• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Work experience in Germany!

Flazeah

Cloud eight-and-three-fifths
It's so nice when you more or less dread something, or at least not really look forward to it, and then end up having loads of fun. I wasn't really looking forward to going on work experience to Germany for a week, but it turned out to be awesome and I loved it. I worked in a pet shop - I wasn't doing anything amazing, just changing some animals' food and water - they had rodents like guinea-pigs, rabbits, rats, mice, some degus (which were insanely cute, gah; I love their ears ; ;) and birds like parrots. The parrots were so cool - they said "hallo". The employees were also amusing; some of them liked to make birdcalls. I also restocked shelves, swept the floor, cleaned some merchandise and reordered things on the shelves.

Ahahaha, the lunch was awesome; we got free breakfast and dinner at the Jugendherberge - youth hostel - but getting lunch was up to us, and mine usually consisted of a mini pizza, some bread and a cake like a doughnut or something. I once had this really nice cake with cream and cherries or something in it - or it might have been strawberries... I think it was because I didn't know the name of the actual cake so I described it instead, asking in German for the tart with the strawberries or something. I was proud that I got it. xD Although one day, I asked for Eibrot - egg bread - and the lady at the counter of the bakery must've thiught I'd said "drei Brot" - three pieces of bread - and gave me them, which turned out to be cheaper, and I just accepted it because I figured I could save some for the journey home the next day.

Many funny things happened - like on the last day, the company reps took us - the work experience was organised by a company, and there were about fifty people in our group - to the cathedral, where we were put into small groups and given sheets of paper with questions on them, which we had to walk around finding the answers to. Me and my group went into the nearby train station to ask some people questions, and we ended up talking to a drunk German guy (there were a lot of drunk Germans around because there had been a festival in Köln on the Thursday and there was a lot of partying spirit still going around) who somehow one of my two eammates ended up telling that it was his birthday the next day - he wasn't joking; it really was his birthday then. And the drunk German guy started going "Woo!" and lifted him onto his shoulders hapharzardly, then started walking off. Because it seemed to be in good humour, me and the other guy weren't that freaked out - it was very funny, we all agreed, but we were still a bit worried, and decided to follow them - luckily the guy dropped our teammate after only a few paces. We, uh, didn't do well in the quiz, but everyone ended up getting chocolate and all was good. >D

The youth hostel was pretty nice - the rooms were okay and were for four people. I shared with the two girls in my German class, which consists of a whopping four people, and a girl from another school, who was nice. The food was pretty great, considering it was, well, not a five-star hotel or anything - I don't think they fed us any German specialities, but we got some neat pasta, meat and there was nearly always jelly available for dessert. Delicious. There was also this rather awful coffee stuff which looked almost exactly like a chocolate dessert, and we sometimes had chocolate instead of the coffee thing, so you took a risk in eating it, but hey. There was a shop by the reception in the hostel which sold chocolate, vanilla and banana milk, one type of which I bought nearly every day. Hey, it was in place of milk, which I usually drink, but they didn't have milk in the canteen.

Oh yeah, I learned a bit of German along the way - I had to speak it most of the time at work, apart from when I really didn't understand something, because one of the employees spoke some English and could translate for me - but what I'm most pleased I got experience of was the German accent, I guess. Being immersed in Germany, as you'd probably expect, really did help me pick up how they speak, and hopefully improve my own German accent a bit, though I dunno if my accent has actually got much better.

Anyway, the trip was a lot of fun, and I'm actually really glad we got to travel by coach instead of plane, because we travelled through Belgium on the way. As well as France. But going through a bit of Belgium was cool for me because I'd never been to the country before. The part we travelled through was pretty - a mostly countryside-ish area with some places with buildings thrown in. I dunno which parts we went trough, but it seemed like we were in Belgium for ages, at least on the way - not so much on the way back, but maybe tha's because we stopped less. Although on the way back, we got to go to a chocolate factory. An actual Belgian chocolate factory. <3 And they were giving free samples. Oh, that was good chocolate. I also bought some chocolate. But yeah.

If you ever get the opportunity to go on work experience to a foreign country like that, seriously, go. :D The first day, I was kinda tired and was just like, mrr... but by the end, I adored the city and felt sorta attached to my fellow people on work experience. It's weird how that can happen in just a week. Some people were uspet at leaving and many hugs happened. I didn't cry; the hugs were nice and I was a little glad to be going home. But mostly sad, actually, at that point. I'm back home now - I have been for a week, actually - and settled back in, but I will seriously never forget that awesome trip. I'm so glad I went.

Oh, wow! You got to do work experience in another country! I'm so jealous. DX I hope they don't try and take us on one to France (I take French, wasn't allowed to take German) because I'm not so interested in the language, but it sounds like you had a really awesome time. :D

Haha, that random drunk German guy sounds crazy. I love German people. XD If you went near Koln, that means you went near where my dad lives, the place I go three times a year! That's awesome. xD

Glad you had fun!

You weren't allowed to take German for GCSE? That's a real shame... D: Aww... hopefully, they won't make you go to France. This thing, for example, was a completely optional week of work experience which the school only told us about and encouraged us to do.

Ooh, cool about your dad. It was a really nice place, from what I saw of the area outside the city, which was just what I could see from the coach, really - but it had snowed a little there before we went on the trip and we could see snowy countryside and it was beautiful. :D The houses nestled in the hills looked so neat. And yeah, German people are great - strangers passing each other in the city joined in singing their German songs. It made me want to get better at German, be a part of the atmosphere and learn their songs. It was so cool how they were so enthusiastic about the festival.

Their accents are also so cute - I loved listening to one of the company reps talk English, she was adorable. x3

Thanks, Cirrus. I'm glad I had fun too. :D

Oh wow, that sounds absolutely fantastic :)

I've been abroad a lot, but never without my family, and almost always in really touristy, English-speaking areas (think Benidorm), which, I think, takes away some of the point of going abroad in the first place. Spending the week work-experiencing sounds so, so cool :)

Are you gonna go there again in the near future?

Wall of text too big- shall read tomorrow.

Glad to hear you had a nice time :D

Hawhaw. Thank you. ^^

Oh wow, that sounds absolutely fantastic :)

I've been abroad a lot, but never without my family, and almost always in really touristy, English-speaking areas (think Benidorm), which, I think, takes away some of the point of going abroad in the first place. Spending the week work-experiencing sounds so, so cool :)

Are you gonna go there again in the near future?

Aww, going away with family is cool; the first time I went away on my own was only last school year - the year before last - when I flew to France alone to stay with a friend and her family. At least you get an experience of the country either way. :D But yeah, it is really interesting and kinda fun to feel the achievement of getting around on your own, depending on yourself and knowing that you know where you're going - or at least getting there eventually - without your parents being there and running the show.

I've hinted to my parents that I want to go back to Köln and show them my workplace and where I was in the city and everything, and the response was reasonably positive, but I'm guessing if we did go there it'd be next October half term at the earliest, seeing as my parents'll be expecting me to be revising for my AS exams during the Easter holidays, most likely. I definitely want to go back there, though. It's such a pretty city and gave me a really good impression of Germany.

Back
Top Bottom