• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Awesome movies to Recommend

Zero Moment

Vinyl Scratch
Pronoun
He
Do you have a movie that is awesome enough to recommend to all of tCoD? Post it here!

My recommendation:
Once.
It has a lot of great music, and it's pretty moving. It's rated R, though, because it has lots of fuck in it.

Seconding Pulp Fiction - although the plot is pointless, the characters, scenes, dialogues and the general atmosphere of the movie more than make up for the plot. 5/5, perhaps my most favourite movie ever

Inception - Nolan's magnum opus (although he really didn't make any bad movies ever yet imo; he's probably my fave director), although everyone must've seen this one before so not going to go into details; however if you haven't, a definite must watch. very interesting, and the 2nd half is very exciting all the way through, partly due to Hans Zimmer's excellent soundtrack

The Shawshank Redemption - the plot is pure genius, especially the last 30 mins of it; Morgan Freeman did wonders with forming Red's character; I can't believe they originally wanted Harrison Ford to be Red, I simply can't see him playing Red anywhere near as well as Morgan Freeman could.

The Prestige - another Nolan movie, and although it does have a plothole (which could've even been easily avoided) that bothered me a bit, well the whole Tesla subplot was unneeded, but I'm willing to look past that and in that case say it's 5/5. very interesting and mysterious (Nolan really can't show a movie in a straightforward way if you don't count Batman Begins)

Memento - yet another Nolan movie, the one that "Brad Pitt was supposed to play in", a very immersive (mainly due to the unique way it's narrated) and deep psychological thriller with a lot of subtle dark humour about a person who cannot convert his short-term memory to long-term and believes only in revenge. 5/5 even more so than The Prestige; ironically it would've lost a lot of its quality had the plot been presented in normal chronological order, though.

50 First Dates - like the main concept (the short-term memory problem) of Memento but want to watch a romantic comedy instead as well? As much as I'm not really into the latter genre, this one is Adam Sandler's best movie hands down. Rob Schneider's lines are especially great.

Flipped - ironic to mention this after saying that I'm not into romantic comedies, but actually this isn't of the usual kind either; rather bittersweet story, just the way childhood is; highly recommended to everyone.

Stalker - had to mention this, although it isn't for everyone; a deep sci-fi without any sort of cheesiness, with awesome camera work, about existentialist problems, with an amazing climax, and just a very unique experience; but the casual viewers will probably find it a boring, 2 and half hours long waste of time with nothing gained from it whatsoever, so decide for yourself if you want to watch it. 5/5 though, like every other movie I've mentioned until now

Blade Runner - sci-fi with gorgeous graphics and soundtrack, and a great plot, characters and lines in general, one of Harrison Ford's best

The Dark Knight - another Nolan movie, about Batman. need I say more? (especially since everyone must've seen it just like Inception). other than the fact that I can't wait for the last part of the trilogy to come out this year. (and I really fucking hope Inception will become a trilogy as well somehow)

as for some animated movies,
How To Train Your Dragon - predictable, but still. very likeable characters, decent humour and great graphics all around.

Up - also predictable, but a fun watch like the one above; some people I know actually said this one made them smile/laugh at some parts and shed some mantears at others, and I can see why

Honorable mentions:
Spirited Away (highly recommended), Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, Bridge To Terabithia (highly recommended), Exit Through The Gift Shop (recommended for people who care about art), Back To The Future, Babe, Inglorious Basterds, Peacock (kinda creepy though), Big Fish, Black Swan (have never been so grossed out in my life by any other movie scene as much as the toes/skin parts though, but still a great movie nonetheless), Requiem For A Dream.

I've been watching tons of movies since I've even started a rym account where I also rate movies and not just music; you might find some other worthwhile stuff on there. Also got over 300 movies on my wishlist heh.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
V for Vendetta! So good!

I also really like The Prestige. Pulp Fiction is good, but I think I like Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels more, if we're going for dark comedy.

I can't think of any other objectively 'awesome' films off the top of my head. Will be back if I do.

Do not watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show. You will never regain your sanity. The songs are catchy catchy, though.

This.

And Scott Pilgrim, which is one of my favourite films. It's funny and has a lot of video game references.

This.

And Scott Pilgrim, which is one of my favourite films. It's funny and has a lot of video game references.

Lots of people said this before I watched it, and while I did catch quite a few I was let down because people had made me expect more :(

Inception is p. cool but Paprika did it first

and probably waaay better, that movie is amazingly mindfuck but great

Saw The Social Network on Sunday, pretty good movie! Everyone in the movie comes off as a smug asshole in the end, but Jesse Eisenberg's performance as Zuckerberg in particular is amazing. Also Trent Reznor wrote the score so it's automatically cool

Little Miss Sunshine is one of my favorites. And for lovers of musicals the newer version of Fame is pretty good, though a little cheesy. Also, my new favorite animated movie is The Secret of Kells. The animation is different, but that's why I like it. Oh, and there's a cat in it :D

V for Vendetta made me cry ;-; When the lesbian girl is killed by the government.

Another concur for Scott Pilgrim. Best movie for one-liners ever. And the leader of Sex Bob-Ombs is adorkable.

ooh in terms of new stuff, I heartily recommend Submarine. it's set in a Welsh village sometime in the 80s (I think it's the 80s? might be the 70s) and it's all about this romance between two teenagers. but it's really not at all saccharine, it's just very funny and incredibly sweet but in a good way. the main character is just like "HOW I SOCIAL INTERACTION" and his love interest is just like "LET'S BURN SHIT" and it is just the cutest thing ever! oh, and Richard Ayoade (Moss from the IT Crowd) directed it! go watch it.

I really, really want to see Submarine! It has Yasmin Paige (who plays Maria in The Sarah Jane Adventures <3) in as the love interest, and Richard Ayoade is the coolest ever.

And V for Vendetta makes me sad when
Stephen Fry - who basically plays himself in the film - is killed ;;

Saw The Social Network on Sunday, pretty good movie! Everyone in the movie comes off as a smug asshole in the end, but Jesse Eisenberg's performance as Zuckerberg in particular is amazing. Also Trent Reznor wrote the score so it's automatically cool

And Aaron Sorkin (who wrote The West Wing and Studio 60 and is basically the best writer ever with the possible exception of Joss Whedon) wrote the script!
...I haven't actually seen it, though. But I want to!

The Social Network is quite good; no matter how skeptical you are when you walk in that a film about Facebook of all things could possibly be even remotely interesting, it turns out to pretty much grab your attention from minute one and stay gripping throughout.

It always sort of impresses me more than otherwise when extremely talky films manage to be gripping like that; we're so used to movies being flashy and having action or at least very dramatic things happening that it's hard to appreciate beforehand that movies can be good while being mostly just characters talking. There is a movie called Tape that's a good example; it's based on a play and the whole thing happens in a single room with exactly three characters in it, but once the conversation gets to the point it's really interesting. (Also, it has Wilson Robert Sean Leonard!)

On a somewhat similar note (and picking up on the Quentin Tarantino love from a bit earlier in the thread), I really, really like Reservoir Dogs. It's not completely actionless, but it is a heist film in which the actual heist is skipped over during the opening credits and by far the bulk of the movie is just the characters interacting, and it's absolutely brilliant and intense and has really well written dialogue.

And though it is everything but actionless, from Tarantino I also recommend Inglourious Basterds; just don't make the mistake of thinking Brad Pitt and company are the protagonists. It may be the most nerve-wrecking film I have ever watched; the sheer sense of tension he manages to set up in the conversations is marvelous, and the fact they took care to cast actors that are actually of their characters' nationalities and speak all the languages they're supposed to speak lends the whole thing a lot more believability and flavor. Never mind that there are guys who go around scalping German soldiers and kill Hitler; this is just a really well made movie with some of the most perfect buildup and tension and atmosphere in any film ever.

well the whole Tesla subplot was unneeded

In what universe is David Bowie playing Nikola Tesla unneeded?

That said. My favourite film is 2001: A Space Odyssey, which for some reason a lot of people are bored by. I suspect this is because a lot of people do not understand beauty for beauty's sake. It is two and a half hours of perfection, in short. Kubrick is my favourite director; anything he does is brilliant in some way or another. Dr. Strangelove is the best comedy ever made and The Shining is the best horror film ever made. I think it speaks of his talent that he made them both. See also: A Clockwork Orange (Kubrick films ignore the rule about not watching the film before reading the book :D). Speaking of best comedies, Some Like It Hot is up there as well.

Moving on. I cannot overstate how good Inglourious Basterds is, but Butterfree has described it quite adequately. Let me second also the Nolan suggestions, but I find Following (his first film) is possibly my favourite (though The Prestige comes close. DAVID BOWIE, you guys!).

Metropolis is a completely ridiculous film you should probably see if you are at all interested in science fiction. If you like samurai epics (or if you don't) more or less anything by Akira Kurosawa is worth watching.

I'll stop before I move into three hour Russian science fiction films.

Last edited:
There is a movie called Tape that's a good example; it's based on a play and the whole thing happens in a single room with exactly three characters in it, but once the conversation gets to the point it's really interesting. (Also, it has Wilson Robert Sean Leonard!)

I googled this and around a thousand sex tapes came up. ... Thanks. :[ (I did end up finding it though, hopefully I'll see it soon and it won't be a sex tape in disguise.)

The Social Network is quite good; no matter how skeptical you are when you walk in that a film about Facebook of all things could possibly be even remotely interesting, it turns out to pretty much grab your attention from minute one and stay gripping throughout.

Have I made you watch The West Wing? Because that's exactly what TWW does - takes otherwise boring political discussions and makes them interesting, funny and relevant. And with some of the best characters ever. SO GOOD.
I realize we're talking films and not TV here, but.

Seconding; gosh I loved it. (My english teacher is so awesome he let us watch it for Guy Fawkes Day. In the US.)

That is fantastic XD

In what universe is David Bowie playing Nikola Tesla unneeded?

With Gollum as his sidekick, no less! :DDDD

Back
Top Bottom