• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Noctowl vs Ether's Bane

1. Luftballon

Banned
Pronoun
it
[size=+2]Noctowl vs Ether's Bane[/size]

Well, I will make a short and sweet one, just to get the ball rolling.

Format: 1v1 Singles
Style: Set
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Rest
Arena Description: A small forest, with a few ogres sleeping in some camps in little alcoves in the forest. They will tend to leave pokemon alone, unless directly attacked, then they will do 5% damage to the nearest pokemon and go back to sleep.

Noctowl's active squad

woobat Muffin the male Woobat <Unaware>
sandile Snap the female Sandile <Moxie> @ Lucky Egg
ralts Dementia the female Ralts <Synchronize>
gastly Spectre the female Gastly <Levitate>
pichu Sonichu the male Pichu <Static> @ Soothe Bell
lotad Happy the female Lotad <Rain Dish>
rattata TOPPERCENTAGE the male Rattata <Guts> @ Dread Plate
buizel Miles 'Tails' Prower the male Buizel <Swift Swim>
cubone Achilles the male Cubone <Rock Head>
goomy Lord Maximus the male Goomy <Hydration>

Ether's Bane's active squad

skarmory Milenko the male Skarmory <Sturdy>
miltank Cyrix the female Miltank <Scrappy> @ Leftovers
cryogonal Frost the genderless Cryogonal <Levitate>
durant Gulch the male Durant <Swarm>
drilbur Rift the female Drilbur <Sand Rush>
klefki Kallamehr the male Klefki <Prankster>

order: Ether's Bane sends, Noctowl sends and commands, Ether's Bane commands.

Ah, I did not spot this. Oh well.

Let's go Snap!

Now, this is gonna be tricky. You will probably get hit by a status condition at first. I guess we are gonna have to work around that. Start with taunt, next, give them two mud slaps.

Taunt~Mud slap~Mud slap

Taunt will really throw the plan out of the window, so avert that with Protect. Since Mud-Slap is coming, use Magnet Rise to block them. Finally, land the first decisive blow of this battle with Play Rough.

Protect ~ Magnet Rise ~ Play Rough

Noctowl

[Snap] sandile (f) <Moxie> @ Lucky Egg
Health 100%, Energy 100%.
Condition: yummies!
Commands: Taunt ~ Mud-Slap ~ Mud-Slap

Effercon

[Kallamehr] klefki (m) <Prankster>
Health 100%, Energy 100%.
Condition: tinkling.
Commands: Protect ~ Magnet Rise ~ Play Rough

Round 1

A quiet forest, this, where our contestants have arrived to do battle! Ah, but ogres sleep nearby—but for now, they remain sleeping.

The two trainers send out an animated keyring and a dusty crocodile and give their orders. The referee motions for the round to begin, and it begins—with aspersions cast by the sandile upon to the klefki’s immediate ancestry. Ah, but the klefki isn’t listening; indeed, the sandile’s insults aren’t even reaching it, blocked by a transparent, almost invisible barrier it had surreptitiously set up before the sandile had even begun.

Giving it up, the sandile now began digging into the ground to sling mud at its opponent in a more literal sense—but too late, it didn’t even reach the klefki as it fell back to the ground against a mysteriously resistive magnetic force which had been Already Prepared.

While the sandile gathered up more mud for a second shot, the klefki suddenly charged in its general direction … but, quite embarrassingly, not its specific direction. Neither of the two’s attacks hit their marks that time.

Noctowl

Health 100%, Energy 94%.
Condition: yummy didn’t come?
Executed: Taunt ~ Mud-Slap ~ Mud-Slap

Effercon

Health 100%, Energy 89%, magnet rise (3 more actions).
Condition: clinking.
Executed: Protect ~ Magnet Rise ~ Play Rough (miss)

Notes
  • order: klefki (75), sandile (65)
  • play rough on action 3 missed
  • Effercon to command, then Noctowl.

Toxic, then Switcheroo, then Play Rough. However, if you are taunted during the second action, use Play Rough.

Toxic ~ Switcheroo/Play Rough ~ Play Rough

I should really have thought this through more. Eh.

Protect from that toxic. From what I gather, switcheroo just changes items over, and since we are only holding a lucky egg, we should be fine. Do a fire fang when he gets close enough to try and nab our item. Then we can taunt.

Protect~Fire fang~Taunt

Noctowl

Health 100%, Energy 94%.
Condition: yummy didn’t come?
Commands: Protect ~ Fire Fang ~ Taunt

Effercon

Health 100%, Energy 89%, magnet rise (3 more actions).
Condition: clinking.
Commands: Toxic ~ Switcheroo / Play Rough ~ Play Rough

Round 2

After an embarrassing first round, the trainers again give commands and the ref motions for the next round to begin; and it does, with the klefki somehow procuring a blob of horrible disgustic goop and tossing it in the general direction of the sandile, where it would have hit if not for the sandile quickly erecting a barrier of the same sort as the klefki had used the previous round. The toxic waste fell to the floor, kind of ruining that piece of the ground for plant growth for probably a few generations.

No matter. Now the klefki sidled up to the sandile and surreptitiously lifted from it a certain very special egg its trainer had given it. … not that Snap didn’t notice, because it had intructions to pay that no mind! and retaliate! with teeth! on fire! directly into a metal keyring! very hard! … in retrospect, not the best execution ever, but it’d do.

Of course, now that the two were near … there was no need for the embarrassment of the previous round as Kallamehr again rushed in the direction of the sandile, this time actually meeting it with a surge of distinctively playful fairy energy.

Which, mind, didn’t stop Snap from ridiculing his performances extensively.

Noctowl

Health 84%, Energy 86%.
Condition: not especially enthused about biting into a metal thing.
Executed: Protect ~ Fire Fang ~ Taunt

Effercon

[Kallamehr] klefki (m) <Prankster> @ Lucky Egg
Health 85%, Energy 76%, taunted (3 more actions). Condition: clinking.
Executed: Toxic ~ Switcheroo ~ Play Rough

Notes
  • critical hit fire fang
  • no, there is no penalty for biting into a metal keyring but like, it’s kind of amusing, have you every tried it?
  • magnet rise expired.
  • Noctowl, then Effercon, to command.
  • I am very rust so please tell me if I miss something important

Now that the little keyring is back down on the floor, use earthquake!
Next up, swagger! And finally, set up a nice 15% sub. c:

Earthquake~Swagger~Substitute.

Thank you for doing the quick reffings, btw. :D

Noctowl

[Snap] sandile (f) <Moxie>
Health 84%, Energy 86%.
Commands: Earthquake ~ Swagger ~ Substitute (15%)

Effercon

Commands: Play Rough ~ Play Rough ~ Play Rough

Round 3

When the ref motions for the round to being, Kallamehr is itching to, er, rough the sandile up. Once again, he charges at her, glowing with fairy energy; meanwhile, Snap turns her tail to the ground and slams it to … remarkably little effect, leaving her slightly puzzled as to her trainer’s intentions.

Still unsatisfied, Kallamehr turns right back around and charges at Snap again, hitting her squarely in the back, and as he approaches, he hears her proclaiming her own superiority and accomplishments, and… well, rude.

Angered—not that he wasn’t before, but, well, still angrily—Kallamehr turns around again to charge in the general direction of the sandile.

And Snap smirks, because what he actually hit was a tree. Which looks kind of like a sandile, maybe, if you’re pissed and pissed in every way. Well, enough of the point-and-laugh show, she actually did have real work to do; so she poured a small amount of life energy into a simulacrum of herself and imbued it with a weak sense of purpose.

A sense of purpose which amounted to all of "PROTECT ORIGINAL", granted, but it was probably better than the klefki could have done, eh?

Noctowl

Health 36%, Energy 69%, substitute (15%).
Condition: actually still pointing and laughing, except no pointing because nothing to point with.

Effercon

Health 78%, Energy 64%, +2 attack, severely confused (2 actions to moderate).
Condition: faceplanted into a tree, how nice.
Executed: Play Rough ~ Play Rough ~ Confused

Notes
  • earthquake does not affect hovering things even without levitate. (mud-slap could have worked, but earthquake isn’t even a projectile)
  • that’s confusion failure on the third action, not merely a miss
  • I ended up adjusting this reffing halfway through to account for the change in effercon’s commandstring, so if there are any inconsistencies tell me.
  • I guess this is fast, but the price you’re paying for that is that my reffing is very crunchy and not very fluffy and not even very satisfying to me tbh. And, also likely to contain minor offage, since I’m still really rusty.
  • Effercon, then Noctowl, to command.

Last edited:
Okay, here is where the fun begins.

Attract hits through Substitute, so lead with it. Then, use Play Rough twice, unless she uses Taunt. In that case, use Protect. If the Substitute is already broken by the third action, use Toxic.

Attract ~ Play Rough/Protect ~ Play Rough/Protect/Toxic

I was under the impression that levitating things have to be told to levitate if they dont have that ability.
By default, Pokémon are immune to Ground-type attacks if and only if the game mechanics say so. For example, a Magnemite may be written as hovering in the air, but moves such as Mud-Slap should still be able to reach it, and moves like Earthquake should interrupt its levitation, causing it to fall and be struck by the attack. On the other hand, a Flygon will likely spend most of its time on the ground, but should instinctively lift off for a moment to avoid Ground attacks. (Keep in mind that non-damaging moves like Sand Attack are never affected by type matchups — neither in the games nor in ASB. The only exception is Thunder Wave.)

Protect~Mud slap~Mud slap-

... give me a bit to check around about that.

ed: you are correct, revision in ... I guess a few hours, and then command again.

Last edited:
Noctowl

Health 84%, Energy 86%.

Effercon

Commands: Play Rough ~ Play Rough ~ Play Rough

Round 3

When the ref motions for the round to begin, Kallamehr is *itching* to, er, rough the sandile up. Once again, he charges at her, glowing with fairy energy; meanwhile, Snap turns her tail to the ground and slams it, momentarily disrupting the klefki's levitation and dropping him to the ground to be tossed around by the now-shaking earth.

As he rises again, Kallamehr turns around to charges at Snap once more, hitting her squarely in the back, and as he approaches, he hears her proclaiming her own superiority and accomplishments, and... well, *rude*.

Angered—not that he wasn't before from the insults and then from being dropped out of the sky, but, well, still angrily—Kallamehr turns around again to charge in the general direction of the sandile.

And Snap smirks, because what he actually hit was a tree. Which looks kind of like a sandile, maybe, if you’re pissed and pissed in every way. Well, enough of the point-and-laugh show, she actually did have real work to do; so she poured a small amount of life energy into a simulacrum of herself and imbued it with a weak sense of purpose.

A sense of purpose which amounted to all of "PROTECT ORIGINAL", granted, but it was probably better than the klefki could have done, eh?

Noctowl

Condition: actually still pointing and laughing, except no pointing because nothing to point with.

Effercon

Health 78%, Energy 64%, +2 attack, severely confused (2 actions to moderate).
Executed: Play Rough ~ Play Rough ~ Confused

Notes
  • I MADE A MISTAKE ... because I am bad at reading change documentation
  • that's confusion failure on the third action, not merely a miss
  • I ended up adjusting this reffing halfway through to account for the change in effercon’s commandstring, so if there are any inconsistencies tell me.
  • I guess this is fast, but the price you’re paying for that is that my reffing is very crunchy and not very fluffy and not even very satisfying to me tbh. And, also likely to contain minor offage, since I’m still really rusty.
  • Effercon, then Noctowl, to command.

Noctowl

Commands: Protect ~ Mud-Slap ~ Mud-Slap

Effercon

Health 59%, Energy 64%, +2 attack, severely confused (2 actions to moderate).
Commands: Attract ~ Play Rough / Protect ~ Play Rough / Protect / Toxic

Round 4

The trainers issue commands again for the new round, eager to get going—but this time, the ref is abruptly seized by a swarm of bees leaving a note "SORRY, POLITICS" for the confused battlers. No matter, though, right, since the ref’s baton is still here?

The battlers are ready, and the pokémon are ready, and they agree to get on with it. Snap is already prepared with another protective barrier, and eyes the klefki, watching for any sign of attack but … nothing comes? Kallamehr doesn’t seem to be even trying to attack, he’s just kind of mumbling incoherently: ―Love is an abomination, the institution of marriage should be mandatory between all individuals!―to the slight chagrin of his trainer.

Right.

It takes a little while, but after a bit of "what the hell are you talking about" and "okay alright could you just snap to it and get down to business", Kallamehr fills himself again with fairy energy tinged with playfulness, and charges again in the direction of the sandile.

He misses again, to Snap’s amusement, and whooshes past, discharging an uncomfortable but ultimately inconsequential burst of that fairy energy a few centimeters from Snap’s face. All the better for Snap, then, who slaps a pile of mud into his face.

As the klefki passes by again—perhaps turning back to move closer to his trainer in anticipation of the next round?—Snap takes the opportunity slap more mud into his face.

As this point, Kallamehr can barely see, but, well, no matter. He’s fairly confident that the blob of poison he tried to drop on the sandile reached its mark, and it should be setting in soon.

Noctowl

Health 35%, Energy 65%, severely poisoned (1% this round).
Condition: a tad ill.
Executed: Protect ~ Mud-Slap ~ Mud-Slap

Effercon

Health 47%, Energy 53%, +2 attack, -2 accuracy, lightly confused (3 actions left)
Condition: definitely tired and emotional.
Executed: Confused ~ Play Rough (miss) ~ Toxic

Notes
  • action 1 confusion problems
  • SORRY POLITICS HAPPENED
  • I am mildly distracted so I might have missed more things than usual, hopefully not
  • Noctowl to command, then Effercon.

Protect to block Taunt, then Torment. You'll get hit by Earthquake, but it will prevent the next one from being used. Finally, use Play Rough.

Protect ~ Torment ~ Play Rough

Back
Top Bottom