• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Greatest Fears/Phobias

Dar

oops, did it again
Pronoun
they
I'm sure there has been many threads like this, but I made a new one anyway. If you don't feel comfortable posting your fears, no one's forcing you.

My list of phobias:

Algophobia- the fear of pain.

I'm sure many people will disagree with me on this one.If I ever do something that could get me killed and fail, I'd rather end up dying than living with the pain.

Aichmophobia: the fear of sharp objects.

Goes along with my last one.

Acrophobia: the fear of heights.

Oddly enough, though, I'm not afraid of flying.

Don't know if there's a name for it, but I have a minor fear of being excluded.

I'm also a pitiful wuss when it comes to any sort of scary story.

Aichmophobia? Definitely. And also a little lygophobia for some reason (fear of the dark.)

I guess small spaces and heights are the things I usually think of? But I mean, I can't stand gore/scary things to the extent that that's pretty much a fear too, and probably worse.

I'm also probably more scared of falling down stairs more than the average person, which is kind of weird since it's never actually happened before and traumatised me, or anything!!

Also there are really annoying reccurring dreams about mouth horror, ugh. Usually just like a tooth randomly falling out? And it always feels really vivid and horrible and I just. hate teeth and mouths so much.

Oddly enough, though, I'm not afraid of flying.

Oh, no, I don't feel like it's weird at all. I mean my issue with heights is just like holy shit I could just... fall... and probably die!! and it'd be really painful and scary??? oh my god? what if I just randomly jumped off to see what would happen umm I could actually do that?? there's not even a railing here????????!?!d.al;; which isn't really present when you're in a plane and you're just too high up to actually think about suddenly falling. You're just too removed from the danger! Literally. By loads of metres.

Last edited:
I just want to mention that phobias aren't just things you're afraid of, they're pathological fears that you cannot control and cause things like shaking, vomiting, nausea, headaches, or much worse (heart attacks/seizures). Being afraid of something is not the same thing.

I have many, many fears, but only one real phobia, which is telephonophobia, which is reluctance or fear of making or taking phone calls, literally, "fear of telephone". There are other fears which might verge on phobias but I'd categorize that more as my general anxiety.

Insectophobia (fear of insects, obviously). Although technically speaking it's more like arthropodophobia, I guess. Also trypophobia (fear of creepy clustered holes), though it depends a lot on the context.

I have a phobia of crowds, and I also have severe stage fright.
And bullets. I hate bullets.

Spiders/insects and heights are the main ones I have. I've gotten much better around small spiders recently but if I ever see one beg enough that its body is visible from across the room (I'm sure those of you who live in big spider countries will probably consider such a spider small) I'll freak out and not be able to go back into the room until I'm convinced that it's gone.

There are a few things that only scare me if I think about them for too long. Like painful ways of dying, and the thought of nothing existing after death. Since I take way too long to get to sleep normally, I often do think about things like that and before I can stop myself I've scared myself into not being able to get to sleep at all that night.

>being stuck in large crowds (HAPPENED TO ME LIKE JUST OVER AN HOUR AGO)
>90% of social interaction
>big spiders. smaller ones don't bother me much now but the big ones can go fuck themselves
>being alone forever

I have a fear of abandonment, spiders, heights, deep water, and more intense fears of needles, giving speeches or presentations, and pain. None of them are quite phobias, though the more intense ones bring on uncontrollable shaking and sometimes crying (but ironically I really enjoy pain in very specific contexts *cough*) and I really wish I could do something about it because I feel like a total puss... Having my teeth worked on is absolute torture because I need needles in my fucking mouth and the pressure could unexpectedly become pain at any moment so I'm always struggling to not shake so much I make the dentist mess up, and he always teases me about it and I want to punch him and cry but it's not a very good idea when he's holding loud buzzing drills

Spiders are probably the only thing I am really, deeply terrified of, and even then I'm not sure I'd call it arachnophobia. Sometimes I can handle them just fine, but sometimes I... really, really can't. (I dislike arthropods in general. But insects I can just about deal with on my own.)

I used to have a fear of needles, but chronic ill health when I was younger led to lots of blood tests, which helpfully seem to have got rid of that. I think I handle needles a lot better than the average person nowadays.

Also trypophobia (fear of creepy clustered holes), though it depends a lot on the context.

Huh, I wouldn't call it a phobia, but I am definitely deeply unsettled by things like lotus seed heads. I had no idea there was a word for it.

Going to echo everyone here and say needles. The last time I had to get blood drawn I outright passed out as soon as I saw the damned syringe.

And psychological medication. I understand and respect that that stuff benefits a lot of people, but for me personally all the ones I've been put on have caused pretty severe medical complications (including almost dying in one case) that far outweigh the mental benefits. I wouldn't call it a phobia but I get a deep-running sense of dread every time someone suggests medication for my mood swings or attention problems.

I don't exactly have any phobias, I mean like I'm afraid of drowning but that's because I can't swim, so it's not really that unreasonable.
sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who's not afraid of spiders! I am usually the person picking up and taking spiders away from people who have found them and are curling into a ball of fear (which I'm happy to do; they're cute).

I've never had that much of a problem with needles. I generally always close my eyes or look away if I'm getting one, but that's more of a 'just in case' reaction to other people who grew up around me who had big problems with them.

they're cute
Then you must be one of them!

Huh, both needles and spiders don't bother me much. According to some quick google searching, they're in the top ten phobias, though.

Back
Top Bottom