• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

True Horror.

Automata heart

a skirt full of scamper and a head full of vodka
Hi. My name is Sakura, and I am writing a horror manga.:dead:
I only have a setting at the moment, so i was wondering if any of you guys and girls had any ideas. My setting is a disused mental hospital, or normal disused hospital.
so, have a go! but be warned i may use these ideas, but i will ask first!

Ehhh, that's not really horror, though...
You should go and watch every episode of Zero Punctuation to get ideas on how a horror should be done.
Though that's only for games, it's still the same principle.

Incorporate spiders. Those are scary. Maybe some freaky hallucinations of patients that begin coming to life!

Elfien Lied is a different kind of horror :p (as in horrible)

If you're doing horror manga, you should check out stuff by Junji Ito. All of his shit is creepy and horror-ful and yeah.. (Uzumaki is probably his most popular)

Junji Ito is a pretty wonderful guy, but I do find his stuff kind of dry after a while. I got pretty bored of Tomie. However, he does do horror pretty well -- he isn't presenting you with OH SCAAAARY things, you know, the cheap shitty jump scares.

If you want to know how to do horror well, find some good short fiction. I feel like those are often the best you can find. But let's be honest, EA Poe is boring as fuck and classic horror doesn't translate well anymore. Lovecraft does do some good stuff, but I feel like his short, elder god-free material doesn't go as far as it should. Most Dangerous Game is pretty nice, though likely not the horror you're looking for (read it anyway).

More up your alley for inspiration ... ah, of course. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Also play the game if you can find it, good stuff.

Oh, found you this. http://www.classichorrorstories.com/stories/stories.html Read. Some of them are pretty good -- lots of Lovecraft works on there, classics like The Monkey's Paw, Minister's Black Veil, etc.

Find the Yellow Wallpaper if you're going the madness route, I think.

Maybe try an excerpt of House of Leaves.

The thing is, horror is not in gore or flash fear. You don't need to have huge spiders or thousands of dead people everywhere to scare someone -- it kind of cheeses it up and dulls the end horror. I find the most effective horror is the lingering kind. The kind that takes something average and makes it scary, or that makes you afraid of something that could be there.

You know when you look at a picture of a long dark hall and expect something horrifying to show up, only realizing it's not a .gif after you've terrified yourself?

Gotta say though, the mental hospital thing is pretty tired. The anything hospital thing really.

Lemme see if I can find some good horror manga.

thank you everyone! i'm using t.v tropes, i watch zero punctuation every week, as well as Extra credit. i'm also using silent hill as insperation, i like its use of suspence. Verne, i'm going to read those storys you sent me, thank you heaps. i've actualy read alot of poe, and like the way he writes, but have only read a few all the way through, the black cat, and a few others. i'm using the hospital because i have spent alot of time there during my life, and i know them, and find them interesting. i also agree with you in the fact that horror is not gore. blood and guts don't scare as much as not knowing. firelord alex, i would use spiders, but, both can i not draw them, but i have cronic aracnaphobia, and they terify me. but i like your idea for hallucinations of patients coming to life. i've chosen its to be about a little girl who goes insane because of a twin telepithy thing...now i type it down it sounds trashy. anyone got a better idea?
thank you eveyone, and please continue to coment.
love and gosts,
sakura.

As far as horror goes, I'd suggest checking out visual novels like Saya no Uta or Chaos;Head. Just scratching the surface there, visual novels have proved to be a great vehicle for horror.

ketsu, wow, i'm a huge vocaloid fan and wide knowlage of the last madness gave me the idea to write this, as well as black and white ward. Storm earth and fire, thank you, if i can find them, i'll give them i read.

Back
Top Bottom