• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Who's your favorite author?

In no particular order:

Ursula K. Le Guin
George R. R. Martin
Haruki Murakami
Neil Gaiman

What kind of question is this?

Must admit I'm mostly into YA novels because I'm a grown-up child. So I like Jaclyn Moriarty, Jacqueline Wilson, Louise Rennison, Meg Cabot sometimes (even though she does tend to essentially write the same book over and over...), Paula Danziger... I could go on...

But if you mean 'proper' books then I have no idea. BEST ENGLISH STUDENT IN THE UNIVERSE

In no order:

P. C. Cast
Rick Riordan
Garth Nix
D. J. MacHale
Kaza Kingsley
James Patterson
Troy CLE
Angie Sage

And there's probably more, but those are the ones of the books I own.

Fiction: Roald Dahl, Douglas Coupland, Margaret Atwood, Virginia Woolf, Arthur Conan Doyle, Sarah Waters, Enid Blyton
Non-fiction: Bill Bryson, David Sedaris, Dervla Murphy

In some semblance of order:

Garth Nix. I love and admire the believability of his fantasy worlds (these comments pertain mostly to his Abhorsen series but also apply to his other works). I particularly like how unpredictable magic is; it isn't used as a blanket solution to any of the characters' problems, which is fresh and enjoyable.

Scott Westerfeld. I enjoy his characters and their conflicts, as well as the fantasy worlds.

I had other favorites, but I haven't read anything by them in a long time, so I can't say for sure if they're still my favorites.

As a personal rule, I don't count an author as one of my favorites until I've read more than one of their books, preferably books not in the same series. If I haven't read more than one book by that author, I can't really know for sure if it's the author I like, or just the book.

Oh wow. This is a question where I can't possibly pick a single answer.

In no particular order...

Garth Nix. I especially love the old kingdom trilogy and the keys to the kingdom.

JK Rowling. Do I even need to say it?

Douglas Adams. Ditto.

D.J. MacHale. The pendragon books get far too little attention for how good they are.

Edgar Allen Poe. A classic.

uhhhh I'm definitely forgetting some people but. There's that.

My top three?

Evelyn Waugh writes some amazingly funny books but also some rather... un-PC works. However, I still rate him very highly.

Philip K. Dick does weird stuff but I've probably read more books by him than by any other author. He's just so imaginative and fascinating.

Ursula K. Le Guin is also one of my favourite authors. She unashamedly takes science fiction and fantasy, genres with a (not entirely un-justified) reputation for shallowness and chauvinism, and uses them to explore issues of gender and politics beyond simple tokenism.

according to my most frequently-read books, neal stephenson, tamora pierce, terry pratchett, orson scott card, diana wynne jones?

I do like le guin, rice, wrede, rusczyk occasionally, yolen; eh, this list is too long.

I think Robert Asprin is my favourite, I especially loved how he apologised at the start of his books. Terry Pratchett is brilliant. I also read a couple of books by Lawrence Watt-Evans which I thought were quite good. Sheri S. Tepper's "True Game" series was fun. I still have a lot of books I need to read, though.

Back
Top Bottom