring of spikes around his neck orange instead of white. His tail was wide and ended in a group of yellow and black spikes, and his wings looked almost exactly like his tail. Moleon looked like a Flareon but was yellow instead of orange, and the fire-like fur on her chest and head was dark brown instead of yellow. Her tail was a made entirely of fire, and her long, strait wings had fire along them. Both siblings had short curved claws like Articeon.
“All right,” said Vincent, “Let's start out by seeing what you can do. Aggron, come out!” He threw a Pokeball and sent out a large Pokemon that looked like it was made of rock and steel.
“Articeon!” the Ice-type heard Caleb yell impatiently. He turned around to see the trainer moved several feet away and was waiting for him. The Pokemon quickly scampered over. “The first thing we're going to do,” said Caleb, “Is get a feel for your ability level. I'm going to send out a Pokemon, and I want you to battle it as best you can.” Articeon nodded and got into a combative stance. “Go, Altaria!” said Caleb as he tossed a Pokeball. A graceful looking bird Pokemon amerged. It had an unnatural looking sparkle and was yellow with cloud like wings. Articeon was nervous. He had never actually battled before, and was worried he wouldn't know what to do.
“Altaria, Dragon Breath!” Caleb gave his first command. His Pokemon stared blowing green fire from its mouth. Articeon jumped out of the way and felt instinct take over. He ran to the bird Pokemon and slashed his fore-claws across its wing. “Use take down!” called Caleb. Altaria jumped into the air and started charging toured Articeon. Quickly the Ice-type pushed his front paw forward and spayed sand into the Flying-types eyes. While the attack managed to reduce the bird's vision, it still managed to ram its head powerfully into Articeon, throwing him to the ground. The Ice-type pulled himself to his paws. He gathered energy in his body, then released it in a twirling motion. Afterwords he felt like an idiot; the move hadn't dine much of anything, and the energy from it had disappeared. “Dragon Dance!” Altaria began swirling around in a circle, slowly getting faster. Carefully taking aim, Articeon gathered cold energy in his mouth, then fired, using the last of has energy, it as a small stream of snow. The attack hit Altaria and managed to wreck its flight path, but the bird quickly recovered. “That's four,” said Caleb. “Altaria, return.” Articeon watched as a Pokeball's energy beam absorbed the Flying-type, then collapsed on the ground, fainted.

*~*~*~*
“Scratch, Sand Attack, Helping Hand and Powder Snow,” said Caleb to no one in particular. “Not bad for a starting moveset, but he quite a bit of training. He looks like he has potential, though. Come on, Articeon, let's see how your siblings are doing.” Caleb turned to walk toured the others, then stopped. He hadn't heard a response from the Pokemon, not even a rustle in the grass. The trainer turned around to see that the Pokemon had fainted. “Yep,” He said, “Definitely needs more training. Return.”

Yay, I got coments!
Why doesn't Team Rocket have their own Articuno?
Because legendary Pokemon are almost impossible to control(it says that in Prof. Linch's speech in chapter 1).
well, he doesn't sound like a terrible person.
he seem bored, actually, Articeons trainer, i mean.
That was what I was going for, at least in this chapter. Looks like I got it right :)

Here's chapter 3. The actual chapter is mostly filler, witch is why its shorter. The last paragraph is a transition into the next one, witch takes place after a time skip.

Chapter 3:
Flying lessons

It was three days after Articeon and his siblings' first training session, and they had spent most of that time perfecting their moves. Today didn't look like it was going to be any different: it was early morning, the siblings were in there cages, their trainers withdrew them to their Pokeballs and let them out in the field behind the lab building. The only thing even slightly different was that today they were on a hill.
“Listen up you three,” said Caleb, “Training you isn't our normal job. Starting tomorrow we are going back to doing missions for Team Rocket, witch means we won't be here nearly as often to train you. So we're going to give you something to work on wile we're gone.”
“Ooh ooh, can I tell them?” said Autumn while jumping up and down.
“Sure,” answered Caleb.
“Caleb's gonna teach you to fly!”
Fly? Even though Articeon had wings, the idea of flying had never occurred to him.
“Lets get started then,” said Caleb, taking a Pokeball from his belt. “Come on out, Altaria, you're my assistant today.” The bird Pokemon, witch Articeon now knew was a shiny, female Altaria, popped out of the Pokeball. “First,” continued Caleb “we're going to try just gliding. I want you to jump off the hill and glide down to the bottom. Keep your wings spread out, but don't worry about flapping them. Care to demonstrate, Altaria?” Altaria jumped into the air with only a tiny flap of her wings, then spread them out and flew in state line. Even though she was facing forward the whole time, she slowly sank downwards, until finally she landed a few feet from the base of the hill. She turned to look up at Caleb, who nodded. “Just like that,” he said.
“Zapeon!” said Vincent. “Your up first!” Zapeon walked to wear Altaria had started and crouched down to jump. He look confident, but Articeon caught a hint of nervousness in his eyes. Then he jumped and spread out his wings almost exactly the way Altaria had. It worked for a wile, but about halfway down the hill he lost his balance and fell out of air. Vincent looked slightly annoyed. “Come back and try again.” he called. Zapeon did. He seemed more nervous this time, but it didn't look like the fall hurt him.
Zapeon made it farther before falling on his second try, and on his third managed to get to the bottom and landed almost perfectly. Moleon was up next. On her first try she only managed to fly a few feet before falling, and failed several attempts afterwords. Caleb said she was probably having a harder time because of her thin wings and more muscular build. Just when it looked like the Fire-type was going to fall a fifth time, she managed to right herself and glide to the bottom of the hill. Then it was Articeon's turn.
Nervously the Ice-type crouched down and closed his. You can do this, he told himself. Just keep your wings out, don't over think it, and.. He jumped. For a second he thought he was falling, but he didn't fall. Slowly the Pokemon opened his eyes and looked down. He was flying! The Pokemon was to scared to move his wings at all, but at the same time very exited. In fact, he was so exited that he didn't notice he was getting close to the ground until it was to late, and crash landed.
“Nice work, Articeon!” said Caleb after the Pokemon had gotten back up the hill. He seemed impressed.
“Yeah, nice work Articeon,” said Zapeon sarcastically. “That landing was really something. You made it look so easy, like you weren't even trying!”
“Don't listen to him,” said Moleon. “He's just jealous because you made it on your first try. You did great.”
Articeon only smiled, but on the inside he was bursting with pride. He had never done something well on his first try before, or at least had never got complemented for it.
“Now that you three have mastered gliding,” said Caleb, “Lets work some actual flying, starting with using your wings to get in the air.”

*~*~*~*
The siblings spent the rest of the day learning how to fly. Not long after that they settled into a routine: either Prof. Linch or Simon would let them out in the morning to train, and they'd spend the afternoons in the lab. Sometimes one of there trainers would be stop by to check on their progress and give them new techniques to work on. At one point the professor figured out they could learn the move Shadow Claw, and convinced their trainers to teach it to them. Before anyone knew it, months had gone by...

Here's chapter 4. I still haven't figured out how to make what needs to happen in the next few chapters happen, but I'm really exited because the plot is going to start heating up. Also:

If you couldn't guess its Articeon on the left, Zapeon on the right, and Moleon in the middle.

Chapter 4
The Assessment

Articeon was curled up, half asleep, in the center of his cage. Even though he was an Ice-type, he enjoyed the feeling of the warm, morning sun that came through his window. Suddenly the Pokemon was jolted awake by a loud crash. He looked to see what had caused it then relaxed. Simon had tripped on his way into the room and crashed the table Prof. Linch kept his notes on.
“You Okay?” asked someone in the other room. Articeon's ears twitched. That was Caleb's voice!
“Yeah, I'm fine,” responded Simon as he got up. “It happens all the time.”
Articeon got up and stretched as Caleb walked into the room. The trainer took out the Ice-type's Pokeball and returned him trough the cage door. Articeon had been in his Pokeball enough times to figure put how to think and hear people talk while he was inside it, even if he could keep track of time. Now he could hear someone talking.
“I'm so excited! Can you believe it's been six months since we got these legendary-Eeveelution
Pokemon. I'm so excited! And nervous! Are you guys nervous?”
“Not particularly.” Caleb responded
Was that Autumn talking? Articeon wondered. It certainly sounded like Autumn: the voice was definitely female, and Autumn had a tenancy to ramble like that. But what would she be excited and nervous about?
When Articeon was sent out of his Pokeball he was surprised to see that he wasn't in the field by the lab, but a clearing in a foresty area. He also saw that not only were Autumn and Caleb there, but Zapeon's trainer, Vincent, was as well.
“What is Autumn so exited about?” Articeon asked Moleon.
“Dunno,” answered the Fire-type. “What ever it is must be important, since all three of our trainers are here.”
“Today is a very big day for you three,” said Vincent, as if on cue. “Giovanni, the leader of Team Rocket, is going to assess how string you've become. First, to see how well you can find things from the air, you will each have to retrieve a flag. Articeon's flag is blue, Zapeon's is yellow, and Moleon's is orange. The flags are in the same general direction as the lab, witch is that way.” He pointed forward to the the area behind the siblings. “Go.”
Zapeon instantly jumped into the air and flew out of the clearing in the direction Vincent had pointed. Moleon gave herself a good running start before taking off. Articeon fallowed them out over the trees, then paused. Vincent only said the flags were in the general direction of the lab, thought the Ice-type. Flying straight to lab probably won't work. He decided the best plan was to gain some height and fly slowly towards the lab.
After flying a little higher, Articeon could see that the clearing was right on the edge of the forest. The lab was about half a mile away and surrounded by fields. The Pokemon had only flown a few feet before he saw a light blue flag at the edge of the trees. He quickly flew over to where it was examined it. It was about the same size he was, triangle-shaped, and attached to a wooden pole by a thin piece of rope. This is to easy! Thought the Pokemon as he slashed the rope with a Shadow Claw. He grabbed flag in his jaws and turned to fly back to the lab. And then a Pokemon attack knocked him into a tree.
At first the Articeon wasn't sure what had happened. He looked to see what had hit him and found him self looking at a large black and steel Pokemon. An Aggron thought Articeon. He must have attacked me. Articeon knew a lot about Aggons because Vincent had one, but this one was much larger looked stronger than Vincent's. The Aggron swung its tail around to attack again, but Articeon leaped into the air and dodged it. I can't fly well under these trees thought the Ice-type. He flew out into the open and spun around to face his opponent. The Aggron was throwing small, sharp rocks him. The Ice-type flinched a as they dug into his skin. He shook his head to recover, then swooped down to deliver a Shadow Claw, but the Aggron blocked it with his tail at the last minuet. After they broke apart it started forming a orange, fiery orb in its mouth. Hyper Beam, thought Articeon. He landed and waited while the Aggron to fired the attack. The Ice-type waited until the last second to dodge, then swooped in and delivered two Shadow Claws before the Rock-type could attack again. Afterwords it crouched down and prepared to fire more sharp rocks. Articeon charged up the largest Blizzard he could and fired it at the same time as the Aggron. The attacks exploded when they met. When the smoke from the explosion cleared, Articeon could see that the Aggron had fainted. He carefully flew over it, then grabbed the flag in his mouth and flew back to the lab.
Moleon was already at the lab with her flag when Articeon got there. “How'd it go?” she asked.
“Okay,” said Articeon. “Some wild Aggron decided to attack me for some reason.”
“You were attacked too!?” said Moleon.
“What attacked you?” asked Articeon.
“Dunno,” answered Moleon “It purple and spikey. I think it was part Poison.”
Just then Zapeon flew over, carrying a bright yellow flag. “You'll never guess what I had to go through to get this flag!” he said after landing next them.
“You were attacked by a wild Pokemon,” said Moleon.
“How'd you know!?” Zapeon asked.
“Both of us were, too,” answered Articeon. “I was attacked by an Aggron and Moleon got a spikey-purple-Poison thingy.”
“Well I had to fight this huge rock-snake thing,” bragged Zapeon. “And it was completely immune to my Thunder attack!” Moleon rolled her eyes.
Articeon turned and saw Caleb walking towards them with three Pokeballs in his hands. “Looks like you three passed your assessment,” he said. “Great job. Return.”
As Articeon was absorbed into the Pokeball, he couldn't help wondering if the wild Pokemon were a coincidence.
*~*~*~*

Giovanni watched from a small monitor as Zapeon delivered the final Shadow Claw to defeat his Onix. His Persian was on his lap, and Caleb, Vincent, Autumn, and Prof. Linch were looking over his shoulders. “Someone should probably get them,” remarked Vincent.
“I'll do it,” said Caleb. The other to agents handed him their Pokeballs. Caleb turned to leave the room, then stopped, as if waiting for something.
“Well,” asked Prof Linch, “What's the verdict?”
“They are ready,” said Giovanni. Caleb smiled and walked out of the room.

Chapter 5 is hear!

Chapter 5:
The Mission

Articeon was excited. It had only been a day since he and his siblings had passed their assessment, and already they were on a mission! Their was a building a short distance away that had things Team Rocket needed: Pokemon, supplies for the lab, and information. Apparently, it was guarded by powerful Pokemon, and in the past nobody could get passed them without setting off some sort of alarm. But now that the three of them were strong enough, they could take out the Pokemon before they had a chance to do anything.
Articeon was in his Pokeball, trying to hear any noise he could. At one point he heard the trainers talking, but their voices were so soft he couldn't make out what they were saying. Then he heard Caleb's voice.
“Alright Aritceon,” he said, “This is it. There are two Pokemon around the corner I need you take care of with Blizzard. Try to make as little noise as possible.” He released Articeon from his Pokeball.
Articeon was in a dark hallway, lit only by a few dim lights. He slowly looked around the corner wile he was charging the Blizzard and saw the shadowy shapes of two bulky Pokemon. He carefully took aim and launched the attack. When he was done the Pokemon, and a large part of the hallway, were completely frozen. “Nice work,” whispered Caleb. He started across the frozen part of the hallway, being careful not to slip on the ice. Articeon smiled and fallowed him. Soon they came to a door with glowing number pad next to it. Caleb hooked a device up to the number pad and waited for it to beep before opening the door.
Articeon followed Caleb into the room. The trainer took out a flashlight and used it to look around. It was a small office with a desk and a chair, a few scattered papers and a computer. “Perfect,” he murmured. He closed the door almost all the way, sat down in front of the computer, and turned it on. “Go keep watch,” he said to Articeon, “and make sure that door doesn't shut all the way.”
Watch! Thought the Ice-type. I came hear for an important mission, not watch duty! But he didn't protest. He sat down near the door, so that he could see out crack Caleb had left in it.

*~*~*~*
John walked through the hallways of the research lab. He didn't really need to be up; the Pokemon guarded the building at night, and even if someone managed to defeat them, the battle would create enough noise to wake a small town. But he was having trouble sleeping, and there was no better place for a guard to take a walk than the place he was in charge of guarding. He turn a corner and saw two Pokemon, Typhlosion and a Meganium, lying in the hall. Weird, thought John. He kneeled down next to the Meganium and gently shook it. “Wake up,” he said. “No sleeping on the job.”
“Mega,” the Pokemon said weekly.
John gasped. Theses Pokemon aren't asleep, he realized, They're fainted! Now very nervous, he walked farther down the hall. Soon he was at the room where the Pokemon were kept. The door was half open. He opened the door all the way and stepped into the room.
“Zapeh!” At the sound of the Pokemon's cry someone turned around and shown a flashlight directly into John's face. The guard immediately turned and ran back down the hallway. Unarmed and with no Pokemon, he knew he wouldn't stand a chance in a fight.
“Hit him with Thunder!” John heard a man's voice say. The guard looked over his shoulder in time to see a large bolt of electricity coming towards him. He jumped forward at the last moment and managed to dodge the attack. Thunder has very low accuracy, he thought. If I can keep moving, I should be able to dodge it. But he couldn't keep running forever, and he still needed to sound the alarm.
“Intruder!” he yelled.

*~*~*~*
“Intruder! Intruder!” Articeon listened as the voice, along with the sound of Pokemon attacks, got closer. He called to get Caleb's attention. The trainer looked up and listened to the noise, then quickly got up and ran to the door, opened it at looked into the hallway. For a second they didn't see anything, then a skinny human, Articeon guessed he was a guard, ran around corner, fallowed by Zapeon. The Electric-type kept trying to hit the guard with a Thunder attack, but he managed to doge them.
“Blizzard the ground on my signal,” said Caleb. Articeon readied the attack and watched as the guard ran closer. “Now!” Caleb yelled just before he passed the doorway. Articeon fired the attack. The guard had no time to react, he slipped and fell on the now frozen floor. That was all Zapeon needed to hit with Thunder.
Zapeon landed next to the now unconscious guard. Vincent, who had been fallowing the chase, ran over to them, panting.
“You think managed to wake up the others?” asked Caleb.
“I don't want to stick around to find out,” replied Vincent. “You finished in there?”
“Almost.” Caleb returned to the room to finish what he was doing.
Articeon walked out of the room. “I would have nailed him eventually,” said Zapeon.
“Sure you would have,” Articeon said without looking at him. He didn't want to argue with his brother, he was more interested in the guard. Something seemed a little...off about him. “You think he'll be okay?” the Ice-type asked Zapeon.
“Don't know, don't care,” replied the Electric-type. Articeon moved closer to and prodded the guard with his paw. No response. He prodded the guard again, harder this time. Still no response. He leaned over to examine the guard more closely.... and realized he wasn't breathing.
Articeon tensed as realization washed over him. He was vaguely aware of Caleb exiting the room, but was to dazed think. He's dead, thought the Ice-type. That human is dead, and I helped kill him!

Here's chapter 5. The next chapter should take a lot less time now that it's Summer and I have more free time than I know what to do with.

Chapter 5:
The Safari Zone

Articeon was glad to be in has Pokeball. He needed some time to think. He thought about the day he had evolved. He had been terrified then. Team Rocket had hurt him. But afterwords, everything had been all right. Team Rocket had taken care of him and trained him to be strong. He was a unique and powerful Pokemon because of them. In the last six months, he had pushed that day out of his mind. It hadn't made sense to him. But now it made perfect sense. Team Rocket didn't care if they had hurt him, they only wanted him for his power. Because, he realized, Team Rocket was evil.

*~*~*~*
Articeon had spent all of the last three days in his Pokeball, except for when Caleb had fed him. That was what Articeon was expecting now, but when he was released from his Pokeball, he found himself somewhere he had never been before. It was a large, grassy plain dotted with a few trees, completely flat except for the hill that he, Caleb and Altaria were standing on.
“This is the Safari Zone,” said Caleb. “Its supposed to be a place where Pokemon can live without fear of being caught, but Team Rocket has been catching rare Pokemon here for years. I come here every month or so to make sure nothing happens that will change that.” Articeon dug his claws into the ground. He didn't like this. “I want to scout the area for anything unusual,” Caleb continued. “You don't have to look under every tree, just keep your eyes open. Articeon, you take the northern half,” he pointed out the direction, “their should be any humans except maybe a trainer. Altatia will take the southern half. It will go faster now that I have to Flying types. I'll be waiting for you here.”
Articeon flew off over the Safari Zone. He wasn't sure what to do next. He didn't want to help Team Rocket, but the only alternative he could think of was to fight his trainer, and he didn't want to do that, either. And then it hit him. If the he had hands, he would have slapped himself in the forehead. I'm flying alone over a huge grassland, he thought, I just won't fly back. The Ice-type flew until he got to a large pond, where he decided to take drink and rest. He landed and took a few sips of water, then looked around for place to lay down. Instead he spotted a small Oran berry tree. Articeon's stomach growled, and he realized that he hadn't eaten that day. The Ice-type walked over to the tree and was about to grab some berries when a Pokemon jumped into his path. It was large, gray, and had a drill-like horn on its head. It looked like a Rock-type.
“My tree!” said the Pokemon.
“I just want a couple berries,” said Articeon.
“No!” the other Pokemon yelled “My tree!” Articeon considered leaving, but decided not to. If I'm going to be a wild Pokemon, he thought, then I'm going to have to get used to working for my food. Without warning, the Ice-type leaped forward and delivered a Shadow Claw at full power, causing the Rock-type to cry out in surprise.
“I just want a couple berries,” repeated Articeon, “And I don't want to fight.” The other Pokemon decided not to fight and walked of grumbling. Articeon flew into the tree and ate a few berries, then curled up by the water to rest.

*~*~*~*
“Articeon! Articeon, wake up!”
Articoen awoke to see Caleb's Altaria Standing over him. “What are you doing here?”he asked.
“Looking for you,” she said dryly. “You're lucky Caleb didn't find you first. He'd be pretty mad if he found out you've been sleeping for the past two hours.”
“Have I really been asleep that long?” Articeon asked as he sat up.
“Yes,” Altaria sounded agitated. “Come on.” She turned to leave. Articeon didn't move. “I said come on!”
“I..I'm not coming,” said Articeon.
“What!?” the Flying-type sounded really upset now. “Your coming, even if I have to beat you up and make you!” She looked ready to attack, but Articeon froze her before she had a chance to move. Then the he started running. Altaria is Caleb's only other Flying-type, he though, if I stay out of the sky he shouldn't be able to find me. The Ice-type paused to catch his breath. That's right he assured himself, Caleb won't be able to find me.

*~*~*~*
Vincent was relaxing on the beach South of Fuchsia City when his Pokegear rang.
“Hello,” he said into the phone, “This is Vincent.”
“Hey, Vince,” said the voice at the other end, “It's Caleb. Are you in Fuchsia City?”
“Of course I'm in Fuchsia City,” Vincent replied, “Its my day off. What's up?”
“I need some help with something,” said Caleb
“And what makes you think I'll waste the rest of my day off helping you?” asked Vincent.
“Remember when I saved your mission at Stark Mountain last year?”
“...yeah.”
“Well know one else knows about that. And if I get in trouble, someone may find out.”
Vincent thought about for a second “Alright fine,” he said, “But after this, we're even!”
“Good,” said Caleb. “I'll be near the Southern entrance to the Safari Zone. Bring Zapeon.”

I should have foreshadowed this chapter a lot more:unsure: I've been looking foward to the battle scene for a wile, though.

Chapter 6:
True Colours

Articeon had spent the afternoon wandering the Safari Zone on foot, keeping his ears pricked for any sign of Caleb. Now it was right after sunset. Articeon wondered if he should start looking for a place to sleep. He didn't really feel tired, but it was starting to get dark. He saw a rocky ledge and decided to look there.
“Articeon!” Articeon jumped when he heard his name. He looked up to see a familiar yellow Pokemon flying towards him.
“Zapeon!” he said as the Electric-type landed. “What are you doing here?”
“Looking for you,” said Zapeon. He didn't sound very happy. “I heard you decided to leave Team Rocket. What are you thinking?”
“Listen, Zapeon,” replied Articeon, “Team Rocket doesn't really care about either of us, they only want us are power. And they had us kill the guard on that mission.”
“And?” asked Zapeon.
“And?!” Articeon was shocked at how unfazed his brother sounded “They're evil. And they aren't going to protect us, so we won't be any better off with them than we would be on our own.”
“But we will be,” said Zapeon. “Team Rocket is a powerful organization. They could even rule the world some day! And I don't need them to protect me. I'm more powerful than any Jolteon could ever hope to be! Now your coming back, Articeon, or I'll make you come back.”
“But Zapeon,” said Articeon quietly, “We'd be hurting people if we stayed. And power isn't the most important thing.”
“Says you!” Zapeon's fur crackled with electricity as he launched a Thunder attack. Articeon leaped to the side right before the attack hit and launched himself into the air. Zapeon fallowed and hit the Ice-type with a Quick Attack. Articeon whirled around and used Shadow Claw on the Electric-type's face, then turned around flew off in the other direction. He hadn't made it very far when he was hit with a Thunder attack. Looks like I have no choice but to fight, he thought. He turned around to face his opponent, then sped forward with a Quick Attack. Zapeon dodged the move and struck back with Shadow Claw, but Articeon managed to move out of the way. Both Pokemon used Quick Attack at the same time and rammed into each other. Electricity sparked through Zapeon's fur. Articeon flew away and managed to dodge the Thunder. Then he launched a Blizzard at the same time as Zapeon launched another Thunder. The attacks collided exploded. The force knocked Articeon back, and lost consciousness...

*~*~*~*
Caleb and Vincent were looking around the Safari Zone for Articeon. Caleb wasn't looking very hard. He was thinking. Articeon must have run away because of what happened to that guard, he figured. I should talk to him about that. But there was more to it than that. When Caleb had first joined Team Rocket, he hadn't really known what he was getting into. He hadn't expected to have to hurt people or their Pokemon. But he had been to scared to not go through with anything and to scared to quit, and eventually he just stopped thinking about how what he was doing was wrong. He hadn't thought about it in years, but Articeon had made him star again. You can have moral debate with yourself later, he told himself, right now you need to concentrate on finding that Pokemon!
“Look!” yelled Vincent. He pointed at an explosion in the sky that looked like it came from a pretty powerful Pokemon attack. “That has to be them!” The two trainers raced to toward where the explosion was. When they got there Caleb spotted Zapeon laying on the ground, fainted. Vincent recalled it him without a word and walked off. Caleb walked off in the other direction. He found he was dreading the thought of actually finding Articeon. The Pokemon had obviously worked hard to escape, it just didn't seem right to stop it. That hasn't stopped you before, he told himself, but it didn't really help. He glanced around and spotted Articeon lying, fainted, next to a nearby bush. He took out a Pokeball to recall the Pokemon... and stopped. He knew would get in serious trouble for losing Articeon, he didn't want to take the Pokemon back, and he didn't want to force himself to do it. For a few seconds he just stood there, trying do decide what to do. Then he went over to the Ice-type and careful hid him in the bush. “Damn it, Caleb!” he muttered to himself as he walked of. “You know your going to regret this later.”

Back
Top Bottom