• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Chrome Gym Leader Tournament (ENDS AUGUST 7TH)

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any
Let's make this short, sweet and to the point so that we can get this over with, mkay?

So! This is the part you've all (allegedly) been waiting for--the selection of the new gym leaders. This will be a relatively standard tournament, exact format to be determined when I see how many people sign up. Since I do still have one definite Chrome leader left, I'm looking for at least seven leaders; I would prefer eight to eleven, but we can get started with seven new ones.

Rules:

1. Registration deadline is currently set at midnight (GMT-5) on July 10th. There is no upper limit to the number of registrants, and the actual tournament structure will be ironed out when I see how many people are interested. However, the tournament will not start without at least seven people. If there are fewer than seven by the deadline, I'll extend it.

2. Pokémon are expected to be competitively trained. If you only train casually, do not enter this tournament and enter the Crystal League equivalent instead. You may enter both as long as you use two different and appropriate teams for each, and understand that priority will be given to people who only entered one tournament if there's a dispute over spots. You must also be willing and able to keep two gyms running at once should you be chosen as a leader in both tournaments.

3. When registering, include your friend code and your timezone (in GMT) in your post; you won't be officially registered until you do so. I will attempt to do my best to make sure that people aren't paired against someone with a drastically different timezone unless there's no way around it.

4. Make sure you're well-acquainted with the league rules as well as the Chrome gym leader rules before you decide to enter.

5. Disconnects that occur ten or more turns into the match when one player is significantly ahead of the other count as deliberate and as a loss for the player who was losing; unless they can make a satisfactory argument, that player will also be disqualified.

6. This tournament is going to finish. I'm not kidding here. Whatever the format is, there will be a deadline for each round and you will finish your battles by that deadline or I'm kicking you out and moving on without you. There will be no second chances, and no, you won't get a gym leader position even if your DQ loss would normally guarantee you a spot. If you can't meet your opponent for battle then you'd better have a damn good excuse and you'd better tell me about it beforehand.

Ideally the league should have twelve leaders, four for each tier, though we may not get enough of a turnout for that to happen right away. Depending on the number of entrants, the top seven to eleven will be given a spot. Your tier will be determined by your position once the tournament ends--the winner and runners up will be tier three, the next best will be tier two, etc.. There may be additional prizes for the winner if I can scrounge something up and get my Wi-Fi to cooperate.

Sign up and ask any questions in this thread. Now get going: remember, you have until the 10th to sign up. Good luck.

Entrants:

1. sreservoir (3438 5581 2925, GMT-5)
2. Espeon (1933 7982 7734, GMT)
3. superbird (3395 6754 9588, GMT-5)
4. Little Monster (3739 3463 8244, GMT-6)
5. Blackthorne Steele (3953 9369 0522, GMT-8)

Last edited:
Re: Chrome Gym Leader Tournament (DEADLINE JUNE 10TH)

you may want to change that to july 10th?

otherwise, I'll sign up for this.

fc: 3438 5581 2925
tz: gmt-5+1 (eastern plus daylight)

guess I'll have to get around to finishing that team, then. or something.

Last edited:
Re: Chrome Gym Leader Tournament (DEADLINE JULY 10TH)

Guess I'd best sign up then. :P
Friend code: 1933 7982 7734
Time zone: GMT±0

I might as well.

FC: 3395 6754 9588
Timezone: GMT-5+1 (Eastern+Daylight)

I'll join, but I'm guessing we'll need a few more people... and the deadline's tomorrow.

FC: 3739 3463 8244
Time Zone: GMT-6+1 (Central + Daylight)

At this rate I'll probably extend it for a little longer. Thanks for signing up, though.

C'mon, folks, I'd still like to have at least three more people sign up. Because there are fewer than seven entrants at this point I'm going to push the deadline for this back another five days. Anyone else who wants a shot has until the end of the 15th to step up; after that, well, I'll work on it.

Re: Chrome Gym Leader Tournament (DEADLINE JULY 15TH)

I guess I could try my hand battling competitively apart from Youtube...

Steele, at your service.

FC: (SoulSilver) 3953 9369 0522
GMT-8 (Pacific Time)

Re: Chrome Gym Leader Tournament (DEADLINE JULY 15TH)

Okay. Sorry for the delay. Due to the awkward number of entrants, the simplest way to get through this is probably to have you all play a single round, round-robin style. Each of you is to battle the other four entrants once, then report how much you won by here (3-0, 5-0, etc.). After everyone is finished, you'll be ranked according to how well you did--the fewer pokémon you lost overall, the higher your tier. We're just going to have to make do with a total of six leaders to start with, which means that there will be one tier 1 position and two each of tiers two and three up for grabs.

Any suggestions for a better way to go about this are appreciated, though obviously they should come sooner rather than later. I'm going to give you all three weeks to finish this (though I really hope it doesn't take anywhere near that long), so please make sure you've battled all four other entrants by August 7th. If there's someone you can't contact and you're nearing the deadline, post here and let me know about it so I don't assume you're both at fault.

That's it then, I guess. Remember, you have until August 7th; post here if you have any questions or if there's a problem contacting someone. Good luck.

To let people know, I will be on a trip for about a month. On the plus side, I'm available for about a week from the 23rd, so I'll have to do all battles then. I can negotiate tomorrow (the 18th), but pretty much any time is good for me.

Last edited:
In adition to my previous post, I'll be available all of today and until 1600 My time. (GMT -5)
Idea: Couldn't we privately negotiate battle times with PMs?

I can't battle today, but almost all of this week I can, as well as the next week.
I'll be kinda bummed if we have to use only one team, but I guess I wasn't planing on switching any of me team anyway. :P

EDIT: I am currently having issues with Wi-Fi, so I am unable to battle tomorrow (or rather today, as it's 12:07). I will be at a different house with a reliable router for the rest of the tournament's duration. Sorry for any trouble!

Last edited:
I'd expect so. After all, the leader can only have one team.

As far as I know, leaders aren't required to use the same team in the gym. Personally, I don't see why that should be any different in this specific tournament (mostly because it helps prevent others from telling everyone who you used against them). And in the past, we were allowed to change our teams, provided we stayed within the limitations of whatever tournament was going on.

As a side note, why is it that all the competitive trainers always have such limited time? The Crystal League tournament seems to be off to a great start. :<

Is this tournament free-for-all, no special regulations except for rules? I mean, like any specific clauses or anything?

Is this tournament free-for-all, no special regulations except for rules? I mean, like any specific clauses or anything?

Goes to show how tired I was when I was trying to hammer this out. OHKO, evasion, sleep and species clauses, sorry.

Gym leaders are not required to stick with the same team and may change it whenever they like; I never saw a reason to limit the teams used in previous leader tournaments, either, so you're also welcome to change those.

And yes, it is generally a good idea for you to arrange match times privately, unless you need to tell everyone you'll be unavailable for a while.

Back
Top Bottom