• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Types Advantages and Disadvantages

Eeveelution

Among the few morons with straight A's.
Types have advantages and disadvantages, but sometimes they don't make sense...

Ghost+Normal: Neither effect each other. I had to turn off the game while fighting Morty once because only Eevee was left (with normal attacks), and our attacks didn't affect each other. -_-

Ice>Dragon: Seriously, ice is stronger than dragons!? o_O

Grass+Electric: Electric's "not very effective" while grass does normal damage. >_>

Flying+Ground: Same as electric and grass, for some odd reason... _-_

Discuss at will! Also, add your own while you're at it.

Last edited:
Ice>Dragon because Ice is awesome.

But seriously, think about it. If a dragon gets frozen, it can't do much, can it?

Grass>Electric... no idea.

Flying>Ground - Forget Pokémon for a moment, if you bombard a ground-based opponent with attacks from the sky, they'll probably be defenceless.

Ghost+Normal: Neither effect each other. I had to turn off the game while fighting Morty once because only Eevee was left (with normal attacks), and our attacks didn't affect each other. -_-
I never quite understood this either, but I think it may have to do with the fact that ghosts are known to be unaffected by ordinary objects. (Like, for example, they're capable of passing through walls. And how often do you see a ghost get punched?)

Of course, it goes the other way, too. So ghosts can't affect ordinary objects, and ordinary objects can't affect ghosts.

I guess that's the logic behind it...

Ice>Dragon: Seriously, ice is stronger than dragons!? o_O
Probably because reptiles are cold-blooded.

Grass+Electric: Electric's "not very effective" while grass does normal damage.
*shrug*

Flying+Ground: Same as electric and grass, for some odd reason...
Ground doesn't affect Flying for obvious reasons, but why shouldn't Flying be able to affect Ground?

Ice>Dragon because Ice is awesome.

But seriously, think about it. If a dragon gets frozen, it can't do much, can it?
Well, by this logic, everything should be weak to Ice.

My hypothesis is that grass grows out of the ground. So if electricity hit it it'd be grounding itself...[/fail]
Makes sense.

And Flying doesn't affect ground because it's kinda classified as wind. And wind can't do anything except erode it but that takes millions of years.

I don't see why you have a problem with Grass and Electric. At least I don't expect grass conducts electricity very well, and is there any particular reason for grass to harm Electric Pokémon more than normal?

Reptiles being cold-blooded is definitely it for Ice and Dragon.

I don't think Flying ought to be super effective on Ground; Ground Pokémon are implied to be pretty good at staying on the ground, meaning it's hard to blow them away with wind, and trying to assault them physically from the air carries with it a danger of crashing when you have to try to fly that low. :/

My only guess on Bug>Psychic would be that bugs are whiny, irritating and can wreck your concentration something awful.

Then again, I imagine it's also quite hard to concentrate when you are on fire.

I got nothing.

For that matter, why is Psychic good against Poison? Fighting I can understand, as there's the whole mind over matter thing, but... just because I can bend a spoon with my brain I suddenly make all of the noxious chemicals under my sink tremble with fear? Wouldn't Fire have made more sense than Psychic?

Bug > Psychic and Bug > Dark are really just to balance the game out, I believe.

My only guess on Bug>Psychic would be that bugs are whiny, irritating and can wreck your concentration something awful.

Then again, I imagine it's also quite hard to concentrate when you are on fire.

I got nothing.

For that matter, why is Psychic good against Poison? Fighting I can understand, as there's the whole mind over matter thing, but... just because I can bend a spoon with my brain I suddenly make all of the noxious chemicals under my sink tremble with fear? Wouldn't Fire have made more sense than Psychic?

Also Flying > Fighting screams fairness without logic.

I always thought of it as the flying pokemon can swoop down on the fighting dudes for an aerial attack, and the fighting people can't defend themselves from that. Yes, I know this interpretation doesn't make too much sense. D:

Ghost & Normal: People can go through ghosts. Ghosts can go through people. I think it is based on that

Ice & Dragon: Cold blooded reptiles HATE the cold

Grass & Electric: Actually... That DOESN'T make sense... The plants are rooted to the ground, providing an unbroken circuit. And sure, plants don't conduct electricity well, but, erm, isn't it that the electricity would then set it on fire?

Flying & Ground: Let's see YOU try hitting a bird with your fist

Bug & Psychic: Psychics use their mind. Bugs, erm... Well, saying that they are stupid is putting it mildly. So, how would one use MENTAL attacks to defeat a mindless opponent? They would be pretty helpless

Bug & Dark: All I can think of is the Bible entries on Moses. The Pharaoh being portrayed as evil and 'dark', and one of the plagues that afflict him is a plague of locusts, which are a kind of bug...

Flying & Fighting: Back to the fist thing...

Psychic & Poison: ...Have no fucking clue

Flying types are frequently capable of pecking out eyes.

Go try to punch somebody in the face when you can't see.

Thought of something odd... Electric and Flying. Birds don't really make a complete circuit while FLYING, after all x.x

I think the idea is that if they were paralyzed, they'd come crashing down. At least something that's already on the ground isn't going to be paralyzed+splat. Or something.

Yeah, but there needs to be a complete circuit. Heck, birds can stand on electric wires just because they don't complete the circuit!

I'm pretty sure the Electric > Flying thing is because if you're high up and out in the open, you're more likely to be struck by lightning.

And water only conducts electricity; it isn't especially affected by it.

Bottom line is, this is Pokémon. Zangoose and Seviper can breed, Onix can battle at the bottom of the sea... it is more about balance than really thinking about "what's really good against what" beyond the first thing that comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom