• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your Top 10 Favorite Albums, Take 2

Ether's Bane

future Singaporean
Pronoun
he
The old thread, for anyone who would like to see how much their music taste has changed.

Try not to include "greatest hits"-type or multi-artist compilations, if possible.

Mine looks something like this:

1) Oceanborn (Nightwish)
2) The Heart of Everything (Within Temptation)
3) Mother Earth (Within Temptation)
4) Inhuman Rampage (DragonForce)
5) Trespassing (Adam Lambert)
6) Piece of Mind (Iron Maiden)
7) For Your Entertainment (Adam Lambert)
8) Valley of the Damned (DragonForce)
9) Superunknown (Soundgarden)
10) Angels Fall First (Nightwish)

1. Revolver - The Beatles
2. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
3. Abbey Road - The Beatles
4. The White Album - The Beatles
5. Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones
6. Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys
7. Whatever People say I am, That's What I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys
8. Urban Hymns - The Verve
9. Nevermind - Nirvana
10. In Utero - Nirvana

Good god how do I even solve this.

1. Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones
2. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
3. Pink Floyd - The Wall
4. Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
5. Rammstein - Rosenrot
6. Sofia Karlsson - Norr om Eden (EP)
7. She Wants Revenge - S/T
8. The Cure - Disintegration
9. Pixies - Surfer Rosa
10. The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten

But that will be different tomorrow. I prefer songs to albums anyways.

Last edited:
1. Tool - Lateralus
2. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
3. Pink Floyd - The Wall
4. Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient
5. Agalloch - The Mantle
6. Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory
7. Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning
8. Gojira - From Mars to Sirius
9. The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
10. Opeth - Still Life

I looked at the old list. Wow, that was pretty different.

Your list could be my list three years ago.

(Although I would argue that Blackwater Park is better than Still Life, I honestly prefer Images and Words and Awake to Scenes, The Way of All Flesh is better than From Mars, etc.) Can agree on the Devin pick.

I don't like The Mantle apart from the album cover (prefer other albums) and SW's first album was better. Gonna hand you the Mars Volta one although I again prefer De-Loused.

(They're all good albums but I would not pick them as my favourite).

And Kevin Moore will always beat Rudess for Dream Theater.

Your list could be my list three years ago.

(Although I would argue that Blackwater Park is better than Still Life, I honestly prefer Images and Words and Awake to Scenes, The Way of All Flesh is better than From Mars, etc.) Can agree on the Devin pick.

I don't like The Mantle apart from the album cover (prefer other albums) and SW's first album was better. Gonna hand you the Mars Volta one although I again prefer De-Loused.

(They're all good albums but I would not pick them as my favourite).

And Kevin Moore will always beat Rudess for Dream Theater.

Arguably, yes, Blackwater Park is Opeth's best album. I still think Still Life is on par with it, and personally, aside from the sound quality, it has a slight edge over it. In terms of the album I've listened to the most, that would be Ghost Reveries, but that's another story.

Nowadays I'm getting kind of bored with Dream Theater's albums, but I&W, Awake, and Scenes are all good. Picking a favorite Gojira album is hard, considering they are all fantastic. The Way of All Flesh is probably the one I've listened to the most.

I'm still positive The Mantle is far superior to Agalloch's other albums. Pale Folklore was very good, despite the audio quality. Ashes Against the Grain had some good songs, but overall didn't really work for me as an album. Marrow of the Spirit I haven't actually listened to at all.

I still love Insurgentes (was just listening to it in fact) but Grace for Drowning seems a bit more progressive and experimental. I could say the same for Frances the Mute (though De-Loused has many stand alone songs on it that are arguably their best, namely "Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt").

I find it interesting your #2 and #3 were the same as mine. (I do find it hard picking a favorite PF album though. It usually flips between Wish You Were Here and The Wall, but honestly they're all great.)

huh, mine have changed, I guess! many of those are just nostalgic to me rather than really really great.

1 Rurutia - Water Forest
2 Noe Venable - The World is Bound by Secret Knots
3 school food is punishment - Prog-Roid
4 Spangle call Lilli line - Purple
5/6 Kanno Yoko - Arjuna into the another world & Arjuna onna no minato (can't choose. they are both the loveliest largely-instrumental albums I've ever heard. she is great.)
7 Emilie Simon - Vegetal
8 Noe Venable - The Summer Storm Journals

aaaa& then um. two old nostalgia picks. like Utada Hikaru's Ultra Blue and, say, Frou Frou's Details.

I really want to put something by Vienna Teng here, she is A* but her best stuff is so spread out :cc

but Grace for Drowning seems a bit more progressive and experimental. I could say the same for Frances the Mute (though De-Loused has many stand alone songs on it that are arguably their best, namely "Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt").

this is code for boring. Steven Wilson is better when he keeps to what he does best - prog music in a format we can all stomach, not smearing it out over 20 minute long tracks that go nowhere. Also Insurgentes leans very heavily on a post-punk background and things like Joy Division are important - which means it's much simpler and easier to stomach as opposed to Grace which uses jazz musicians and whatnot to bore me to tears.

(I didn't like Grace for Drowning at all).

As opposed to most people all my favourite Porcupine Tree tracks are from his pop era (except Lazarus, fuck Lazarus I am sick of that song), with a few notable exceptions on In Absentia, and some isolated masterpieces like Russia on Ice / Arriving.

I have to mention here though that for me a good album is basically a collection of good individual songs. The only time it's important to judge an album as a whole is if it's an intended concept album (see The Incident) but 9/10 times that just means excess wank and overwrought playing and the return of leitmotifs (which can be fun if you do it right, but is bad when overused).

F.e. I love Muse but they haven't done a single satisfactory album - it's just songs scattered among all the rubbish.

Welp, okay, but I loved GfD, just so you know.

EDIT: Yeah, most of my favorite albums are concept albums. I enjoy them more if they flow together as a whole.

Last edited:
I used to love them, but the problem is I have not listened to that stuff in forever and the other problem is that despite me loving those albums it was never about the technicality of the playing - the songs had to be good. And as I've grown older the novelty of it being heavy/different/technical has worn off to a very big extent, meaning that very few of those albums, barring Pink Floyd, still hold my interest.

And double albums are always too much. I can't listen to 90 minutes in one sitting, sorry.

I'll give you an example: my favourite Dream Theater song is Space-Dye Vest. And the reason is that it is an excellent, subtle song that relies on nuance and atmosphere to get its point across. Kevin Moore was good at using his keyboards to render exactly that. Rudess and Dream Theater was a bad fit imo in terms of songwriting - Rudess is as gifted as the rest of the lot (if not more), but that leads to him wanting to play too many notes where he needs to shut the hell up.

Metal having the problem that they always want to play too many notes anyway.

Still, many of the bands I enjoy don't really "write songs" so much as they just play music and record albums. You can't really listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor in the same way that you'd listen to most other music.

Which is why I would just put Godspeed You! Black Emperor on as background music. I have to say that I enjoy GY!BE when I hear it because it's very forceful and atmospherical - but it's not really interesting enough to hold my attention for 90 minutes (hence my favourite is the Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada EP). I would put that on while I am typing up an essay or something.

10. Fiona Apple, The Idler Wheel...
9. Theatre of Tragedy, Aégis
8. Tori Amos, From the Choirgirl Hotel
7. Tori Amos, The Beekeeper
6. Curve, Doppelgänger
5. Tori Amos, Boys for Pele
4. My Bloody Valentine, Loveless
3. Johnny Hollow, Dirty Hands
2. Tori Amos, To Venus and Back
1. Tori Amos, Scarlet's Walk

or something

I don't know