• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your favourite game

MentheLapin

Oh, Reflux, you're so big and strong!
Games affect us in a worryingly large amount of ways. Some games wow us with revolutionary gameplay, others with an entrancing story. Some just take what's perfect about gaming and roll it all into one. And, of course, we all harbour feelings for that one game that we can't stay away from. Whether old, new, or somewhere in between, everyone has a favourite.

For me, it's like choosing between children. Do I love The World Ends With You the most, for its wonderful story and character design? Or Super Mario Galaxy, for revolutionising the Mario series and showing that the Wii was capable of something amazing? Or Super Smash Bros Brawl, for its amazing multiplayer?

In the end, I think my favourite game is probably Super Paper Mario. It seems an odd choice, seeing as the main series games such as Galaxy and 3D Land did much better critically, but in my opinion, it's the finest in my collection - a wonderfully told story, with amazing, unforgettable characters and brilliantly inventive gameplay. There's nothing quite like Super Paper Mario on the market, and that's a real shame - I'd kill for Paper Mario 3DS to be more like the Wii incarnation.

So what's your favourite game?

Hmmm........

Well, I like Etrian Odyssey III, and Dragon Quest IX, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and....

I really can't choose u_u

So hard.... If I had to choose, A tie between Skyward Sword and Pokemon White/Black. But anything pokemon or zelda really.

Plus, I enjoy Brawl. That's very high up there too.

And so many others that I can't even count... argh too hard.

I like okemon white, but it doesn't have too much of a post story. Yeah, there are some cities unlocked, and there's the seven sages, but what else? =(

I like SSBB for wii, considering the multiplayer is awesome.

I'd have to say that it's a close one between both N64 Zeldas and Wind Waker for me.
My first Zelda experience was when my brother bought a wii and managed to get a collector's edition gamecube disc from ebay. He was in uni at the time so he let me play on it.
I instantly feel in love with Ocarina of Time, and while I have to say I like it more than Majora's Mask, I think Majora is better. And then my brother got me Wind Waker for my following Birthday and if it's way up there with the other two games.

Pokémon GSC/HGSS are pretty rad too, but there's something about non-handheld games that resonate with me much more so that's now they're not as high!

I like Assassin's Creed 2 quite a lot too, but as I haven't really played any of the three Zeldas as recently as I've played this, I can't say which I like better.

The Age of Empires, Zoo Tycoon, Spore, Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pokemon, Digimon World, Kingdom Hearts, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, and Final Fantasy series.

I don't have a single favorite game, but a few... Mostly in what they brought by way of gameplay, characters, story or what have you.

Ape Escape, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Jet Grind Radio, Tales of Vesperia and Xenoblade Chronicles probably have to be my absolute favorites. Pretty much the artsiest of any game possible, and how any game should be made, they're just utterly fantastic <3

Trauma Team?
Yeah, pretty sure it's Trauma Team.
(but it would totally be No More Heroes if I owned that game)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, a thousand times
uh, Skyrim is up there too I guess, I haven't had as much time to play it (200+ hours on Oblivion, 30something with Skyrim) so I haven't gotten as into it yet... Also I had the entire summer to just let myself get completely sucked into Oblivion, while Skyrim has to compete with college :I but I think it says a lot that I actually plan on retiring my first Skyrim character eventually so I can remake my first and only Oblivion character and continue her story.

Honorable mentions: every main-series Pokemon game, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, annd... hmm... based on how much time I've put into them, Final Fantasy XI should probably be thrown in there somewhere, as well as Minecraft and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 or something.

edit: fuck how did I forget Mother 3 is amazing? hnng it's up there with TES in my favorites

Last edited:
So hard.... If I had to choose, A tie between Skyward Sword and Pokemon White/Black. But anything Pokemon or Zelda really.

Plus, I enjoy Brawl. That's very high up there too.

This about sums it up. But I haven't gotten White/Black yet, I usually wait for third editions :P

There are a lot of things. Personally, the one game I haven't played which I still think is the best game is MOTHER 3.

Is it weird for your favorite game to be one you have yet to finish but know the ending/other details due to Let's Plays/the internet in general?

Cause mine's probably Super Paper Mario as well, and I'm not even halfway through. (stuck on 5-1 dammit)

One of my favorite qualities of video games is their ability to tell a story, and thus plots and character development have a really big role in whether or not I particularly like a game (which is probably why I love Colosseum and XD more than most Pokemon games).

And Super Paper Mario's got what I'd call the most interesting plot of all the Mario games, spin-off or otherwise. (
Peach rescues herself! Bowser is a good guy! Nintendo hates Luigi more than usual! Brainwashing...plants? WHAT THE HELL IS THIS FINAL BOSS EVEN THE MAJORITY (haha accidentally wrote Mario there what) OF THE INTERNET HAS NO CLUE
) Not to mention the hysterical dialogue and possible death-by-not-wearing-a-goldfish-bowl/helmet.

Plus it has a nice balance of "oh by the way this character is blank and this happens later" and *SPONTANEOUS EVENT THAT IS SLIGHTLY FORESHADOWED BY ONE-WORLD PLOT DEVICE AND LEADS TO MAJOR "WHAT THE HELL" FROM PLAYERS*

Even if Mimi's somewhat terrifying and
Super Dimentio
can/will probably give you nightmares.

There are a lot of things. Personally, the one game I haven't played which I still think is the best game is MOTHER 3.

I don't disagree that Mother 3 is fucking amazing but I'm confused... you haven't played it...? Or am I just reading that wrong

I mean, that's basically admitting "I've heard it's really cool so I'm going to say it's the best, maybe I'll still get hipster points for having heard of it." There's no reason to not play it even if you know the whole story and everything. :[ I mean, I guess video games are a little easier to do that with than a book or a movie (like, there is no "I'll just watch a Let's Play" equivalent experience for those things), but still!

Last edited:
Quite true. I'm taking a guess that if I were to play it, I might think that. But I haven't had the means at my disposal; the translator patch refuses to work for me. I only really said that because I really cannot choose of the ones I've played.

Oh wait. Yoshi's Island.

As for Super Paper Mario. It is a great game. But I don't really think it deserves to be grouped in with the rest of the series. It's a standalone in my opinion.

(but it would totally be No More Heroes if I owned that game)
You sure? People talk about that game a lot, yeah, and the characters are cool and it has some pretty funny moments and it's quite open to interpretation and all that stuff... but it's really not that much fun to play, in my opinion. Too repetitive. When you say you don't own the game, do you mean that as in "I've played it but I currently don't own a copy" or as in "I've never played it"?

You sure? People talk about that game a lot, yeah, and the characters are cool and it has some pretty funny moments and it's quite open to interpretation and all that stuff... but it's really not that much fun to play, in my opinion. Too repetitive. When you say you don't own the game, do you mean that as in "I've played it but I currently don't own a copy" or as in "I've never played it"?

No More Heroes 2 was pretty fun... A huge improvement over the first in every way, and it actually feels like an arcade game, which i personally loved about it.

Trauma Team?
Yeah, pretty sure it's Trauma Team.

sob sob cry cry

The sole reason I would consider getting an American Wii is for Trauma Team. :C Why, Atlus? Why can't you just release it in Europe?

As for what's been said about Super Paper Mario, I think it would have worked just as well if it weren't a Mario game. The storyline and characters could have carried themselves without the name, and the paper idea is hardly used in comparison to the other three games. Peach could just have easily been a generic fair maiden, Bowser a muscle-bound bad-ass villain, and Luigi an underappreciated character swept to the side.

The... latter. I like the way it looks :c

Also sad for Menthe. I am going to resist blabbering about how awesome it is. I do hope it still works now that I've moved...

Oh yeah I guess Pokemon is pretty cool too

Back
Top Bottom