• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

In Progress [Warriors] The Prophecy of Starlight

Darksong

Back in action!
Prologue

The moon was nearing half full, and right now looked like half an eggshell in the sky. The green eyes of a cat found their way up to face the moon, which flooded the clearing in a small amount of light. There were few crickets on this cold night of leaf-bare; white bits were beginning to fall from the clouds, landing coldly on the cat's gray pelt, causing her to shiver.

Something yowled out from the bracken on the edge of the clearing. "Leafshadow! Leafshadow, come quickly!"

The cat's ears pricked as she stared towards the voice, apparently from one of her Clanmates. As fast as her legs could carry her, she tore across the ground that was fading from white into brown and green speckled with the gray snowflakes, under the cover of the trees. She didn't notice anyone was there until she barreled into another cat, sending it rolling until it landed softly in some fern bushes.

"I'm sorry, Brackenclaw!" Leafshadow mewed, watching with her head down in a humble way as the brown cat shook itself off, then stepped towards her. Brackenclaw's shocked expression had become serious for a moment, but his eyes soon widened again to bring him back into the mood he was in previously.

"Leafshadow, did you bring herbs?"

The gray she-cat shook her head, but hastily asked, "What do you need?"

Brackenclaw cried alarmingly, "Spottedpaw has been bitten by a snake! We were hunting at Snakerocks, and the snakes weren't supposed to come out in winter, but --"

Leafshadow held up a paw to silence the warrior. Then she disciplined the black-and-white apprentice, without looking at him, "I told you not to--"

But when she glanced at him, she was too strangled to say any more. He was writhing in pain, his claws unsheathed, as if he was being pinned by someone and trying to fight that someone off, his claws ripping through the air as if it were fur. The one who had faith in becoming a medicine cat... who had a very powerful belief in StarClan... was dying before her very eyes....

"I can't do anything. The poison has already taken too much effect."

Her leaf-colored eyes were still full of grief and shock as Spottedpaw's thrashing movements slowed down, his amber eyes already beginning to get a look in them that told Leafshadow that he was heading for StarClan. "I'm sorry."

There was another rustle in the ferns, and a somewhat larger cat entered the scene. Leafshadow didn't look all that shocked. "Oh. Goldenstar..."

The cream-furred leader looked oppressed and worried. "If we keep losing members, how will we survive this constant battle that we have with ShadowClan? I'm sure they're still hungry for our territory..."

Leafshadow was silent for a moment. Then the medicine cat mewed, with a faint glimmer of hope in her eyes, "Last night, I received a prophecy... It was.... something like ... 'Moonlight's spirit brings rainclouds?' Did I just have a weird dream?"

For a moment, the dark gray cat looked as if she was thinking. "Wait!" She shouted suddenly, jumping up to her paws. "There was also something else... StarClan said something about a warrior of moonlight. I haven't figured anything out yet."

Goldenstar's expression became grave. The blue-eyed she-cat murmured, "I hope you figure it out soon, because we need some help." Then Goldenstar looked the medicine cat in the eyes, gazing wistfully, as if Leafshadow were invisible, blending into the night's silence and dark tinge. The air became slightly ominous, and the cats' fur pricked. Leafshadow took another doleful glance at Spottedpaw, who by now had completely stopped moving. The sound of his quick and uneven breathing still haunted Leafshadow.

Goldenstar continued, "We only have one queen, and she only has one kit...."

Leafshadow tried to cheer Goldenstar up, without much success. "Every member of the Clan counts..."

But still, the leader of ThunderClan began to pad away, and Brackenclaw slowly followed, with Spottedpaw's body in his fangs, being carried by the scruff. For another moment, Leafshadow stared up at the stars, as if with a wish in her heart. How could StarClan let us come this close to losing our entire territory?

"Leafshadow!" Someone called.

The medicine cat realized that Goldenstar had turned around, with a slightly scolding look. "Come back to camp," she growled seriously, and began to walk back to the clearing.

Leafshadow quickly nodded, bounding after her leader into camp.

Suddenly, one of the few apprentices in the Clan came dashing up to Leafshadow, their noses practically touching. The black-pelted apprentice's blue eyes were wide, and his face was so close to Leafshadow's that the latter felt slightly uncomfortable. After the apprentice realized that he was somewhat misbehaving, he shrank back bashfully. But he retained his stressed expression, and cried, "Leafshadow! The deputy, Nightclaw, has contracted greencough!"

When will this ever end? Leafshadow asked, going to fetch catmint. The supply of the sweet herb was running out; she hope not much more would happen. She took the herb in her jaws and rushed towards the leader's den, where Nightclaw usually hung out. Sure enough, he was coughing wildly.

"Eat this, hurry!" Leafshadow yowled, shoving the catmint in front of the black cat. He was so busy coughing that he could hardly even put it into his mouth. But finally, he swallowed it, and although it didn't work immediately, Leafshadow still raced out and into her den so she didn't catch it too. She would probably end up making the only kit her apprentice; Leafshadow could hardly keep up with collecting herbs and treating cats. But still, the best she could do was pray to StarClan. She was confident they would always keep four Clans in the forest.

----

Two cats sat mysteriously in the sky, next to each other and looking down at the camp. One of them, who looked older and also a little more noble, stood up, blinking her amber eyes at the smaller cat. "Not even Leafshadow can think clearly enough. We're sorry that we can't help ThunderClan. We can just guide them..."

"Did you foresee the prophecy, Lightstar?" the small cat asked, and if one heard her voice just after the larger one's, they would definitely assume she was younger.

"Yes, Smalltail, but StarClan is troubled with the recent death of both RiverClan's and WindClan's leaders; it is a time of doubt. Not even we are sure of what to do anymore." Lightstar looked down at the short-tailed she-cat beside her, gazing into her blue eyes. The starry glitter of their pelts seemed to intensify for a moment. "I don't know what we can do, but whatever it is, we won't let ThunderClan die."

Chapter 1 - Meanwhile in ShadowClan

A yellow glimmer shone from the ferns, and Rushtail gazed into his leader's eyes. "Mousestar, what is it?"

Mousestar was silent for a moment. Then the black cat replied, "...Come into my den." Quietly, he padded into a dome of reeds near the edge of the mossy camp. The ground was practically saturated from the previous day's rain, but it was always swampy, so the ShadowClan cats didn't notice a lot of difference. Mousestar sat down as soon as he reached the leader's den, with his short-tailed deputy sitting in front of him.

"Rushtail... are you interested in eating crows and larks?" The leader asked mysteriously.

"Yes... more prey is always good. Why do you ask?" The russet tom replied with his own question.

The small black tom bared his fangs at Rushtail in a menacing way. "Then I expect you to fight harder when we attack ThunderClan again!"

Rushtail stood his ground, knowing that Mousestar liked to intimidate his warriors. The deputy's amber gaze was steady.

"Fleeing after a mere clawing to the flank?" Mousestar hissed loudly, but Rushtail gave no excuse.

"Would your rather I had died to that warrior's claws?" Rushtail asked calmly.

"You wouldn't have!" The black cat cried back, his amber eyes definitely scolding from what Rushtail could see. "I know you can easilty kill!"

Still, the long-legged deputy stood still, sure to keep looking Mousestar in the eye but not show any fear. Not like he felt any, of course. This was his leader, after all, and what kind of warrior was afraid of his leader? "That cat had very long claws. He could have torn me apart if he wanted to."

Mousestar shook his head, frustrated. "Dismissed," he hissed softly. With a dip of his head, Rushtail exited the den, concocting the dawn patrol in his mind's eye. There would be Russetbird, Snowfoot and his apprentice Gorsepaw, along with Runningbrook and her apprentice Echopaw. Both apprentices are close to becoming warriors, so their ceremonies should be soon...

Rushtail barely noticed when Mousestar tore out of the den beside him and leaped up onto the stump that was the ShadowClan camp's announcement place. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highstump for a Clan meeting!" The leader's deep voice rang hastily around the camp, bringing warriors and apprentices with it. Many of the cats were tabby or black, but there was a white cat -- probably Icepelt -- in the midst of the group. As soon as all of the warriors had gathered around the bottom half of the fallen tree, the other end of which made up the medicine cat den, Mousestar continued his shouting, as he always did. "Rushtail and I have planned to start another attack on ThunderClan!" Why didn't they call him Loudclaw instead? Rushtail wondered; the only time he ever made jokes was in his own mind. And since when did I agree to the attack?

"We shall attack late tomorrow night, so get rest. Also, the dawn patrol will be made up of--"

But he was interrupted by Rushtail. "Russetbird, Snowfoot, Runningbrook, Gorsepaw and Echopaw." Then the deputy looked up at the cat who was indignantly standing up on the flat stump.

"Please do not interrupt me--"

"But you did not know who I assigned," Rushtail put in. There were a few giggles from around the group. Rushtail ignored the fact that they thought his seriousness was funny. Then he turned to face the rest of the Clan. "So, the assigned cats shall leave after the announcement is dismissed."

Mousestar's expression was still shocked from Rushtail's response -- since when did I die and make him leader? -- but he tried to look calm and continued. "We will attack in two waves. The first is made up of Adderstep, Russetbird, Wildflight, Toadfang, Rushtail, Firefoot, and me. Every warrior and apprentice not mentioned is in the second wave -- except Cloudstripe, Jayfur, Hawkfall, and Eaglepelt. and Sorrelheart." The ShadowClan leader saw the need to protest on the four warriors' faces, but before they could say anything, he continued, "You need to guard the camp in case any enemies sneak into our territory. Meeting dismissed." To signal, the black cat swished his tail and blinked his sun-colored eyes, then leaped off the rock. He whispered to Rushtail, "Don't be so timid this time," and padded into his den. Rushtail's expression was not disturbed, and he merely bowed his head to his leader behind Mousestar's back until Mousestar disappeared into the den made of reeds. With a small sigh, the russet-furred deputy padded into the warriors' den, sleeping in the corner that had now been claimed by him. All the other warriors were gathered in the middle, keeping each other warm.

In his den, Mousestar thought about the battle excitedly. ThunderClan was very small compared to ShadowClan -- even though it was leaf-bare, the rats still scurried along the mud in the territory, and many herbs were stored, so ShadowClan thrived; meanwhile, ThunderClan was struggling to get enough prey, with few herbs.

ThunderClan had been calm before, Mousestar knew, and they were challenged now. But he would make the situation even worse...

Back
Top Bottom