The Vice-President of DRAG Corporation put down the phone with a trembling hand and turned to the silent crowd in front of her. A bizarre collection of oddballs and misfits, indeed: several had been cowering in the corner all evening, refusing to interact with the other guests, while others had intimidated their conversation partners into silence with their uninhibited babbling. She arranged her expression into one of authoritative concern.
"I am reliably informed by my security detail that a credible threat has been made to detonate an explosive device. We believe that the device is already within the building, and that the perpetrators are guests at this very reception. The Bomber, whoever they may be, must not be allowed to execute their plan!"
The Vice-President paused for a moment to regain her composure, her eyes flicking around the room. Was it her imagination, or could she hear the sound of distant sirens making their way through the city to Flyc Avenue? But no - word of the attack could not possibly have spread to the outside world already. She was imagining things.
"Because our President's identity must be protected with the utmost secrecy, we cannot allow the municipal authorities to intervene. Instead, we will be following security procedure 2R1B, which instructs us to identify the conspirators through a game of social deduction. Please divide yourselves into two groups and convene at opposite wings of the building. Further information will be made available to you on your arrival."
The guests obediently filed out of the ballroom quickly and quietly, except for one small, shabby-looking gentleman dressed in green who had had rather too much to drink. She watched him stumble out, red-faced and yelling at the top of his voice in a thick incomprehensible accent, and locked the doors behind him.
The game was afoot.
~ * ~ * ~
- Everyone will be randomly assigned to one of two isolated rooms (private threads). You cannot communicate about the game outside of the room PMs.
- At the end of each of the 5 rounds, the elected Leader of each room will choose a number of hostages to send to the other room (which may not include the Leader themself).
- The Blue Team's win condition is for the President and the Bomber to be in different rooms at the end of the game. The Red Team's win condition is the opposite. Third party roles (also known as the Grey Team) have their own win conditions.
- Rounds will always start at 7pm UTC / 3pm EDT and will last for at least 24 hours each. At any time after that, each room's Leader can post their hostage selections, ending discussion in their room. There will then be a brief period of downtime while I prepare for the next round, during which the two Leaders can privately chat (in the "corridor") if they wish.
- Most roles allow you to incontrovertibly reveal your colour (alignment) or your full role at any time. You can do this by pasting the markup provided in your role PM into the room. Note that some roles explicitly forbid revealing.
- You must not falsify a role/colour reveal. That doesn't mean you can never fakeclaim or talk about other people's roles, but formal reveals in bold must always be truthful (unless your role says otherwise) and relate to your own role/colour.
- You can reveal your role/colour in private to other player(s) from your room, via PM. Please include me in the PM too. You must announce to the room if you do this, and you mustn't include any other private communication in the PM (except arranging role swaps with the Leprechaun).
- If you agree to privately trade your role/colour with another player, you must follow through with the deal - you can't wait for them to reveal theirs and then change your mind about revealing yours.
- This is an open setup. The full text of every role PM in the game will be listed in the next post.
~ * ~ * ~
As there are 14 players, the number of hostages exchanged at the end of each round will be as follows:
Round 1 - 3 hostages
Round 2 - 2 hostages
Round 3 - 2 hostages
Round 4 - 1 hostage
Round 5 - 1 hostage
Most of the game takes place in PMs, so it's quite difficult to spectate just by watching the main thread. If you feel inclined to spectate, let me know and I'll happily add you to both rooms.
Many thanks to Eifie for her advice in setting up the game!