• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

DS decision

Recently, my DS Lite has been falling apart on me. The L and R buttons only work when I breathe into the cracks, and the A and down buttons are beginning to become annoying (I have to press them pretty hard in order to get some sort of decent response from them).

Right now, I'm considering getting a new DS just so that these issues can be resolved. Part of me just wants to get a used DS/Lite so that I can still have a GBA slot, another part of me just wants to get a DSi, and then yet another part of me thinks that it would just be better to wait until the 3DS comes out and buy that. On one hand, I have a fair amount of GBA games that I still play. On the other hand, it might be better to go with a DSi since it's supposed to be pretty good, I suppose. Or, I could just wait for the 3DS and get it. The 3DS will be able to play DS games, and I'm bound to get one eventually anyways.

But I'm also looking at money too. I don't have much money to go spending, so I'm trying to find cheap ways to go about this.

Basically I just need input and suggestions of what to do. And also what to do with my DS Lite.

whatever you do, don't get a DSi. it's got no backwards compatibility and the extra functions are shit.

get another DSlite for the GBA games. or, if like me you vastly prefer the design of the original DS, get that. also because it's ridiculously cheap now.

If it were me I'd look out a DS Lite, if you're still playing GBA games.

If cost weren't an issue I'd say you could go ahead and get a DSi, but yeah, it really isn't a life-changing upgrade. I like the physical design and the firmware a lot better, and the camera is nice to have sometimes, but the store sucks and all the other games/apps are kind of useless. The lack of backwards compatibility doesn't bother me because I'd rather use my micro for GBA games anyway.

I'd say if you're wanting to go for the cheapest option possible you should probably go for the used Lite. You could wait it out, I guess, but that's a long time without a DS D:!

I would suggest you get a DSi, but since you don't appear to have a GBA, then go ahead and get another Lite.

(also what the heck, DSi is pretty awesome gq. D: )

Yeah but for some of us, the extra features aren't enough to warrant spending an extra $20~$30 on.

Go for a Lite instead. Although regardless, you CAN still go and buy a GBA SP either way; they're only about $20 now. And they're aesthetically pleasing. Cheap, and aesthetically pleasing are two things you can never go wrong with :D

That aside, go for a Lite, or if you wanna save a bit of a money, a phat will do just fine; I've had my phat for 6 years, and they are just <3

Yeah but for some of us, the extra features aren't enough to warrant spending an extra $20~$30 on.

I got one even though I had a Lite. Guess I'm just a Nintenwhore. XD

The phats are cheaper, but after using a Lite for so long I wouldn't suggest getting one. They feel so clunky and heavy. Plus the Lite has lighter screens and a larger stylus.

I actually bought a GBA micro so I went for the DSi and its nice matte finish when my second Lite broke (both of my lites broke at the hinge where the lights are, the first one breaking off there entirely so you can see the little bulbs and the other loose enough to dangle open). But if you still play your GBA games and don't have a GBA, go for a Lite. It's worth it, with the problems your current one has.

When is the 3DS coming out anyway? Has there been any sort of ballpark release-time announced? Either way it would seem preposterous to me to wait for the next gen when you still have games you want to play and maybe haven't even beaten. I guess I'm spoiled that way though.

They feel so clunky and heavy.

That's the best part D:

Well, no not really, but at least I won't forget it's in my pocket or backpack and run the risk of breaking it. That's part of why I like the phat; you really have to try to break it.

The stylus thing is kinda moot, since if you're not lazy, you can carry around a Lite stylus and use it with your phat, or what have you.

Is it just me, or is the phat more durable than the lite? If anything, I think you should try for a phat--I've heard that the DSi isn't that great.

Nope, my brother's phat DS's screen snapped off the hinges like a Lite would. They're not really any stronger :S

Is it just me, or is the phat more durable than the lite? If anything, I think you should try for a phat--I've heard that the DSi isn't that great.

DSi has better screens, speakers, is slightly more powerful(though not by much), and the cameras. If it wasn't for the fact that Blaziking has GBA games to play, I would go with the DSi no questions asked.

@Alraunne: IIRC, sometime during the Spring? I think its gonna be either during or before March, anyways.

Get a DS phat. They're more durable. I've had tons of over-eager button pressing and my only button problem is that my R button is a bit sticky (thanks to playing Need for Speed Carbon on the default controls :P). The clunkiness feels good in your hands (at least for me) and scratches are almost unnoticeable. Really, I have some deep scratches in mine and you can only see them if you hold it up to the light.

I got a DSi to replace my Lite when it broke. I wouldn't have bothered normally, but I still have access to a second functional Lite and several other ways to play GBA games/dual slot so I figured it was worth a try. It's okay, but you're probably better off with a Lite/phat unless you still have a GBA or something. If you're going used you might be better off with a phat, as older model Lites all tend to have problems with the hinge area (that's what was wrong with the one I replaced; the other is newer and hasn't had a problem).

If you want cheap, go for a brick DS.

But there are a few other things going on here. I bought a new DS Lite when my old DS disappeared, as I quite like the DS Lite's design. But if you like the original design or are fine with either, then the big old one does the job just fine.

Now, if I weren't out to be cheap when I bought my DS Lite, I would've gone for the DSi. I have a working original GBA to play my old games with, and the DSi's features were interesting. Looking back on it, probably not worth it in my book, though.

Wiki says the 3DS will come out during the 2010 fiscal year, anytime between now and April 2011. I suggesting waiting if you want to go that way.

controversial as it may be, I'm gonna say that the phat is the nicest-looking DS model. DSi and DS lite look cheap and plasticky, whereas the phat has a nice metallic sheen. and tbh it's not even that big - I can easily fit it into a trouser pocket. it's also almost as cheap as a new console game. :)

Nope, my brother's phat DS's screen snapped off the hinges like a Lite would. They're not really any stronger :S

what

i had an accident while riding a bike. my dsphat flew out of my pocket and slammed into the post office building and landed on the sidewalk and slid a couple of feet. absolutely nothing was wrong with it except some of the paint being scraped off.

they can be very durable, even my ds lite as it is right now is still in (sorta) working order: L button is bipolar, flex cable issue which causes the top screen to white out at times, and a broken hinge. and i can still play it! ...somewhat normally.

although because of the state my ds lite is in, i am also debating about dses since i am gonna save up for the 3DS. i'm probably just gonna go for another ds lite since even though mine is broken, it has been broken for over a year and only recently started to have the top screen white out issue, and still manages to be playable. so i am in a similar situation, but i'm gonna go for a ds lite myself for the time being.

Pretty much, if you have a working GBA/SP/Micro, get a DSi. The extra features are worth the money. If you don't have a GBA, get a DS phat. Mine's gone through tons of abuse and it works better than my DSi, except for a sticky R button.

Back
Top Bottom