• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Vortex (sign-ups and ooc thread)

Ys_

Pronoun
They/Them
The Vortex
I've had this sort of idea for a while now, but I haven't really roleplayed in a while. This is meant to be a more laid-back RP though, so we'll see how it goes ^^
~
Story:

It's a normal day in your home world, or, that's to say, as normal as can be expected, but things have started to go awry. Small things at first, like short periods of time you can no longer recall, small quakes of the earth, a stray creature gone missing. Things you could explain away as absentmindedness or bad luck. But lately it's gotten worse. The short amount of forgotten time escalates to longer periods of blank. Rifts on the ground, typhoons at sea, more disappearances. You're getting anxious.

You begin to ask around, investigating the source of these abnormal events, but to your bewilderment, it seems as though no one else has noticed. This has been going for a week now and you no longer know what to do. When you return home that day, you find a letter on your doorstep with your name on it. As you open it, you see the following message.

If you want to save your world, you must let yourself fall into the Vortex.

There's no signature and nothing else that could indicate anything more than what the message says, but as you look to one side and another, hoping to see the sender of the letter, you notice something like a swirling tornado opening nearby, and you feel a pull towards it. You wonder if this is the Vortex the letter was talking about and if it matters.

You have a choice. Let yourself be pulled into the unknown, or try to fix your world on your own... And risk perishing along with it.
~
Premise:

Welcome to The Vortex! Ever had a character in mind for a roleplay but didn't get the chance to use it or the role play died before you got a chance to really develop your character? Well, this is a second chance for those forgotten characters. With a subplot for those who prefer one. I have ideas for that subplot but we, as the roleplayers, can build upon it.

This roleplay may be more character-driven than plot-driven, though, so keep that in mind. If you want to change some things about your character that's fine, but the idea is that they come from the world of the roleplay you were intending to use your character for. Also, if you want your character to try fixing things in their own world that's fine, but for this roleplay they somehow have to end up falling into it and getting sucked into a new world. And the idea is that this new world can have elements of the worlds being destroyed, but that's flexible.
~
Character Form
:
Name:
Gender (preferred pronouns if it applies):
Species:
Appearance (at least three sentences. You may use a picture but tell us if your character is like the pictures or has some modifications.):
Personality (at least three sentences):
Backstory (describe a bit about what they went through before the rp they were intended for, and a bit about what they went through in the rp if it applies):
Other: Anything else you might want to let us know about your character?
~
I'll make my own character form soon :)

Name: Jayde Valentina Starweather
Species: human!
Appearance:
Li2zyHTEh5_fLfGnTT18Ohb2Fn-jB_LFZ-UUF-H1830Ck6iJxWnet3JE5ZyBTxQ_2BelN_Vxnp275BadvRsrpAnb0wxWDehlSxykehnsDZEba48ZQihMeeEmWWWavW0WQmsnTeBj

Jayde has purple eyes, long, straight, grayish-black hair and pale skin. She’s short and skinny but healthy. She prefers using nice yet comfortable clothes, like leggings and comfy skirts.

Personality: Jayde Valentina’s approach to life could be summed up as careful. She prefers not to jump into a situation headfirst but rather observe and analyze, then think of a strategy. However, she’s able to react fast to a situation, it may just not be in the most optimal way. She is well-mannered and prefers making a good first-impression on others. At the same time, she expects others to behave the same way.

Backstory:
In her world, some humans are born with special abilities referred to as themes. Before she discovered hers, her father had wanted her to follow his footsteps in the military, providing weapons and technology for battle purposes. He was satisfied when she developed her abilities but less so when she joined a guild to stop crime, as it came against what he worked for. After only halfway through her first mission, things started to get weird and she ended up jumping into the Vortex...

Last edited:
post of...interest.

no clue what character im gonna use though

• Grin
Reactions: Ys_
Pretty interested, i'll see if i have time! If i do, i think i have a character.

Name: Emerald
Species: Hmm...
Appearance: 21 year old girl with loose purple shirt and a tight black leggings. She usually wears a mask that completely covers her eyes over her face. She has devil horns & cat ears (Gimme a break i was 11 when i made this character).
Personality: Very peppy and overexcited and tends to act all "evil" and stuff but in reality is not "evil" and it's just a role.
Backstory: one day, in the glorious and delightfully meta land of roleplay world, A young lady named Emerald simply existed and had silly shenanigans. Now one day, she discovered the "reverse world" and met evil demon emerald! Who was actually quite nice, and the exact opposite of Emerald in every way. Evil Demon Emerald soon become the glorious mayor of Roleplay town, but then people stopped coming to roleplay town so she spent sometime reflecting on her life in an airship.

The actual Emerald is now a copyrighted character (by me) so i will only be referencing her.

She also has a sidekick in the same "franchise" (not a franchise yet tho) as said copyrighted character but he'll show up from time to time.

Name: Judgey Spider
Species: Spider
Appearance:
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.25.25 AM.png
Personality: A trickster who just pops up out of knowhere
Backstory: Judgey spider is the last resident of roleplay town, and now spends his days on an airship.

And am i allowed to use characters that already exist, considering my 11 year old roleplay had a few of these?
Regardless, i think it should be fun to deconstruct and elaborate on this and make it actually interesting.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ys_
Yeah, sure, go ahead if you wanna ^^
Also, nice characters! You're in :3

It doesn't have to be a recycled character btw, that was just my idea since I wanted to develop some old OCs

Last edited:
Yes, no real restrictions, the plan is for it to be mostly sandbox anyway

Name: Lyle Anthony Reider
Species: Human Child
Appearance: Lyle A. Reider is a blond, long-haired, 5'4", white male. He has blue eyes, a thin and lean body, no deformities, not even freckles. While he carries his traits, he looks nothing like his father, and the description of his mother is almost the opposite of his.
Personality: An adventurous boy with an indefatigable spirit. Very athletic, compassionate, curious and attentive, quite unless spoken to. He is very behaved and disciplined. Not even when he was an infant did he ever defy his caretakers. Which of course was a source of worry for those who were in charge of his well-being.
Backstory: His father, Thane J. Reider, a renowned geneticist and roboticist, 'had a direct hand in his creation' as he likes to tell. Lyle has never met his mother, as he was told that she never lived with or even knew that Lyle existed. One has to wonder... how does a mother not remember their own child? Many times Lyle has found himself to be different than the other kids around him. He feels far more matured, intelligent, and determined than any other person around him, except for his own father. All this time, he's been told that it 'runs in the family', but right as he starts to learn the truth, the world around him begins to unfurl. Is this a dream? Or is he truly upon the precipice of finally uncovering his own origins?
Other: It is also important to mention that Lyle has never been critically injured, and even when he has found himself to be hurt, miraculously he barely suffers any trauma. Many times it has been stated that he is as hard as a rock, and falls like one too. However, his skin is flesh, and his muscle is fibrous. Who is to say he isn't a real boy...?

Last edited:
All right, I finished my form. It's in my first post. I'll post the ic thread later today or tomorrow and we'll start :)

Character Form:
Name: Loki
Gender (preferred pronouns if it applies): he/him
Species: Jotun/God
Appearance (at least three sentences. You may use a picture but tell us if your character is like the pictures or has some modifications.): 1602174959795.png <- this BAMF
Personality (at least three sentences): A trickster in every sense of the word, this god of mischief would definitely fit under the Chaotic Evil alignment in D&D. He tends to only help others if there's something in it for him. If he were imagined in the far off year of 2020 CE, he would get a kick out of stirring chaos online.
Backstory : Loki is blood brothers with the All-Father, Odin. He has helped his fellow gods in the past with his tricks and schemes. When the god of thunder, Thor's, mighty weapon, Mjolnir, was taken from Asgard by a frost giant and held for ransom (the ransom being that this giant wanted to marry the goddess Freya), he had Thor put on a dress and passed him off as Freya to the poor-sighted giant. Also Loki had commissioned Mjolnir and other great artifacts for the gods after a prank of shaving Sif( Thor's wife) bald, went horribly wrong. Also he is father to Fenrir the wolf, Hel (goddess of the underworld), and the world serpent Jormungandr. Also he's the mother of Odin's steed Sleipnir (but Loki doesn't like to talk about that). Loki's worst trick was his role in the death of Baldr, god of light. Baldr could only be harmed by one thing in the nine worlds: Mistletoe. Loki tricked Hodr, Baldr's brother (who is blind), into shooting Baldr with a dart made of mistletoe. Loki then disguised himself as a giantess, who was the one being in all the nine worlds that didn't weep for Baldr's death. After being tied down in a cave and having snake venom poured into his eyes as punishment (until recently, when he escaped because of a massive earthquake), Loki is prepared for the inevitability of Ragnarok.
Other: Anything else you might want to let us know about your char

Whoops, sorry, had to do other things and this rp slipped from my mind.

I do have one requirement, sorry for not being clear. I'd much rather you use your own creation, even if it's from a universe that already exists, or an alternate version of it. It can also be an alternate version of a character that already exists if you put your own spin into it and flesh your character out.

That said, kff, your app is currently denied. If you want to use Loki you can, but like I said, give him your own twist. Flesh him out a bit more. As of now, it reads like his generic mythological version.

Again, sorry for being unclear. Let me know once you make the changes. ^^

Edit: it's done! You can make your first posts, which can be your characters arriving to this new place, or their reactions to the world around them changing. You can make your own interpretation of it.

Also, what genre would you prefer? I was thinking a fantasy/mystery, but nothing is set in stone.

Last edited:
(OOC: What should i do?)
So, to flesh things out a bit more. There's a mysterious force that's twisting the bounds of reality, warping space and time in more than one universe/world, but presumably only certain people realize what's happening. Your character is one of those people. The force creates a sort of wormhole which I imagine looks like a tornado except instead of huge currents of wind spinning, it's space and time. You can imagine it the way you want it to. Anyway, the force takes everyone to a neutral world which I imagine similar to how the world looked in Interstellar in the beginning, or how Kansas looked like in the beginning of the Wizard of Oz. (but again nothing is set in stone xD) So your first post can be your character finding her way into the Vortex or fighting it if you want, or experiencing the warp.

Also, I imagined the warp to be caused by some form of outside manipulation, like an advanced world that invented a technology to travel to other worlds, but something went wrong. But that can be more deeply explored in the RP and we can work together to worldbuild.

Also I realized that sounded like sci-fi so that can be part of it too :)

Nice! Maybe he knows something ;)
BTW to answer your question, hmm. Maybe yeah, the same place or somewhere similar.

Anyway, I'll edit my first post to explain more of what's happening in this new world.

Oki, it's done. Dundundun...

E: OK I was thinking this could work somewhat like DnD, I can give you prompts and situations. Also, if you guys want we can work your backstories into the plot. My question is if you want to work on it together or privately with me? It can be more of a mystery that way, but either works for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom