• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Health care.

Automata heart

a skirt full of scamper and a head full of vodka
Where i live, to get into hospital you have to be dying or have been on the waiting list (which, like in the case of my grandmother, can be up to 3 years) and then there is no garentee (pardon my spelling) you will ever be seen. but, and this is the bit i hate, if you play on one of our sports teams, you get seen straight away. these people do almost nothing for society, and yet, they get the slightest injurys attended to while people are dying because no one can see them. i know that in america there is a move to get free health-care to the masses (which i think is a wonderful idea.) but i want to know what health care is like all over the world. what are your veiws? your experiences?
thank you.
sakura.

I'm not very well-read on the subject, but all I've heard from the anti-universal health care side of the debate is that universal health care leads to long waiting lists and high taxes. But that's just one side.

I've just gotta say, I broke my leg last week (please feel free to pile on the sympathy), and after my lovely housemates took me to the hospital, I was seen within ten minutes of arriving, had a consultation, was sent off to be x-rayed, and ten minutes after that, had a nurse explaining the treatment options the kind of fracture I had, was put into plaster, lent a pair of crutches, and then given an appointment for the following week so they could check it was going okay (so far it is, although I very, very much miss proper showers).

All this without filling in a single form or paying a single penny. I really do adore the NHS.

To add, I have no health insurance, I haven't been to a doctor in three years. I can't afford it. I was in a car accident and went to urgent care, when they told me the co pay to get in was $200, I said forget it and walked out just as bloody as a I was when I went in. (my tongue was cut nearly in half and one half of my face was burned from the airbag and my back was hurting.) That was the co pay! To get seen the lady told me it would be up to $800 and that was if I didn't need anything.

Moved to Serious Business because this is probably really touchy and might get really for serious and stuff.

I've just gotta say, I broke my leg last week (please feel free to pile on the sympathy), and after my lovely housemates took me to the hospital, I was seen within ten minutes of arriving, had a consultation, was sent off to be x-rayed, and ten minutes after that, had a nurse explaining the treatment options the kind of fracture I had, was put into plaster, lent a pair of crutches, and then given an appointment for the following week so they could check it was going okay (so far it is, although I very, very much miss proper showers).

All this without filling in a single form or paying a single penny. I really do adore the NHS.

<3 [this is what I would have said but without the personal touch]

My familiy and I (as well as most of my people) have easy access to health insurance, and of course the taxes raise and sometimes we have to make small cuts in the budget, but nothing that hamper our lifestyles. I think that living knowing I'm assured if I have an accident or something unpredictable. Of course some people whine because they can buy that oh-so new and awesome microwave or something, but the higher prices of the taxes is NOTHING compared the life of even the poorest and less socially helpful misfortuned man.

Back
Top Bottom