• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Lucas vs. Whirlpool

Lord of the Fireflies

Back in black.
3v3 single
Style: Set
DQ: 5 days (120 hours)
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, direct healing
Rules: Only basic pokemon. (Meaning none that don't evolve as well.)
Arena: A FIELD.
Yeah, it's a field. There's... grass. And hills. And... a stream in the middle. That's about it.

Whirlpool's NFE Squad

shellos.png

Shelly the Female Shellos
Ability: Sticky Hold
Item: Water Stone
Body Mod: Of the Sea
Description: Shellos and Gastrodon are naturally suited to the mud and the beach, where the earth and water meet; Pastoria and Sunyshore's seashores are home to many of the slugs. Shelly, though, has always felt more comfortable in the fluid, changing ocean altogether than the solid ground. Even as a child, she had played with Mantyke, Finneon, and even the occasional Vaporeon that swam by, instead of with Buizel and other Shellos.
As she got older, she almost lived in the sea, and many of the Pokémon were friendly; they taught her techniques unknown to Shellos. Of course, she had to keep up with them, and eventually, after much practice, she learned how to be as smooth as them in the water. Shelly has lost much of her familiarity with the land now, however.
Effects: Shelly gains the ability Swift Swim, but starts off at -1 Speed when she is on land. She also gains the following move alterations:
+ Aqua Jet, Aqua Ring, Waterfall, Acid Armor, Hydro Pump
- Mud Bomb, Earth Power, Fissure, Mud Sport, Mud Slap

gastly.png

Wisp the Male Gastly
Ability: Levitate

minccino.png

Mink the Female Minccino
Ability: Skill Link
Item: Moon Stone

klink.png

Whirr the Unknown Klink
Ability: Plus

deino.png

Hydra the Male Deino
Ability: Hustle

larvesta.png

Firelily the Female Larvesta
Ability: Flame Body
Item: Shiny Stone

trapinch.png

Groundfly the Male Trapinch
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Item: Shell Bell

joltik.png

Internet the Female Joltik
Ability: Compoundeyes

Lucas₇₅₅'s NFE Squad

tirtouga.png

Tirtouga the Female Tirtouga
Ability: Solid Rock
Item: Lucky Egg

cottonee.png

Cottonee the Female Cottonee
Ability: Prankster
Item: Life Orb

lillipup.png

Lillipup the Female Lillipup
Ability: Vital Spirit
Item: Expert Belt

ferroseed.png

Ferroseed the Male Ferroseed
Ability: Iron Barbs
Item: Rocky Helmet

-----

As I will do with all the battles I will ref, i'm asking you if you'd prefer to send out the first battler via PM or prefer the old style. If you prefer the old style, then Whirlpool sends out first.

(I think using the PM method is more fair but you are up to decide)

Uh, I'll send out by post (ASB isn't supposed to be fair, what with RNG god madness and post order that most everybody does; it's supposed to be unfair in alternating patterns).

But should we wait for Lucas?

Yeah, sending out by post is fine. I'll send out Lillipup.

Start with thee Rock Smashes. If they protect, use Work Up instead. If they try to put you to sleep, Protect against it, but not twice in a row.

Rock Smash/Work Up/Protect x3

...you saw Wake-Up Slap? D: No matter, though.

Work Up ~ Tail Slap (x2)

Yay for Skill Link! And Moon Stones!

3v3 single
Yeah, it's a field. There's... grass. And hills. And... a stream in the middle. That's about it.

Wow, that is one hell of a description. Fortunately, A Field (a small community on the coast of England) was on Google Maps, so the path to take wasn’t so confusing for Lord of the Fireflies, although it took hours, because you know, the League was out of flying pokes with the arrival of several new refs, and Negrek and Kratos Aurion were too busy tweaking around the system and being scary to catch some, so he had to use his own pokes. And a surfing Corsola isn’t he fastest vehicle around.

Anyways, he finally made his way to A Field, where Lucas and Whirlpool were waiting, sharing the last news. Lord of the Fireflies came to them running, and stuttered some lame excuses before allowing them to take their place on the battlefield. Whirlpool started the match by hurling a Poké Ball to the middle of the field, sending out a small white rodent-like Pokémon. To that, Lucas replied by sending out a hairy faced terrier dog.

Without further waiting, Lord of the Fireflies waved his flag to open the match.

Team Whirlpool
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

minccino.png

Mink – female
<Skill Link>
Held Item: Moon Stone
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Team Lucas
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

lillipup.png

Lillipup – female
<Vital Spirit>
Held Item: Expert Belt
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Round I

Mink wants to start the match by leaving a good impression on her opponent, and what is best for that than showing some muscles? The rodent begins to flex and lift some rocks thereabout, leaving her with a more lively body and sharpened spirit. Her opponent, however, is not impressed at all, and proceeds to ram in Mink with her full body, sending her flying. The Minccino, though, succeeds at guarding her weak parts, and quickly recovers.

Simply looking awesome doesn’t seem to be enough she thinks. Time to deal some damage! Mink runs at her opponent before jumping and striking Lillipup with multiple blows from her tail. Her excellent technique allows her to hit her opponent five times before landing. Lillipup, left dizzy by the powered-up attack, blinks. She certainly won’t let that stinky rat take her down! Seeking revenge, she hurls herself at Mink, which again somehow protects from the attack, nullifying its defence-lowering capacities.

The Minccino could tell her attack did a good number on Lillipup simply by looking at her. A second one could just worsen her state. She again runs to the canine and jumps, however by the time she got to Lillipup, she had taken a few steps right, enough to dodge the tail. Before Mink can even land, she is violently tackled by the furious dog and propelled trough air. Even if her opponent’s Expert Belt powered up the attack, she again had the time to cover her aimed weak spots. Mink slowly gets up again and grins.

Round I End

Team Whirlpool
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

minccino.png

Mink – female
<Skill Link>
Health: 82%
Energy: 83%

Team Lucas
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

lillipup.png

Lillipup – female
<Vital Spirit>
Energy: 82%
Status:”Take that!” Impressed by her opponent’s ability to guard herself.

Damage and Energy Calculations:

Work Up – 1% energy
Rock Smash – 6% damage, 6% energy
Tail Slap – 18% damage, 8% energy
Tail Slap – 8% energy (missed)

Notes

- I calculated Tail Slap’s damage output as though it was a single-hit base 125 attack, as multi-hit attacks with power boosts are hard to calculate (each hit had a 6% damage output). If any of you have a problem with that, just tell me and I’ll do my best to calculate it as normal.
- None of the Rock Smashes lowered Mink’s defence (I swear).
- The second Tail Slap missed.
- I don’t know if STAB and Moon Stone affects non-damaging moves’ energy cost, so the energy cost might be 2% or 1%, I don’t know. Hints?
- Its harder to find pronouns for unnamed Pokémon. (Lucas I’m so not looking at you)
- Not proofread. Enjoy.

Arena Notes:

- Nothing unusual

Next Round:

- Whirlpool attacks
- Lucas attacks
- I hopefully ref

Last edited:
Yeah, STAB and Moon Stone affect those calculations. Wait, does the Moon Stone bonus go for every hit, or just one?

Also, Tail Slap and similar moves have a crit chance every hit. Not sure if you accounted for that.

Well, that was anticlimatic. Minccino should get Arm Thrust or something. D: Lillipup doesn't get Taunt, though, so Work Up all the way. Tail Slap (oh my god is that like 20% for one move) for some damage. Hyper Voice will do enough extra damage to hit the cap afterwards, so it's all good. If he Protects the second or third action, another Work Up is in due order, I think, and move Tail Slap to the third, if applicable. If he tries to status you on the first or second action (not including confusion, attraction, etc.), just Facade and continue with Tail Slap the next action.

Work Up/Facade ~ Tail Slap/Work Up/Facade ~ Hyper Voice/Work Up/Tail Slap

Last edited:
Okay, so now what I will do is calculating the damage out put for each hit, then apply the damage modifiers (boosts and Moon Stone) for the cumulated damage.

I recalculated Tail Slap, and the method doesn't change the damage output, however it changes the critical hit system. None of the five Tail Slaps resulted in a critical hit that time.

Last edited:
Let's quit the facade (boy, am I clever) and status them. Start with Yawn, then use Toxic. End it with Crunch, and watch that end up lowering her defense.

Yawn ~ Toxic ~ Crunch

3v3 single

Team Whirlpool
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

minccino.png

Mink – female
<Skill Link>
Energy: 83%
Status: “Hey, it hurts!” Annoyed by her inaccurate attack. (+1 Attack, +1 Special Attack)

Team Lucas
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

lillipup.png

Lillipup – female
<Vital Spirit>
Energy: 82%
Status:”Take that!” Impressed by her opponent’s ability to guard herself.

Round II Start

Mink can’t help but liking to show off her big muscles. She trains a bit more, just to be sure to make her opponent jealous, lifting rocks and branches and stretching. The effects are again very invigorating. Lillipup, though, seems to focus on an entirely different thing than Mink’s sexy body. She gathers energy from inside her and lets out an incredible yawn that the Minccino hears clearly. The energy inside the sound seeps in Mink’s auditory nerves to her brain, making her feel quite drowsy.

She walks clumsily to Lillipup, who is curiously looking at her laborious march. Mink can’t afford to be so slow, so she violently shakes her head in a vain attempt at clearing her thoughts, and rushes to Lillipup, delivering five direct hits at the unsuspecting puppy. She quickly reacts by vomiting venomous fluids on Mink before she can escape, corrupting her blood and causing her to shriek painfully. After a few seconds of panting, the Mincinno is unable to hold herself and heavily falls on the ground, deeply asleep.

Lillipup can’t help but enjoy the sight of her helpless opponent, and after engulfing her dentition with dark energy, powerfully bites Mink to the side. She mutters in her sleep, but not much more.

Round II End

Team Whirlpool
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

minccino.png

Mink – female
<Skill Link>
Health: 74%
Energy: 72%
Status: “ZzZzZzZ” Asleep. (+2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, Asleep: 3 more actions, Toxic poisoned: 1% this round, 2% next)

Team Lucas
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

lillipup.png

Lillipup – female
<Vital Spirit>
Health: 62%
Energy: 60%
Status:”That tail packs quite a punch, actually.” Impressed by her opponent’s ability to hit things with her tail.

Damage and Energy Calculations

Work Up – 1% energy
Yawn – 6% energy
Tail Slap – 20% damage, 10% energy
Toxic – 7% energy
[asleep]
Crunch – 7% damage, 9% energy

Notes:

- No critical hit with Tail Slap.
- All moves hit.
- Crunch did not lower Mink’s defence.

Arena Notes:

- Everything looks normal.

Next Round:

- Lucas orders first.

Last edited:
...do conditionals work on commands or actions? There's a small but important difference; if actions, then you did it right (I think). If commands, then Mink was supposed to use Facade the first action.

More STATUS. YEEEAAAH. Start with Thunder Wave, then make a 10% substitute and use Double Team.

Thunder Wave ~ Substitute (10%) ~ Double Team

3v3 single

Team Whirlpool
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

minccino.png

Mink – female
<Skill Link>
Health: 74%
Energy: 72%
Status: “ZzZzZzZ” Asleep. (+2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, Asleep: 3 more actions, Toxic poisoned: 2% this round, 3% next)

Team Lucas
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

lillipup.png

Lillipup – female
<Vital Spirit>
Health: 62%
Energy: 60%
Status:”That tail packs quite a punch, actually.” Impressed by her opponent’s ability to hit things with her tail.

Round III Start

At the very beginning of the round, Mink suddenly gets straight up, eyes still closed, and starts gathering energy from her inside, the releases it in the form of a powerful energy wave. It sweeps the area, gathering leaves and petals around it and gaining a bright green color, then crashes into Lillipup. The Pokémon barks angrily in total incomprehension. “How could she move while sleeping? AAAARGH I HATE MICE.” The Pokémon retaliates by generating a small shockwave that hits Mink, crippling her nervous system. She reacts by simply letting out a loud snore.

The paralyzed Minccino can’t go first this time and Lillipup knows she has to abuse the small time lap she has to go first. She starts digging through the fresh soil, accumulating enough to make a small heap. She starts molding it to make it have the vague form of a puppy, and then transfers some of her own life energy into it. The result is a near-perfect replica of herself, excepting the fact that… it doesn’t move. Mink once again gets up and runs aimlessly to Lillipup, which hides behind her creation. The rodent hits it lightly; creating a small crack on the doll’s head, but no more.

Knowing herself safe behind her substitute, Lillipup starts running around in circles at surprisingly high speed. Mink, of course, doesn’t notice, but soon she is encircled by four identical Lillipup, each of them protected by a clay figurine. To that, the aimless Minccino replicates by starting to cry in a very, I mean very high-pitched sound, so amazingly powerful that it shatters all of Lillipup’s efforts. The substitutes break apart and the illusions fade away, leaving the popeyed puppy without any protection.

Mink finally wakes up to much amazement, confused about what she just had done.

Round III End

Team Whirlpool
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

minccino.png

Mink – female
<Skill Link>
Health: 72%
Energy: 54%
Status: “Huh?” Awaken. (+2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, Toxic poisoned: 2% this round, 3% next, Paralyzed, Moderate: Speed halved, 25% chance of full paralysis)

Team Lucas
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

lillipup.png

Lillipup – female
<Vital Spirit>
Health: 41%
Energy: 41%

Sleep Talk (Hidden Power Grass) – 11% damage, 8% energy
Thunder Wave – 5% energy
Substitute – 10% health, 5% energy
Sleep Talk (Frustration) – 6% damage, 4% energy
Double Team – 3 clones, 9% energy
Sleep Talk (Round) – 12% damage, 6% energy

Notes:

- I wasn’t sure how to ref the combination of Double Team and Substitute, so if I did it wrong feel free to tell.
- Round is a widespread attack (since it is noise), and it was powerful enough to finish breaking the substitute.
- Since Frustration was used when Mink was asleep, and after a pretty good round or her, she wasn’t angry at all. The base power was 20.

Arena Notes:

- There is small hole in the ground from Lillipup’s substitute.

Next Round:

- Whirlpool orders first.

Last edited:
Guess I can't complain about that. (Work Up is now my favorite move. :D) But, let's Substitute (10%), then Tail Slap, and Facade. If he protects the second or third actions, Chill; if he tries to use Yawn again the first action, Protect and move everything down an action.

Substitute (10%)/Protect ~ Tail Slap/Chill/Substitute (10%) ~ Facade/Chill/Tail Slap

Bwahahahahaha. I hope you guys like doing NOTHING. (but substitute)

Yawn ~ Yawn ~ Charm

Put as little effort and energy as possible into the first action, while still activating his protect; that action won't do anything anyway.

3v3 single

Team Whirlpool
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

minccino.png

Mink – female
<Skill Link>
Health: 72%
Energy: 54%
Status: “Huh?” Awaken. (+2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, Toxic poisoned: 3% this round, 4% next, Paralyzed, Moderate: Speed halved, 25% chance of full paralysis)

Team Lucas
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

lillipup.png

Lillipup – female
<Vital Spirit>
Health: 41%
Energy: 41%

Round IV Start

Lillipup starts the round by trying to mimic her now infamous yawn, without putting to much energy into it. Mink, completely falling in her foe’s game, quickly summons a green energy shield, for protection. Lillipup grins in contentment, and thinks in a flash about becoming an actor sometime.

But it is not the time to think about the future, and Lillipup knows it. She gives a fierce glaze to Mink, and lets out another nice big yawn, this time filled with sleepy powers. The poor Minccino absorbs all of it and suddenly feels drowsy again, as she was to fall over at any minute. She tries to concentrate to use the same move as her opponent. She begins digging in the soft soil, building it up and molding it into a vague Minccino-esque shape, and then transfers some of her life energy into it. The golem suddenly wakes up and stretches, ready to protect her creator at any cost.

Lillipup thinks about her next order. “Charm? You want me to charm that pesky rat?” But orders are orders, and she begins to tell loving words to Mink, hoping to reduce her fierceness a bit. But before Lillipup can even get into the real part of the subject, Mink’s substitute begins to yap and chatter loudly; entirely covering the terrier dog’s words. The Minccino, however, is far drowsier than her decoy, and it is with immense effort that she runs to Lillipup, smacking her face powerfully with her tail, five times. After that, though, she feels like she can’t stand up anymore, and heavily falls. As if it wasn’t enough, the poison continues to take its toll, slowly chipping away the unaware Minccino’s health.

Round IV End

Team Whirlpool
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

minccino.png

Mink – female
<Skill Link>
Health: 59%
Energy: 37%
Status: “ZzZzZzZ” Once again in a deep slumber. (+2 Attack, +2 Special Attack, Toxic poisoned: 3% this round, 4% next, Paralyzed, Moderate: Speed halved, 25% chance of full paralysis, Asleep: One more round)
572.png
: 10% health.

Team Lucas
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

lillipup.png

Lillipup – female
<Vital Spirit>
Health: 21%
Energy: 26%
Status:”Won’t you shut up damn puppet!”Battered and bruised; slowly losing hope.

Protect – 4% energy
Yawn – 4% energy
Yawn – 6% energy
Substitute – 10% health, 4% energy
Tail Slap – 20% damage, 9% energy
Charm – 4% energy [failed]

Notes:

- God, Tail Slap deals huge damage (without even a crit yet)
- Mink fell asleep at the end of the third action since the A&A Guide states that Yawn’s effect activates at the end of the action following the use of the move.

Arena Notes:

- There is small hole in the ground from Lillipup’s substitute.
- There is a second small hole in the ground form Mink’s substitute.

Next Round:

- Lucas orders first.

Back
Top Bottom