• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Rules of Good Roleplay Etiquette [7/19/08]

A Phoenix Named Lexie

The Only Phoenix Who Can do a Proper Headdesk
Rules of Good Roleplay Etiquette

Welcome to Rules of Good Roleplay Etiquette, affectionately known as Da Rules. I know I'm a newblet here, but hey, don't judge my skills based on that. One thing I've learned is that if you judge peoples' RP skills by their join date, you'll be incredibly surprised at times.

Introduction

Disclaimer
This is all strictly my opinion on what's polite in a roleplay and what is not. I'm not trying to force anything on anybody, but this is for the bored or the curious, and maybe even for some people to look to as a source. I'm going to be wrong or miss details on occasion, yes, but if you see something missing or an inaccurate/disputable rule, just point it out for me and I'll see what I can do. There's no need to get nasty in an etiquette thread. I'm just trying to do my part to help the general public improve THEIR OWN SKILL. :)

Summary
Be kind and considerate in a roleplay. We all want to have fun, not just you, so keep us in your thoughts when you make your posts and characters! <3
Making RPs: Be smart here. Make sure it hasn't been done before, don't be lazy with your rules, put your RPs in the right place, make them neat, and give them a tidy little plot, then send them on their way in a hat and a bowtie and watch them go, but don't rush them.
Characters: Don't make Mary-Sues, be original, give your characters flaws, remember that your character doesn't know everything you do, and don't associate a character's personality with their owner's. We're all here to have fun, and I find that most RPists are pretty cool! :)
Literacy: Be sensible with your grammar and spelling, and make posts that are a comfortable length for you.
Battling: Play fair, remember what damage you've taken, and be a good sport. Again, we're all here just to have fun! :D
Spotlight: Basically, don't try to make a/the plot revolve around your character. If you like another character, you can do something that centers around them for a minute and make their player feel warm and fuzzy inside, but even then, don't go overboard.

Table of Contents
Intro
Making RPs
Characters
Literacy
Battling
Spotlight

Updates
Of course there are going to be updates to Da Rules! The date of the last update is in the title. When that changes, I'll have updated Da Rules.

Updates:
[7/16/08] - Everything was put together and posted.

Last edited:
Re: Under Construction Plz

First Things First:
Making an RP
(Be nice to those with deja vu...)

I haven't seen a huge problem with this here, but in other, more well-populated places, I get deja vu every time I walk into the Roleplay forum/subforum. Es-peci-ally on Gaia, which I'm going to be bashing a lot here.

1. Let's Not Be Cliche'
That's right. Cliche' doesn't mean overdone, either. It means badly done. If you're going to do something, try to do it right. I know that to do things right, you're going to have to have done them wrong before, and I understand that. That's why I'm not going to nag too much on this one. Plus, I can easily ignore it. ^w^

2. Make it Original
This one I see ignored...a lot. For instance, on Gaia. Those of you who have RPed there recently (or tried to) know what I mean. Vampires, Naruto, vampires, vampires, Naruto, vampires, Naruto - give me a break!
Before you make an RP, make sure it hasn't been done before. I understand with the recent forum crash and all that threads need to be remade, but that's entirely different, and you know it. :/
Be smart: if you think it might have been done before, don't make it. Odds are, if it hasn't, someone else will make it later, and you've saved the servers that much memory.

3. Rules? We're In a Rules Thread!
I know. :D
General roleplay rules will be included in a later post, but be kind to your members and don't just say, "general RP rules" as a rule. Please. It leads to confusion and comes across as just plain lazy.
Something else about rules: I understand if you're sensitive to foul language, but if there are villains in a thread, foul language in the right spot can add some serious effect. Saying "butt" instead of "ass" kind of kills the effect, in my opinion. Now, I'm not implying that you should let them run rampant, but if the person knows what they're doing, a tad here and there can greatly develop a character. I advise that, for character development, you allow the same amount Butterfree does: a little.

4. Correct Placement
Pay attention to where you put your threads. That's all I have to say here.

5. Structure
Try to make it neat and organized. Intro in one post, characters in one post, etc. This makes it MUCH easier on the memebers.

6. Plot
Yep, plot. Some roleplays, like Animal Crossing roleplays, can do without one, but a plot is usually needed. If you're going to make a plot, refer to rules 1 and 2.

7. Don't Get Frustrated
A major key to running an RP is being patient. Be patient with the thread, be patient with the people, be patient with the plot. If you rush things, you'll only get frustrated, and it won't help anything. :/

Summary
Be smart here. Make sure it hasn't been done before, don't be lazy with your rules, put your RPs in the right place, make them neat, and give them a tidy little plot, then send them on their way in a hat and a bowtie and watch them go, but don't rush them.

What Goes In a Roleplay?
Characters
(It's time for a little tough love...)

Characters are a major, MAJOR part of an RP, as much as the plot, so they need to be good. Here's a basic what-to-do and what-not-to-do guide for charries!

1. Mary-Sues
a. What a Mary-Sue Is
Mary-Sues are, by definition of Wikipedia, "a fictional character who plays a major role in the plot on such a scale that suspension of disbelief fails due to the character's traits, skills and abilities being tenuously or inadequately justified."
I, however, prefer the Writerium version of the definition: "Characters deemed as Mary Sues are usually "author's darlings." The author spoils the character in some way, be it with too much talent, beauty, and/or charm, then writes the character and story in such a way that it becomes obvious that the writer intended the audience to feel obligated to like the character."

b. Examples
I'm sure we've all come across characters like this: Eragon (yeah I said it, sue me (puntotallyintended)), Arya, Wesley Crusher, Robin Hood, Peter Pan (At least the Disney version), any Disney princess (but not the Brothers Grimm versions), King Arthur. They are EVERYWHERE.

c. Avoiding Them
Some can be pulled off quite well, like Eragon (or at least, that was my opinion when I read it...years ago...), Robin Hood (favorite fairytale character EVER), and some others. The problem is, we're not all that skilled. I can't pull off Mary Sues myself. If you're new to Mary Sueism, and even if you're not, I suggest putting your characters through one of these tests. There are even two specifically for Pokemon! My personal favorite among these is this one. I run all of my characters through it, whether I'm sure about them or not.
Remember to be HONEST on these tests. Nobody's going to see the results, and you're not helping yourself in any way by lying. If the character doesn't pass, it's perfectly okay to let it slip away, and you can always just revise it a tad and run it through again.

2. Originality
While most unoriginal characters fall under the class of Mary Sues, there are still some unoriginal characters that slip by. There are ways to make your characters original without giving them all this pizzazz that also turns them into a Mary-Sue, though. Not only can they have unoriginal virtues, they can have unoriginal FLAWS! Imagine that! For example, Marcus, one of my charries, is a Mightyena with a cataract in one of his eyes and arthritis when it gets damp. He's still a good fighter, though.
However, if you give your characters flaws, make sure to stick to them, and don't make them immune to flaws of their race. If your character is a vampire, they can't be immune to sunlight. I don't care what you say. Don't care what mystical trinket they have or what half-blood they are. Vampires. Die. In. Sunlight. Got it?

3. Person-Character Transgression. Don't Do It.

Gonna start off with an example.
"Marcus crouched in the bushes, eying the Furret hungrily. The old Mightyena licked his chops, creeping a few steps forward.
The leaves and undergrowth around him were wet and cold with the morning's dew, making his joints ache painfully. He had to concentrate on the Furret instead of the pain however, as he knew that if the pain clouded his mind, he wouldn't make the kill. He hadn't told the other Mightyenas that he was experiencing joint pains yet, and he couldn't show it now.

Fenrir snorted at Marcus as the old Mightyena stalked the Furret. That old thing couldn't take down the prey. His joints would surely hamper his movements and let the Furret escape. The younger Mightyena let out a chuckle. "Old man couldn't make a kill if his life depended on it," Fenrir mused."

a. Information Transgression
Fenrir's player made a bad mistake which we sometimes do without realizing. Though Marcus's player did mention that Marcus had arthritis, they also mentioned that Marcus had not told anyone. Fenrir, however, somehow knew, despite the fact that Marcus was making sure not to let it show. How? Not magic. Person-Character Information Transgression. The basic way to avoid me having to knock you into oblivion with a Home Run Bat because of this is to separate actions and dialog given by characters from expository sentences given by player in your head.

b. Opinion Transgression
We all do this, but try not to.
You probably don't like Fenrir because of his mocking Marcus even though Marcus can't help it. However, Fenrir's player could be a perfectly lovely person. Don't let Fenrir make you hate Fenrir's player and miss out on a potential friend. :)

Summary
Don't make Mary-Sues, be original, give your characters flaws, remember that your character doesn't know everything you do, and don't associate a character's personality with their owner's. We're all here to have fun, and I find that most RPists are pretty cool! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

How Do We Portray Our Characters' Actions?
With Coherent, Literate Posts
(We've spent thousands of years perfecting the English language. USE IT.)

I know a lot of people here are nitpicks on grammar. I don't see a problem with it at all here. In fact, that's one of the reasons I love T-Cod. Most of us know how to capitalize our sentences! :D

1. Grammar and Spelling
There are way too many grammar rules and way too many spelling quirks for me to list them all. I'm not going to. What I AM going to say though, is if you're not sure how to spell a word, use spellcheck or use a different word.
Also, I think this bit in the Writerium very helpful, and find myself referring to it now and then myself.
Now, on to my basic rule for literacy.

2. Length
There's always been a big debate about length in posts. Post-length is the main thing that separates literates from advanced literates. I think it's kind of stupid, myself. Two good sentences (and by sentences I mean at least seven words) is good enough for me, but I find myself posting eight to ten lines (in size 1) without meaning to. Yeah, um, that's when I started using size 1 font. o_O;
What I say is quality, not quantity. Don't feel the need to tag on extra stuff just to make a post good. Keep it easy for yourself when it comes to length and just do what's natural. If you can only do one sentence, I'm sure you can come up with something to make another sentence and total two.

Summary:
...Um, yeah. You really can't read just that? Meh, fine.
Be sensible with your grammar and spelling, and make posts that are a comfortable length for you.

Battle Etiquette
(Play nice, kiddies.)

Some of you may have already seen this Battle Etiquette beast. :D

1. Attacking
Yep, attacking. You'd think people wouldn't need to be told how to do this. :/
All attacks should be phrased as attempts. For example:
"Featherstar leaped at the Espeon with the fury in his eyes. The Sneasel brought down a two-clawed paw, aiming at the Espeon's shoulder."
This way, the Espeon, whoever it is, has a chance to leap out of the way. Abusing this will be addressed in the next rule.
Don't make your attacks too powerful, either. Yes, there's a lot of Pokemon RPs here (that makes sense, it's a fansite), and yes, one-on-one Pokemon battles tend to be short, but we're not going exactly by the game. :/

2. Defending
Your character can't block or dodge every attack. Your character is GOING to take damage. End of story.

3. Damage
When your character is wounded, your character is wounded. They stay wounded for a while and don't magically heal in two minutes, 'kay?

4. Fair Play
Don't intentionally ganging up on people, please! It's really not nice and sucks the fun right out of things!

5. Good Sportsmanship
Somebody's got to lose in a battle, or else it's not going to end. One character is either going to flee or die, and personally, I'd take fleeing. I don't care if your character is brave and strong. They're going to have to lose at some point, or else I'm going to have to smack you around with an alpacashark.

Summary:
Play fair, remember what damage you've taken, and be a good sport. Again, we're all here just to have fun! :D

Last edited:

Sharing the Spotlight
(Don't make me dropkick you back to Kindergarten.)

Not much to say here. Basically, don't try to make a/the plot revolve solely around your character, even if you're the threadmaker. If you like another person's character, you can do something that centers around them for a minute and make their player feel warm and fuzzy inside, but even then, don't go overboard (I had that happen to me once actually. I was like, "WTF? He has fans. O_o" So yes, it does happen, and you know you've got a good, lovable character when it does). Be considerate and make your character another average character, or people might hate you. :D
No pressure! xD

Now, go have fun, and don't forget to make it fun for everyone else too!

Last edited:
Vampires can't die because of sunlight if they don't work for Hollywood.

Anyway, if only the plot maker can make a plot that revolves around a character, doesn't that mean only the plot maker is able to make a Mary Sue?

Last edited:
Vampires can't die because of sunlight if they don't work for Hollywood.

Where do you get that? References and video evidence would be nice. Verified evidence of the existence of bigfoot and alien abduction would be appreciated, too.

Anyway, if only the plot maker can make a plot that revolves around a character, doesn't that mean only the plot maker is able to make a Mary Sue?

No. It's possible to make a Sue with constant spotlighting, and gratuitous amounts of over-description of even her smallest everyday activities. If everyone's head turns to watch and applaud her while, say, haggling in a busy marketplace, you've got a Sue. Any member can do it.

LOL at vampire thing. xD

A good RP plot, in my opinion, is flexible enough to revolve around at least three different characters, preferable more. Akesh has already said what I was going to, though. o_o
Besides, my "rule" for not making a/the plot revolve around your character applies to threadmakers too.
(Gonna go edit that so it's a little clearer, now...)

...Well, since the mod who viewed it ain't locked it yet, I'd say you're doing a pretty good job. And it wasn't as bite-your-head-off-ish as I thought it would be. As a matter of fact, I find it would be more helpful to sticky this and put it out so all new RPers can see it. It really is a very good guide. ^^

Bite-head-offish? Agh, I hope you're confusing me with Jill! >_<;
I tried to add enough humor and happy emotes to make it seem kind. xD

Thanks so much! ^_^
I was thinking about asking, but I decided not to, since I don't want to sound braggy... That would be so cool if it did happen, though! :D

Excuse me?
I don't try to be bite-head-offish.

I am a bit more blunt.
Excuse me if I get a bit irritated by people.

God.
People hold things against me because I ask one simple question.
-_-

Last edited:
Thanks! ^_^
I wasn't even thinking about having it made a sticky until after I'd finished, but again, I dismissed the idea. Pretty cool that two people (other than me, because I'm the creator and I don't count xD) think it's sticky-worthy! :0

If you use size 1 font during roleplay I'll come to your house and eat your parents.

That's because only the best use size 1 font during roleplay.

[size="-5"]Disclaimer: The best at irritating Tailsy and getting their parents eaten.[/size]

Edit: Read the fine print.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said except for the ganging up on people. A lot of times the character puts them self in a situation where they will get hit by more then one person. Whether it be the two are working together or someone was just taking the opportunity to take advantage of it, it does happen. Often in said cases you can't give your character the magical ability to have enough strength to flee (thankfully I haven't seen any "lol telport" yet.)

Course when doing these sort of RPs you have to decide if there's non-consensual killing. This usually comes into play in forums directly centered around RP, but it's possible to have it done in a single thread RP as well. Also, you have to know the limitations and what exactly an injury will though. If someone bites/penetrates your stomach, you'll most likely not live for long. Thankfully there's no auto-hitting to prevent constant deaths of this sort.

Back
Top Bottom