• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Does Size Really Matter?

Celestius Nexus

Ok, so I was thinking about school, and then I thought about Daisy, which probably knows this website... But I went through the Pokedex, thinking about her favorite pokemon, Darkrai and Lucario, and I got this:

Darkrai

Type: Dark (Obviously)
Ability: Bad Dreams (Kind of odd to be using that instead of "Nightmares.")
Height: 4'11" (...What?)
Weight: 111.3 lbs (He has weight?)

Lucario

Type: Fighting-Steel (Steel?)
Ability: Steadfast/Inner Focus (Hmm...)
Height: 3'11" (What?!)
Weight: 119.0 lbs (I'm still baffled...)

Well, take your time using a ruler of a tape measure to get it.

I got disturbed by the results.

I guess you think they're too small.

Darkrai's height is probably without the "extendo stilt-legs" included, so it'd actually be more like 6 feet (or even taller) if they were counted. And why wouldn't it weigh something? It's not even Ghost-type, and it is a solid creature after all, not a gaseous thing like Gastly or Haunter...

As for Lucario... it's a humanoid canine of some sort. So being around the size of a large dog isn't really weird at all. (And weighing 100+ while being only 3'11"... well, it's a fighting type. lots of muscle.)

They're called Pocket Monsters for a reason. The only truely giant ones are some legends, Onix and Steelix, Wailmer and Wailord, and I think Gyarados.

(And weighing 100+ while being only 3'11"... well, it's a fighting type. lots of muscle.)

Not to mention that Lucario is a dual Fighting & Steel type, and we all know that Steel is heavy.

Not to mention that Lucario is a dual Fighting & Steel type, and we all know that Steel is heavy.

Well, yeah... but Lucario's probably the least metallic-looking of all Steel-types, so I didn't mention that.

(Seriously, what part of Lucario is metal? Even the spikes are only a "maybe"--learning Bone Rush makes no sense unless those are made of bone... or you go with the anime's lame "magical energy bones" thing. Or I guess they could be both metal and bone, if they have a metal-coated skeleton or something like that.)

Lucario is probably 'steel' in a beyond-physical sense. It doesn't learn many Steel-type moves anyway (notably, it learns Flash Cannon), since the majority of them are physical and there's only one special one that's TM-accessible. Dwelling on the idea of what a Flash Cannon actually consists of, its secondary Steel typing probably has little to do with Lucario's anatomy, unless his fur was actually steel wool or something.

Lucario's spikes are probably hardened steel, not to mention its bones are probably bonded steel from its diet.

That accounts for half the weight, the other half would be the muscle needed to carry all that weight nimbly.

I've often thought about how the heights are a little wierd...I mean Salamence is only 4'11'' on all fours. I always thought it was much bigger...but I guess it doesn't really matter. The only time it bugs me is when using field moves. Can you imagine Flying on a Pidgey or Surfing on a Pikachu? Those little guys are strong!

One more weird height measure to add to the pile: Ekans is 6'6.7" tall. It's probably measured from an Ekans sitting straight rather than in its usual stance, but, come on, it's taller than a lot of people. Me, for example.

Hm, reminds me of the height thread I made, even though I didn't take weight into account.

Yup, lotsa Pokemon of odd heights out there. For example, Charizard is only as tall as Salamence, yet the Anime makes us think that Charizard's a giant.

Speaking of segregation between Pokémon heights in the anime and in the game.

The anime shows Torchic being small; the Pokédex's height comparison shows them ridiculously tiny.

That's length.

I always presumed that with legless Pokemon, they measured by length and put that as height.

What confuses me is that the anime gets sizes all wrong: Lucario is about as tall as a trainer in the anime, and that trainer is usually about 6 feet tall or more.

What confuses me is that the anime gets sizes all wrong: Lucario is about as tall as a trainer in the anime, and that trainer is usually about 6 feet tall or more.

I doubt any trainer in the anime is 6+ feet tall. Even the anime's Lt. Surge doesn't seem like he could be much more than 6 feet... it's just that Ash and co. are so damn short that the adults (and large Pokémon) all look huge in comparison.

Seriously, Ash is maybe two to four inches taller than a Charmeleon... and Charmeleons are only 3'07" if I remember right. The kid is short!

But yeah, the anime does tend to warp the sizes in really strange ways... usually to make the Pokémon look bigger it seems.

Back
Top Bottom