• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How much would you recommend playing B/W before B2/W2

Murkrow

Says "also" and "or something" a lot
Pronoun
he
Okay so after Platinum came out I thought to myself "I'm going to wait for the third game next generation!"
So when everyone else was playing Black and White, I was patiently waiting for Gray/Rainbow/whatever to come out. Then Nintendo got sneaky :(

Now that they're out now, people can answer my questions! Are they a continuation of the storyline of the first ones, or can the new ones be easily be played on their own without spoiling the first?
(I would look this up, but I've learned my lesson about doing that since spoilers are often in places you don't expect)

I did the exact same thing >.< except I had not avoided any BW spoilers during the Japanese release, so I got White 2.

The games' plot is a direct continuation of BW's. You can play BW2 first and still fully enjoy the plot (since there's a new player character, NPCs will fill him/her in on the important stuff), but if you want to avoid spoilers play them in order.

Some events in BW2 depend on syncing with a completed BW1 file, but it's "fully playable" without. That said, unless you just want to have a gen 5 Pokémon game to play, I wouldn't play BW2 first.

BW1 has a better story, worse replayability.
BW2 has a meh story (like... akin to RBY), better replayability.

Last edited:
I can imagine it will still be a great game if you haven't played the first, but you'll find every so often a character referring to "that Trainer two years ago..." who is obviously thr B/W player so I would advise playing through B/W first

It depends how much time you have on your hands. I found B2/W2 more enjoyable than B/W, and you don't really need the first games to enjoy the second games. I would recommend just skipping to B2/W2, but if you want to get the full story, you should play the first games first.

They can't really be played without spoiling the first's story. BW2's mainly fun as 'the first game + old Pokemon' and if you haven't played a gen V game before, it might be more fun having the game force you to use only the new generation!

Playing Black and White isn't really necessary, although it having a sequel has opened up a new infinity. The games have a great fanbase around them. Cilan, Chili, Cress... all that good stuff. The games have a really good character thing going on this time. I really wish they would make a third, but it's confirmed that's not happening.

But to answer your question, I would not say it is necessary to play the prequel first, but it does help.

As long as you know the plot of the first games, you can memory link and get pretty much everything. But if you don't already know Black and White I'd suggest play them first.

I never even bothered to memory link and I'm having fun enough. I'm imagining it's just a minimal bonus!

also: ROXIE IS GREAT, Marlon is kinda weird.
but Iris being *even* *more* *badass* this time around, idk, it would be kind of enough to sway my decision...

Get BW before BW2, that way when you play BW2 you'll better understand the back story to the current state of the world.

Back
Top Bottom