• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Creating a Metropolis

Black Yoshi

look at that PUNGENT KILLSTICK.
The title says most of it. I want to make a gigan-freakin-tormic city for a stupid little idea I had. I've checked a bunch of generators and none of them are giving me quite what I want. SeventhSanctum, Chaoticshiny, and so many others I can't even think to remember. I've looked on other forums, but couldn't find anything great there, either. But I trust you guys because you're awesome and I love you all. Seriously. You da man. Or woman. Or whatever else you'd like me to call you.

Some people might want to have an idea of the city because that's what they do. Well. As far as my mental picture of the city thus far:

It was established on a peninsula as a small port in the late 1800s. It would grow very little (relatively speaking) for some time, but would prosper from a healthy fishing economy. In the 1970s, a company called Apex Industries (Subject to change) moved in. In the '90s, the town's population skyrocketed during an offshore oil-boom. Sometime in the 2000s, an eccentric billionaire name Howard Swanson purchased the whole of Apex Industries, renaming it SwanCorp.

With oil booming, the fishing industry died out with most of the fish. Swanson made this town the center of his new empire. 2060s, the Swanson family hit a run of bad luck, and ended up in a "partnership" with businesswoman Melisa Shields, so SwanShields Technology was born. In the last thirty years, the Swansons have been run out on scandals, and SwanShields fell entirely to the Shields family, and become the world's leader of weapons technology.

The city also has the highest crime rate world-wide, with mobs, thugs, and scandals being a part of everyday life. (Yes. I want superheroes. Superheroes can't live in modest suburbs.)

OKAY, so I know that was mostly about the company, but I don't care, it was fun. Point is, I've been watching too much Batman lately. So I want my own little Gotham. My own little Wayne/Stark Industries. If you guys could help me given the load of bull I just spat out on my keyboard, you'd be even more awesome.

Republic City

Try using real words to form it if it's really hard, like Silver Bay or Farm Cove! Or something else.

Ilalo City?
Zoteg City?

It's a little sci-fi for what I was thinkin', but I'll remember it.

something -burgh

That's pretty much what I've been mumbling to myself. :3

Republic City

Try using real words to form it if it's really hard, like Silver Bay or Farm Cove! Or something else.

I've been bouncing some stuff like that around, mostly as "old names" for the town, thinking it'd be renamed after some time. Real words and names of "founders" are two things I've tried naming the city after.

part of the problem may be that you're not althogether clear what you do want? clarify, what exactly are you looking for?

Okay, so a near-future city akin to, say, New York or Hong Kong. Very big, very bright, very dangerous. I don't know if what I'm saying helps at all, but the name itself wouldn't be too far from modern names we have.

... so, would you care to buy the brooklyn bridge?

(based on your reactions, I'd guess you are wanting just a name, but. "I want a city" is an expensive order to fill, eh?)

... So you're just looking for a name, then?

... Yes. Pretty much.

... so, would you care to buy the brooklyn bridge?

(based on your reactions, I'd guess you are wanting just a name, but. "I want a city" is an expensive order to fill, eh?)

Not following the bridge part, BUT, just name. I almost feel like I shouldn't have made a thread for this now, for one little name. ._. But I did, so...

uh there's an idiom about the gullible and selling bridges, especially the brooklyn bridge.

but anyway, if you have, say a large list of city names that seems about right except that they've been used, I'm sure I could dump them all into my markov-chain thingamajig and spit out a batch of more reasonable-sounding names.

Well, real life towns/cities are normally named after founders, local landmarks/geological formations/bodies of water, (if in the Americas) cities from the colonizing countries, or local tribes.

Maybe name it after the bay/ocean it's nearby?

Or maybe it's name changed over the years (Istanbul was Constantinople, and all that).

Well, real life towns/cities are normally named after founders, local landmarks/geological formations/bodies of water, (if in the Americas) cities from the colonizing countries, or local tribes.

Maybe name it after the bay/ocean it's nearby?

Or maybe it's name changed over the years (Istanbul was Constantinople, and all that).

^This. When I needed to do an alternate history, I renamed Las Vegas to Rivera City after the first foreigner to find the Las Vegas Valley.

:O

I'm really excited that I found this because I was designing a massive city that is similar to yours. I was also inspired by Gotham and Batman. xD Considering that your city is based on a peninsula, a name with Cape would be cool. Or maybe Pacific City (As opposed to Atlantic City). Here are some other names related to oceans:
  • Ocean Ridge
  • Shoal City
  • Grey Bay
  • Europa
  • Triton City
  • Riverview
  • New Lemuria
  • Phaeacia

I would love it if you named it Phaeacia (FEE-AYE-CIA). xD They're purported to be a seafaring people who lived on an inaccessible island, but had ships capable of traveling across the world. They were cursed by Poseidon though. Seems improbable for a modern city though.

My metropolis was founded during the early 1600s as a colony outside of the English Charter. Built as a religious utopia built upon strong, unwavering Protestant values, the city of Patriarch exists outside of the control of the United States, despite being located on the contiguous US coast. The city is named Patriarch and models heavily the style of the Eastern Orthodox Church while combining the values of Calvinism and Anabaptism. The city's leader is known as the patriarch and is always a male member of the clergy.

Patriarch's citizens believe that baptism at a young age will open the gates of heaven for all citizens. For generations, Patriarch's citizens have been baptized in the Patriarch River. Recently, industrialization along the coast have contaminated the water and although environmental and human rights activists have protested the baptisms, it is law that all Patriarch citizens be baptized in the river and for this reasons, the majority of Patriarch's current generation have manifested superpowers.

Our metropolises are very similar, though yours focuses more on economic factors and mine focuses on religion and politics. Maybe we could collaborate? xD

Back
Top Bottom