• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

New! The Spriter's Hangout!

I nominate Involuntary Twitch!

Yes, this sounds interesting. An actual reason to get spriting again.

...What?

Grimdour: sure you can judge, but not your own xP

I'll go change the entrance rates. How's 25 sound?

Here, I did Flora and Ashes's:

Originality: 6
Meh, nothing special here.
Quality: 8
Aside from the ear shading, which is too dark (I think you know which one I’m talking about), it looks fine. Also, the tail is much more heavily outlined than the lower body.
Difficulty: 6
Copypaste ears, copypaste tail, recolor.
WOW factor: 7
Again with the Meh.

So, you get a 27/40, therefore you are in!

And I think Involntary Twitch is busy. And seriously, do you want an essay on each sprite?
No offense twitchy =)

Sorry this is going so slow. Of coarse, Grimdour should help make it a little faster.

EDIT: Mewtwo:

Originality: 8
Good idea, but it pretty much already was camo, just differently colored.
The bright green on his face is eye-hurting, and it’s difficult to see shading.
Difficulty: 6
This is where recoloring hurts. You got a six because, from what I can see, you had to create 3 palettes. Don’t correct me if I’m wrong though; it’s in your favor. ;)
WOWness: 7
If I cut off the head, the body actually looks pretty good!

Score: 29/40

Last edited:
Lucas755: Thought it would never be done in this forum. I like how you edited the feet, btw. However, the wings seem to be darker than the body. Add some highlights where the edges of the bottom right(our left) of the wing, and same with the other one to make it pop more. Right now it blends nicely but it doesn't seem like a full Pokemon; more like Frankenstein. There also seems to be random bright outlines where it should be dark and it makes the sprite seem cluttered.

It's well done, though. Just a bit of lighting issues. I hate doing numbered ratings but oh well. This is just for scoring purposes.

Originality: 8
Quality: 6
Difficulty: 5
"WOWness"(I hate that new word.) : 5
24/40

Twitchy: The marking in the eyes needs a bit more blending. Have a look at Blaziken's feet to see what I mean. This goes much more for the back sprite; blend the inside of the color near the edges. Also the back part is inconsistent. The front says that they're side by side but the back says they're parallel. Also, the shading near the legs is too thick. You can get away with the main color and the highlight on the front leg nearest to us. It works for the Gen. III style but if this is for Gen. IV as suggested by the yellow parts and the palette number, it's all about minimalism. Use less shades.

Also your use of black outlines reflects R/S/E. You need it only when the shades gets to the back end of the light outline (3rd color) to the dark outline. No need for it in the areas directly hit by the light.

Now for the back. It's essentially the same here. Oh, and outlines. Don't go too dark. If you want, use the main shade (2nd color) to outline the very center of the highlighted area, then go from there, overlapping into the darker shades by a few pixels. Right now the light seems to be small yet concentrated.

Overall it's a great sprite with a bit of inconsistency. I highly suggest studying how the D/P shades wrap around the Pokemon, particularly on Hitmonlee.

Originality: 10
Difficulty: 8
Appeal: 6
32/40

Jewel Espeon: You've made the common mistake people do when revamping; recoloring. While the outline is off to a good start, the shades is a trainwreck. Compare how the shades work between your product and the base. Have a look.

misdreavousrevamp.png
Misdreavus

The palette may be correct but the main color here is used to dither between the highlight and the light outline. Yours uses it as standard. Every Pokemon has a different body and therefore different ways of how the light wraps around them. From what I can see from the original sprite is that the light hits its side, not the front. You did it correctly with how much highlight there must be, but it's the perspective which you got mixed with. And again, the shading in the eyes. Why does everyone forget that?

Kudos to you for at least basing it correctly; your product base had the wrong colors when it came to hair.

Originality: 4
Quality: 6
Difficulty: 7
Appeal: 5
22/40

Ah. I see what you mean with the ear thing. (Hehe, I got it off the Delcatty sprite, so...)

Honestly, I suck at scratch shading.

And scratching in general.

Just a question: why would a recolor get higher ratings than, say, a scratch?

And EDIT because I hate posting short posts; they remind me of the posting style of certain other people that may or may not be awesome but they are certainly frustrating.

I am so tempted to go all out on you with "dude that's my style, like it or leave it" and "it's rather hard to antialias between blue and yellow, especially when you're trying to avoid turning your sprite green" and the like, but complaining I will not do, even though I got an appeal rating of 6. :/

...I'm flattered for being nominated, but you're right, Zulo: who would want an essay on every sprite? You're also right that I'm busy (although apparently not so busy that I can't post such monsters as this).

Last edited:
Just a question: why would a recolor get higher ratings than, say, a scratch?
I really don't know. I would have given you at least a 10 on difficulty... Oh well, you got in.

The requirements for silver and gold are the same? Lemme check.

Blaziking:
Originality: 7
Common splice, I must say, but good execution.
Quality: 9
All I can see wrong is the tail, which is blocky and a bit disconnected looking.
Difficulty: 7
Basicly a copypaste and recolor. However, it looks like there were some difficult parts.
WOWness: 7
The big eyes make it look funny (a good funny!)

Total score: 30/40

Open again for entries!

And yes, you can try again.

OK, after two more enter, entrants closed.

I'm working on IceDragon's now. Will edit in soon.

EDIT: done

Originality: 7
Not really “OMG IT’S GENIUS” material, but the two look good together. The metallic color scheme makes the outside extra hard looking.
I see two problems- The black dots in the gray areas, and where the arm closest to us joins the body the outline is too dark. But Metang has that problem too.
Difficulty: 5
Looks really simple. Does everyone insist on copypaste fusions as their entrance sprites?!?
WOWness: 8
I don’t know if you meant it, but it looks pretty cool.

Total- 28/40

I'll do DragonFire's next.

Last edited:
It's kind of awkward because Zulo is really generous and Grimdour is rating these things really well.

Whatever, I just guessed. It was on the other page.

It's done!

Originality: 3
Hard to be original with these, but you do use a different style than I’ve seen before.
Quality: 9
Excellent quality, but you didn’t really get rid of all of the lines, some were just made lighter. Still, it looks really good!
Difficulty: 9
You lucked out here- I think linelesses are very time-consuming and annoying. This is probably the best topic for that, so you get a couple bonus points =)
WOWness: 8
That’s the highest score I would EVER give on a normal linless, but this one looks really good!

Total score: 31/40
Next: Grimdour
Then: Jewel

Yeah you were, but not anymore!

GRIMDOUR

Originality: 10
Never seen anything like it. Nice usage of pokemon, it’s hard to tell which ones you used. I’m gonna challenge myself- I see Marowak, Rayquaza, Pinsir, Arbok, Articuno, Hipowdon, Kaputops, ah I give up.
I searched this whole thing over a few times, and saw a couple thingies wrong- the arm coming out of the hole next to the mouth isn’t coming out of the right place. Some of the outlines, specifically the bottom leg, have light spots. And last, the ooze at the bottom still looks grainy from hipowdon, and doesn’t match the ooze an the wing.
Difficulty: 10
Yeah…how long did this take, forever and a year?
WOWness: 10
It’s amazing! I’ll be having nightmares now xP

Next: Jewel Espeon
Then: PichuK

Back
Top Bottom