• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Critique my game mechanics

Ridous

Kitty kat :3
I have afew mechanics that will be in my game for my senior project called "Dream Realm." Please note that some ideas have come from MANY online games but I have no clue if it will suffice, I will also give an example of a storyline boss in the works after I get some critiques. Please tell me if its to radical, to deluded, and ect. Here goes...

Weapon Upgrade Plan - Weapons to be upgraded need to reach a certain weapon level depending on the weapon. Upgrade valiance is 1 per five weapon levels. Some weapons can not be upgraded regardless of its weapon level.

Weapon Level Plan - Weapon level up by the amount of time spent in battle and the number of monsters. Certain weapons can not level up and some have level caps.

Weapon Durability Plan - The higher the upgrade is, the faster the durability is diminished.
(Equation: 100-Upgrade level = number of kills needed to diminish durability by 1.) Durability can be replenished by using grind stones for melee type weapons, strings for bows, and chains for yoyos. Books lose durability(Pages) for every 150 casts. Special monsters called "Paper Beasts" may drop paper that will replenish book durability. Casting spells on paper beasts will not drop book durability. Grind stones will be used automatically when a specific durability is reached or matches the amount that a grind stone recovers. There are durability safeguards for weapons, the Holy Scabbard for all melee weapons, Stary Bookmark for books, Grey Elixir for Wands and stave, Gold Lubricant for bows, and Silver Lubricant for yoyos.

Party Plan - The limit to a party is 20, if there are atleast 5 for the same gender or 5 of the same root job, the exp rate is increased by 50% and damage output is increased by 5%. If there are atleast 10 for the same gender or atleast 1 of each root job, the exp rate is increased by 100% and damage output is increased by 10%. If there are atleast 15 for the same gender or atleast 5 of each root job, the exp rate is increased by 200% and damage output is increased by 25%. If there are atleast 20 for the same gender or atleast 6 of each root job, the exp rate is increased by 500% and damage output is increased by 50%.

The current weapons in the game will be: Swords, Two-handed Swords, Axes, Two-handed Axes, Spears, Daggers(With Jewel Slot), Strapped Katars, Scythes, Claws, Katana, Books, Stave, Wands, Bows, Grand Bow, Crossbow, Lightbow, and Yoyos.

The only plan I'm sketchy with is the Party Plan...You be the judge!

Last edited:
Re: Critique my mechanics

Haha - if you give this thread a less puzzling name, more people will look at it, and you might get more replies. I thought it was going to be about maths.

This just sounds like every mechanic from every MMORPG I've ever played shoved into one game.

I thought it was going to be about math...

Party Plan - The limit to a party is 20, if there are atleast 5 for the same gender or 5 of the same root job, the exp rate is increased by 50% and damage output is increased by 5%. If there are atleast 10 for the same gender or atleast 1 of each root job, the exp rate is increased by 100% and damage output is increased by 10%. If there are atleast 15 for the same gender or atleast 5 of each root job, the exp rate is increased by 200% and damage output is increased by 25%. If there are atleast 20 for the same gender or atleast 6 of each root job, the exp rate is increased by 500% and damage output is increased by 50%.

... I don't like the same-gender-get-more-exp thing. It'll cause discrimination and other not as shiny stuff.

This just sounds like every mechanic from every MMORPG I've ever played shoved into one game.

Sorry, didn't know there was math mechanics xD

Anyways, here's the scenario battle(This is a game with REAL TIME BATTLE, not the turn by turn thingy)

5th Boss of the game

Name: Scarlet Joker
Lvl: 658
Hp: 1,500,000,000
Mp: 980,000
Exp: 500,000,000

Attack: 2541~2555 (this is crude damage)
Def: 3552 (damage is dealt by (Def/2 - Attack))
MAtk: 3521~3890
MDef: 2100 (((MDef/4 - MAtk*.3)*1000)crude formula for now)

Blood Corese: 200% MAtk : 10,000 Mp
Scarlet Trail: 500% Attack, 5 second stun : 500,000 Mp
Sky of Ember: 50% Matk, 0.5% Burn damage : 1,000 Mp

Your party

Name: Ein (♂)
Lvl: 657
Hp: 568,554
Mp: 56,881

Weapon: Lv587 Sword+117
Attack: 1523~1968 + 1352~2541
Def: 5685
MAtk: 868~889
MDef: 3411

Killer Strike: 150% Attack, 5 second stun @ 45% chance: 1 min cooldown : 1,000 Mp
Nova Clash: 600% Attack: 5 min cool down : 14,000 Mp
Silver Flash: 65% blinding, lowers enemy acc by 80% : 13,850 Mp

Name: Ren (♀)
Lvl: 588
Hp: 32,225
Mp: 477,813

Weapon: Lv0 Book
Attack: 521~521
Def: 2110
MAtk: 3582~3985
MDef: 6352

Heal: 160% MAtk, Single target: 10 sec cool down : 50 Mp
Cure: Removes status inflictions, group target: 10 sec cooldown : 100 Mp
Guard: 62% increase Def and MDef, group target: 1min duration, 2min cool down : 125 Mp
Valor: 45% increase Attack and MAtk, group target: 30sec duration, 2min coo down : 200 Mp

Name: Serene (♀)
Lvl: 658
Hp: 590,369
MP: 866,658

Weapon: Lv 658 Scythe+131
Attack: 6582~6958 + 10,368~28,366
Def: 1125
Matk: 2541~3666
MDef: 5685

Ravage: 56 x 500%, Single target: 3 min cool down : 121,000 Mp
Gentle Blood Suck: Regan 5% Hp every 10 secs for 2mins, Ally -.05% Hp every 2 secs for 8 mins: 5min cool down, only usable on females : 25,000 Mp
Revival: Brings Ally back to life at 80% Hp and Mp: 2min cool down: 800 Mp
Assault Formation: 75% increase Attack and MAtk, group target: 30sec duration, 2min cool down : 200,000 Mp
Mana Control: Regan 10% Mp, group target: 5min cool down : 60,000 Hp
Future Revival: Brings Serene back to life with 1 Hp and 1 Mp with 60% Attack increase for 6 mins

Yes, 1billion Hp for the 5th boss, and yes, characters that broke 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600. *needs rest*

Downsize. Divide all those numbers by 5 or 10. They don't need to be that big.

Deck of cards themes have been used a million times before, and Jokers as the final card are equally cliche.

I really am not liking the gender experience thing. There aren't even twenty male characters in the first place.

This entire thing needs to be downsized. Seriously.

Downsize. Divide all those numbers by 5 or 10. They don't need to be that big.

Deck of cards themes have been used a million times before, and Jokers as the final card are equally cliche.

I really am not liking the gender experience thing. There aren't even twenty male characters in the first place.

This entire thing needs to be downsized. Seriously.

Are you talking about the numbers all-round or a specific set of them?

The Joker is only the 5th boss in the game I'm planning, its the only joker in it and there's no other deck themed characters in it besides 2 jobs.

There are 2 ways to reach the 500% exp category. First is to have 20 of same gender thing. Second is having 6 of each root job, like 6 warriors, 6 mages, and 6 archers with a random other 2 people in the party. You don't necessarily need to make both of them become true, but you can and it won't stack the exp multiplier or the damage multiplier.

I used this scenario because listing 20 people would take along time, if you want, I can bring one that has all 20 fighting a giant mob. xD

Also, you may quote my scenarios and talk about what needs to be fixed.

I was assuming the Joker would have that much health because he's a final boss. If he isn't, having so much health is overkill.

...billions of HP? Levels in the hundreds? And that's only the fifth boss...? That's just wrong. It was bad enough when games like FFX started having enemies with HP in the hundred-thousands and millions; having billions of HP is just stupid. I'd suggest you tone down the "LOOK AT THE BIG NUMBERS!" thing.

And why in the world do parties made up mostly of the same gender get bonuses? It just doesn't make any sense. Why would 20 guys or 20 girls magically be better at everything than, say, 12 guys and 8 girls?

...billions of HP? Levels in the hundreds? And that's only the fifth boss...? That's just wrong. It was bad enough when games like FFX started having enemies with HP in the hundred-thousands and millions; having billions of HP is just stupid. I'd suggest you tone down the "LOOK AT THE BIG NUMBERS!" thing.

And why in the world do parties made up mostly of the same gender get bonuses? It just doesn't make any sense. Why would 20 guys or 20 girls magically be better at everything than, say, 12 guys and 8 girls?

I know its outrageous o.o

Anyways, like I said before, the party of 20 guys or girls is optional. You can have lets say the 12 guys and 8 girls you mentioned are in the party, they together can still make the 500% exp condition become active. If 2 of those girls were in the warrior root and 4 or 5 guys were also a warrior root, that condition has been met, the question is are the other two met aswell.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

Warrior Root: 2 Girls, and 4 boys. = 6: Condition met
Mage Root: 4 Girls, and 3 boys. = 7: Condition met
Archer Root: 2 Girls, and 5 boys. = 7: Condition met
total is 20 members

Are all three conditions met? yes. The 500% exp is activated.

Like in my previous post, there are 2 ways to reach the 500% exp, one gender specific and the other one root job specific.

I understand that it's optional and you can get the same boost in another way.

I just don't understand what the logic behind "large groups of the same gender magically do things better than a mix of both genders" is. That's what I'm asking: why make gender, of all things, one of the requirements for getting a boost?

Back
Top Bottom