• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2010

Yes there's still about two whole months left until it starts but its never too early to start thinking about it!

To the people who read this and are thinking "what the hell is a nanowrimo?": NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) takes place in November of every year. In that 30 day period, you are challenged to write a 50,000 word novel, which boils down to writing about 1667 words a day for 30 days. If you enjoy writing, it is insanely fun (even though I've never managed to surpass 10,000 words). If this paragraph got you slightly interested in what I was talking about, the website is here and can give more information.

Formalities aside, I actually plan on getting to 50,000 this year. Granted, that's what I said the last two times that I've participated, but this time I mean it. (I also said that last year but I'm one year wiser now and this time I mean it). The only issue is that I can't decide on what I'm going to write about. I want to know soon so I can start outline it, but I'm stuck on choosing between three ideas.

1. A time travel story that deals with the world being destroyed, and bringing four people from different time frames to medieval times where they try and figure out whats going on and stuff.
2. A Pokemon fanfic in a unique region where the government is draining the souls from Pokemon in order to get energy. The soulless Pokemon become a regular animal/object once their souls are drained (Chimecho becomes a chime, Nidoran becomes a rabbit, etc.)
3. A story involving multiple wrongly and not so wrongly accused criminals getting out of jail and being told about a prophecy that involves them taking down a tyrannical government.

I'm thinking the third because its slightly more developed, but the other two are oh so appealing.

SO. What are you doing for NaNoWriMo/what are you thinking of doing/are you doing NaNoWriMo/why on earth aren't you doing NaNoWriMo/etc. Cue discussions!

TCoD's NaNoWriMo Word War 2010

Team A
(Kratos Aurion, Teh Ebil Snorlax, Jessie, Chaon, SkyAngel, Zora of Termina, Flora, EvilCrazyMonkey, James, MidnightSaboteur)

200427-695678-401221-609905-684445.png

569534-650787-504741-128131-757843.png

Total Word Count: 44358 (Nov 6)
Average Word Count: 4928 (Nov 6)

Team B
(Blaziking, Mewtwo, Negrek, Diz, Stormecho, Vladimir Putin's LJ, Kinova, Crazy Linoone, Zeta Reticuli)

403563-647186-403830-519853-551224.png

406509-230899-722258-726227.png

Total Word Count: 65125 (Nov 6)
Average Word Count: 7236 (Nov 6)

Team C
(Psymon, Blazie, Phantom, moon-panther, Cirrus, Leafpool, Ketsu, Arylett Dawnsborough, Harlequin, Mercy)

695017-510820-583678-608508-508507.png

402792-701383-567311-125385-751944.png

Total Word Count: 56906 (Nov 6)
Average Word Count: 6322 (Nov 6)

Last edited by a moderator:
bahaha I was actually going to post this thread earlier today but... didn't.

anyway I'm already starting planning for my NaNo this year. I have a character list and some basic plot points which will probably become more developed before NaNo actually rolls around.

Oh God, is it really that time of year again already? >_<

I'll be doing this again, of course. Not sure whether I'm going to write one of two origfic ideas or go back and try to finish my NaNo from two years ago, which I have been randomly opening up and banging a page out on from time to time. But it's really JUST TOO EARLY for me to be thinking about this, what with everything I have to get done in October.

I have two or three ideas, really:

the first is a light-hearted little thing about a bunch of friend/self Expies who get SUPERPOWERS and have to fight the dreaded Ant-Man. (inspired by my friend getting very bored in science class)

the second is this much more serious story about the same Expies (sans superpowers) and is actually quite depressing.

and the third is my novel idea.

probably gonna do the first since i was planning on posting the second story here anyway. the third will probably be written when i'm older.

I would like to participate again this year. It will probably be my busiest November yet, but I always write more when I'm busy anyway, so... we'll see. Maybe I won't get a lot done, but I won't use "I'm busy" as an excuse.

The only problem is that I don't know what I want to write. At the moment, I'm working on two stories that I've invested quite a lot of thought and a fair bit of writing to; I would really like to finish one or both of these, or at least get more done with them, before I start something else new. So what I might do is make my goal 50,000 words of one of these stories.

Of course, I said that last year too and I ended up starting something new. We'll see what I feel like writing when November rolls around.

Last year ended in failure. I wrote ~4000 words. But this year I've learned how to force myself to write so I'm gunning for at least 25,000 words. Of course, I won't stop if I get there, but right now a goal higher than that would intimidate me. And even though you're supposed to start a new story, I have very few ideas and will likely be continuing my PMD2 fic because otherwise it takes months to get out a single chapter. =/

I'm doing it! And because I did a novel idea last year, my second year will be either total winging it to see what insanity I can come up with, some sort of fanfiction, or an extended, somewhat falsified dream diary thing.

I'm going to try it by picking up Waiting in Earth again, but I doubt I'm going to get past 10,000 words.

Not doing this is an option for me? Crazy.

Yeah, I'm doing it again. I'd really like to try origfic this year, but I know for a fact that I don't have any ideas that will work at this point--all of my plans for original fiction are either short stories (mmfrgl must finish that one by Halloween this time for reals also so it is out of my way for NaNo) or this big fantasy worldbuilding thing that is... worldbuilding, not a story. I'd like to write stories set there eventually, but it's nowhere near ready for that.

Problem is, I'm not sure I have any fanfic ideas that are quite ready now, either. Most complete idea I can think of is that crazy legendary trainer fic I mentioned last year and still haven't started; there are a few others (including the origfic I was originally going to do for my first NaNo in 2007 but never even wrote a word of before changing tack, now I think about it), but... mm. I guess I'll half-heartedly commit to Oh, How the Mighty Have Fallen for now unless some other idea magics itself into something serviceable before November.

(does this thread get posted earlier and earlier each year?)

I've never actually written anything longer than maybe five pages, but this year I'm going to change that. >:C

My ideas are not really mine, but I think they make very good writing material.

The first one is my brother's idea. It's about a high school for SUPERHEROS.

The more original one is actually a concept my friend and I were going to use to make a comic about a year ago. It's about NINJA VAMPIRE PIRATES with SUPERPOWERS. I has originality.

I'm probably going to use the second one, since I already have the plot and characters ready, but the first one would be easier, but the second one sounds funner, but the first one

This usually happens when I try to decide on what to write, which usually leads me to just not write anything. :/

Last edited:
Haha, I did this completely on a sugar high-induced whim last year and it was SO FUN. And I was mostly winging it, too. AND IT FELT SO GOOD.

So hell yeah I'm doing it again. I just don't know what the plot's gonna be.

I didn't do it last year, but I might this year. Even if I'm only 'pretending' and actually just writing a huge amount of oneshots. :P

2008 I got ~13000 words! I hope I can beat my record.

All of my plans for original fiction are ... this big fantasy worldbuilding thing that is... worldbuilding, not a story. I'd like to write stories set there eventually, but it's nowhere near ready for that.

The same is the case with me, although I might try to participate this year anyway. I've been meaning to the past few times, but never got round to it.

So yeah, I may end up at least starting something this year, in the event that the dreaded sixth form doesn't eradicate the possibility.

I'm actually more into writing this year, and since I want to be a writer when I grow up, count me in.

Plus, this will be motivation to continue making the plot points etc of a story I want to write.

A Pokemon trainerfic centering on Remus, the champion of the Pokemon league, and his downward spiral into drugs and despair when he loses his title.

NIN's The Downward Spiral with Pokemon, basically.

Let's see if I can get off my butt and finish typing that Element story. On paper, it's 20.5 chapters so far. On Word, it's about 1.

Totally going to do this, if my school stuff doesn't get in the way.

No idea for a plot though, so I think I'm going to completely wing it this year. =D

I may cheat a little and rewrite Scyther's Story. The problem is that I wrote the original for NaNoWriMo 2006, and as it turned out, it was only material enough for 30,000 words; I somehow doubt I'm going to add two thirds to it in a rewrite. On the plus side, however, that's something where I definitely know what's going to happen, so the actual writing part is really what's standing in my way; last year I was trying to do an original novel and I just didn't have it planned out well enough to be able to just write.

To solve the it's-too-short problem, I could simply also add the goal of revising The Fall of a Leader, which would probably not involve a lot of rewriting from scratch but could still use considerable refinement. This has the advantage of allowing me to modify the actual worldbuilding and releasing the new versions simultaneously, as opposed to having them contradict one another while I get around to revising the other accordingly.

Naturally, it's a bit hard to keep a word count on revision, so if I do that I'll just stop counting words. I've already legitimately won NaNo once, anyway, so getting the word count isn't that important to me.

Back
Top Bottom