• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Need Help: Canon vs Original Stuff

Eloi

I got alot of problems with a fan fic I'm writing. I got most of the characters and main plot elements down, but things like plot structure and setting are eluding me:
I'm not sure whether to make it in the guise of a trainer fic, or more of an international mystery. I'm not sure if I'm confident enough in my plotting skills to be able to hold an interesting international mystery story, so I'd have to do something more straightforward. Perhaps it could be a one region mystery with the plot structure of a Trainer fic?
And if I do make it a trainer fic, should I make a new region? Is there any guidelines to that or advice for region creation? Do I have to make new Pokemon? (I'm very bad at making original Pokemon) I very much need help in the dos and don'ts of region creation if thats possible. :unsure:
My principal character for this story is an agent for the International Police who is participating undercover in the Pokemon League as a trainer, investigating an odd virus thats putting Pokemon in comas, a series of seemingly unrelated crimes, and groups of strangely overpowered Pokemon showing up all over the Nation/region and who's behind it all. (By the way, my plot outline is not this vague, I'm being vague so as not to spoil the story if I do pen it.)
I was wondering whether it would be more effective make the whole incident in a self-contained (perhaps new) region or spread it out across the whole Pokemon nation. One region would make the trainer fic aspect easier I believe, but a multi-region trek could be interesting.
Please help me if you can, it would be much appreciated.

Hm... considering what this would wind up being, most likely, I would suggest taking this approach: a single region, original or not it matters not, with a character from a different region being sent there to investigate whether or not this virus is a biological weapon being deployed on the regions. So, multiregional symptoms, which is what is most likely to occur in the first place, while you are only focusing on one region, which you can make as geographically correct as you can think of.

But hey, this is from a guy who write for fun, then winds up shredding his/her stuff when they read it a week later for grammar. Because it sucks. Badly. I'd be happy to beta your stuff, though, if you'd be so kind as to send it to me.

Hm... considering what this would wind up being, most likely, I would suggest taking this approach: a single region, original or not it matters not, with a character from a different region being sent there to investigate whether or not this virus is a biological weapon being deployed on the regions. So, multiregional symptoms, which is what is most likely to occur in the first place, while you are only focusing on one region, which you can make as geographically correct as you can think of.
Great idea! I'll do just that. Also in the mean time of my post and yours I created a region, because if I am the one creating the region I can manipulate it for my own plot-based purpose, I might go with an old one but that remains to be seen. But the foreign character (from regions we know) would not only be interesting, it would be good for exposition because they would be as clueless as the reader is to non-previously introduced elements. Thanks alot for the ideas!
But hey, this is from a guy who write for fun, then winds up shredding his/her stuff when they read it a week later for grammar. Because it sucks. Badly. I'd be happy to beta your stuff, though, if you'd be so kind as to send it to me.
Heh I do that time to time. Well I'm going to snap up your offer as beta reader, and I give you much in the way of gratitude for your volunteering. I'll PM a few chapters once I type it up. Its mostly written on "dead trees" at the moment, so um... expect it a little later. Thanks again, you're awesome! :D

Can I be the delta reader or something?

Idea: Conflict between the main character and the local Officer Jenny.
Sure ya can. I feel kinda bad tho', I don't really have that much written just aprox. 20 pages of background, story, and character information, so again you might be waiting a bit before reading anything.
Also I like that idea! *steals and writes down* Thanks. ^_^

One question: How can you steal an idea that is being freely given?

Eh, I'm just pulling your chain. Can't wait for the first chapter.

Got it. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I just got back online. Ty. I'll send it back with corrections once I'm done.

Yay! Thank you so, so, so much! Also if you have any ideas on stuff or any questions or anything I'm more than happy to oblige. ^_^

Back
Top Bottom