• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

TCoD's Official Beta Reading Shop!

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it.
TCoD's Official Beta Reading Shop!

Here you can apply to be a beta reader, as well as apply to have your story read by a beta.​

-What is a Beta Reader?-

A beta reader is someone who reads written work while it is still in its draft form. According to fanfiction.net, a beta reader is "a person who reads a work of fiction with a critical eye, with the aim of improving grammar, spelling, characterization, and general style of a story prior to its release to the general public."

General Rules and Guidelines:
  • Any communication between beta readers and their clients should be done through external means AND NOT THROUGH THIS THREAD; either through PM, EMAIL, or other means.
  • All TCoD rules apply.
  • That's it for now, since this is still in its testing phase.
-Applying for a Beta Reader-

It's easy, just fill out the form below and post it in this thread to have your fic placed on the list of stories awaiting to be picked up by a beta reader. When your story has been picked up by a beta reader you'll be informed; either by me, this thread, or by the beta reader.

Title of Story:Obvious
Fandom: If it's a fanfiction.
Plot summary: What is your story about?
Genre: Obvious
Writing sample of story: Just a paragraph or two.
Other: Anything else.

Think of it like ASB challenges, you apply to be a client, a beta reader is interested and accepts, you tell me so I can take it off the list.

A few notes:
  • It is HIGHLY SUGGESTED that you proof read your work before handing it over to your beta reader. It saves time, and keeps the beta reader sane.
  • Any advice given to you by a beta reader is just that; advice. If you disagree with your mentor you don't have to do what they say. Bring it up with your beta reader if you're having issues, or you can request a new one.
  • Patience. Beta readers are volunteers, and they have their own lives. On the other hand if you haven't heard from your reader in a considerable amount of time, or they aren't responding, bring it up with me and I'll step in.
  • Beta readers have the right to refuse to beta read any story. Don't bug beta readers to accept your story; no means no.​
-How to Become a Beta Reader-

To apply to be a beta reader you can fill out the form below and post it in this thread.​

Name: Obvious
Preferred method of contact: How do you want a client to contact you?
Examples of writing: Obvious
Beta Bio: Describe your style and what you look for while beta reading
Examples of reviews/beta-reports: (At least one example requested, other sites ok)Strengths/weaknesses (optional):

A few notes:
  • If you are going to be unavailable for any reason please notify me so I can change your 'status'. You should also notify any of your current clients.
  • Don't bite off more than you can chew. Beta reading can at times be a lot of work.​
  • What happens in a beta read, stays in a beta read. It's like Las Vegas... sort of.​
If any forum staff or officials have questions or ideas, feel free to tell me.​

-Active Beta Readers-

Name: Phantom
Preferred method of contact: PM
Application

Name: yiran
Preferred method of contact: PM or Skype or Email
Application

Last edited:
Re: Beta Readers

-Clients Awaiting Beta Readers-

Title of Story: Uncertainty is the Normal State
Author: Viki
Fandom: Suikoden
Plot summary: See Application
Genre: Humor
Application

Title of Story: Those That Came Before
Author: Phantom
Fandom: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
UPDATE: ACCEPTED BY BETA

Title of Story: The Cloud Capped Towers
Author: Lorem Ipsum
Fandom: Original work
Plot summary: The main character, Cysagh, is given a diamond to give away as a tribute to the king. When he discovers its true provenance however, his life is turned upside down as he seeks to stop a deadly war, creating a revolution in the process. But as he goes about his task with the help of the mysterious Perioc, dark forces are at play.
Genre: High fantasy
Application

Last edited:
Re: Official Beta Reading Thread

Name: Phantom
Preferred method of contact: PM
Examples of writing: (From my fanfic "Retribution")​

Faster than thought, Kadan dropped his crossbow and drew his long sword, turning the unsheathing of the weapon into a lightning strike that slid between a man's ribs and out again like he was made of parchment. Spinning, he lashed out savagely, his blow smashing the shield of a foe before snaking past his guard and putting him to eternal rest.

Kadan unleashed the warrior within him, blade ripping into bodies and carving easily through flesh and bone again and again. He fought like a soldier; steady on the ground, striking heavy vicious blows that unbalanced an opponent before finishing him and moving to the next enemy. The mud on his armor became mixed with blood, and the two were washed together by the pouring rain, causing the horrible mix to drip from him.

Blocking a strike he rammed his blade up to the hilt in an enemies belly, kicking him off and turning to another foe, laying into him with savage skill. The man fell back, his sword arm just a stump, before Kadan's blade took his head off.

Beta Bio: When I beta read/review I usually don't focus completely on grammar. I'll only point out obvious mistakes that can hinder readers from experiencing the story in full. I will focus more on your story and character development rather than if you used a comma incorrectly. I think that learning from mistakes is one of the best ways to learn.​

That being said I still read through material given with speed and a personal touch. I am willing to help you along with your story in any way possible, whether it be helping you with new ideas, or helping a writer word something on paper.​

Examples of reviews/beta-reports: I can't supply any at the moment. I'm in the middle of all my beta reads, and I don't want to release any info pertaining to my client's stories.​

Strengths/weaknesses (optional):

Strengths: Taught Creative Writing 2+ years; Lore; Combat Mechanics; Basic Grammar and Spelling; Story Planning.​

Weaknesses: Typos are my worst enemy. I don't have a home internet connection, but I do go online every day via my mobile.​

Last edited:
Re: Official Beta Read Thread

Er... What if you haven't actually done any real writing or beta-ing? Would it still be okay to apply?

Title of Story: Uncertainty is the Normal State
Fandom: Suikoden
Plot summary: ... that's most of why I'm posting
Genre: humour. I guess.
Writing sample of story: this is a subplot but
Sometimes, Ted hates his life. That is a lie: 'sometimes' implies he stops. But after the fourth time he collapses in a bush after a losing battle with a pack of bonbons and lands on a picnic basket (he's fine until one gets close enough to hit him, and then he hurts in places he didn't know he had, and after the seventh time he discovers more places to injure, he's rather impressed), he's worked up a good and proper rage.

The basket's a loss, but the contents -- a banana and a ham sandwich -- look fine. ... Ted is not sure why there is a banana. It's not as though he's ever seen one in person before; the climate's all wrong for them. But other than the banana being a banana, they look fine, and anyway it's not as though he's eaten anything since the pot of rabbit stew he tripped over yesterday.

... Ted hates his life.
Other: :<

Last edited:

^Before I add you to the list, do you have a title or anything yet, Viki? Would you mind filling out the form? Pretty please? It just makes things look like I bothered to organize things.

Title of Story: (May Change) Those That Came Before
Fandom: Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Plot summary: While Percy is cleaning out the Oracle's attic he finds a file labeled 1941-1945. The file contains the story of an unclaimed demigod who fought against the tide of evil in WWII.
Genre: Adventure?
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG-13
Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive/any
Writing sample of story:
Now he was almost eighteen, and Jacob was terriffied. Once he and Erick were eighteen they would be cast away from the Camp, too old to be campers they would be sent into the world. It was a sad thing and pretty uncommon since many demigods hardly make it to puberty. He would be eighteen in three days, Erik in two

Luckily the monsters were more attracted to what was going on in Europe. The Nazi war machine had invaded Poland and started a war. Most people didn't know it, but it was a war of the gods. Adolf Hitler, a son of Hades, lead the Nazis, he not only has tanks and soldiers, but monsters as well.

As they got closer they could see that everyone was surrounding the radio, a gift from Hermes to the Camp. They dropped their gear and came in to listen, the voice was none other that Franklin D. Roosevelt himself, they'd heard him on the radio a dozen times before, "Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan. "
Other: I'd like to think that I'm an experienced writer, and this isn't my first fanfic.

Last edited:

Preferred method of contact: PM or Skype or Email, I don't mind

Examples of writing: Check my signature... But whatever here's an excerpt from Broken Smile if you're lazy.

And then I remember what I’m here for. And the events that came before it.

When Mum told me to go and hunt this morning, I tried my best to change her mind to afternoon instead. Instead, she told me I needed to be able endure the heat. Well, I don’t particularly see what use that will have, but I did so anyway, because parents are always right… Now I know that it was a mistake. Being hot is a really unpleasant experience.

So the instant I spot a tree in the distance, I hurry over to it.

Beta Bio: I have no idea. I pick up on all sorts of things, including spelling, grammar, word choice, characterisation, plot points, setting, etc. I don't excel at one particular point but I don't think I have any notable weaknesses, either. I can either be nice or critical. Tell me beforehand which one you want me to be (if you don't I'll just be nice).

Examples of reviews/beta-reports: Review for Clouded Sky, Chapter 1
The process of revealing a "guide" as a "trainer" is executed excellently, slowly revealing details. The description is appropriate, not overly extravagant nor too brief. Personally, I didn't like it that much, but that's just because I don't really like reading descriptions; other people probably find it about just right. The introduction of the setting is also handled well, as it is mixed within events to keep the reader from getting bored. The writing is also filled with varied sentence structures and sophisticated vocabulary. (Meh, I feel like I'm analysing in English class. I'll try and be more colloquial, but it's hard when the piece itself is so formal.)

The tone of the piece is quite serious, with various language techniques; this sets the tone as rather serious, which it stays true to (at least in this chapter). However, there are places where it makes me feel kind of weird, such as "as unaccompanied to adventure as a Torkoal to swimming". The simile itself is fine but the way it is worded is quite unnatural. Even though the piece is written in third-person, the narrating tone should also somewhat reflect Tobias's personality, especially since it shows his thoughts.

There is an excess of names made out of two real words put together (forgot the term for it); "True-alder", "First-seed", "Bark-down", "Summer-blossom", etc. Even "Way-tar" is the same even though that's probably not what it means. I'd suggest more variety in names – unless there's a reason for the weird names, of course. :/

In the line "Next up was Don Summerblossom (a name that had forced him to endure no end of torment at school.)", the full stop should be placed outside the brackets as the sentence should be correct when the bracket-ed parts are removed; only when the brackets are placed outside of a sentence should it end with a full stop inside it.

You also probably spelt "mischief" wrong in the line "Michief and a sunny disposition. Congratulations, Marcus Deepriver, you are now a pokémon guide."

Nice cliffhanger. Although I wouldn't really expect a farm boy to say something like "Show yourself!"

As a sidenote, why do you not capitalise "pokémon"?

I might as well. Great idea, by the way, Phantom!

Title of Story: The Cloud Capped Towers

Fandom: Original work

Plot summary: The main character, Cysagh, is given a diamond to give away as a tribute to the king. When he discovers its true provenance however, his life is turned upside down as he seeks to stop a deadly war, creating a revolution in the process. But as he goes about his task with the help of the mysterious Perioc, dark forces are at play.

Genre: High fantasy

Writing sample of story:

Other: This is a high fantasy novel and not any fanfiction. I like to think I'm reasonably good, but obviously that would be for the beta to decide!

Thank you! And you're added to the list awaiting a beta!

Preferred method of contact: PM or Skype or Email, I don't mind

Examples of writing: Check my signature... But whatever here's an excerpt from Broken Smile if you're lazy.

And then I remember what I’m here for. And the events that came before it.

When Mum told me to go and hunt this morning, I tried my best to change her mind to afternoon instead. Instead, she told me I needed to be able endure the heat. Well, I don’t particularly see what use that will have, but I did so anyway, because parents are always right… Now I know that it was a mistake. Being hot is a really unpleasant experience.

So the instant I spot a tree in the distance, I hurry over to it.

Beta Bio: I have no idea. I pick up on all sorts of things, including spelling, grammar, word choice, characterisation, plot points, setting, etc. I don't excel at one particular point but I don't think I have any notable weaknesses, either. I can either be nice or critical. Tell me beforehand which one you want me to be (if you don't I'll just be nice).

Examples of reviews/beta-reports: Review for Clouded Sky, Chapter 1
The process of revealing a "guide" as a "trainer" is executed excellently, slowly revealing details. The description is appropriate, not overly extravagant nor too brief. Personally, I didn't like it that much, but that's just because I don't really like reading descriptions; other people probably find it about just right. The introduction of the setting is also handled well, as it is mixed within events to keep the reader from getting bored. The writing is also filled with varied sentence structures and sophisticated vocabulary. (Meh, I feel like I'm analysing in English class. I'll try and be more colloquial, but it's hard when the piece itself is so formal.)

The tone of the piece is quite serious, with various language techniques; this sets the tone as rather serious, which it stays true to (at least in this chapter). However, there are places where it makes me feel kind of weird, such as "as unaccompanied to adventure as a Torkoal to swimming". The simile itself is fine but the way it is worded is quite unnatural. Even though the piece is written in third-person, the narrating tone should also somewhat reflect Tobias's personality, especially since it shows his thoughts.

There is an excess of names made out of two real words put together (forgot the term for it); "True-alder", "First-seed", "Bark-down", "Summer-blossom", etc. Even "Way-tar" is the same even though that's probably not what it means. I'd suggest more variety in names – unless there's a reason for the weird names, of course. :/

In the line "Next up was Don Summerblossom (a name that had forced him to endure no end of torment at school.)", the full stop should be placed outside the brackets as the sentence should be correct when the bracket-ed parts are removed; only when the brackets are placed outside of a sentence should it end with a full stop inside it.

You also probably spelt "mischief" wrong in the line "Michief and a sunny disposition. Congratulations, Marcus Deepriver, you are now a pokémon guide."

Nice cliffhanger. Although I wouldn't really expect a farm boy to say something like "Show yourself!"

As a sidenote, why do you not capitalise "pokémon"?

Your application has been accepted, and you are free to accept works to beta read. Keep me updated when you accept a fic.

Back
Top Bottom