• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

H. P. Lovecraft

Zuu

printf("%s\n", user_title);
So... any other fans of Lovecraft? :O I've started reading his short stories lately and I have outright fallen in love. I have read The Alchemist, The Beast in the Cave, The Call of Cthulhu, The Colour Out of Space, Cool Air, Pickman's Model, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and The Thing on the Doorstep. And I absolutely loved that last one. Aaaa.

So yes. Discuss the Great Old Ones, the Outer Gods, various insanity-inducing creations, and -- Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!

Last edited:
i so want to read "the call of cthulhu" but i have much more on my plate atm. the next time i go to the bookstore, though, i'll definitely pick up a short story comp.

Hum. What songs did Metallica write with Lovecraftian elements? :o

also, fc, good luck finding one? I've only found a few and I haven't found a single one with Call of Cthulhu in it. If you don't mind reading shit online you can go here. It has quite a few of his stories.

researched! the thing that should not be is another name for nyogtha, but after reading the lyrics i totally think it was talking about innsmouth and cthulhu because of "hybrid children watch the sea" but yeah.

oooh a few months ago I got an anthology of Lovecraft's best stuff. I found it kinda varied; there were some great stories like The Shadow over Innsmouth (which seriously needs to get properly made into a film or an OVA or something, 'coz all they've done so far have been loose adaptations involving vampires or some shit). On the other hand, there were other bits, particularly some of the shorter stories, where you just read them and felt unsatisfied.

But overall, he's a good author! Sure, there's allegations of racism and sexism, but who gives a crap.

I find that it's not so much the reading of the story itself that is satisfying but the reflection upon it afterward? If that makes sense.

Anyway, I do hear there is an At the Mountains of Madness movie in the works.

good luck finding one?

oh hey

i held this one in my hands before. i was going to buy it before i saw my gift card was $50 and not $150. (how i made this mistake i'll never know.)

but i might read one online. reading books in .txt is kind of cumbersome for me, though.. i'll still give it a shot.

"The Thing" is about Innsmouth.

Anyway, Lovecraft's a shite writer, but the themes and the story itself is bloody awesome. I just don't like his style.

I despised his style for a while but I've learned to love it. Each to his own, I suppose.

I've only read part of The Shadow Over Innsmouth but I plan on finishing it tomorrow. My adhd kinda gets in the way of reading too much.

I keep seeing collections of his work in bookshops and not knowing which to get. Should I just pick one randomly and hope for the best?

Ha, the only reason I know this guy existed was Metallica. "The Thing That Should Not Be" makes absolutely NO sense to me. I better get some reading done...

Back
Top Bottom