• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[B/W] SERIOUS help need with my team. (it's not even complete...)

Mewtwo

Mage of Blood
Pronoun
she
Okay, so far I only know that I want a Zoroark and a Mienshao. I'm kind of new to competitive battling, so I need help with good type coverage, different strategies, etc. Also, IV breeding tips and good EV training spots are needed. I just can't get what I want off of Google.

Smogon + PokeGen B/W = Awesome teams

That is, unless you dont want to cheat.

I can't exactly help with EV training, but Smogon is what you're looking for.

It doesn't include them on the main site, but type in something like 'Serperior Smogon' on Google, and you'll find it.

I'm not entirely sure how much you know already, but...

IV breeding tips: Breeding is incredibly boring, especially if you're going for good IVs. If you're starting out, don't go for perfect IVs straight away, just the correct nature and maybe 25+ in the stats that count. Anything above that is a bonus, really.

EV training spots: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82382

The Smogon search is at the top of each page. If you search a Pokemon's name in there you'll should get results that say "Analysis" in the title. Those might help you out, but also experiment with new ideas. Keep in mind that some moves are difficult to obtain if you plan on playing legit (Event-only moves, good Hidden Power).

Smogon also has a few guides which were created for 4th Generation competitive battling, but most still apply to 5th Generation: http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/

Not sure if that helped.

So far, I have planned:

Zoroark
Dragonite
Metagross/Chandelure
Eelektross
Vaporeon
Mienshao

Will decide moves later. Should I go with Metagross or Chandelure?

It's really a toss-up. Chandelure has stats where it really matters, though I think Metagross gives you better overall coverage. Not to mention all the resistances that a Steel-type affords you. And with pokémon like Mienshao and Zoroark (both with base 60 defenses) you're probably going to want to switch them out frequently after they've done their damage. Chandelure has respectable defenses (base 90 in both categories), but a well-timed Ghost, Dark, Water, Rock, or Ground attack is going to put the hurt on anyway. Metagross, apart from having half as many weaknesses, has equal or better stats in both categories, as well better HP, more well-rounded offensive stats and (IMHO) a better move pool to take advantage of them.

Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Mienshao
Jolly/Adamant / Regenerator
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch/Hi Jump Kick/Aura Sphere
- Detect
@ Leftovers

Definitely have Regenerator as its ability. Fragile as it is, a lot of switch-outs could be its saving grace in keeping its less-than-stellar HP up. That being said, I'd also opt for U-turn (1. it prompts a switch-out 2. it deals respectable damage against Psychic-types that would threaten it later on). Stone Edge takes care of its other feared weakness, Flying-types. Drain Punch keeps its HP up, Hi Jump Kick is monstrously powerful (if not perfectly accurate), and Aura Sphere never misses. After that, I'd go for Detect with Leftovers attached, to gain more HP before a switch-out. But, that's just me.

Zoroark
Modest / Illusion
- Night Daze
- Extrasensory
- Flamethrower
- Calm Mind/Nasty Plot
@ Leftovers/Petaya Berry/Salac Berry

Truthfully, I've never even used Zoroark, but this Special set seemed a good compliment to Mienshao's physical prowess. Perhaps even use Illusion to copy Mienshao and fake out the Psychics for a turn, allowing you to set up with CM/NP. Night Daze -I would think- is standard on a Zoroark, being its signature move. Extrasensory is there to beat out Fighting-types (as well as potentially cause Flinch), Flamethrower to beat out Bug-types (and do significant damage to Steel-types, who resist Dark and Psychic). Leftovers as a futile attempt to keep HP up once the Illusion is broken, or Petaya or Salac to boost stats and potentially sweep. But, I'm kinda pulling stuff outta the air right now for this one. Anyone else got good input on Zoroark?

Vaporeon
Calm / Water Absorb/Hydration
- Surf
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
@ Leftovers/Lum Berry

About as standard as Vaporeon gets. Wish + Protect keeps its massive HP up, Toxic makes its opponents' HP go down. Surf is there to avoid Taunt with STAB and hasten the Toxistalling process (also to avoid being completely walled by Steel- and Poison-types). It could also help in whittling the opponents down and setting up a nice sweep for either of the two previous teammates.
--
Frankly, I'm too lazy right now to make suggestions for the other three, or to provide good input on IV's or EV training grounds. But, I hope this is a good start in helping your team out. Good luck.

Metagross is more durable and a better Physical sweeper, Whereas Chandelure is quite fragile, yet it's arguably one of the best special attackers in the game. If you do go with Chandelure, the moves Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, and Energy Ball are all good options. (I perosnally like having a grass type move on a fire type pokemon to counter any water types sent out against it.)

Metagross is more durable and a better Physical sweeper, Whereas Chandelure is quite fragile, yet it's arguably one of the best special attackers in the game. If you do go with Chandelure, the moves Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, and Energy Ball are all good options. (I perosnally like having a grass type move on a fire type pokemon to counter any water types sent out against it.)

Just noting that I have an in-game Chandelure ( I know there's a dofference, but still...) that has survived hits that I personally thought would've conked it out. Chandelure ismore durable that it should seem. Unless T-Tar. Then it's dead...

Chandelure has base stats of 90 in both defenses. It has the potential to get over 300 in either stat with the right nature.

Nothing extraordinary, but definitely above average. Especially as far as the Ghost-type is concerned.

And such the amazing survivability...

Chandelure is awesome, and the effective mivepool allows for great coverage.

...Mine seems to be very fragile, so I guess I trained mine wrong. :/

Well, then, Chandelure definetely seems like a better choice.

60/90/90 isn't really "sturdy", but it's acceptable bulk for an attacker. Unfortunately that's somewhat mitigated by Chandelure's relatively low speed.

I say replace Eelectross with Chandy and use a specially bulky spread for Metagross because it will be the only Pokémon capable of taking hard Dragon attacks on your team. Wish Vaporeaon will definitely be useful here.

I think to use Chandelure well, you should have 252 in both Speed and Sp. Attack, probably the remaining 4 in HP, and a Nature with -Attack and either +Sp. Attack or +Speed, and a Focus Sash to keep it from getting one-shotted.

Back
Top Bottom