• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Professor Layton

Skroy

Eh... =P
I am currently obsessing over the puzzle video game series developed by Nintendo & Level 5, Professor Layton, and so I thought about making a thread on it. For those who do not know this series, it is obviously one that involves mysteries and lots and lots of puzzles.

There are currently 4 games produced: the first two in the series (Curious Village & Diabolical Box) have been released in English and Japanese; the third game (The Last Time Travel) is only in Japan for now; and the 4th game (The Specter's Flute) has yet to be released in Japan (which will occur on November 29 of this year).

The main characters are Professor Hershel Layton, an English gentleman plus professor of archeology who is notable for his puzzle solving skills and signature top hat which he never seems to take off as far as I'm aware of; and Luke, Layton's apprentice.

Now then, time to show some trailers, both in English (only for the first & second game only for obvious reasons) and Japanese with subs (I'm also providing the Japanese trailer for the first & second game because I feel there's more content added to them— which is true— than what the English trailers provide):

Curious Village:
English
Japanese (sorry, no subs for this one as I can't find one with proper subtitles).

Diabolical Box:
English
Japanese

The Last Time Travel
Specter's Flute

I feel the urge to mention that the series is going to have a movie as well. To quote from Wikipedia: "An animation film, called Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, is going to be produced by Masakazu Kubo, who is mainly known for producing the Pokémon films. It will be an original story, separate from the game series. It takes place after the events of The Specter's Flute."

Now with the details out of the way, post in this thread what you think about the game series, what puzzles you like or got frustrated on, what you think of the characters, what could have been improved on, etc. If you're going to mention a puzzle, I encourage you to not post the solution to it or else it will ruin the fun and value to those unfamiliar with the series.

To start off, I like all the puzzles within the game but my favorites would have to be the ones with some sort of math component to them (I love math, so this isn't much of a surprise as to why I love those more than the others). Unfortunately, there are also many puzzles that are frustrating to solve, especially the ones, in my opinion, that involve moving blocks to create a path for an object to reach its goal.

...Huh, I thought I would have more to say.... Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I actually haven't played any of them yet... Something's quite wrong with me, given all the DS games I haven't played, even when I've had my DS since launch, and when I've got R4DS... I'll have check them out after I finish ASH and SaGa 2 though.

The first game was massively popular in the UK! (: It didn't just come out in the US and Japan, you know!

Pandora's Box comes out here really soon... like... six days! I'm excited~~

The first game was massively popular in the UK! (: It didn't just come out in the US and Japan, you know!

Pandora's Box comes out here really soon... like... six days! I'm excited~~

Whoops, my bad! *Goes to edit first post*

Anyway, I thought the puzzles in the second game (Diabolical Box or Pandora's Box, call it whichever you like) were easier to solve than the ones in the first game. However, the hard puzzles I found were still as frustrating as the ones in Curious Village.

Back
Top Bottom