• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Types Advantages and Disadvantages

What about Water<Steel. That doesn't work for me. Also Ice>Dragon is just strange.

Steel not affecting water is due to the fact that water makes steel and iron rust. I imagine it doesn't make water super-effective against Steel because you also need air for oxidation, so the supereffective formula would be a water attack followed up by a Flying one, which is just silly really.

Even if there is no complete circuit, lightning can still strike something.

Electric and Grass: The grass is down low, so the lightning can't strike it unless there are a few really tall blades of grass.

Psychic and Poison: Sometimes, really strong mental abilities can heal poisoning. That's my guess; I actually have no clue.

imo poison should be good versus water because water is already a very bulky type (and could afford to be nerfed slightly) and water supplies can be poisoned, and the poison type seriously sucks at all offence right now.

imo poison should be good versus water because water is already a very bulky type (and could afford to be nerfed slightly) and water supplies can be poisoned, and the poison type seriously sucks at all offence right now.

Poisdon > Bug would be a good idea too. Frankly Poison not being strong against anything but Grass is disgraceful.

Actually, Poison was strong against Bug in RBY, but they took it out in the second generaton for some reason.

RBY-http://www.pokezam.com/games/red/battlechart.gif
Now-http://www.pokezam.com/games/gold/battlechart.gif

Poison is horrible at offense, and Bug is horrible at defense. You would just make one stronger while weakening the other. Most Bug-types don't need to be any worse than they already are.

Last edited:
I don't see how Fighting>Normal works. Fighting is like Martial Arts or something but Normal is all the Pokemon that don't fit into other categories/types but why would Fighting be good againist all of them?

Probably because Fighting needs something to be strong against other than Dark and Normal just seemed like the most logical. Plus, it's like battling someone who knows martial arts when you don't; you have a clear disadvantage.

Lets see if I can remember all the what the? matches:

Electic/Grass - In pokelogic being earthed means you resist electicity
Bug/Poision - Bugs aren't any more supceptable to poision than anything else really
Bug/Psychic, Bug/Dark - Annoyance
Fighting/Normal - Martial artist beats up normal guy
Fighting/Flying - Try and hit something in the air
Electric/Flying - Pokelogic says not completing a circuit means it hurts more (buildup of charge maybe?)
Posion/Psychic - "Haha I shall burn your insides with your own venom using the power of my mind" - Psychic has no posion resistance
Water/Steel - Probably water softening the blow or reforming around the attack (although by this water should have many more resistances)
Ghost/Normal - Normal stuff can't detect spirits. Spirits cannot influence normal stuff
Dragon/Ice - Probably cold-bloodedness, but also may have started as a 'What can Dratini & Dragonair be week to' (In RBY, the only dragon move dealt fixed damage, and this meant that a weakness to dragon was effectivly pointless. Dragonite as a flying type is weak to rock)
Ground/Flying - There is no way an earthquake is going to hurt something which isn't touching the ground (Flying attacks deal normal damage on ground-types)

Suggestions made:
Ice>water - Water is good at retaining heat, and so needs a lot of cooling enegy to freeze it (also salt water has a lower melting point) this meaning it is resistant to ice.

[/comments on previous posts]

Fighting/Bug, when looked at without the types, seems crazy. Two types that both resist each other seems illogical before you think about it. How much damage is an insect going to do to a guy who is supposed to have mental dicipline, and in turn how do you hit a fly?

There is logic behind the type matchups. They may not be obvious or even solidly based in anything other than fantasy, but it's there.

[aside]
I think that Ice (and maybe bug) needs at least another resistance and Poision needs something weak to it (my vote is Fighting, or possibly psychic)
[/aside]

I don't see how Fighting>Normal works. Fighting is like Martial Arts or something but Normal is all the Pokemon that don't fit into other categories/types but why would Fighting be good againist all of them?
Normal needs a weakness, I guess.
Probably because Fighting needs something to be strong against other than Dark and Normal just seemed like the most logical.
Fighting has the most strengths of any type anyway (Ice, Steel, Rock, Dark and Normal). It really doesn't "need" any more.

Though your other point sounds right.

I don't see how ice > ground works. I always think of earthquakes and stuff shattering ice. I know that ice can erode rock formations (by getting into cracks and melting and freezing everyday...) but...Rock > Ice works better in my mind. If it works like that already, shoot me.

Funny thing is, over the years, I've learned to accept the type match-ups because I'm so used to it, so in real life, when I think of grass, I don't think electricity would affect it much until my brain kicks my ass and tells me to stop playing so much Pokemon.

Ahem...Back to the topic.

I think many of the type match-ups are more for balance. But then, Electrics need more weaknesses and Poisons need more strengths. Thing is, it would be odd to just suddenly say, "...Okay, Poison now does super effective damage to Normal! :D:D:D" So...New types anyone? :)

Also, I think Normals should have way more weaknesses. :/

It kinda gets my goat how normal types aren't super-effective on ANYTHING - for me this rules out Normals from battle. A type with only weaknesses isn't a good investment.

I think that the Dark type should have a bigger niche in the battlefield. They only have a couple of types they're effective against, and no moves that deal above 80 damage (and I can only think of three that do that - Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse and Sucker Punch, which is conditional).

Also, Fight doesn't affect Ghost, but Ghost affects Fight.
Given the Ghost/Normal thing, does this seem weird to you?

Bug > Dark might also be because we perceive that bugs are crawling around in the dark. I.e. they aren't "affected" by lack of light.

The Dark type as a whole is pretty pointless. They should've given Bug the immunity to Psychic instead--it fits (bugs, in real life anyway, are mindless... can't attack someone's mind if it isn't there), it solves the problem of Psychic being too strong in R/B/Y (imagine how scary something like Heracross would be if it was IMMUNE to Psychic attacks!) and it solves the problem of Bug being too weak.

I don't see how ice > ground works. I always think of earthquakes and stuff shattering ice. I know that ice can erode rock formations (by getting into cracks and melting and freezing everyday...) but...Rock > Ice works better in my mind. If it works like that already, shoot me.

It does. :)

...I'll poke you instead.

Bug>Dark is because bugs will sometimes come out at night and stuff. Or at least that's how I see it.

Ice>Dragon because I see the dragon type as dinosaurish, and some people think that the ice age killed the dinosaurs.

Fighting>Bug because a martial artist could probably kill a fly.

Normal>Bug should also exist, because regular people can still kill ants and stuff.

But bug isn't good against fighting either!

I don't get how Water and Electricity resist Steel. Somebody help me here!

Back
Top Bottom