• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Obsessive Scribblers Awards Night

Arylett Charnoa

Barely existent.
Pronoun
It is a dark and lovely night… stars twinkling beautifully overhead. But why are you looking at the stars? Before your eyes stands a colossal orgasm of light. And I mean COLOSSAL. (And orgasm. And uh… light! It's... really really bright, okay?) Then you see it… a large rainbow-coloured building, a red carpet rolled out in front of it. Merely gazing upon it is blinding your poor sensitive corneas, the rainbow colour itself seems to glow vividly even in the night, outshining those pathetic stars who think they can compete. A strange assortment of people, creatures, and even inanimate objects are standing in front of the building’s eccentrically coloured doors, waiting for them to open… you join the crowd, smiling excitedly to yourself as you look up and see at the top of the building, a large colourful sign with the following words:

OScarsBanner.png

Just as you finish reading, the doors suddenly BURST open, and a rather short young woman dressed in a fancy red dress with insanely curly dark hair comes out. She looks over the crowd, for some reason a serious look on her face for a moment, then pulls out a large megaphone that seems to be… made out of… a dark curly substance very much resembling her hair...

OKAY EVERYONE, HUSH THE CARK UP, THE LETT IS SPEAKING!

…Erm…. I mean…

Welcome, one and all, OSers! I’m Arylett Dawnsborough, your rather lazy and incompetent host for these events tonight. Anyways! You didn’t come here to hear me rambling about rainbow marshmallows and stuff, did you? You came here for a show, a big grand ol’ show honouring us, the Obsessive Scribblers!

Pretty much, the OScars are sort of like an art contest, with artists only in the Obsessive Scribblers Club allowed to submit art. If you wanna join in the Awards Night, though, you’re more than welcome to join the OSers and THEN come into the contest.

This contest though is a bit different, as there is no true “winner”, rather, there are several different divisions that people can win awards in, known as categories. People will submit their artwork, which will be based on the Theme of the OScars (also listed later), and then get their pieces nominated for the categories by various voters. Although only OS members are allowed to submit art, anyone can vote to nominate members. After all the pieces are nominated, then the pieces in each category will be voted on once again. Whichever piece in a single category gets the most votes wins the award (which is a little trophy drawn by yours truly with the winners’ name plastered on it and ALSO a critique on your artwork also from me with some commentary) for that category. As with nominating, anyone can also vote on the pieces they think most matches the category.

RULES AND PROCEDURES:
|||||||||||

Now, if we’re gonna have lots of dancing crazy fun though, we gotta have… a system, yeah? How is this thing gonna even work? Simple! Just listen to these rules and procedures and hopefully, things should jel right on up:

1.) Registration: To participate in the OS Awards Night, simply post stating that you wish to do so and I will add your name to the List of Participants.

2.) Submitting Round: Participants must submit their pieces (which I would highly encourage that they title so as not to make things confusing) in the thread, which must be related to the theme, by the Art Submission and Registration Deadline. Also, after this deadline, as it pretty much says, registration for the OS Awards Night are CLOSED and pretty much anything not submitted is not eligible to be nominated or win an award.

3.) Nomination Round: After all that icky deadline stuff is over with and all the pieces are submitted, that is when Nomination Round starts. All pieces that have been submitted will be nominated for various categories. People will post in this thread saying the name of the piece they wish to nominate, the username of the artist, and what category. (Ex: I wish to nominate Blah Blah by Jimmerson Frankington for the Best Shading category) They can also feel more than free to add additional comments and play along in the whole awards thing, ahaha. However, things must be nominated by yet another icky deadline, yes, the Nomination Deadline, which I will edit in when such a time comes. Participants, note, ARE allowed to nominate and vote, but they cannot nominate or vote on their own pieces. Also, you may nominate the same piece for more than one category, but only a maximum of three categories.

4.) Voting Round: When everything is nominated, the pieces that are not nominated for anything will not progress to the next round and sadly will not have any further chance to win any awards. (I would recommend that everyone at least TRY to nominate everything. Don't want people to come all this way and put in all that effort for their work not to get at least nominated.) Those that ARE nominated though, will progress to the Voting Round. What will happen here is a lot like the Nomination Round; those who wish to vote will submit their vote with whichever categories they wish to vote for and then which ONE of the pieces (with the name of the artist again and the name of the piece) in each category they think is most worthy to win the award for that category in the thread. Oh and yes, there is a Voting Deadline as well which all votes must be done by.

5.) Awardings: Then finally comes the actual Awards in Awards Night. After all the votes are tallied, I will be announcing who has won what awards and presenting them with their trophies as well as the critique/commentary on their pieces. I will be doing this one at a time though, and will not announce the winners all at once mostly to increase suspense and drama. Like a real Awards Show!

6.) And that’s it! One important thing to note though… have FUN! It is highly encouraged that you get really into it, and you can make it really crazy and pretend like you're actually in an awards show. I know I'll be doing it. So bring out your fanciest tuxes! Or dresses! Or robes! Or if you're not human... then bring your fur and scales and whatever!

If there are any questions or confusion regarding rules and procedures, do not hesitate to ask me either in thread or some other form of messaging and I will hopefully clarify your concerns.

As the curly haired woman finishes her elaborately worded shouting, you vaguely wonder how on Earth she could shout so much for such a long time… oh well. She steps back and grins widely, and everyone shuffles into the beautifully decorated hall also with a long carpet, this one rainbow like the outside of the building, which spans a single aisle inbetween the various psychedelically coloured… bean bags? Hey... where are the chairs? Nobody else seems to question it, however, and they all go to sit down in the beanbags. You look up for a moment and a top level, a large balcony that circles around the vast domed room, presumably housing the higher seats. Many Christmas-like lights of all colours and festive dark, Halloween themed decorations also seem to be draped around this balcony, your eyes noting a rather ridiculous rainbow ghost smiling. You sit down and look up the aisle, seeing a large stage with a podium and microphone at which this… Arylett person is standing. She makes a hand motion and a large plain board suddenly comes dropping down, landing atop her foot. Ignoring Arylett’s many cursings and tantrums, you read the board:

INFORMATION:
|||||||||||

Theme:

|| OS Group Pictures Halloween Style ||
It is your mission, should you chose to accept this horrendously cliched phrase, to draw a minimum of three OS members in a Halloween-style scene. You are, of course, very encouraged to go over the bare minimum. Whether in costumes, or in a Halloween situation, it must relate to the holiday of Halloween somehow whilst still involving OSers.

For your convenience, here is a Reference List of most OSers’ personas. (Anyone who hasn’t still submitted their persona, there’s still time! Please do so in the regular club thread so that we can add you to the list.)

Categories:

|| Best Shading ||
Shading shows the depth of an object, and is rather important in presenting a realistic image. This category embodies how well light-sources were depicted in the piece. How good the shading and highlights look, if they look realistic, etc.

NOMINEES:
A Very OS Halloween by Zora of Termina (Votes: 3)
First Annual OScars by Mini Moonwalker (Votes: 1)

|| Best Anatomy ||
What can you do when your legs look like pineapples and your heads look like cubes? This category shows how accurately the artist managed to capture basic anatomy. Things like good-looking hands, legs, and generally well-postured subjects in the piece would go here.

NOMINEES:
Halloween for the OS by Foamy (Blastoise)
First Annual OScars by Mini Moonwalker (Votes: 2)
Halloween OS by Saith (Votes: 4)

|| Most Rainbowgasmic ||
In other, more boring words, Most Colourful. It explodes with life and colour. This category displays how vivid the artist’s colours in their piece are, if the artist has used many bright, eye-catching colours that still manage to remain pleasing to the eye.

First Annual OScars by Mini Moonwalker

|| Best Background ||
Oftentimes, backgrounds are neglected. But a good background is just as important as a good foreground. In this category, the artist must display an interesting and generally detailed background that enhances the subjects in the foreground and adds to the picture.

A Very OS Halloween by Zora of Termina

|| Most Creative ||
Maybe you’ve got a bit of a… less than usual idea. Well, go for it! Creativity is also often key to good art. In this category, the piece must stand out from the others, present a unique and interesting idea that the others have not even dared to touch.

NOMINEES:
Linoone Went Trick-or-Treating. by Mai (dragonair) (Votes: 1)
OScars Base by Kinova (Votes: 2)
First Annual OScars by Mini Moonwalker (Votes: 1)
Halloween OS by Saith (Votes: 1)
Halloween for the OS by Foamy (Blastoise) (Votes: 1)

|| Most Entertaining ||
Sometimes it’s gotta have that style, that flair… that humor. In this category, the pieces that are most entertaining to look at, or those that are the funniest and amuse the most people, are the pieces that are sure to win top award.

NOMINEES:
Halloween for the OS by Foamy (Blastoise) (Votes: 1)
A Very OS Halloween by Zora of Termina (Votes: 3)
The OS goes Trick-or-Treating by Littlestream (Votes: 1)
OScars Base by Kinova (Votes: 1)

|| Fantastic Crammer ||
How many OS members have you managed to cram on a piece of paper (or a digital canvas)? A lot? Have you managed to capture some of the more obscure members? In this category, quantity is truly god. The artist who manages to get the most members in one picture is sure to win.

NOMINEES:
OScars Base by Kinova (Votes: 5)
The OS goes Trick-or-Treating by Littlestream (Votes: 1)

All right then… ow… everyone… damn thing… (You note that she is still wincing quite a bit and redfaced) Step right on up and sign up here. Just put your name on this menac- I mean… board, and you’ll be ready to go!

You walk towards the board slowly… could this be your one chance at winning a big flashy trophy?

|||||| THE PARTICIPANT’S LIST |||||

Halloween OS by Saith
First Annual OScars by Mini Moonwalker
Halloween for the OS by Foamy (Blastoise)
OScars Base by Kinova
Linoone Went Trick-or-Treating. by Mai (dragonair)
The OS goes Trick-or-Treating by Littlestream

|||||| *WINNERS* |||||

||Best Shading || - A Very OS Halloween by Zora of Termina

|| Best Anatomy || - Halloween OS by Saith

|| Most Rainbowgasmic || - First Annual OScars by Mini-Moonwalker

|| Best Background || - A Very OS Halloween by Zora of Termina

|| Most Creative || - OScars Base by Kinova

|| Most Entertaining || - A Very OS Halloween by Zora of Termina

|| Fantastic Crammer || - OScars Base by Kinova

This year's OScars are now over. Thanks to everyone who participated, and thank you for your patience!

Last edited:
Hm, are there any other categories to enter? Just one seems a bit limiting. :v Also creating a background for that sort of pic is sort of limiting; I can think of a few, but, well.

Hm, are there any other categories to enter? Just one seems a bit limiting. :v Also creating a background for that sort of pic is sort of limiting; I can think of a few, but, well.
You don't enter any categories and you don't really draw your piece for the specific intention of any of the categories. You're nominated into them via votage. Everyone just signs up, submits their pieces, and THEN they get nominated into the categories by the voters who decide what are the best traits your picture displays. So if your picture happened to have a good background, and some people think it does, they can chose to nominate it for that category. They just choose whoever's pictures happen to have great backgrounds out of the pool of selection that there is. And then after that, after several people are nominated, then they get voted for again and whoever gets the most votes in the category, in this instance, Best Background, wins the prize for that specific category.

@Everyone else: You're all added! Whoop dee doo, welcome to the OS Awards Night, strap on your rocket boots (...rocket boots?), and get ready to MAKE SOME MAGIC. (By a specific date! After that date, you can't make any magic and it makes me sad. >:)

@Da Z-Chick and Blast Toys: You guys are like, totally in to the MAX!

@Crazy Linoone: Well! Ninjaing a Lett... hmph! And I saw that! I saw you take that candy... I got my eye on you.

You don't enter any categories and you don't really draw your piece for the specific intention of any of the categories. You're nominated into them via votage. Everyone just signs up, submits their pieces, and THEN they get nominated into the categories by the voters who decide what are the best traits your picture displays. So if your picture happened to have a good background, and some people think it does, they can chose to nominate it for that category. They just choose whoever's pictures happen to have great backgrounds out of the pool of selection that there is. And then after that, after several people are nominated, then they get voted for again and whoever gets the most votes in the category, in this instance, Best Background, wins the prize for that specific category.

@Everyone else: You're all added! Whoop dee doo, welcome to the OS Awards Night, strap on your rocket boots (...rocket boots?), and get ready to MAKE SOME MAGIC. (By a specific date! After that date, you can't make any magic and it makes me sad. >:)

... No. Category as in 'group picture'. Since that is the only category we can enter.

... No. Category as in 'group picture'. Since that is the only category we can enter.
That's not a category. That's the theme. It can't really be changed because it's the entire theme of the OScars, the whole point of them is like to encourage people to make more OS group pictures and to honour the OS club in the first place. I apologize for misinterpreting your earlier question. ^^;

Well, no... that would make things very complicated. You see, there's already seven categories, and one of the categories, Fantastic Crammer, is entirely based on the theme. The reason also that there is only one theme is for the sake of consistency; so that all pictures have some sort of form of consistency. If there were multiple themes, it would make it difficult for people to compare all of the entries to one another to nominate them as well as vote for them, and further, I get the feeling that we're not gonna have a whole lot of entrants to warrant more than one theme.

Can I sign up now and very possibly pull out at the last minute later because I have a bunch of work? D:

I'ts unlikely, but I don't want to make the whole thing fall over because I didn't get a picture done.

@Dannichu: Sure! If you don't get it done, well, that's understandable. But hopefully you will. Welcome to the list. :3

@Ice: D'awww. Maybe later on, a space can open in your schedule. If not, you can always feel free to vote and stuff. Keep your paws off the free food

Am also super busy, but what's one more thing to do? I'll give it a go! c: Seeing all the group pictures at the end will be cool, too.

Back
Top Bottom