• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Becoming a vegetarian

Minish

Pronoun
they
So yeah, after reading up a bit on how vegetarians don't actually miss that many nutrients (and also an absolutely horrifying factory farming video that scared the crap out of me), I've decided to finally become a vegetarian. ^^

I don't eat cheese or butter and I hate eggs, so I figured that I might just go vegan while I'm at it, although that would make it even more difficult to find food.

My mum's been a bit pissy about it... she's the only reason I've held it off for the past few years. We're not that well off and not having meat will apparently really disconvience her, plus I might have to buy all my own shopping myself. But regardless, I'm really looking forward to seeing what vegetarian stuff I can eat. :D

I'll be eating lots of fish next week though unfortunately, because I'm the only one who eats it (or rather, ate it) so I'll feel guilty if I don't eat all the fish Mum bought lately. I'm sure it'll make me feel a bit eh but after next week I can go fully veg.

Aaaanyway, the main purpose for this thread was not to ramble but get some tips from other vegetarians that might be lurking around on TCoD. :D How did you deal with transitioning, was it difficult for you? And have you got any advice for what to eat? I'd prefer to eat as little meat substitutes as possible as I don't really like them, and I don't think I'll like to eat anything that still bears the name "burger" or anything even if it isn't actually meat. But I'm willing to try new meat substitutes, I haven't had much before.

[/rambly]

I eat fish but not meat, and that made it a lot easier.

Isn't meat more expensive than most other foods? o.o

Anyway, full disclosure: I am not vegetarian. My mother and my sister are, though, which means that I am more or less am as well.

Do you like tofu? It is an excellent meat "substitute" (in that you can replace meat with tofu in recipes, not in that it tries to actually be meat), particularly in various Asian cuisines. That is my main bit of advice: Asian cuisine. Best source of vegetarian recipes, I swear. My favourites are Thai and Indian, Japanese is good too, though limited if you don't eat fish.

Also: pulses. Pulses and chickpeas. You can never have too much of either.

I'm not a vegetarian, but my stereotypical BFF is, so I might have a couple of tips.

-Do not go out to dinner with non-vegetarians that often. Go out to lunch and breakfast but not to dinner. Why? The majority of meat dishes are served at dinner.
-Going vegan is hard, way harder than going vegetarian. Why? Eggs, honey, and milk are in everything.
-Vitamin supplements: If you pick them, pick the RIGHT ONES. (I'm not the person to ask)
-You're going to be making more of your own food. Learn to cook now.

I'm also not a vegetarian, but I'd like to second Asian cuisine simply because I think I probably could be a vegetarian (or at least a pescetarian) if I could eat Asian food every day. :9

How truly vegetarian/vegan are you going to go? Because it can be a huge pain trying to find products that don't contain eggs/dairy/gelatin/etc.

This is a kind of cliché thing to say (I think) but just remember that it takes a lot of willpower not to eat bacon when you smell some cooking.

Probably even if you don't like bacon.

Wrong! I hate bacon, and even the smell (which I like) doesn't make me want to eat it.

I'm still eating chicken (very occasionally/when there's nothing else and I don't want to be rude) but for the most part I'm a pescetarian. :> I like fish, they tend to pimp out in the sea for their whole lives instead of being farmed, and it's probably a better idea health-wise (unless I want to take supplements but I'm like, no).

Quorn is really good. And vegetarian sausages do genuinely taste like the real thing! I couldn't tell the difference. :D Tesco's have a surprising amount of veggie stuff - you just have to go looking.

What about Quorn bacon, if that exists? Can you eat that?

I eat fish but not any other meats.

Also, There are meat substitutes made my Morningstar and Boca farms. I recommend Morningstar over Boca due to Boca tasting pretty bad.

Or, If you want to make your own food just go to your local health food store (If you have one) and by Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP). Its what most Veggie Burgers, Veggie Chicken Nuggets, Veggie Bacon, Veggie ribs, And other things are made out of.

I ate Quorn once and rather liked it, and I eat actual meat. So that probably is something to go for.

My sister "turned vegetarian" several times when she was younger. But each time she started excepting different meats from her vegetarianism one at a time until she was back where she started. :p

Isn't meat more expensive than most other foods? o.o

Anyway, full disclosure: I am not vegetarian. My mother and my sister are, though, which means that I am more or less am as well.

Do you like tofu? It is an excellent meat "substitute" (in that you can replace meat with tofu in recipes, not in that it tries to actually be meat), particularly in various Asian cuisines. That is my main bit of advice: Asian cuisine. Best source of vegetarian recipes, I swear. My favourites are Thai and Indian, Japanese is good too, though limited if you don't eat fish.

Also: pulses. Pulses and chickpeas. You can never have too much of either.

Yeah, I have no idea how not having meat is going to be more expensive, but she's determined to rant and rave to the entire family about my inconvenient decision. :|

I've never had tofu, but I'll definitely be checking it out soon. I'm not sure which meat substitute I actually had that I hated, since you guys are saying tofu and quorn are nice... huh.

How truly vegetarian/vegan are you going to go? Because it can be a huge pain trying to find products that don't contain eggs/dairy/gelatin/etc.

I'm probably not going to be vegan, now that I think about it. A near-vegan, since I won't be eating cheese, butter or eggs when I can help it, but you're right, it's going to be really hard finding vegan-suitable stuff. :<

This is a kind of cliché thing to say (I think) but just remember that it takes a lot of willpower not to eat bacon when you smell some cooking.

Probably even if you don't like bacon.

XD I used to adore bacon, but for some reason for the last few years I've really started to hate it. I think I ate a really burnt piece once and it traumatised me or something.

I just know my dad's going to taunt me with his wonderful barbecues. ;-;

Wrong! I hate bacon, and even the smell (which I like) doesn't make me want to eat it.

I'm still eating chicken (very occasionally/when there's nothing else and I don't want to be rude) but for the most part I'm a pescetarian. :> I like fish, they tend to pimp out in the sea for their whole lives instead of being farmed, and it's probably a better idea health-wise (unless I want to take supplements but I'm like, no).

Quorn is really good. And vegetarian sausages do genuinely taste like the real thing! I couldn't tell the difference. :D Tesco's have a surprising amount of veggie stuff - you just have to go looking.

I really love fish too, especially all the healthy ones like pilchards and salmon. :/ But eh, if I'm going to cut out meat I might as well do it properly and I'm sure I can live without it.

Fish do tend to have better lives before being eaten, but then "aquaculture" (which deceptively sounds rather fun) is becoming more common now... I don't trust supermarkets to tell me when animals are being abused before being killed. D:

I actually really hate vegetarian sausages, I think that's what I had before... maybe I just had a really crappy kind. And yeah, I've seen vegetarian stuff at Tesco, despite what my mum claims, so I'm going to have lots of fun going on a veggie hunt. :D

I ate Quorn once and rather liked it, and I eat actual meat. So that probably is something to go for.

My sister "turned vegetarian" several times when she was younger. But each time she started excepting different meats from her vegetarianism one at a time until she was back where she started. :p

Heh, I'm sure that won't happen to me... tbh the idea of eating meat kind of sickens me now, which is a bit weird since I've been a really good meat-eater for like, my entire life. o_O

Thanks again guys for all your suggestions! <3
...also, is it just me or is the word "legume" really, really awesome? Whenever I see it I can't help but go "legooooom". Maybe I'm just a freak. :P

I'm not a vegetarian, but I try to eat meat-free at least twice a week.

I fucken hate fish.

I was a vegatarian, until my dad found out. (Long story short he fillped a lid and took me to a wing resturant, knowing full well chicken wings are my weakness. I didn't last a week, hope you do better.) To be honest though I don't think I could ever be 100% vegetarian, cause I need nee some sort of meat, even if it is just fish.

I may not be a vegetarian, but I know lots of people who are! (yay feeling terrible eating meat around them...)
Good friend: he talked it out with his mom. They are from down south, so she was just a little disappointed.
Significant other: they just decided to one day, and their parents were okay with it... this wasn't helpful...
Another good friend: his sister is vegan, I think, so when he went too, his parent's didn't really care... (once again, not helpful...)

Soo... yeah. Not too helpful on my part, but my first advice is to talk about it with your parents. Try to make a deal with them. See where that takes you.

I've always thought people who are vegetarians were really missing out on a ton of important nutrients, but after reading this topic, I'm a bit tempted to actually do it somewhat myself. Not vegan, but I've always thought the method in which companies kill animals for food is very cruel. It seems interesting to get rid of meat...

A lot of vegetarians are ridiculously unhealthy.

Yeah, but not all of them are, and a lot of non-vegetarians are equally unhealthy, often for the same reasons.

You can be a vegetarian and live off nothing but twinkies and you won't be healthy, but you don't have to be a vegetarian to eat nothing but twinkies.

Back
Top Bottom