• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sunny Day team (Doubles)

Superbird

Fire emblem is great
Okay, so. I'm making a competitive Sunny Day team. Oh yeah, and it's for doubles.

ninetales @ Life-orb
Timid / <Drought>
252 Spd, 252 Def, 4 SAtk
~Will o' Wisp
~Heat Wave
~Hex
~Solarbeam

I'll scour the Dream World for one ten days from now. Anyhow, I'm iffy on this thing's EV spread, but the strategy for it should be fairly obvious. Burn, then Hex, and use Heat Wave and Solarbeam for better coverage and other attacking and stuff.

rotom-fire @ white-herb
Timid / <Levitate>
252 Spd, 252 SAtk, 4 HP
~Overheat
~Shadow Ball
~Discharge
~Dark Pulse / Volt Switch

This will be Ninetales' partner. I'm a little iffy on the whole Dark Pulse vs Volt Switch thing -- I'd love some advice on that.

Chandelure @ ???
Timid/Modest / <Flash Fire>
252 Spd, 252 SAtk, 4 HP
~Heat Wave
~Solarbeam
~Shadow Ball
~Calm Mind

Standard Chandelure, works well if Magmortar is out.

Tangrowth @ leftovers
Impish / <Chlorophyll>
252 HP 252 Def 4 Def
~Protect
~Power Whip
~Earthquake / Rock Slide
~Amnesia

I'm curious about this one. First, while it will probably work, I'm unsure what I should do with the EV spread. It's meant to be defensive, and Amnesia is to attempt to patch up its sub-par Special Defense if necessary. But should I do that, or is it a lost cause? - should I put more on the offensive front with Earthquake in one slot and Rock Slide in the other? (I picked going for physical damage because more coverage was available.)

Exeggutor @ Life-orb
Modest / <Chlorophyll>
252 Spd, 252 SAtk, 4 HP
~Solarbeam
~Psyshock
~Trick Room
~Sleep Powder

I've noticed Trick Roomers cramping my style. If I need to get rid of that, here this thing is. He's also a surprisingly good special sweeper in sun.

castform @ focus-sash
Timid / <Forecast>
252 SAtk 252 Spd 4 HP
~Blizzard / Ice Beam
~Fire Blast
~Sunny Day
~Thunderbolt

I really desperately needed something that could take down Dragons and yet still reside on a Sunny Day team. It also serves as a last-ditch effort to revive the Sun if it's gone and Ninetales has already fainted. Not sure whether to go with the slightly less powerful and only single-target Ice Beam or the I HAVE NO CHILD-accuracy blizzard.

Last edited:
Re: Sunny Day team

Why isn't Swords Dance an option? Probably derping here, but. Anyway, Shadow Sneak is a nice option on Shedinja since it's so slow, or Sucker Punch if you don't mind the prediction. Protect is also nice to scout the opponent. I'd recommend removing Night Slash for a priority move. Will-o-Wisp is fine, but if you find it's not working well for you, try Protect.

Leech Seed with Substitute is a great annoyance to opponents if they're facing a Cottonee. Encore is a great stall-breaker - switch in when a Pokemon sets up and priority-Encore the move.

As for other ideas, a spinner would be nice to keep Shedinja in the game should it have to switch out. It's also a shame not to be able to capitalize on the sun, so some things that benefit from it would be nice.

By the way, what tier are you looking to play in?

That is...a good idea. I like it.

Tier is preferably OU doubles, so yeah. Actually, I was going to use Swords Dance and then I found out it's unavailable in B/W.

EDIT: Added Cryogonal as a rapid spinner.

Last edited:

Maybe Leftovers on Cryogonal to keep it alive?

Not to familiar with Gen V items, or items in general, really.

Sunny Day + Crygonal's fire weakness may pose some problems. It's also weak to SR and, iirc (can't be arsed to check atm) weak physically. It's probably not an ideal choice for a spinner.

If you're dead set with Cryogonal as a spinner, then what Seeker said - Lefties is your item. Oh right, and max out HP before you invest any in the defenses, unless there's a certain spread you're looking for to survive certain attacks. Investing in HP first makes the Pokemon more durable overall.

Spinner...hmmm....
How about Torkoal?

Fire type
High Def
Access to RS
Still takes damage from SR, but could better live off an attack afterwards.
Benefits from the sun more effectively.

True. Was thinking about possible Ice coverage, though, and...wait, I really don't need that do I.

So now we have Torkoal. Anyhoo. Should I use Rock Slide/Stone Edge in the missing spot or should I use a defensive move? I should think the latter is a better idea, but I really can't seem to find much that would work, other than just making the thing a tank altogether with Curse,etc.

Last edited:

I would suggest filling Torkoal's third slot with either Curse or Shell Smash. Myself, I would believe that Shell Smash would help more. It lowers both Defences, which Torkoals are generally high in. It also raises Speed, which, in my experience, Torkoals lack, and also raises both Attacks, which will give a power boost to your other moves.

Shell Smash looks tempting, but don't. Even with the doubled speed, Torkoal is outsped by many Pokemon and will be easily revenged due to its lowered defenses.

I'd suggest Rapid Spin, Yawn, and Lava Plume, with the last slot with whatever you want. Torkoal can't take full advantage of Curse, though, with its lack of physical fire moves, so I wouldn't recommend that... Stealth Rock? Explosion? Earthquake, or Stone Edge? Protect for extra lefties recovery? Eh, I dunno.

You may want to consider a Wisher if you find Torkoal dies too easily due to lack of reliable recovery, but for now not sure if it's needed.

I hate to suggest this, but it'd have to be made in DPPtHGSS:

Togekiss w/

Wish
Air Slash
Heat Wave

It'd be deathly worth it, and it'd benefit from the up sun

You'll also need a second sun runner, just in case Whimsicott dies with the sun.

You could make that a Nasty Plot Wisher Togekiss. Flying and fire coverage has something to be desired though, so maybe tweak with a few moves, or not use Nasty Plot at all?

Whimsicott is now ready except it needs a Sun Stone and a Heat Rock, and Torkoal is in progress. Also, added possible other members of the team.

Sunny Day teams usually emphasize on hitting fast and hard, and Torkoal is a poor wall, sorry. I would recommend using either Infernape or Blaziken (if the latter is legal with Speed Boost) with strong attacks like Flare Blitz and FireBlast. Also, wtf no Chlorophyll users? There's no point in making a sunny day team with no Chlorophyll sweepers. Growth Venusaur and Tangrowth are good choices, Victreebel and Lilligant are interesting too.

Superbird said that it's less based off of sun and more based off of getting rid of other weather, presumably for Shedinja to succeed. So Whimsicott would probably do better with Lefties rather than Heat Rock. That said, it'd be nice to take advantage of the sun even more. I don't see why you'd need Whimsicott if you have Drought Ninetales, and if you have Drought Ninetales you may as well transform this into a full-on sun team. If you don't want that, replace with Infernape.

If you are set on Ninetales, consider Choice Scarf (excellent revenger with Overheat), or perhaps Overheat + Power Swap.

If the sun is out, Metagross probably won't be taking fire attacks well even with the Occa Berry. Additionally, Bullet Punch is a wonderful move to have on any Metagross.

Of the Chlorophyll users, Venusaur is the most balanced, with good defenses and a workable sp. atk stat. Tangrowth is a good attacker and quite tanky, especially with Regenerator. Lilligant has the powerful Quiver Dance which makes it a force to be reckoned with after just one turn of set-up, though it needs to rely on HP Fire for coverage and is pretty much walled by fire-types. Victreebel has Weather Ball and Sucker Punch, but it's generally inferior to the others due to its abysmal defenses, making it vulnerable to priority moves.

Ah, doubles.

Your team is very singles-oriented at the moment, though. Protect is an absolutely excellent move in doubles, and not a single one of your pokémon are carrying it. You don't have to worry about entry hazards; there's no point in having a spinner--so lose the torkoal, unless you plan on doing something else interesting with it. There's no point in having a heat rock on whimsicott--you're only using it for secondary sun defense anyway, and five actions is a long time in doubles.

In general your pokémon don't synergize well. Other people have pointed out that you're not really taking advantage of the sunny day, and that's certainly true, but there's more to it than that. What would be some combinations of pokémon you could lead with, for example? How does togekiss' moveset either protect shedinja or support your team in some other way? Your metagross murders half your team with earthquake, and the sun won't be kind to it. The team as it stands lacks focus and doesn't stand up well in a doubles environment. It gets murdered by rock slide, one of the most common moves in doubles. It's both a bit slow and a bit fragile. I would recommend you try and examine what exactly your team is trying to do, and how each pokémon on it contributes to meeting that goal. On the other hand, it may help just to get out there and play some doubles matches, since if you aren't very familiar with the environment you won't fully appreciate how different it is from singles.

Just a note-

While it certainly lacks earthquake's silly power, Bulldoze might be a viable option for your tangrowth. First, it doesn't hit your pokemon so it allows you to be a little more open and creative with your second pokemon out. Also, because it lowers their speed, you might be able to get a kill you couldn't have with earthquake. ( probably a rare case with that last one, but)

<updated> Well this is problematic.

Excuse me while I bang my head against a wall a few times for not realizing that Focus Sash Shedinja doesn't work.

So yeah, now I'm going to need new ideas for more members. Ninetales is going out first, without a doubt, so who is a good partner for it....

EDIT: Now is a full Sunny Day team. While I'm not too keen on the large amount of Fire-types, I think it'll work. Still would love input, though.

Last edited:
Focus Sash Shedinja only works the first time. Basically, I figured out the hard way that Focus Sashes count as consumables in that case.

Back
Top Bottom