• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Computer Recommendations?

Spoon

Pronoun
she
A bit of a backstory: so, I had my laptop, which was a graduation gift, stolen. Seeing as it was a Mac, it was a bit on the pricey side and I'd rather not spend that much on a replacement.

Unfortunately, what I actually know about computers is abysmal at best, so I was hoping to get some recommendations for something in the price range of $500-$700. Any help is much appreciated! :D

Are you specifically looking for a laptop? I got a 750 GB/6 GB/i5 Toshiba Satellite for $550 last year that's quite keen. I'm sure you should be able to find quite a bit in that range.

What do you do on your computer? That can have an effect on whether it's best to get a cheaper, lighter, less powerful one (for convenience, but less power) or a more expensive, more powerful, heavier one (for power, but less convenience)

Yeah, a laptop for college-use and general web browsing; I do a bit of art stuff, but that's about it. I don't need a gaming computer or something with a ton of memory, just something that doesn't need a lot of maintenance and good battery life.

Hmm... my sister got a Vaio computer. It looks nice and it's powerful enough to have several windows in multiple applications open. It's one of the newer models, so it's available in most electronics stores. I'll find the model name tonight. I think it cost around 500 or 600 dollars.

If you're looking for a non-mac, I strongly recommend a samsung (mine is a R540). I've dropped mine countless times and it seems fine, and their customer service is actually fucking awesome. My battery stopped working at the start of the year and it was on warranty, so I called them up and they had it back to me fixed in like, three days. I've had it for like, two years and it's pretty great. When it's fully charged it has 3-4 hours of battery life, which isn't too bad.

I can make recommendations on what not to get. First, you want something newer than XP if you're browsing the internet and DO NOT GET WINDOWS CE! I cannot stress that enough.

Back
Top Bottom