• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Writing competition!!!-5 words.

Bombsii

IM ON THE ROAD ON THE ROAD TO VIRIDIAN CITYYYY~
Here are the rules:
THE CONTEST CLOSES ON 1ST NOVEMBER
link to this page or write here it doesn't matter

• It must be under 800 words
  • It can be about anything
  • It should be interesting
  • It should be clear and easy to read
  • You must use these 5 words in the text:
You must use the EXACT words shown here
Anticipation
Trail
Satsuma
Catapult
Declare

The overall best competition will win for being interesting and using the 5 words, !IT MUST USE ALL 5 WORDS!

Have fun

Entrants: (up to 12 places)
Music Dragon
opaltiger
Espeon
The Mad Hatter
UltraViolet
o_0
Lucas 755
iphillip1

Last edited by a moderator:
When is this due?

Can we use different forms of the vocabulary words? By this I mean anticipate for anticipation and things ike that.

Last edited:
"Satsuma" is a bit of a limiting factor in this equation. What if we wished to write about an alien world that has absolutely no contact with Earth or resemblance to its ecosystem? (not that I necessarily want to write about something like that or participate in this in the first place)

"Satsuma" is a bit of a limiting factor in this equation. What if we wished to write about an alien world that has absolutely no contact with Earth or resemblance to its ecosystem? (not that I necessarily want to write about something like that or participate in this in the first place)

Then you'd want to be creative about the placement of Satsuma, wouldn't you?

It was a cold day. I waited with anticipation as the others followed the trail. I heard one of them, who was sitting on a catapult, declare, "I am hungry for a satsuma."
They came home later and we all lived happily ever after.

Do we post our entries in this thread or do we link to them? Maybe you should give more details.

link to this page or write here it doesn't matter

Darksong, although the sentence written by DarkAmour was a bit hard to decode, I've figured out that he wants you to either post your short story in this exact thread or post it elsewhere and post a link in this thread.

DarkArmour, you need to phrase your sentences properly. Not all people are willing to gain a headache in order to understand what you mean.

When is this due?

Can we use different forms of the vocabulary words? By this I mean anticipate for anticipation and things ike that.

THE CONTEST CLOSES ON 1ST DECEMBER

Not sure if this was edited into the first post after you asked the question, but the quoted sentence is your answer, OrangeAipom.

Also, if I were you, I'd stick to the exact words you were given. You wouldn't want to spend your time writing your story to find out that it didn't count for anything because it didn't abide by the rules that were clearly laid down.

And for anyone who's complaining about satsuma being too restricted for your story, you all need to realise that this competition is to test your creativity. Use your imagination. Who knows what you'll come up with?

If you don't like it, don't enter. It's a pretty simple solution to your problem.

Mostly Internal Depending On Your Point of View

Mostly Internal Depending On Your Point of View

It was a dark and stormy night, and my nose was pretty stuffed up. Some people like to call it "nasal congestion", but I'm not a big fan of such fancy terms.

Come to think of it, my nose is still stuffed up. It's pretty annoying.

I was casually wandering the many winding paths of the Internets, searching for information on topics that were relevant to my life at that time; choreography, French grammar, flatulence... At one point, I stumbled upon a quite interesting article on the etymology of the word "trebuchet".

(From this point onwards, I shall paragraph my tale in such a manner that emphasis is placed on the most important parts.)

The trebuchet is a siege weapon.

Shortly thereafter, I found myself once again returning the safe haven of The Cave of Dragonflies, where the small are tall and the mighty are flighty. At that instant, I noticed that my mind was slowly drifting into the realm of the subconscious; here, the downfall of the Kingdom of Literature never happened, and at the very top of my bookshelf I have a small model of a recumbent bicycle.

This recumbent bicycle is, en effet (as we say en France (as we say in France)), a completely ordinary bicycle, with the perhaps not-so-noticeable exception that it places the rider in a lying position, hence allowing him or her to rest while simultaneously bicycling. The seemingly paradoxical nature of this vehicle has made it popular with British members of la haute société (as we say in France), such as Lord Henry Wotton, whose friends call him Harry.

As I made my way through the jungle of the forums' many pointless and decaustic threads, slicing them out of my way with the poison-dipped machete of my brilliant mind (here, "brilliant" refers to the lightbringer properties of my mind, not its ingenuity, much in the same manner that Lucifer was a bringer of light before his downfall at the hands of al-Battani, the great astronomer), I came upon the very thread in which you are currently reading this story - this story of adventure and marvel, this story of inexplicable natural phenomena and boogie-woogies of the human brain.

The time of writing is 19:45.

I entered the thread, and almost immediately I was met by a set of words so uninteresting that I was taken by surprise and obstruction. The words were:

• Anticipation
  • Trail
  • Satsuma
  • Catapult
  • Declare

Even to this day, the dreams of my old arch-enemy haunt me. I see him in the shadow of the valley of death of the corner of my eye; I feel him in the depths of the oceans of the little wrinkles of my brain; I taste him in the budding hollies of the craphcratyra of my tongue of indecency...

... and yet, I eject.

Re: Mostly Internal Depending On Your Point of View

• Anticipation
  • Trail
  • Satsuma
  • Catapult
  • Declare

Even to this day, the dreams of my old arch-enemy haunt me. I see him in the shadow of the valley of death of the corner of my eye; I feel him in the depths of the oceans of the little wrinkles of my brain; I taste him in the budding hollies of the craphcratyra of my tongue of indecency...

... and yet, I eject.

Clever. Very clever. hadn't thought of that, for lateral thinking that definitely counts, nice vocabulary anyway...

BUT, if anyone copies that exact idea, it won't count, be creative like this guys been!

The anticipation shattered as the smoke cleared, revealing but a trail of sticky juice. "Well," said the catapult, "I think I can safely declare that a satsuma is not the most optimal of projectiles."

Well, I think my usage of the word Satsuma should satisy interesting;

The anticipation was killing the troops. The ancient Japanese stood in anticipation as a trail of smoke erupted from the walls of the ancient temple walls.

"Is what we're doing really," the soldier paused, "just?"
His name was Fujiro. Proudly, he stood tall, his iron-clad armour relfecting the vastly fading sunlight. His long, black hair swayed slowly in the autumn breeze.

Fire and destruction was everywhere but the warriors of the Japanese Satsuma dynasty pressed on dragging their secret weapon, a cataplut, behind them. Another soldier turned to face Fujiro. His long steel blade shimmered as he turned. The exhausted man inhaled deeply before speaking.

"I don't really know. Whatever we're doing, the emporer doesn't care if we live or die after this last raid. Even if they win, he'll just continue to declair another war with Okinawa," he said, his gruff voice echoing around the montains.

The catapult creaked lightly as it was dragged.

Out from nowhere, Okinawese warriors appeared and cut the rope binding the catapult's lanching arm to its base.

It fired, loaded with three large iron balls. Suprised, the japanese men turned only to be showered with the blood of one of their comrades. Bludgeoned by one of the dull, iron balls, Fujiro lay dead; a great depression where the projectile had slammed into his solid armour.

If launched correctly, the catapult could smash through solid walls. Furjiro was fortunate but he was still as flat and dead as a cockroach beneath an exterminator's foot.

...Yes, Satsuma was also a japanese dynasty.

Randolph followed the trail he had followed every time he had a nightmare. The kid hadn't been filled with anticipation about walking down that trail when he went to bed the night before. How could he have, after all? No one can predict when nightmares are going to strike. He rubbed his eyes. He wished he had blue eyes instead of his dull brown. He had learned from the Discovery Channel that people with blue eyes tend to see better in the dark than anyone else. Having better eyesight when surrounded by blackness would help anyone and especially Randolph, who had at least one nightmare a week.

Suddenly, Randolph was alert. Although his sight wasn't as good as it could be, his hearing was often described as amazing. Normally when he was caught eavesdropping on friends. He was standing outside his father's room. All that was between him and his goal was a red door, made of mahogany. His father had always told him that mahogany was the greatest wood on earth but had never given him a reason. Noises were vibrating from the room. The sounds were muffled and it took Randolph a couple of seconds to realise that his father was snoring.

Shaking his head and disappointed by the fact that he didn't piece the mystery together in a shorter period of time, Randolph walked into the room. His father was sprawled in an eagle-shaped position, with his arms and legs at odd angles on the bed. The man seemed to be muttering to himself and Randolph saw him grab the satsuma on the bedside table.

"Hoist the catapult!" His dad screamed in whatever dream he was having. Randolph wasn't prepared for what happened next but he would admit to be slightly amused by the fact that his dad proceeded to throw the satsuma at the wall in front of him, causing a loud bang.

The child had enough common sense to realise that his father could cause a lot of destruction in this state of mind, so he walked over to him and pulled his hair. Randolph's dad opened his right eye by a minuscule amount. "What?" He grunted.

Randolph was ready to declare the reason for why he was up in the middle of the night. "I've had a nightmare."

A couple of seconds later, Randolph was in bed with his dad and both were fast asleep. After a number of minutes, Randolph's father would relay some sort of re-enactment of the display he had put on earlier without knowing. Randolph, frustrated, would go back to his own bed, fall asleep and have another nightmare. The cycle would continue.

Just another day in the life of Randolph.

The grizzled sergeant led his troops through the trail, his boots sinking into the alien, slightly soft ground. There was a strong, citrus-like smell that hung in the stagnant air, most unlike the sterile surfaces they were used to.

They rose over the curve of the alien moutain. At the summit, they could see thousands of spheres, just like this one, only...
"This one is rather small compared to the others, don't you think?" The soldier poked his boot into the orange surface interestedly. It was orange, rubbery and smelt strongly of citrus. The grizzled sergeant nodded. "We have to find out what these alien contraptions do." He paused, thinking. He poked his boot into the hide of the sphere. "Our knives won't penetrate the surface of these things, will they?" One of the soldiers shook his head.

"We need more... force."
He tapped his boot on the soft ground.
"Jones!" he said, suddenly. "I have an idea!"

x​

Jones was the soldier at the back of the line, and was carrying all the supplies that any of the other soldiers might have needed. He was kneeling on the orange surface, pulling parts of a contraption out of his bag. Two other soldiers were putting together what looked like a miniature catapault, using the pieces that Jones gave them. The sergeant and the remaining soldier were working out a good spot to aim at.

"Okay!" said the sergeant, calling the others to attention. "What we're going to do is shoot one of our missiles from the catapault and into the pile of spheres. Surely they'll be sharp enough to penetrate the surface of at least one of them. We're closer to finding the answer to these ridiculous things!" The soldiers nodded between each other.

The catapault was set. It was aimed at the mountain of spheres. All was ready. The soldiers crowded behind the catapault, their anticipation growing. The sergeant called for fire. Jones fired. The spiky missile flew through the air at the planned trajectory.
There was a horrible squelching sound.
The grizzled sergeant led the men over for a look.

After a climb, they found the missile lodged in the hide of one of the spheres. The smell of citrus was overpowering at this level. An amount of the alien contraption's fuel had splattered over the surrounding spheres. The soldiers declared it as sticky, sweet-tasting, and so far, non-poisonous. Perhaps the spheres weren't such a threat to the country after all.

Suddenly, there was a loud, booming noise, too loud for the soldier's ears to handle. They clutched their ears and sank to the ground, writhing...

x
"Jason! What are you doing?"
Jason froze, caught in the act. Green army men littered the kitchen counter, the floor, and the fruit bowl. Satsuma juice dripped from a gouged fruit and onto the floor.

Augh, that wasn't very good. But it was fun.

sorry can I change the rules, can I have the contest close on the 1st of October instead? its just I didn't expect this many responses and that day is special to me.Thanks!

Actually, can I un-enter or something? Now that I have school and activities almost every day, I can't find enough time to write the story how I want it. Sorry. :(

Back
Top Bottom