• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

World of Warcraft

Thorne

It's feeding time
Everyone knows this game, it is just a matter whether you like it or not.

Are you playing it? Are you perhaps wishing to try it out? Or maybe you don't like but can still bring it up in a well-mannered conversation? No matter what your opinion is, if you feel like discussing it, you can do it here.

Personally I have been playing for about three months now and I enjoy the game immensely. I have two mains, both Death Knights, one on the Sha'tar and one on Argent Dawn.

I absolutely loved it when I was young, but most of the charm came from the fact that the world felt new and unexplored and full of surprises and adventures; now, it feels like I know everything already, and even when new content is added it somehow doesn't bring that old feeling of amazement back. I try to stay up-to-date though, so that I can hold my own in conversation.

Why would you play World of Warcraft when you could play League of Legends? Seriously, it offers everything I liked about WoW. Except it's free. And you don't need to grind anything. :3
(well, gameplay wise. What MD said? .. about the shiny world thing)
After a long time being exposed to WoW I found it ...desensitised me to gaming in a way and I would just... not have so much fun with other games on a regular basis. Point is it's bad to play like I did, and casual arena-style PvP is for winnarz >:T and more shameless plugging woo!
I sure don't mind having a conversation about WoW though. Some good memories I guess.

I played for like 2 years or so, on and off, started on a private server around the end of Burning Crusade. (It was kinda big! It was called WoWscape? I met people on retail from there... it was pretty funny actually, I recognised someone running around in Dalaran this one time... krf.) Then I moved to retail when a friend of mine let me use his brother's spare account which still had a couple months paid on it, and uhhh yeah I hit 80 around the Trial of the Crusader patch in Wrath of the Lich King... screwed around until just after the patch... 4.0.1? I think, it was when they introduced the new class abilities into Wrath.
Since I got into the game roleplaying (mostly what I did on that private server) I joined up an RP server (oh and my friend who gave me the account was playing there too), Moon Guard, it's all big and laggy and stuff. Raiding sucks there, blah blah, 'specially on alliance... or maybe that's the alliance-emo-self-pity thing we all had goin' on.
Oh yeah, I played a holy priest like a real man and gave much haet to paladins and death knights (SORRY OP) because there were ssoooOOOoooOO many and totally spent at least an hour each day talking down to every other healing class (including disc priests) because they were spammy raider people and holy priest had like 15 spells to case on a regular basis and I didn't use healbot (no really it sucks with a 3-button mouse) and blah blah blah

I guess I can't link old characters since I stopped playing liiiiike... uhm.. wheneveritwas... 4-6months ago? but my main priest (draenei/moonguard!) was totally pimped... okay not really just 264 gear. But it was purple so I'm totally happy with that. I also had a totally ungeared troll priest on the realm Maiev... I hope that's how you spell it... anyway it sucked to play as them D; comparative gear blah blah and then I kinda dropped it and yeahhhhh
ffffrghl *twitch* nightmares about being outhealed by rejuv spam and also being 1shot by warriors all cleavey like ;~; priests must be the number 1 whining class!
(and the roleplayers on WoW usually sucked anyway... it was real nice throwing mohawk grenades in goldshire, though. did the inn become a smoking crater in cataclysm :D?)

EDIT: OH YEAH WE SHOULD SHARE SCREENSHOTS. Screenshots make me happy.

Last edited:
Why would you play World of Warcraft when you could play League of Legends?

I've seen League of Legends, and really now, I see nothing attractive about it.

On another note, This is my character right here. Death Knight is a bag of fun to play. c:

I've seen League of Legends, and really now, I see nothing attractive about it.

On another note, This is my character right here. Death Knight is a bag of fun to play. c:

Nice sword! ahahaha
(no idea about the current iLvls or anything, just looks funky)

At this League of Legends comment:
Please elaborate. (I will also, though it is a little derailing...)
LoL has a very similar playstyle to World of Warcraft's PvP but the game, on the whole, is a LOT more skill and teamwork based because gear (as such) is a very small issue. If I have a particularly good day (if I play well) I can compete with maximum level players; the main difference is in experience. The characters are a bit simpler, with only 4 spells, but since you can pick a variety of them the game on the whole has a lot more variation that is easily accessable (in WoW you would change classes, or at least respec for a different playstyle, in LoL you can just pick a different champion each game)

...Oh right, raiding. Well, I think raiding kinda sucks. ): A lot of the appeal is in winning your shiny new gear, the actual encounters can be quite boring (there are a few nice ones, but on the whole...) and unrewarding. In that regard, PvP is a lot more exciting and dynamic to many people I played with. If you love to raid, however, I can see why you might find LoL completely unappealing!

EDIT: Oh yeah! Legendaryseeker you can TOTALLY play minecraft eventually because it's in Java and will come out for phone sometime, if you have onnea them fancy phones... which you might not... but uh ;~; just thought I would let you know if you didn't already. hoooope

I've never played LoL, but I definitely wouldn't call DotA and WoW similar when it comes to the actual gameplay. WoW is very much about character progression, pimping your little hero and levelling him up; there's no such thing in DotA because every game begins from scratch. WoW combat (PvP) and DotA are also very different, in virtually every way: WoW has ten different classes (then there's talent specializations, granted), each of which has dozens of spells and skills in its arsenal; DotA has almost a hundred different heroes, each of which has exactly four skills. And ya di da di da. They're just... really different.

OH NO NYUU D: SCREENSHOTS NOOOOOO
(everyone else should also take more screenshots, I looove having something to look back on and really regret only having about 4 of them from my first... year or so playing. It's like baby photos or something!!)

I've never played LoL, but I definitely wouldn't call DotA and WoW similar when it comes to the actual gameplay. WoW is very much about character progression, pimping your little hero and levelling him up; there's no such thing in DotA because every game begins from scratch. WoW combat (PvP) and DotA are also very different, in virtually every way: WoW has ten different classes (then there's talent specializations, granted), each of which has dozens of spells and skills in its arsenal; DotA has almost a hundred different heroes, each of which has exactly four skills. And ya di da di da. They're just... really different.
It is based on DotA rather than WoW, but WoW is, to an extent, based on DotA (basically what Nyuu said, in fact we've talked about it before!). Or well, similar to, and made in direct chronological order by the same company (well, not the DotA map, but you know what I mean).

"Pimping" your character and levelling them up IS a key factor in League of Legends -- it's just on a smaller scale. I wouldn't say there was no such thing. You gain levels faster by playing better, or in different circumstances, and the items you buy (as well as the talent-esque things and "runes" you can equip before the match starts... and extra spells) have a huge effect on your champion's end build. The difference in this case is that everyone starts from a fairly even playing field, in WoW you can be thrown into a BG easily with people who are fresh at 85, or people with the best gear available in the game. (Or, while levelling, someone who is level 10 and someone who is level 19)

About classes vs. champions -- classes in WoW are larger/more complicated things, sure. But I think that gives you less variation in general (10 classes with a lot of spells verses 100 champions with just a few spells). Though, uh, regardless of that, as many spells as my class had a lot of them are similar to each other, and more are... barely ever used (or never in PvP). In fact the game was kinda... simplified, so to speak, going into Cataclysm (at least the talents, I understand there were many new spell things), having more and more and more spells that do the same thing is kind of unnecessary.
For example (feel free to protest if this isn't true) when Frost Mage gameplay was explained to me in Wrath, PvP wise, it was to "Activate all cooldowns and spam frostbolt". They also have a few escape tools (frost nova + blink, invisibility). The mage class has(had) many more spells and utilities at its disposal but in a small-PvP environment (duels) this could be simplified into a LoL champion with little of its complexity lost.
Let's say you had a champion with a slowing frostbolt thing, perhaps with a passive ability that slows attacking champions when they hit this champion (there are items that do that, however). They could have a CD that increases their damage while cloning them visually and summoning a little... watery elemental thing... and doubles on their attacks... the summoner spell "Flash" (basically the same as blink), maybe another damage spell that is like a frost nova clone... uh, and I guess invisibility for the fourth spell, though there are items/summoner spells that would be similar escape tools... well I dunno, but the point is that you could get pretty close! (Don't frost mages have an AoE stun now?)
If I were to simplify my own class, probably a better idea, uh... let's say I was a Discipline Priest and had PW:Shield, a healing spell/heal-over-time, a damage-over-time and uh... all champions will have an auto-attack so I dunno about more damage spells... maybe a buff for my teammates or myself that is like Pain Suppression/Power Infusion... I mean, there's not much reason to include the gigantic number of heals (they were mostly disregarded in PvP anyway) and well, that's basically all I'd use in the arena anyway... except psychic scream, I love psychic scream. (:
POINT IS When you get down to it, WoW is less complicated than it seems, making it more complicated actually just causes a bunch of problems and balance issues a lot of the time... and trading a little bit of complexity makes it a lot more possible to switch your champions around (rather than picking one as a "main champion" type thing) which is a LOT harder to do in WoW (expensive/different gear for a respec and like, a month or two of your time to level and gear a new character. Or three months if you have a life. !). Also new classes are really rare and muuuuch harder to make (especially with "fresh" spells! I mean it must be hard to come up with a lot of unique ones, for new classes, and a lot of them are specific counters for specific classes... sometimes... I just remembered spellsteal OK?), if the champions are less work they pop up quite often and uh, keep you on your toes, so to speak. Having things easier to balance frees up the time of the developers! So more content! yaaaay (well, theoretically).

Uhm. Anyway, they're a bit different, but for good reason (on both sides, WoW classes BETTER be more complex if you have to spend so much more time on an individual character) but it is basically the same genre, and sometimes the LoL combat shines where WoW is aiming to but lacking! Eg. placement in combat, something that (coming into Cataclysm) was something that they were trying to emphasise more in WoW, League of Legends has this down-pat and placement is a huge factor! It adds a lot to the game, in WoW you occasionally had to go from point A to point B, but usually it was a measure of how close the enemy is to you/where your allies are, at its best.

Er, there's more to say on this subject but it's a bit hard to explain... so I'll leave it there for now... yeah.

Well, WoW is a MMORPG. League of Legends is not. At least from what I have seen.

Yeah, I realise that having a single hero progressing through the game world with quests and all that is a very appealing idea to some people -- I'm just speaking of the similarities in PvP gameplay (if you had only 3v3 and 5v5 arena in WoW and nothing else?).

I'm just speaking of the similarities in PvP gameplay (if you had only 3v3 and 5v5 arena in WoW and nothing else?).

As far as I've heard, PvP in World of Warcraft is terribly unbalanced, so I don't even bother with it.

Also, we're getting kind of side-tracked here. This thread is about WoW, not any other game, and we're starting to trail of in our conversations.

Back
Top Bottom