• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

New! The Spriter's Hangout!

Zulo

Pronoun
he
The Spriter’s Hangout
Because you are special! ;)

Welcome to the Spriter’s Hangout (Approved by Surskitty… like 6 months ago :P) where your spriting skills are put to the test, and people can see who’s the best! Basically, this is a rating service in which you move up the ranks to become the Spriting Master! To join, fill out an application (actually, just post a sprite) and you will be placed in the lowest rank.

“The lowest rank? But I am the Spriting Master!” *heroic music*

Too bad. You can start at the bottom with everyone else. To move up in rank, you have to submit three sprites that meet the requirements of that rank! Your sprites will be judged on Creativity, Quality, Difficulty, and overall “WOW” factor for a total of 40 points! The higher the rank, the closer to 40 you have to get.

“So what’s in it for me?”

There are certain privileges you get when you reach each rank. They are listed beside each rank with the qualifying sprites. There will also be contests in which you can earn special privileges! Only high enough ranked members can enter, so if you are one of them, why not give it a shot?

Here are the ranks.

Spriting Master
ONLY ONE!
Requirements- Scratched Dragon Type, fuse 10 pokemon with Lucario base, Pixel-over a Sugimori pic and recolor it. Target score- 37/40
Privileges- 5 pokemon in Display case, Custom Banner and Avatar, Sprite Requests, Ability to judge members two or more ranks below yours, Have unlimited sprites put up for C+C, Name in title, Trophy, ???

Diamond
Requirements- Scratched Grass Type, fuse 5 pokemon with Golduck base, Disguise (advance recolor) a pokemon other that Latios as Latias. Target score- 36/40
Privileges- 3 pokemon in Display case, Custom Avatar, Sprite Requests, Ability to judge members two or more ranks below yours, Trophy, 3 sprites for C+C at a time

Pearl
Requirements- Fuse any 5 pokemon and custom recolor it, Supershade any Bug type, Recolor Gallade in a custom palette (Not another pokemon’s color scheme) with scratching. Target score- 35/40
Privileges- 3 pokemon in Display case, Sprite Requests, Ability to do sprite requests, Ability to judge members two or more ranks below yours, Entrance to current contest, 3 sprites for C+C at a time

Emerald
Requirements- Fuse 3 pokemon with Mewtwo base, Make a linless of any recolored pokemon, Re-type of Zangoose to any type other than Grass or Fire. Target score- 34/40
Privileges- 2 pokemon in Display case, Sprite Requests, Ability to judge members three or more ranks below yours, Entrance to current contest, 1 sprite at a time C+C, Trophy

Sapphire
Requirements- Fuse 3 pokemon with Marill base, Make a Chao of either Venusaur, Charizard, or Blastoise, Re-type of Zangoose to any type other than Grass or Fire. Target score- 33/40
Privileges- 2 pokemon in Display case, Sprite Requests, Entrance to current contest, 1 sprite at a time C+C

Ruby
Requirements- Fuse any 3 pokemon and custom recolor it, Make an inferno of any pokemon, Make a disguise of any pokemon as any pokemon. Target score- 31/40
Privileges- 2 pokemon in Display case, Sprite Requests, Entrance to current contest, 1 sprite at a time C+C

Gold
Requirements- Fuse two Ground types, Revamp any pokemon from R/B/Y into D/P style, Make a custom Trainer Sprite. Target score- 28/40
Privileges- 1 Sprite Request at a time, 1 sprite at a time C+C, Trophy

Jewel Espeon [x] [x] [x]
PichuK [x] [x] [x]

Start Here!
Requirements- Any sprite. Target score- 25/40
Privileges- You are in! You also get a button to put in your sig (once I make it ^-^’) that shows you’re in-ness!

Peegeray [x] [x] [x]
Flora and Ashes [x] [x] [x]
Involuntary Twitch [x] [x] [x]
Blaziking 157 [x] [x] [x]
Ice Tiger [x] [x] [x]
Dragon [x] [x] [x]
Grimdour the Desecrator [x] [x] [x]
Mewtwo [x] [x] [x]
wolftamer9 [x] [x] [x]

Display Case
None yet =(

Current progressions:

Making in-ness button and topic banner… Stay tuned!

(Open to suggestions. And mods, I think this goes here. But I don't really want 5 non-mod people telling me it goes in the artist lounge section, so please only tell me if you have the power to move it. Thankies =)

Last edited:
Oh. My. Gawrsh. YOU PUT UP SPLICING WITH MEWTWO IN MY BIRTHSTONE CATEGORY THANK YOU THANK YOU THANKYOUUUUU~ *kisses feet*

Now that my pointless yelling is over, I'll help you make a banner and button. Look at my sig. I made that! The least I could do for putting Mewtwo splicing in the Emerald category!

hey, i'd like to join :) my application sprite will be my suicune/pikachu splice:
newsuichu.gif

(btw, can we use existing sprites we've made for the challenges?)

Here is a Camoflauge Hoppopotas that is for my adoptables.
I advise not looking at above spoiler.

Camopotas.png

Hey uh guys

Ever tried scratching maybe as one of the types of spriting? Oh, sure, "make a scratch dragon-type fake" is scratching, but, um, please. When you're at the "Spriting Master" level, you shouldn't need to use any sprites as a base because by then you're enough of a pixelart god that you can pixel the Mona Lisa at a 1:1 scale.

I'm also skeptical about your skills as a reviewer, to be honest, after having seen your sprite contest where you give sprites "40/40 no flaws" ratings. :/ Just saying, Zulo. It's a cool idea but it's a bit skewed.

EDIT: uh whoops sorry Zulo, I was thinking of Mewtwo. But I still think that one person's opinion on a sprite shouldn't be enough to pass someone.

...But that won't keep me from entering of course. I'll put up my most recent sprite:
ueletruxospriteic7.png

Which I actually didn't design; it's a redo of someone else's sprite and it's for a fangame of course; I hardly do stuff on my own anymore. Transparency what.

Anyway, decent enough, but you'll have to rethink this if you want it to catch on.

Gold
Requirements- Fuse two Ground types, Revamp any pokemon from R/B/Y into D/P style, Make a custom Trainer Sprite. Target score- 32/40
Privileges- 1 Sprite Request at a time, 1 sprite at a time C+C, Trophy

Silver
Requirements- Fuse two Ground types, Revamp any pokemon from R/B/Y into D/P style, Make a custom Trainer Sprite. Target score- 31/40
Privileges- 1 Sprite Request at a time, 1 sprite at a time C+C

Um, the only difference I see is one point.

Wow, this caught on fast.

ENTRANTS CLOSED UNTIL I GET THE CURRENT ONES JUDGED

And, it's not really a judgement on your skill at life or anything, so I think my one opinion should do fine.

Judgement will be slow, as I'm not gonna have much online time.

I'm not even supposed to be on now xP

EDIT: Lucas- sure, but they get less original each time I see them, so good luck.

And sure, you can use old sprites. I tried to make some of the challenges a bit specific, but I can't stop you from using old sprites.

I already asked, and you didn't answer, but I can make the banner/button for you!

No thanks, I'll make them.

Woop woop
dootw4.gif

edit: gah i'm late. oh well.

Yeah, oh well. I'll just ignore you =)

Peegaray

Originality: 9
This is actually a very original sprite. Of coarse, it’s nothing genius, so it gets a nine. Still very good.
Quality: 9
Again, a nine. Not because I don’t think anything is perfect (this almost is!), but the outlines on the hoop look spotted.
Difficulty: 10
Was this all scratched?!?
Overall WOW factor: 10
It’s so cute, and the colors blend well. The parts look the perfect size to the body too! Good sprite!

Accepted!

The base form wasn't scratched, I know, because it is the second frame of the Platinum Pikachu.

Shouldn't there be more than one judge for this? Because I really don't think one opinion should be the authority on spriting for this, sorry.

The base form wasn't scratched, I know, because it is the second frame of the Platinum Pikachu.

that's correct
the suicune features are the scratched parts

also i agree we should have another judge, and maybe entry points shouldn't be so high? i mean really, 30/40, not that many people are gonna get it unless the judge just praises every singe sprite, which is dumb

Back
Top Bottom