• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggest Movies for Me

Vipera Magnifica

Aquatic Artiste
Pronoun
he/him
I'm looking for recommendations on movies to watch. I'm not particularly concerned with the genre, as long as it's a good movie. Let me just give you a few examples of movies I like to give you an idea:

Movies I like:
Pink Floyd - The Wall (Brilliant)
The Big Lebowski
Airplane!
Pulp Fiction
Naked Gun
Inception
The Breakfast Club
The Room (Best worst movie ever)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Spaceballs
V for Vendetta
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
2001: A Space Odyssey

Movies on my to-do list:
Full Metal Jacket [✓]
The Shawshank Redemption [✓]
Johnny Got His Gun [✓]
A Clockwork Orange [✓]
Citizen Kane [✓]
Donnie Darko [✓]
The Prestige [✓]
American Psycho [✓]
In Bruges [✓]
Reservoir Dogs [✓]
Fight Club [✓]
Goodfellas [✓]
Memento [✓]
Dr. Strangelove [✓]
Requiem for a Dream [✓]
Trainspotting [✓]
Pan's Labyrinth [✓]
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [✓]
The Royal Tenenbaums [✓]
Blade Runner [✓]
The Shining [✓]
American History X [✓]

So, uh, suggestions?

Last edited:
Repo! The Genetic Opera is a good one if you're okay with musicals and gore. Other good movies off the top of my head are The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Silent Hill (both are waaay better than people give them credit for), The Last Unicorn (if you like animated, sort of strange, and very pretty movies), Rio is a cute animated one with nice music...

I'm sure there are more hmhmhmhm...

I'd recommend checking out Reservoir Dogs if you liked Pulp fiction. It's another movie by Quentin Tarantino and it's in the same genre.

If you end up liking Full Metal Jacket, try checking out Platoon and Apocalypse Now. The Green Mile is also worth a look if you're interested in The Shawshank Redemption.

Oh, and the remake of The Wicker Man is another "So bad it's good" movie, although even Nic Cage's insanity can't hold a candle to The Room. (I don't think anything can top it really)

The Prestige, another one of Chris Nolan's mindfucky films. Uh, the director's cut of Daredevil is one of the better pre-Nolan superhero films. Hot Fuzz, In Bruges and Scott Pilgrim vs The World. The Quiet American. Mean Girls.

I second Reservoir Dogs, The Prestige and Hot Fuzz. I think they'd go well with your other tastes and they're some of my favorite movies. And The Green Mile, though it's less directly in line with what's already on your list.

Out of Quentin Tarantino's repertoire, I also adore Inglourious Basterds, though some people hate it.

And if you haven't seen Monty Python's Life of Brian, you should, although there is a bizarre subset of people that does not get Monty Python at all (my mom is one of them).

How To Train Your Dragon is good animated flick with really good music as well.

And i you haven't seen it, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is an epic musical, though not really a movie (It's about 45 minutes and on Youtube. But DVD is a must, with the musical commentary and all).

Repo! The Genetic Opera is a good one if you're okay with musicals and gore. Other good movies off the top of my head are The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Silent Hill (both are waaay better than people give them credit for), The Last Unicorn (if you like animated, sort of strange, and very pretty movies), Rio is a cute animated one with nice music...

I'm sure there are more hmhmhmhm...
Thanks for the suggestions. Of those, I've only seen Rio... it was okay, nothing spectacular :/

I must watch Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, though.
I'd recommend checking out Reservoir Dogs if you liked Pulp fiction. It's another movie by Quentin Tarantino and it's in the same genre.

If you end up liking Full Metal Jacket, try checking out Platoon and Apocalypse Now. The Green Mile is also worth a look if you're interested in The Shawshank Redemption.

Oh, and the remake of The Wicker Man is another "So bad it's good" movie, although even Nic Cage's insanity can't hold a candle to The Room. (I don't think anything can top it really)
NOT THE BEES. NOT THE BEES. AAAAAH MY EYES AUGHHHH
The Prestige, another one of Chris Nolan's mindfucky films. Uh, the director's cut of Daredevil is one of the better pre-Nolan superhero films. Hot Fuzz, In Bruges and Scott Pilgrim vs The World. The Quiet American. Mean Girls.
Hot Fuzz is good. The Quiet American is good. Mean Girls is okay, overrated, though - I recall one summer camp where no one could give a speech without someone in the background yelling out "You don't even go here!".
Pan's Labyrinth , if you don't mind Spanish movies.
I'll check it out.
Spaceballs. No questions asked.
It's good alright, and rife with 4th wall breaking.
I second Reservoir Dogs, The Prestige and Hot Fuzz. I think they'd go well with your other tastes and they're some of my favorite movies. And The Green Mile, though it's less directly in line with what's already on your list.

Out of Quentin Tarantino's repertoire, I also adore Inglourious Basterds, though some people hate it.

And if you haven't seen Monty Python's Life of Brian, you should, although there is a bizarre subset of people that does not get Monty Python at all (my mom is one of them).
I'm definitely not one of those people. Monty Python is brilliant.

Inglorious Basterds was good. I'll have to check out Reservoir Dogs, what with all these suggestions.
How To Train Your Dragon is good animated flick with really good music as well.

And i you haven't seen it, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is an epic musical, though not really a movie (It's about 45 minutes and on Youtube. But DVD is a must, with the musical commentary and all).
That's the one with Neil Patrick Harris, correct? Yeah, I'll definitely have to check it out.

if you like spaceballs, anything else by mel brooks is worth checking out. blazing saddles is by far my favorite and history of the world part 1 has some wondrous moments too.

To go for another cult movie: Trainspotting.

I also think Requiem for a Dream and Black Swan are good movies (but considering this is Darren Aronofsky they are a little weird).

Other movies I've liked recently are Intouchables (but that's in French of course), Haevnen (which is in Danish I think...- English title In a Better World), and American History X.

I second all the Quentin Tarantino movies, and American History X, and Pan's Labyrinth, and Requiem For a Dream. Also, Fight Club, Memento, 12 Monkeys, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and if you don't mind gore (and if you plan on watching Quentin Tarantino, you can't mind it), American Psycho, and Silence of the Lambs.

Inglourious Basterds is easily Tarantino's best film, but then I am not as enamoured of Pulp Fiction as lots of people seem to be.

I'll try recommend some stuff that's a little different to what you have so far. My favourite director is Sofia Coppola, and I would heartily recommend Lost in Translation and, if you like that (but not if you don't) Somewhere. My other favourite director is Kubrick, and I'm a bit confused as to why 2001 isn't on your list when Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange are. And if you go in for very slow three-hour science fiction, Solaris (the one without George Clooney) is very good.

if you like spaceballs, anything else by mel brooks is worth checking out. blazing saddles is by far my favorite and history of the world part 1 has some wondrous moments too.
BLAZING SADDLES. Yes, that is a great movie :D
The Lawnmower Man.

It's a cult move from the early 1990's.

SO FUCKING WEIRD.
Sounds right up my alley.
To go for another cult movie: Trainspotting.

I also think Requiem for a Dream and Black Swan are good movies (but considering this is Darren Aronofsky they are a little weird).

Other movies I've liked recently are Intouchables (but that's in French of course), Haevnen (which is in Danish I think...- English title In a Better World), and American History X.
Good suggestions.
I second all the Quentin Tarantino movies, and American History X, and Pan's Labyrinth, and Requiem For a Dream. Also, Fight Club, Memento, 12 Monkeys, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and if you don't mind gore (and if you plan on watching Quentin Tarantino, you can't mind it), American Psycho, and Silence of the Lambs.
Yeah, I was planning to watch American Psycho and Fight Club, since my roommate has those on DVD. And I'm watching Memento anyway, as my Philosophy teacher is making us write a paper on it. I'll have to check some of those others out.
Inglourious Basterds is easily Tarantino's best film, but then I am not as enamoured of Pulp Fiction as lots of people seem to be.

I'll try recommend some stuff that's a little different to what you have so far. My favourite director is Sofia Coppola, and I would heartily recommend Lost in Translation and, if you like that (but not if you don't) Somewhere. My other favourite director is Kubrick, and I'm a bit confused as to why 2001 isn't on your list when Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange are. And if you go in for very slow three-hour science fiction, Solaris (the one without George Clooney) is very good.
AAAA STUPID ME. How did I forget 2001: A Space Odyssey? Great movie btw.

I think I should just make an effort to watch all of Kubrick's great films. I've also heard a lot of praise for Dr. Strangelove, would you recommend that?
Memento, in my opinion Nolan's magnum opus (yes, even better than Inception) and one of the best mystery thrillers I've ever seen, and if you'll like that, watch Nolan's debut Following as well. Also seconding the mention of The Prestige, and his Batman trilogy is also definitely very much so worth watching.

You'll probably like In Bruges since you like Pulp Fiction and The Big Lebowski; it's just as quotable as those two (if not more) and it's a fun buddy movie, though the story is a bit sad (the trailer doesn't do it justice).

Blade Runner, probably the visually and atmospherically most stunning science fiction film I've seen.

Blue Velvet and Lost Highway are very fun thrillers from Lynch, and if you'll be into that style then you'll probably find Mulholland Dr excellent which is arguably Lynch's best movie, but it's quite surreal and seemingly disjointed which is why I wouldn't recommend starting with that first from him.

Paul Thomas Anderson's stuff: Boogie Nights, Magnolia, There Will Be Blood, Punch-Drunk Love.

You have Citizen Kane on your list of stuff to watch so you might want to check off some other great classics as well like 12 Angry Men (the original 1957 version, not the remake) and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

Other various stuff that haven't been mentioned yet: Oldboy, The Princess Bride, Flipped, Fargo, No Country For Old Men, Annie Hall, GoodFellas, Shutter Island, The Departed, The Matrix, The Royal Tenenbaums, Groundhog Day, Being John Malkovich, The Shining, The Bucket List, The Others, Drive, the Toy Story trilogy, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Little Miss Sunshine, City Of God, Stand By Me, 50 First Dates, The Exorcist, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. And I personally find it overrated, but everyone else seems to like The Usual Suspects.

Also seconding Pan's Labyrinth, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind and Fight Club, and the gore in The Silence of the Lambs isn't really gore by movie standards lol, it's like the mystery thriller for people who don't like body horror in horror movies.

Thanks! These are all very good suggestions. I think I'll add some of these to my to-do list.

Alright, so... opinions on the movies I've watched so far:

Full Metal Jacket (1987): Brilliant movie. Particularly harrowing. Slowly becoming my favorite war movie of all time.

Johnny Got His Gun (1971): To be perfectly honest, this one struck me as a disappointment. The book was much, much better, and the film had nowhere near the emotional impact that the book had on me. The film spent too much time on awkward scenes from the protagonist's past, and almost completely skipped the anti-war sentiment that was central to the novel. And the scenes that were supposed to be nightmares were horrifically underplayed. Perhaps such a story never really belonged on the big screen, as it rather defeats the purpose of the imaginative despair Dalton Trumbo created in the novel.

Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964): I wasn't sure what to expect when watching this movie. All I knew was that Stanley Kubrick directed and produced it, so it was to be no doubt brilliant. And what I got was a most satisfying taste of Cold War satire. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"

A Clockwork Orange (1971): So, I just finished watching this one. And perhaps it is the most complex film of those I have watched. Bizarre? Yes. Graphic? Yes. Thematically, it is a very powerful film, and its success is magnified by Malcolm McDowell's outstanding performance. Yeah. Kubrick.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, everyone.

I can second Shutter Island (quite like that one), of course Fight Club (I left it out because it had been mentioned already), Princess Bride, Spirited Away, and the first part of the Matrix trilogy (2 is acceptable and 3 is shit).

Back
Top Bottom