• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

D/P/Pt Suggestions for Gallade?

Darksong

Back in action!
I'm training a competitive battling team, but for now, I'm only worried about Gallade. I can't find a good item other than Scope Lens, and my moveset might be kind of flawed. It probably can't defeat an Arceus of the same level if the Arceus has no EVs (Which is not exactly what I'm aiming for, just competitive battling xD )

What I mean is that I need some suggestions. I'm aiming to be able to defeat my friend's EV trained team, even though I don't know what it consists of.

Gallade @ Choice Scarf
ADAMANT nature;; EVs: 6 HP / 252 ATK / 252 Speed
Moveset:
Close Combat
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Ice Punch

Last edited:
Slap a Choice Scarf on it and it's good to go. I'm very fond of fast, hard-hitting pokemon, and surprise first attacks. More-so when they're all mixed into one. ,x3

Let me know who wins~

Looks good. Scope Lens is terrible, though - I'd suggest a Life Orb if you don't like Choice sets like Feli suggested (like me - well, they're okay if the Pokemon's crazy fast and learns Trick, but Gallade has neither, as pure win as he is). Another idea would be to find a way to toss Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave in there for a bit of status support.

I was thinking Choice Scarf, since I can go with Close Combat (I'm pretty sure he has no Ghost types). But I might not to be able to contact my friend since he's in a different class than me. Still, I could bring a journal and ask him for his friend code so we could go on over Wi-Fi. Thanks. I'll try out Choice Scarf and see how Gallade does.

You could consider Thunder Punch instead of Ice Punch, it's stronger then Ice Punch while covering up Flying Weakness, and can punch the common threat Gyarados into oblivion.
But that said, I'm not much of a competitive player, but at least consider Thunder Punch, the rest of the moves look fine.

Ice Punch and Thunderpunch have the same power last time I checked. Plus, Gyarados is one threat; Garchomp, Salamence, Flygon, Dragonite, and pretty much every other dragon ever is a lot more than one threat.

Oh yeah, I thought Ice Punch had 65 in base attack power, I kinda pixed it with Shadow Punch.

But I tried to help, at least. And I just suggested she'd consider it.

Okay, but for some reason, the foe always hangs on with just a little HP left when I attack it. Does that mean I should use Choice Band or Life Orb, or is Choice Scarf still a good choice?

Stick with Choice Scarf because Gallade is kind of slow and you need the speed.

Use a stronger move?

I wonder why I didn't consider that xD According to Veekun, power-wise, Zen Headbutt > Psycho Cut. I could try that.

I think he also has ONE MISSING ATTACK EV :( Due to the fact that he got PokeRus when it was on an odd number and back then I didn't know that the 1 EV he was missing made a difference. *shrug* Still going with Zen Headbutt. If I can find enough Shards xD

I'd keep Psycho Cut: criticals help. Just use Close Combat more frequently.

I'd keep Psycho Cut + Night Slash as well. Just focus on using STAB-moves wherever possible. Zen Headbutt misses too much for that slight power boost (what's it like 10 more power and 20 less accuracy?)

He has a really good attack stat, and you should be able to clean up whatever doesn't die on the first turn by getting first attack on the next turn. Just try not to sweep with it too much, they're best used when you lose a pokemon and can switch in freely to finish off people who don't expect you to get first attack.

Kinda what I did with Scarf Leafeon, despite obvious criticism it worked extremely well.

Get rid of Psycho Cut and slap both Fire Punch and either Ice Punch or ThunderPunch. So run Close Combat, Fire Punch, Night Slash, Ice Punch/ThunderPunch. Chose between the two punches depending on what coverage the rest of your team has. If you're flooding with Ice Beamers, go for ThunderPunch. And Choice Scarf is a good idea for an item, it'd need that to outspeed ScarfTran and others.

It's hardly worth removing a Psycho Cut for Fire Punch, Gallade doesn't get any type coverage for it, and loses a STAB move.

Keep Psycho Cut or change it for Zen Headbutt.

. Chose between the two punches depending on what coverage the rest of your team has. If you're flooding with Ice Beamers, go for ThunderPunch.

Problem is, I have no "rest of my team" and I have no idea what they will be. O.O

And I already have Choice Scarf, just forgot to update this.

It's hardly worth removing a Psycho Cut for Fire Punch, Gallade doesn't get any type coverage for it, and loses a STAB move.

Keep Psycho Cut or change it for Zen Headbutt.
Psychic has almost zero coverage, and Bronzong, Metagross, Scizor, Forretress and Jirachi say hi.

Psychic at least gets STAB, though, and it isn't resisted by a lot either.

A neutral Close Combat hits Bronzong, Metagross, and Jirachi for more than a super-effective Fire Punch. Scizor takes good damage from CC as well, although admittedly not as much as a 4x Fire Punch, but to be honest that Gallade will probably either be dead or switching out once that monster gets out. And it would probably be smarter if you had a special or mixed attacker to take down Forretress.

Back
Top Bottom