• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

So I’m writing a story that has a transman in it.

Dinru

Powered by lesbianism!
So I’m writing a story that has a transman in it.

(This is copy-pasted from my Tumblr because I am lazy)

He’s female-to-male transgendered (he’s technically also transpecies* as well, but only because he comes from an all-biofemale race). His name is Cain. I’ve been doing a lot of research because I don’t want to step on any toes or get the facts wrong. However, I feel like I’m missing something when it comes to writing for him. So I would like to politely ask Tumblr TCOD if there’s anything I could be doing better with this character.

Also, keep in mind that this is a universe where HRT could be/probably is dangerous, SRS kind of exists but it’s really difficult to get (however he does eventually get it), and transpeople are kind-of accepted, but stealth is the safest bet.

Basic personality traits
  • Dependable and reliable
  • A bit self-centered
  • Straight (in a world where pansexuality is the norm)
  • Rather “feminine” (possibly closer to being on the masculine side of genderqueer than being a boy)
  • Enjoys wearing tuxedos and top hats (hiding his rabbit-like ears is important to passing)
  • Quite the gentleman (except he’s polite towards both genders)
  • A little kooky (think Gene Wilder Willy Wonka type kooky)
  • His favorite color is purple
  • He dyes his hair
  • He is a very curvy dude
  • Highly dysphoric
  • He doesn’t have nearly enough personality flaws yet.

Basic History
  • Born as Abel to all-female race known as the Bunny Girls who live in the underground tunnels of a floating island
  • His mothers notice right away that Abel is incredibly eclectic.
  • Abel is the first amongst her** peers to ask what a boy is (a coming-of-age question in their culture that has similar impact to a child asking where they came from/how they were born.) She takes special interest in the answer and becomes obsessed with boy-stuff.
  • When she hits her teenage years, it occurs to her just how different she is from her peers. The idea that she should have been a boy enters her head.
  • She relays these thoughts to her parents at the age 14. One of her moms reveals that she had a sister who became her brother. They are very accepting and let him live as himself around his home, but make him pretend to be a girl around the others.
  • One day at around age 16, he has a breakdown and tries to cut his breasts and bunny ears off. His mother finds him as a bloody mess and takes him down to the mainland to get him medical attention.
  • His breasts are too damaged to stay, so he spends most of his money on surgery to remove them. He decides not to go back to the Bunny Girl villiage.
  • With what money he has, he dyes his hair purple and buys a hat and a tuxedo.
  • He starts working at a local inn. There, he meets several prostitutes***. He begins to buy services from them, only to treat them to a nice meal and a safe nights rest. It is through this that he befriends Cornelia (who has a history with the main characters, but is not among them at this point) and falls in love with her right away.
  • Cornelia becomes insanely attracted to Cain. Cain, in an attempt to maintain his stealth, tries hard to reject her but finds he has trouble because he is in love with her. Eventually he outs himself, and Cornelia says she doesn’t care. They begin their relationship.
  • Further on in the story, Cain and Cornelia join the main characters. Cain remains stealth to all of the main characters until they enter the proximity of a Purple Rose (which has magical gender-bending properties and it’s petals essentially are magical SRS), which obviously outs him. He gets to keep a few purple rose petals for himself afterwards.

So: Is there anything I’m doing wrong? Anything offensive? Any other suggestions that don’t necessarily have to do with his trans-ness?

*Note that by this, I mean more “tries to hide his true species because it would out him” than “has always had an innate feeling of being another species”. But I can’t think of a word that suits this concept better than “transpecies”

**Is it proper/correct to call a pre-everything (including self realization) transperson by the pronoun of their assigned gender?

***Prostitution is legal in this universe. There is no such thing as an STD, and there is 100% (when used properly) effective birth control .

tl;dr: I am being careful about writing about a minority that I’m not(?) actually a part of and asking for advice from people who are more knowledgeable than me.

Back
Top Bottom