• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What do you call sugary, carbonated, unhealthiness?

Soft drink terms, yes?

• Soda

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Pop

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Coke

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters

Spoon

Pronoun
she
Just curious what you guys use for your day to day term for soft drinks. Let me know if I left out a term.

(I use soda for those wondering. It's so overwhelmingly used in my area that my mind was absolutely blown to realize it has so many different terms.)

Also this is interestingly relevant and you should click it. (Only on Canada and the US. I haven't been able to find anything similar for the rest of the world.)

Last edited:
I used to say pop, though I think it was exclusively referring to lemonade.

I don't think I use any particular word to refer to all kinds of carbonated drink. I just call them by name/flavour. Like all colas are "coke" even if it's pepsi.

A 'fizzy drink'! But I guess if I were thinking more formal, then a 'soft drink'.

My dad is old and northern and says 'fizzy pop'. It's cute.

Yeah, pretty much all of the time I'll just call it by brand name. If it's some kind of generic soft drink, I guess "soda" is what I call it.

I call it soda(for talking about them in general), or the brand name.
Also, is "coke" used for non-cola drinks? I've only heard it used when referring to Coca-Cola or other colas.

Last edited:
I usually say soda or the type of soda (orange soda, lemon lime soda, ect.), sometimes the brandname, if I have to be specific but I have a strange habit of reffering Sprites and Mountain Dews as 'coke'.

If not brand name, I'll call it a fizzy drink or mineral or, very rarely, a soft drink. There's also a halfway point between brand name and totally generic, i.e. lemonade, fizzy orange, coke/cola, etc. where I specify the flavour but not the brand.

Question, the proper word for the flavour is cola, right?
That's what all of the non coca-cola cokes call themselves, but everyone says coke!

Now that's a successful brand name, even more so than ones like hoover or biro.

The Czech word is based on "lemonade", but in English, I say "soda".

But yeah, the particular flavour is cola. "Coke" is an informal way to say "Coca Cola".

Pop, actually. Just about everyone around here calls it that. Soda's the only other term around here that isn't 100% guaranteed to get some weird looks.

Back
Top Bottom