• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sonic Rainboom vs. bulbasaur (ref: Squornshellous Beta)

Squornshellous Beta

Pronoun
she/they/any
5 vs. 5 Single
Switch
DQ Time: 1 week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Pokemon: Every Pokemon that's evolved.
Banned Moves: OHKOs, all healing moves (not draining ones)
Arena: A plain. No effects.
Sonic Rainboom's Active Squad
Snivy
(Female)
Ability: Overgrow

Munna
Flowery Guy (Male)
Ability: Synchronize

Litwick
Flitwick (Female)
Ability: Flash Fire

Venipede
Uncreative (Female)
Ability: Poison Point

Hoppip
Hoopla (Female)
Ability: Chlorophyll

bulbasaur's Active Squad
Bulbasaur
Chlorine (Male)
Ability: Overgrow
Held Item: Leaf Stone

Vulpix
Bromine (Female)
Ability: Flash Fire

Buizel
Cuprum (Male)
Ability: Swift Swim
Held Item: Oran Berry

Sandshrew
Aurum (Male)
Ability: Sand Veil

Pachirisu-f
Oxygen (Female)
Ability: Run Away
Move Mod: move mod
Body Mod: body mod
Held Item: Rawst Berry

First Round
- Sonic Rainboom sends out
- bulbasaur sends out and attacks
- Sonic Rainboom attacks
- I ref

Last edited:
In that case, I guess I'll go with Cuprum.

Okay, maybe you don't know these moves very well, and they aren't your element, but they will help us get an advantage over this grass-type, a type that you are inherently weak to.

So here goes: Blizzard until she's frozen or you hit the damage cap, at which point, Rain Dance, and then, Growl. If she tries to use protect during the first two turns, Chill. If she tries doing that during the last turn, Rain Dance

Blizzard/Chill~Blizzard/Rain Dance/Chill~Blizzard/Rain Dance/Growl

K.
Hoopla, I KNOW that you have an advantage, but don't get overconfident.

Leech Seed until it hits, then Bounce, and finish off with Sunny Day.
If Bounce misses, then Giga Drain (HP).
Leech Seed~Bounce~Sunny Day

Edit: Fixed,I think. Bear with me-This is my first battle. Derp.

Last edited:
5 vs. 5 Single
Switch
Pre-round Notes
After all the weird thigs that have happened to this referee, she feels an enormous relief in reffing a nice, simple battle that's actually planned, rather than the universe simply collapsing around her or whatever. So the trainers fly into the plain, pre-marked with battlefield markings, and assume their positions; one trainer sends out a Hoppip and the other a Buizel, and the referee looks forward to a nice normal battle.

Team Sonic Rainboom
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Hoppip
Hoopla (Female)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Leech Seed ~ Leech Seed / Bounce ~ Leech Seed / Bounce / Sunny Day / Giga Drain

Team bulbasaur
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Buizel
Cuprum (Male)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Blizzard / Chill ~ Blizzard / Rain Dance / Chill ~ Blizzard / Rain Dance / Growl
Item: Oran Berry

Round 1 Begin!

The Buizel is the fastest by quite a lot, and so he moves first. His eyes take on a bright blue glow and suddenly a harsh, cold wind begins blowing in from the north side of the field. It quickly gets colder and begins to carry with it shards of ice, which pelt at and sting Hoopla quite severely. The ice-cold barrage continues for quite a while, and when it fades away, a thick layer of ice has formed over one of her leaves and the left side of her body. Her already-low hovering is, as a result, completely nullified, and she's fallen to the ground. She glares, and begins her own attack: a seed bulges out in the space between her leaves and then erupts from her with a pop, launching in a perfect parabola towards Cuprum. It hits him in the back and immediately bursts open, burrowing a shoot into his back and, on the other end, growing a small flower, which begins emitting a tiny trickle of energy that pours towards Hoopla, who absorbs it gratefully.

Growling, Cuprum tries to reach the root to pull it out, but to no avail. He scrabbles madly at it, but it's just too high up on his back to reach, so he has no choice but to leave it be and use his next attack. His eyes glow blue once more, a different shade this time, and clouds begin to form in the sky, darkening and thickening; suddenly, rain begins pouring down, drenching Hoopla within seconds and allowing Cuprum to feel lighter and faster than he has in a long while. He begins darting around just to test out his newfound speed; meanwhile, Hoopla hovers as best as she possibly can, managing very briefly to hover slightly; she launches herself upwards, basically throwing herself, and hurtles towards Cuprum, who for all his speed fails to dodge, getting smacked in the head with the ice-covered projectile.

He throws her off and then, contorting his face maliciously, lets out a long and menacing growl, which seems to scare Hoopla quite severely. She eeeeeps, turns tail and flees. As she goes, she concentrates her energy, a small orange orb forming in the same place as the Leech Seed earlier, which fires a column of energy high into the air, striking the clouds. Within a few seconds the rain stops, the clouds clear and the sun seemingly brightens, the temperature increasing. Cuprum's speed burst fades away, much to his dismay, but Hoopla feels the chloroplasts in her body going into overdrive, filling her with energy that she can barely even use. She begins darting about as best as the (now-melting) ice will allow, unable to contain herself.

Round 1 End!

Team Sonic Rainboom
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Hoppip
Hoopla (Female)
Health: 79%
Energy: 79%
Status: Ifeelgooddoyoufeelgood?IfeelsohyperrightnowmanIwanttogodosomesportsorsomething!I'mmagowrestleabear! Attack -1; Frozen (severe; can no longer fly, speed reduced to three-quarters, extra energy on attacks requiring movement); Chlorophyll in effect.
Attacks Used: Leech Seed ~ Bounce ~ Sunny Day

Team bulbasaur
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Buizel
Cuprum (Male)
Health: 90%
Energy: 85%
Status: My rain D: WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY RAIN Seeded (3% per round)
Attacks Used: Blizzard ~ Rain Dance ~ Growl

Damage / Energy Calculations
Blizzard - 24% damage, 9% energy (accuracy roll 66, needed 70 or above to miss)
Leech Seed - 6% energy (accuracy roll 8, needed 90 or above to miss)
Rain Dance - 4% energy
Bounce - 7% damage, 10% energy (accuracy roll 34, needed 85 or above to miss)
Growl - 2% energy (accuracy roll 72, needed 100 to miss)
Sunny Day - 5% energy

Notes
- You guys respond fast! I anticipate this to be a fast-paced battle!
- Those commands are still wrong, I'm afraid. What you ordered would be Leech Seed ~ Leech Seed / Bounce ~ Leech Seed / Bounce / Sunny Day / Giga Drain. I'll let you slide this time, but. Try and get it right next time, I guess.
- Also, ordering more than three conditionals in an action confuses your Pokémon. I randomize the commands in this situation.
- Your Pokémon have no concept of damage caps, and they don't know that their health is measured in percentages.
- The first Blizzard froze Hoopla. Such a powerful attack is going to freeze fairly strongly, so I made it severe: Hoopla can no longer fly. This meant that Bounce was reduced-power and increased-energy.

Arena Notes
- The sun is shining strongly (three more rounds).

Next Round
- Sonic Rainboom attacks
- bulbasaur attacks
- I ref

Last edited:
Ouch.

Hoopla, go mess with his mind with Attract, then Giga Drain (energy), then try to use Bullet Seed.

Attract~Giga Drain~Bullet Seed

You did great last round, Cuprum. Now Protect against the Attract, because, well, you wouldn't want to be falling in love with her, would you?

Because of the Sunny Day, she might not be frozen anymore, but I don't see what can go wrong with an Icy Wind to calm her down and a Blizzard to finish.

If, for some reason, you're infatuated (I don't see how this could happen), Chill, then SonicBoom - her trainer's name is SonicRainBoom, after all.

Protect~Icy Wind/Chill~Blizzard/SonicBoom

5 vs. 5 Single
Switch
Team Sonic Rainboom
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Hoppip
Hoopla (Female)
Health: 79%
Energy: 79%
Status: Ifeelgooddoyoufeelgood?IfeelsohyperrightnowmanIwanttogodosomesportsorsomething!I'mmagowrestleabear! Attack -1; Frozen (severe; can no longer fly, speed reduced to three-quarters, extra energy on attacks requiring movement); Chlorophyll in effect.
COmmands: Attract ~ Giga Drain ~ Bullet Seed

Team bulbasaur
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Buizel
Cuprum (Male)
Health: 90%
Energy: 85%
Status: My rain D: WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY RAIN Seeded (3% per round)
Commands: Protect ~ Icy Wind / Chill ~ Blizzard / Sonicboom

Round 2 Begin!

Buizel manages to even overcome the speed boost Hoopla is provided by the sunlight to throw up a protective shield, which materializes as a flickering, translucent green dome surrounding him. Just in time, too, because Hoopla begins shouting compliments at him, which in her hyperactivity are already somewhat incoherent; the protective shield renders the sound nothing more than a muffled buzz. Once Hoopla stops talking, Cuprum lets the shield drop; it fades away in a shimmering haze.

Hoopla now concentrates, directing her attention towards the flower sprout on Cuprum's back. The flower opens wide and the trickle of energy it was emitting widens to a thick stream. After a few seconds the flower closes again, reducing the flow to a trickle, but Cuprum is clearly the worse for wear; Hoopla, on the other hand, looks considerably healthier. Cuprum, meanwhile, begins a seeming repeat of his earlier Blizzard; his eyes take on a pale blue glow and an ice-cold blast of air begins blowing in. Hoopla squeaks; she is really not good with the cold.

When the blast shows no sign of abating, Hoopla begins a move: she gathers several of the seeds in her body, placing them in her mouth, then launches them at high velocity at Cuprum. He barely flinches, though; the attack is clearly not doing much. Suddenly the icy wind intensifies, and begins to bring with it particles of ice and snow; the blizzard intensifies for a few seconds, then dies away, to reveal a Hoppip that's pretty significantly the worse for wear.

Round 2 End!

Team Sonic Rainboom
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Hoppip
Hoopla (Female)
Health: 58% (CAPPED)
Energy: 61%
Status: ArghstupidBuizel!Stupidiceattack!Hurtinghurtinghurting! Attack -1; Frozen (severe; can no longer fly, speed reduced to three-quarters, extra energy on attacks requiring movement); Chlorophyll in effect.
Attacks Used: Attract ~ Giga Drain ~ Bullet Seed

Team bulbasaur
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Buizel
Cuprum (Male)
Health: 69%
Energy: 65%
Attacks Used: Protect ~ Icy Wind ~ Blizzard

Protect - 4% energy
Attract - 5% energy
Giga Drain - 12% damage, restored 6% health (Hoopla), 7% energy (accuracy roll 75, needed 100 to miss)
Icy Wind - 11% damage, 7% energy (accuracy roll 20, needed 100 to miss)
Bullet Seed (three hits) - 2% damage, 2% energy *3 (accuracy rolls 92, 5 and 9, needed 100 to miss)
Blizzard - 24% damage, 9% energy (accuracy roll 12, needed 70 or above to miss)

Notes
- Why do so many of my battles end up with a Pokémon at 69% health or energy ;.;
- bulbasaur is right in that the Sunny Day is afecting the freezing, but he's overestimating just how much. It's going to reduce the freeze-time by a few rounds overall, though.

Arena Notes
- The sun is shining strongly (two more rounds).

Next Round
- bulbasaur attacks
- Sonic Rainboom attacks
- I ref

Make it Hail, just to calm her down a bit. I know that may not be as appealing as rain, but now that you've got it cooler, you can fire your Blizzard next action much more easily. Afterwards, Icy wind should be a nice, relaxing finish to this round.

If you're infatuated with Hoopla at any time, Bulk Up once to impress her, then Ice Beam the rest of your actions, just to show her how good you're getting at your ice attacks.

Hail/Bulk Up~Blizzard/Bulk Up/Ice Beam~Icy Wind/Bulk up/Ice Beam

Make it Hail, just to calm her down a bit. I know that may not be as appealing as rain, but now that you've got it cooler, you can fire your Blizzard next action much more easily. Afterwards, Icy wind should be a nice, relaxing finish to this round.

If you're infatuated with Hoopla at any time, Bulk Up once to impress her, then Ice Beam the rest of your actions, just to show her how good you're getting at your ice attacks.

Hail/Bulk Up~Blizzard/Bulk Up/Ice Beam~Icy Wind/Bulk up/Ice Beam

Oops, double post

Hoopla, he's going to take way your sun! Do him a favour by using Sleep Powder
to give him a nice rest, then Giga Drain (HP), then to lessen the hurt from some of his other attacks, Amnesia.
Sleep Powder~Giga Drain(HP)~Amnesia

5 vs. 5 Single
Switch
Team Sonic Rainboom
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Hoppip
Hoopla (Female)
Health: 58% (CAPPED)
Energy: 61%
Status: ArghstupidBuizel!Stupidiceattack!Hurtinghurtinghurting! Attack -1; Frozen (severe; can no longer fly, speed reduced to three-quarters, extra energy on attacks requiring movement); Chlorophyll in effect.
Commands: Sleep Powder ~ Giga Drain (HP) ~ Amnesia

Team bulbasaur
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Buizel
Cuprum (Male)
Health: 69%
Commands: Hail / Bulk Up ~ Blizzard / Bulk Up / Ice Beam ~ Icy Wind / Bulk Up / Ice Beam

Round 3 Begin!

Still hyperactive in the bright sun, Hoopla is by far the fastest. She begins shaking her leaves wildly - as much as she can with the ice coating one of them - and dislodges a huge cloud of what appears to be green pollen. It drifts towards Cuprum and engulfs him, his eyelids droop and he collapses forwards, landing facedown in the dirt.

With him asleep, Hoopla is free to get on with her own moves. As in the previous round, she causes the bud on Cuprum's back to momentarily bloom, siphoning a large portion of his energy for her own use. With this done, she allows the bud to close again.

Now she begins focusing her mind, trying to close off her mental defenses. She is successful to a degree, but unfortunately, in the process, she forgets how to use another of her moves. Still, she now feels she can take some more hits - and as an added bonus, she seems to be regaining some mobility! The ice must be melting!

Round 3 End!

Team Sonic Rainboom
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Hoppip
Hoopla (Female)
Health: 67%
Energy: 44%
Status: Ifeelgood!Again! Attack -1, special defense +2; Worry Seed forgotten; Frozen (moderate; can no longer fly, speed reduced to seven-eights, extra energy on attacks requiring movement); Chlorophyll in effect.
Attacks Used: Sleep Powder ~ Giga Drain (HP) ~ Amnesia

Team bulbasaur
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Buizel
Cuprum (Male)
Health: 54%
Status: ZZZZZZzzzzZZ... Seeded (3% per round), asleep (moderate; three more rounds).
Attacks Used: [asleep] ~ [asleep] ~ [asleep]

Sleep Powder - 5% energy (accuracy roll 74, needed 75 or above to miss)
Giga Drain - 12% damage, restored 6% health (Hoopla), 7% energy (accuracy roll 43, needed 100 to miss)
Amnesia - 5% energy

Notes
- Hoppip's Amnesia forgot Worry Seed.
- I am sorry for boring rounds guys, it can't be helped when you only have three attacks.

Arena Notes
- The sun is shining strongly (one more round).

Next Round
- Sonic Rainboom attacks
- bulbasaur attacks
- I ref

Last edited:
I think Cuprum'd have 57% health if he started out with 69 and lost 12 due to Giga Drain.

I sort of need a bit of clarification: during the first action of this round, how fast was Hoopla, if she was by far the fastest?

So that would mean that she was already up to 7/8ths speed (down to moderately frozen) at the beginning of the round, then?

Back
Top Bottom