• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Ubuntu and Wireless card

Diz

Overdosing on placebos
I've decided to install Ubunut on my hard drive, alongside Vista.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu won't recognize my wireless card, so it is basically useless without the internet. It's a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop, and I get internet through a wireless wifi network with our home desktop.

The wireless card is a built in Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card.

Does anyone have a solution?

I've looked in the trouble shooting, and it told me to turn off IVA6 or something, by editing a file. Strangely enough, the file I was supposed to change was not where the help file said it would be.

Goddamn I'm having this problem too, and I'm pretty close to just buying a new wireless card because nothing I've tried has worked. Mine's an atheros 9285 though.

What have you tried so far? ndiswrapper lets you use the windows drivers for wireless cards, but then that's a matter of whether or not ndiswrapper supports your card. I wish I could help more, but I can't figure my problem out either. :\

Goddamn I'm having this problem too, and I'm pretty close to just buying a new wireless card because nothing I've tried has worked. Mine's an atheros 9285 though.

You're looking for the atl1e driver, I think. I can't remember where I found it, search around a bit.

To both of you: run iwconfig from terminal, see if any devices are found. Or check in network tools if there's a wlan0 interface.

Well, in the trouble shooting thing, it has a link to NDISwrapper, but when I click it, a window pops up and says it can't be found.

I've tried running iwconfig, but I forget what it returns. Will look for the wlan0 as well. Just a minute.

Yeah, it says the network is disabled. Underneath that, it says that the logical name is wlan0.

I found this in the network tools:

Network device: wlan0
Hardware address: 00:23:4e:bc:c1:dc
Multicast: Enabled
MTU: 1500
Link speed: not available
State: Inactive
Transmitted packets: 0
Transmission errors: 0
Received packets: 0
Reception errors: 0
Collisions: 0

I have no idea how to make it active, either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom