• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress The Longest Road

Spatz

Egahds, I've been gone a long while!
Chapter 1

The Begining to Every Story...​

Walks-Long-Roads awoke with a start and looked around. He was now sitting in a bed in a run-down shack, holes in the roof and little protection from nature. Blinking several times he remembered where he was and what had happened the prior day.

Walks had been crossing the border from Cyrodiil to Skyrim as part of his travels, and had essentially been in the wrong place at the wrong time when an Imperial ambush had hit him as well as number of soldiers that had identified themselves as Stormcloaks, some sort of patronage to their leader, Ulfric Stormcloak. He had been hit from behind and the next thing he knew he was at a Imperial keep by the name of Helgen, as well as a number of soldiers and Ulfric himself. After he was called in line to be identified he was set free, as he was known by a soldier as a wandering hunter, not actually his profession, but he didn’t argue, and had departed Helgen, only to see the village under attack by a great black flying lizard. Walks made a quick decision to help evacuate the village as the beast attacked, and a half-hour later the surviving members of the Imperials, as well as the civilians, were making their way to Falkreath on a wagon.

Walks had caught sight of a formidable Elk not long after and followed it for the better part of three hours before an opportunity to kill it was made. After securing the usable meat, antlers, and hide of the animal, Walks had properly disposed of the carcass, the knowledge of the Foxes and Wolves that would later consume the remains lingered favorably in mind. He had eventually found a cabin, the one he was now sitting in, a couple hours later, and having found no owner he decided to make use of it.

Walks sighed, he knew it had been a long day yesterday, and felt he would prefer to relax in a tavern by the afternoon. Walks slid out of bed, his legs feeling somewhat cramped as he stood.

“Xuth!” Walks cursed, “Why is it that the legs must be so tense after a good night’s sleep?” Walks put on his shirt, a wool reinforced shirt of earthy tones, a knapsack over both shoulders, his sheath over his right shoulder, and his sword at his hip. “There had better be a warm bed in Whiterun,” Walks grumbled as he exited the cabin, the new sun sitting low on the eastern horizon.

Last edited:
Good job so far. I found some things that might want to be looked at... maybe.

He had been hit from behind and the next thing he knew he was at a Nordic village by the name of Helgen, as well as a number of soldiers and Ulfric himself.

Helgen isn't actually a Nordic village. It's an Imperial keep, basically a castle with a village inside, within the hold of Falkreath.

After he was called in line to be identified he was set free, as he was known by a soldier as a wandering hunter, not actually his profession, but he didn’t argue, and had departed Helgen, only to see the village under attack by a great black flying lizard. Walks made a quick decision to help evacuate the village as the beast attacked, and a half-hour later the surviving members of the imperials, as well as the civilians, were making their way to Falkreath on a wagon.

Technically only a few survived Helgen. The Dragonborn, Ralof/Hadvar, Ulfric, and the little boy. So unless the story changed for your fic, that's cool.

'imperials' should be capitalized. Just noticed, lol.

“Xuth!” Walks cursed, “Why is it that the legs must be so tense after a good night’s sleep?” Walks put on his shirt, a wool reinforced shirt of earthy tones, a knapsack over both shoulders, his sheath over his right shoulder, and his sword at his hip. “There had better be a warm bed in Whiterun.” Walks grumbled as he exited the cabin, the new sun sitting low on the eastern horizon.

Love the use of an actual Black Marsh curse. Also for dialogue you should change

“There had better be a warm bed in Whiterun.” Walks grumbled as he exited the cabin, the new sun sitting low on the eastern horizon.

to

“There had better be a warm bed in Whiterun,” Walks grumbled as he exited the cabin, the new sun sitting low on the eastern horizon.

Otherwise a good start. Curious, is your character Dragonborn?

Otherwise a good start. Curious, is your character Dragonborn?

No he is not, it makes a little more free for a character's story if he's not restricted by the game's story. Also I had not known that about Helgen (Imperial Keep) but given the number of homes I have to assume that there was more survivors, and the dragonborn never actually had much a chance to see them as s/he escaped through the keep.

EDIT: Chapter 2

Chapter Two
A New Road, a New Adventure

Walks had crossed the river that had been flowing nearby at a shallow point and saw Riverwood in the distance. A small lizard grin spread across his face at the sight of civilization, and he began walking at a slightly quickened pace. It didn’t take long to get to the small village, and no one seemed to notice the new-comer. Walks noticed that there were a few guards dressed in a yellow tunic over a fine set of chainmail patrolling the area, and found comfort in the knowledge that the news of the attack on Helgen had reached the Jarl of the hold. Walks made his way to the Riverwood Trader, and entered the small shop to find that the co-owners were arguing over something.

“No, there will be no theatrics, and no pursuit, we are but simple shop keeps, not swords for hire. We cannot just go gallivanting after those thieves, even if they did steal something that valuable.” The older male stated, his arms folded and having taken no heed to the door having opened and the Argonian standing in the doorway.

“So what, we just let it go? Our family treasure just gone and we’ll do nothing.” The younger female retorted, with an expression of disbelief.

“We could always report the theft to one of the guards…”

“To what purpose, they wouldn’t go after them either; they have to protect the village in case of a dragon attack!” Walks began to grow impatient with the argument, and cleared his throat in a loud manner.

“If I may be so bold, what is it that you are arguing about?” Walks asked the man behind the counter.

“Oh, sorry ‘bout that friend. Me and my sister were in a disagreement about what to do about our stolen item, a dragon claw made from pure gold. She’s insisting that we go after it, but I see no sense in getting ourselves killed over it.” The sister had stomped her foot grumpily and proceeded upstairs, but Walks paid little attention to this.

“Well, I could see to retrieving the item when I get the time.” Walks replied, “Now, how about we do some business.”

After about ten minutes of haggling and bartering, Walks left the store about three hundred septims richer. Walks looked around; he hadn’t actually seen what services were available in the village apart from the general trader. He saw that across from the store was a blacksmith, and further up the road was an inn. Sitting on a small spit of land across a small wooden bridge was a mill, just beyond the blacksmith. Walks nodded to himself as he got it memorized, and found a bench to sit on. He then pulled out a small book, bound in black leather, as well as a piece of charcoal, and began recording what he knew of the area within.

After about an hour, Walks closed the book, and placed it back in the pouch at his side. With a small sigh, he got up, and continued his way along the road, a small map in hand. The trail winded around the river, and proceeded downhill beside a small waterfall, with a fork that went up to the old ruins that lay on the mountain opposite Riverwood. Walks continued his way to Whiterun, passing by the number of farms that lay outside of the large city. Suddenly a terrible odor met Walks’ nose, and he scrunched it in disgust, searching for the source of the odor, only to find the corpse of a giant lying in an unglorified manner off the side of the road, opposite that of the farms. Walks realized that there were alchemical properties to Giant’s Toes, and despite his nose, cut off a few, quickly shoving them in a small sack.

“Ugh! What a horrid odor, how do they live in such an uncleanly manner?” Walks complained to himself with an expression of disgust as he made his way up to the gates of the city, “Xuth, I hope I never find myself doing that again.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom